PDA

View Full Version : PF rogue help

WarKitty
2011-02-25, 01:23 PM
I've been working on a level 11 ranged rogue build. I had planned on providing the rogue with a ring of blinking in order to make it easier to obtain sneak attack damage. Unfortunately, pathfinder specifically calls this out as not working. The wand of grease has also been nerfed so that opponents aren't necessarily flatfooted. Is there any good way to reliably ensure opponents lose their dex bonus?

randomhero00
2011-02-25, 01:25 PM
I've been working on a level 11 ranged rogue build. I had planned on providing the rogue with a ring of blinking in order to make it easier to obtain sneak attack damage. Unfortunately, pathfinder specifically calls this out as not working. The wand of grease has also been nerfed so that opponents aren't necessarily flatfooted. Is there any good way to reliably ensure opponents lose their dex bonus?

Flanking. Come up with a way to have some kind of companion. Animal, leadership, a level in summoner....don't have them attack or draw aggro, just have them flank.

Oh sorry, ranged. My bad. NM

Sillycomic
2011-02-25, 01:32 PM
Shadow dancer prestige class works very well. We have a 13th level rogue shadowdancer in our PF group and she is almost always invisible.

So long as there's poor light she can hide in plain sight for an insane stealth that no one has been able to see.

Along those same lines max out your Stealth skill. If the enemies can't see you they're considered flat footed and you can shoot away!

Wand of invisibility.

WarKitty
2011-02-25, 01:39 PM
Shadow dancer prestige class works very well. We have a 13th level rogue shadowdancer in our PF group and she is almost always invisible.

So long as there's poor light she can hide in plain sight for an insane stealth that no one has been able to see.

Along those same lines max out your Stealth skill. If the enemies can't see you they're considered flat footed and you can shoot away!

Wand of invisibility.

I'm mostly concerned that, at this level, basically everything has either darkvision or blindsight. Stealth is maxed out well and he has a level in shadowdancer currently for HiPS, but no defense against anything that can see in the dark. Which at level 11 is everything.

subject42
2011-02-25, 01:45 PM
Are you doing straight pathfinder, or do you allow 3.5 material? If it's the latter, pick up a ring of darkhidden to make yourself invisible to darkvision. I believe it's in the MiC.

Sillycomic
2011-02-25, 02:05 PM
Darkvision doesn't work against invisible creatures and doesn't stop HIPS as well as a decent stealth roll.

And Blindsense? If they rely on hearing use a thunderstone to deafen them. Then they can't locate you and you can shoot for all the Sneak attack damage you can get your hands on.

Are they using scent? Throw a huge stink bomb.

Blindsense? You can still thwart them with HiPS and invisibility, because they still need to be able to see you. And it states that concealment works and they're denied AC bonuses to creatures they can not see.

Other than that? If it's a specific campaign where the Gm keeps throwing monsters at you that make a ranged rogue useless, I would suggest switching over to melee. Better to be doing decent damage with a weapon you aren't as specialized in than to keep shooting away for small and sad amounts of damage.

WarKitty
2011-02-25, 02:19 PM
Are you doing straight pathfinder, or do you allow 3.5 material? If it's the latter, pick up a ring of darkhidden to make yourself invisible to darkvision. I believe it's in the MiC.

3.5 material is allowed.

Darkvision doesn't work against invisible creatures and doesn't stop HIPS as well as a decent stealth roll.

And Blindsense? If they rely on hearing use a thunderstone to deafen them. Then they can't locate you and you can shoot for all the Sneak attack damage you can get your hands on.

Are they using scent? Throw a huge stink bomb.

Blindsense? You can still thwart them with HiPS and invisibility, because they still need to be able to see you. And it states that concealment works and they're denied AC bonuses to creatures they can not see.

Other than that? If it's a specific campaign where the Gm keeps throwing monsters at you that make a ranged rogue useless, I would suggest switching over to melee. Better to be doing decent damage with a weapon you aren't as specialized in than to keep shooting away for small and sad amounts of damage.

Thanks. I'm actually the DM here, was requested to build a character to specifications for an inexperienced player. (Basically, he gave me a sketch and a background description of the character, I give it the mechanical body.) I'm not going out of my way to make the character useless, but I'm not going to nerf monsters either. They are level 11, after all.