PDA

View Full Version : Characters that Work Well Together

Elric VIII
2011-02-25, 03:50 PM
In an upcoming game I will be playing a Wizard/Crusader/JPM and a friend will be playing a Bard of some sort. I thought it might be interesting if we created the characters to work together with a common backstory since the two character types can work very well together.

I was wondering if there are any feats that grant a mechanical benefit if taken by two players or something that links the players. I know of the Thunder Twin feat and would like to find other things that are similar to that.

Thanks.

dsmiles
2011-02-25, 03:53 PM
Thunder Twins from FR, but that's for Dwarves only.

Gnaeus
2011-02-25, 03:56 PM
You didn't specify edition or books, but Pathfinder has a number of Teamwork feats that only function if you are working with someone else with the same feat. They are on the Pathfinder SRD (printed in the PF APG).

Elric VIII
2011-02-25, 04:08 PM
You didn't specify edition or books, but Pathfinder has a number of Teamwork feats that only function if you are working with someone else with the same feat. They are on the Pathfinder SRD (printed in the PF APG).

Sorry, it's 3.5 with any WotC book and Dragon Magazine available. Is Pathfinder back-compatible?

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-25, 04:13 PM
Completely and totally backwards compatible.

The only thing Pathfinder changed to the system are combat maneuvers and skill points.

nedz
2011-02-25, 05:22 PM
Completely and totally backwards compatible.

The only thing Pathfinder changed to the system are combat maneuvers and skill points.

And the base classes, and many of the spells, and ...

Gnaeus
2011-02-25, 05:29 PM
Teamwork feats from PF should have no problem in 3.5, if the DM is ok with them.

jiriku
2011-02-25, 05:32 PM
Feats, not so much. Well, the Cooperative Spell metamagic feat (from Complete Arcane) makes your spells slightly more powerful if you cast the same spell at the same time while standing next to each other, but it's kinda lame.

Spells and class features offer more options. You both have access to a spell from Spell Compendium called share talents that makes either of you good at a skill if one of you has it. There's also a bard spell that grants you more caster level while he concentrates. You can use mystic surge to boost his caster level on a spell he casts.

The White Raven Tactics maneuver, while just generally an excellent maneuver, is especially useful to facilitate combos where, say, he starts a bardic song, you attack, then you give him another turn with WRT and he follows up with a spell. Extra kudos if you can deliver an attack that debuffs the opponent's saves so that his spell is more likely to work.

Crusader maneuvers in general contain a lot of team-oriented options, but work best if your ally is a melee combatant, which bards don't generally do. Consider using polymorph to turn him into a sturdier, more melee-worthy form, or summoning a meat shield to cover his back.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-25, 08:23 PM
Don't forget to have the bard get the feat that lets him cast (and use spell completion, spell trigger, and command word magic items) while doing bard song! (Melodic Casting, I think) Also the feat Song of the Heart (+1 to numeric effects of most bardic music abilities)

The spell that increases caster level is called Harmonic Chorus. It gives a +2 to caster level and save DCs, and is a 2nd level spell. Also pick up Sonorus Hum, so you don't have to concentrate on it! (Both spells are in the Spell Compendium.)