PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Collosals Around

No brains
2011-02-25, 01:46 PM
I wrote this in an earlier thread:

In case anyone was wondering, I was munching and crunching around to make a RHD-trimmed half-ogre were-anaconda for an npc that some Yuan-Ti were being evil to and experementing on... including experements in were-anacondas and re-shaping its natural strength with negative energy. There's fluff.

The crunch I was going for was the biggest creature you could play with the lowest ECL to make someone who could use Fling Enemy to pitch Colossal creatures around, but maybe I should get into that more in a separate thread...

So, what can I do to get as big as I can with the least ECL so I can throw really big creatures, possibly at other creatures. The build doesn't need a were-anaconda or fling enemy, so feel free to be creative!

P.S. What are the benefits from a lv1 were-anaconda creature class?

Urpriest
2011-02-25, 03:50 PM
P.S. What are the benefits from a lv1 were-anaconda creature class?

There aren't any. Giant constrictor snakes have 11 racial hit dice. You could only play a were-anaconda as a 14th level character at minimum.

Dalek-K
2011-02-25, 04:14 PM
Hulking Hurler

You don't even need to be that big really... I think the highest damage someone came up with was a couple hundred thousand (with the right material thrown).

You would need to be large size, get transmuted somehow to giant sized (wish or miracle?) and then you would be able to pick up colossal creatures and chuck them at will

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-25, 04:30 PM
I think the highest damage someone came up with was a couple hundred thousand (with the right material thrown).

Final build calculated somewhere in the quadrillions, using some kind of asteroid/huge boulder made of.... Iridium, I want to say? Some kind of incredibly dense material. Failing that, they used lead for something in the millions. Of D6's. There's a reason Warhulking Hurler builds are usually banned in sane campaigns...

Dalek-K
2011-02-25, 04:35 PM
Hafling Hulking Hurler might be fun to make... Hmmm

Isn't there some sort of PrC that halflings can take for rock throwing... I wonder if you could combine them...

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-25, 04:46 PM
Unlikely, unless there's a Large-sized halfling racial variant out there. (Both War Hulk and Hulking Hurler require Large size or larger.)

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-25, 04:46 PM
Final build calculated somewhere in the quadrillions, using some kind of asteroid/huge boulder made of.... Iridium, I want to say?

I think it was actually Neutronium, or some such nonsense. Effectively throwing a neutron star is, I believe, the very picture of badassery.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-25, 04:53 PM
And apparently, really difficult (As throwing a neutron star should be...). Even with a Strength in the 80-90 range, you can still only throw something 5 range increments, or 50 feet. (Without far shot, of course.)

Last Laugh
2011-02-25, 05:46 PM
Hafling Hulking Hurler might be fun to make... Hmmm

Isn't there some sort of PrC that halflings can take for rock throwing... I wonder if you could combine them...

weeeeell, if your dm is nice:

Halfling base class 2/Stone blessed (Golaith, RoS) 3/Goliath Barbarian 1 (RoS)
You rage when you turn large.

But that probably won't cut it.

I am very sorry! Just now (an hour after posting this) I had the urge to look up goliath stuff, and I picked up Races of Stone, because that is where Goliaths are from.

Sorry for misinformation.

NichG
2011-02-25, 08:09 PM
Even the hulking hurler builds have trouble with a neutron star. If I recall properly, the strength score necessary is around 400. Heck, throwing the moon requires about a 300.

I like one of the various Fling Enemy feats or powers better than Hulking Hurler for silliness though. I don't remember which (maybe the Savage Species one?). The phrasing on the distance throwable is unfortunate as I believe it puts it in terms of a range increment, and so with the epic feat that extends the range of a ranged weapon to your visual range, you can (RAW at least, no DM would or should let this work) throw someone to Alpha Centauri within a single round on a clear night.

Its like the cannon transit system from the Mana games.

No brains
2011-02-28, 02:00 PM
All this is really nice and all but I can't help but notice it doesn't actually tell me how to build someone who can pitch colossal creatures around! About how high does my str need to be to lift the tarrasque and how can I get there?

NichG
2011-02-28, 04:53 PM
You probably want to use the psionic power Expansion (+2 size categories) or the Wu Jen Giant Size spell (go straight to Colossal at high enough level) in some form or other to make it easier to achieve. Get these in the form of an item, scrolls, dorjes, whatever.

It's also probably cheaper to pile on effective size categories than real ones, e.g. from things like Goliath. But I don't know how those interact with Fling Enemy.

Z3ro
2011-02-28, 05:06 PM
All this is really nice and all but I can't help but notice it doesn't actually tell me how to build someone who can pitch colossal creatures around! About how high does my str need to be to lift the tarrasque and how can I get there?

Well, I'm not too familiar with the rules regarding throwing creatures, but if you assume you want to lift the Tarrasque as a light load, the Tarrasque weights 130 tons, which is 260,000 pounds, which would require a 73 strength to lift as a light load, so that's a starting point.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-28, 07:12 PM
I think there are greater creatures to go were than anaconda.

Actually... I guess it's suggest primeval week. I'm going to suggest primeval. You can only primeval shape into a monster of 8 hd or less, and 1 size category larger than you.

So you can be a umm... Half-Giant Half-minotaur, for a lot of strength, but mainly large size and powerful build and the giant type. 3 feats later and you have fling ally and fling foe, and theoretically your powerful build should let you count as huge for it (or large if the dm rules it doesn't count).

Primeval can let you shape yourself into a megaraptor, a huge dinosaur. And since you still have stubby little arms you can still throw. You can also probably fling with your teeth, to my knowledge it's not specific. But with that you're "gargantuan" for the sake of fling.

The levels before Primeval? To be honest I'm not too certain of the best mix. You want 8 BAB, so you should probably have... Wait, no. Ok, for race go Goliath. To my understanding there's a goliath barbarian feature which allows you to count as a size bigger when raging. Colossal. Now go psychic warrior for the rest, and expansion yourself up two sizes. Now you can "fling" all enemy sizes, per rules.

I think there are holes in this. I think. But I can't find them myself, so I'll ask others to.