PDA

View Full Version : New Race: the Singing Shadows + O LA PEACH

randomhero00
2011-02-25, 01:57 PM
Pathfinder

+2 charisma -2 str

-2 to stealth: they have difficulty being quiet. +2 to perform (singing)

Favored class: Bard

Racial type: Reptilian

Shatter 3/day Caster level = HD/2. DC= 10 + HD/2 + cha mod

1/day/special to regain ability(see below) they may "Scream the shadows forth" Their throat engorges and a cacophony of sound bursts forth from their entire body. A cone out to 50 feet that may daze. Damage is 1d4 lvl/2. DC = 10+ 1/2 level + cha mod. If creature fails then they're dazed for 1d4 -1 round(s) (min 1 round)

Echo location: Essentially (works same as, but uses hearing instead) scent.

They are medium creatures that seem to be made of light and shadow. May light their own square as light spell. 30 ft movespeed.

When looked at closely they almost seem to vibrate in high intensity. Their scales are bioluminescent and often change with mood or tone in singing. They are far off relatives of dragons and kobolds. A few are even born with (non-working) vestigial wings.

Has there own specific musical language that few understand, called Elvis that they gain in addition to common.

They tend to be underground dwelling types that live in musically acoustic caverns. They build them just right (using shatter) so that they may sing in chorus as beautifully as anything most races have ever heard. Often they are so loud that even surface dwellers swear they hear the ethereal music when it gets quiet at night.

They must sing underground, or a specifically acoustic environment (such as a stage), to regain their Scream the Shadows Forth ability. They must do this for at least 5 minutes. Anything within close to a mile will be able to hear the singing. They must sing in elvis to retune their body.

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-25, 09:13 PM
what speed?
what size?
what creature type?

Even once per day, that scream is more damaging than any LA +0 racial feature that I'm aware of and dazing foes for multiple rounds is a bit powerful.

Xallace
2011-02-26, 10:53 AM
what speed?
what size?
what creature type?

Even once per day, that scream is more damaging than any LA +0 racial feature that I'm aware of and dazing foes for multiple rounds is a bit powerful.

Although the Save DC is terrible until the higher levels, at which point it catches up and becomes average. Save DC of Level + Chosen Stat means that at low levels almost nobody will be failing their saves.

That said, I agree with you.

Perhaps we could also get some fluff?

randomhero00
2011-02-26, 03:33 PM
Rebalanced em, should be a lot better. :)

akma
2011-02-26, 05:26 PM
There is barely any fluff.

Zaydos
2011-02-26, 05:34 PM
Let's see net positive ability score modifier and a bonus to mental stats.

Blindsense 10 or 60 feet.

Per encounter (if dungeon crawling) daze with a very wonky DC (normally it's 10 +1/2 character level + Stat) which makes it almost useless at low levels.

And Shatter at will.

Besides the almost total lack of fluff, that's not LA +0.

If they're pathfinder (stealth as its own skill would indicate such) then they're a little better than if they're 3.5 (I don't play pathfinder and don't know the balance as well, I do know all the races are stronger) but they aren't LA +0 in 3.5 at least.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-26, 05:59 PM
First off, what in the Nine Hells is a Singing Shadow? I like some delicious fluff to go with my crunch, so I know what I'm looking at and whether or not it's appropriate.

+2 charisma

-2 to stealth: they have difficulty being quiet and unseen

...Pathfinder, I'm guessing? 3.5 doesn't have a "Stealth" skill. Either way, if you're 'brewing something up that's not 3.5, you should let us know, as that's sort of the default assumption 'round these parts. The ability bonus without an ability penalty is unusual, but not unprecedented.

I don't understand how a shadow has trouble being unseen though...

Shatter at will

As what caster level? With what ability to determine the DC? Also, shatter is a very useful spell, and giving a level 2 spell at-will is not something that should be done on a LA +0 race.

1/day/special they may "Scream the shadows forth" its a cone out to 50 feet that may daze. Damage is 1d4 lvl/2. DC = level + cha mod. If creature fails then they're dazed for 1d4 -1 round(s) (min 1 round)

1/day/special? What's the special qualifier? These 3 part things are usually something like 1/day/4 HD or things like that. The DC should be (10 + 1/2 character level + Charisma modifier). Also, it's a HUGE cone with some really potent effects (Daze) tied to it, and a long duration. Not LA +0 stuff.

They are medium creatures that seem to be made of light and shadow. May light their own square as light spell. 30 ft movespeed. Their skin glows like moonlight, their eyes like the sun. When looked at closely they almost seem to vibrate in high intensity.

So light at will as well, albeit only on themselves. Alright.

Has there own specific musical language that few understand, called Elvis that they gain in addition to common.

...um, what? They speak Elvis? As in, this guy?

http://www.dailycomedy.com/images/jokes/b/elvis.jpg

Echo location: Essentially blindsense within 10ft. If underground (air environment) then within 60ft.

Blindsense is a powerful feature. Blindsense out to 60ft is really potent.

They must sing underground, or a specifically acoustic environment, to regain their Scream the Shadows Forth ability.[/U][/quote]

...how often? For how long? And so forth.

In conclusion, I want to know more about the race, and what/who they are. You have some decent concepts, but the execution is rather lackluster. It can be polished, but we'll need more to work with.

randomhero00
2011-02-27, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the racial language is named after Elvis :) Revamped a lot of it.

To be clear, the daze ability is at most once a day, and then they must perform the special singing ritual to become in tune again to use it again (which alerts everything around you if you're trying to be quiet. So most likely won't see much use, think about it. And if you're above ground you need to find an acoustic place.) Either way its certainly not an encounter power, more like a 1/week power.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-27, 02:24 PM
To be clear, the daze ability is at most once a day, and then they must perform the special singing ritual to become in tune again to use it again (which alerts everything around you if you're trying to be quiet. So most likely won't see much use, think about it. And if you're above ground you need to find an acoustic place.) Either way its certainly not an encounter power, more like a 1/week power.

Still to strong for a racial, honestly. A 50 foot cone of 1-3 rounds dazed is basically an encounter ending ability, and many parties could manage to get that refresh requirement filled quite easily. Let's try something (in proper race formatting). I weakened the daze effect (which is very strong) to damage + deafen (still good), and gave them back blindsense...albeit as a use-activated ability, which I think makes sense.

Singing Shadow
Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
Statistics: -2 Strength, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Base Land Speed: 30 feet
+2 to Perform (vocals): Singing Shadows are natural singers.
Shatter 3/day (Sp): A Singing Shadow may cast shatter 3/day as a Sorcerer with a caster level equal to half the Singing Shadow's class level. The save DC is Charisma based. This ability has only a vocal component.
Scream the Shadows Forth (Su): Once per day a Singing Shadow may unleash a cacophony of noise, ripping into creatures around them. All creatures within a 20 foot cone must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Singing Shadow's class level + the Singing Shadow's Charisma modifier) or take 1d4 damage per class level (minimum 1d4) and be deafened for 1d4 rounds. A successful save result in half damage, and negates the deafened effect. This is a sonic effect.
Echo Location (Ex): A Singing Shadow may spend a Swift action to pinpoint foes by echo location, provided he does not speak or otherwise use any abilities with a verbal component during his turn. Until the start of his next turn, he gains blindsense out to 60 feet.
Automatic Languages: Common, Elvis. Bonus languages: Any (except secret languages).
Favored Class: Bard.

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 11:46 AM
I like it. You took my idea and balanced it. Thanks.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-23, 11:51 AM
I like it. You took my idea and balanced it. Thanks.

Always happy to help. :smallbiggrin: