PDA

View Full Version : Grafts [3.5]

Loki_42
2011-02-25, 03:24 PM
What are all the books that contain grafts?

Also, what is the difference between "old" and "new" style grafts?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-25, 03:30 PM
Difference on Old and New grafts is wheather or not you can combine them with other types of grafts, Old one you could have a Maug graft, an undead graft and dragon graft without problems, new grafts you can only have one type of graft in your character

Old Grafts
Fiend Folio: Abberant, Fiendish, Illithid, Maug grafts
Libris Mortis: Undead Grafts

New Grafts:
There are several across the Eberron books; but I don't have them on hand to say on which one exactly, from the top of my memory Construct elemental and plants grafts in Magic of Eberron
Races of the Dragon has Draconic Grafts

LOTRfan
2011-02-25, 03:31 PM
There be grafts in Faiths of Eberron. Construct type.

dsmiles
2011-02-25, 03:32 PM
More new grafts in LoM.

Urpriest
2011-02-25, 03:35 PM
Difference on Old and New grafts is wheather or not you can combine them with other types of grafts, Old one you could have a Maug graft, an undead graft and dragon graft without problems, new grafts you can only have one type of graft in your character

Old Grafts
Fiend Folio: Abberant, Fiendish, Illithid, Maug grafts
Draconomicon: Dragon grafts
Libris Mortis: Undead Grafts

New Grafts:
There are several accross the Eberron books; but I don't have them on hand to say on which one exactly, from the top of my memory Contrucht elemental and plants grafts in Magic of Eberron

This is false, IIRC. There are Dragon Grafts in Dragon MagicRaces of the Dragon (thanks for the correction, always get those mixed up), and they are new style. There are no old style Dragon Grafts.

Also, OP: how did you hear the terms "old style" and "new style" with regard to grafts without hearing about what they meant? The only time I hear those terms brought up is when someone's explaining the different types of grafts.

Alleine
2011-02-25, 03:45 PM
Old Grafts are in:
Libris Mortis (Undead)
Lords of Madness (Aboleth, Illithid, Sithilar)
Fiend Folio (Undead, Fiendish, Maug, Illithid, Yuan Ti, Beholder)
Serpent Kingdoms (Yuan Ti) These were reprinted in Fiend Folio

New Grafts:
Faiths of Eberron (Construct)
Magic of Eberron (Deathless, Plant, Elemental)
Races of the Dragon(Draconic Grafts)

Old Grafts are basically just slotless magic items that can't be removed easily. You can mix and match, and pile them on from from every different source. The only penalties are associated with Fiendish grafts as they can potentially turn you evil over time.

New Grafts Only let you have one type of graft. It's either draconic, plant, undead, or etc. No mixing at all. Not only that but there's an upper limit of 5 grafts on a person, severely limiting your options. New Grafts also have penalties, usually a skill penalty or hp penalty that is permanent, though some of them also penalize ability scores. The one extra benefit that they have though, is that you tend to get a bonus for every so many grafts you have. For example, draconic grafts grant you DR/Magic that goes up for every draconic graft you get beyond the first one.

Loki_42
2011-02-25, 05:02 PM
This is false, IIRC. There are Dragon Grafts in Dragon MagicRaces of the Dragon (thanks for the correction, always get those mixed up), and they are new style. There are no old style Dragon Grafts.

Also, OP: how did you hear the terms "old style" and "new style" with regard to grafts without hearing about what they meant? The only time I hear those terms brought up is when someone's explaining the different types of grafts.
I had heard them explained once, but had no need to use grafts then. Now I do, and couldn't remember what the difference was.

Also, thanks for the help everyone.:smallsmile:

Edit: In regard to the "new" style of grafts, what would need to be done to make them compatible with old grafts, and are there old style construct grafts?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-25, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the correction..a quick check reveals you are right.

OP sorry if my post caused confusion

Urpriest
2011-02-25, 08:26 PM
I had heard them explained once, but had no need to use grafts then. Now I do, and couldn't remember what the difference was.

Also, thanks for the help everyone.:smallsmile:

Edit: In regard to the "new" style of grafts, what would need to be done to make them compatible with old grafts, and are there old style construct grafts?

Illithid grafts are the only type that has both new and old grafts, IIRC. Though Maug grafts are "construct" grafts in a certain sense, so that might count as an old-style Construct graft.

What do you mean by "compatible" in this context? It could mean a lot of different things.

senrath
2011-02-25, 08:39 PM
The easiest way to make the two types compatible is to drop the silly "you can't have multiple types of grafts" rule from the new ones.

Loki_42
2011-02-25, 09:01 PM
The easiest way to make the two types compatible is to drop the silly "you can't have multiple types of grafts" rule from the new ones.

That's mainly what I was asking about. I just wanted to know if it would be unbalancing. I guess not. Awesome.

senrath
2011-02-25, 09:03 PM
I don't think it would be unbalancing, but then again I don't have much experience with using grafts.

Vknight
2011-02-25, 10:10 PM
It all depends on how you do it.

Have you heard of the 'Emerald Legion'?

lightningcat
2011-02-25, 10:24 PM

I like that restriction myself, so just ported it over to the old style grafts. Its not that much of a restriction, but adds flavor.

Vknight
2011-02-25, 10:52 PM
True but it does not make sense you can't put a warforged arm on and also replace a different arm with an Illithids or demons.

Sinpoder
2011-02-25, 10:56 PM
Hmmmm..... Is there any good grafts for a Paladin.... or would that be something completely against every code a Paladin has..... Note his Paladin has 10 levels in Gray Guard so he can bend the rules alittle....

Vknight
2011-02-25, 11:03 PM
Go for a Construct arm. Lose your own arm honorablly in battle or get it saying its to improve your power to help your faith.

dsmiles
2011-02-25, 11:06 PM
Silthilar grafts from LoM are pretty nifty. Silthilar are even (usually) CG, so a Paladin should have very few qualms about accepting their help.

Vknight
2011-02-25, 11:11 PM
That is also true, but the idea of having a Paladin that has a robo-arm to be really awesome.

"Don't worry guys my robo-arm also has a grappling hook."

AtomicKitKat
2011-02-27, 09:48 PM
Old Grafts are in:
Libris Mortis (Undead)
Lords of Madness (Aboleth, Illithid, Sithilar)
Fiend Folio (Undead, Fiendish, Maug, Illithid, Yuan Ti, Beholder)
Serpent Kingdoms (Yuan Ti) These were reprinted in Fiend Folio

New Grafts:
Faiths of Eberron (Construct)
Magic of Eberron (Deathless, Plant, Elemental)
Races of the Dragon(Draconic Grafts)

Old Grafts are basically just slotless magic items that can't be removed easily. You can mix and match, and pile them on from from every different source. The only penalties are associated with Fiendish grafts as they can potentially turn you evil over time.

Actually, Illithid and/or Aboleth grafts make you more vulnerable to the respective races' mental control powers, IIRC. Also, Aboleth grafts require their mucus every day or something, else they rot and fall off.

Aharon
2011-02-28, 03:06 AM
The exact wordig of the New Graft rule also makes it RAW to use all kinds of Old Grafts you want, and one kind of new graft:

(The rules presented here might deviate from those of the grafts presented
in other books. These rules apply only to the grafts
in this book, and not to any other form of graft previously
introduced.)

The rule that you can only have one kind of grafts doesn't apply to the old grafts because of that.