PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Portal gun?

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-25, 04:15 PM
I seem to recall reading a trick someone had come up with to effectively create the Portal Gun from Portal.

Does anyone else remember this? Am I just going crazy? If someone would be kind enough to throw a link my way, I'd be eternally grateful.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 06:35 PM
Not the best way I'm sure, but a Passage weapon from OA can make an interdimensional portal 1/day. Nothing says it has to be melee, so a Passage Crossbow can act like a portal gun 1/day with it.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-25, 06:40 PM
...Staff of Teleportation Circle?

Vknight
2011-02-25, 06:44 PM
I think it actually may have involved 'Passage' or something similar with a second item to give it repeat uses.

Loki Eremes
2011-02-25, 10:48 PM
maybe a Dimensional Door wand
but it will worn out eventually and it doesnt function like Portal cannon, beacuse Dimensional Door does not have the limitations Portal's has.

Are you looking to open a portal in a place and then shooting the other one?

WeeFreeMen
2011-02-25, 11:28 PM
Gate (lv9) spell comes to mind for an effective "Portal" feel.
Expensive tho.

Vknight
2011-02-25, 11:44 PM
True but get it enchanted into a Crossbow so it only fires those and has some limits it could be At-Will usage

SurlySeraph
2011-02-25, 11:52 PM
I think it actually may have involved 'Passage' or something similar with a second item to give it repeat uses.

Wand of Passage, wand of that Eberron spell that gives you action points and that feat that lets you burn action points for wand charges?

Ionizer
2011-02-26, 12:43 AM
Idea: Somehow weaponize Ring Gates? (Requires rules-bending/homebrew)

Ring Gates

These always come in pairs—two iron rings, each about 18 inches in diameter. The rings must be on the same plane of existence and within 100 miles of each other to function. Whatever is put through one ring comes out the other, and up to 100 pounds of material can be transferred each day. (Objects only partially pushed through and then retracted do not count.) This useful device allows for instantaneous transport of items or messages, and even attacks. A character can reach through to grab things near the other ring, or even stab a weapon through if so desired. Alternatively, a character could stick his head through to look around. A spellcaster could even cast a spell through a ring gate. A Small character can make a DC 13 Escape Artist check to slip through. Creatures of Tiny, Diminutive, or Fine size can pass through easily. Each ring has a "entry side" and an "exit side," both marked with appropriate symbols.

Strong conjuration; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, gate; Price 40,000 gp; Weight 1 lb. each.

First off, you need to make them bigger (6ft diameter?) and remove the weight/day limitation. Then, get a permanent Shrink Item cast on each one (Shrink Item usually doesn't work on Magic Items, somehow make it work, like making it an intrinsic part of these "'New and Improved' Ring Gates"). Now, affix Shrunken Ring Gates to Modified Raptor Arrows (re-fluffed as Raptor Crossbow Bolts if you really want a "Gun," also make sure they're made of adamantine so they can inbed themselves in any object/wall), 'modified' to return with a command word instead of automatically. Using a Double Crossbow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) allows you to fire both "portals" in one round.

Now, when the Raptor Bolt strikes a solid surface, the Ring Gate affixed to it will expand (as per the Shrink Item spell) and stay there until re-shrunk and recalled.

Vknight
2011-02-26, 01:05 AM
Wand of Passage, wand of that Eberron spell that gives you action points and that feat that lets you burn action points for wand charges?

Yeah it was something like that. I really need to go back rereading my books.

Endarire
2011-02-26, 02:07 AM
That spell is unfettered heroism from Races of Eberron 190.

Coidzor
2011-02-26, 06:19 AM
Idea: Somehow weaponize Ring Gates? (Requires rules-bending/homebrew)

Don't even need to weaponize it. You just need some means of 1. avoiding the hard limit on material through the gate in a day, 2. making one of them project forward (telekinesis?), 3. affixing them to an anchored location/point in space and then detaching them when it comes time to reuse 'em.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-26, 06:26 AM
"As part of an optional test protocol, we are pleased to present an amusing fact. The device is now more valuable than the organs and combined incomes of everyone in [subject hometown here]."

I'm not too worried about how much this item would cost, just about how precisely to produce the thing with 3.5 RAW.

Ring Gates seem to be the obvious way to go, but there are some real road blocks, as pointed out above. I had really thought that such a thing had already been accomplished, though... hmm...

Ravens_cry
2011-02-26, 06:33 AM
Not the best way I'm sure, but a Passage weapon from OA can make an interdimensional portal 1/day. Nothing says it has to be melee, so a Passage Crossbow can act like a portal gun 1/day with it.
Can you enchant bolts with it? Sure, its expensive, but now you can fire as many times as you have bolts.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-26, 06:40 AM
Can you enchant bolts with it? Sure, its expensive, but now you can fire as many times as you have bolts.

The weapon property is listed for both melee and ranged weapons, with a price of 32,400gp. If I'm not mistaken, you could, then, apply the melee version of the weapon enchantment to a quiver of 50 arrows, for a total of 648gp/arrow.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-26, 06:54 AM
The weapon property is listed for both melee and ranged weapons, with a price of 32,400gp. If I'm not mistaken, you could, then, apply the melee version of the weapon enchantment to a quiver of 50 arrows, for a total of 648gp/arrow.
Yeeks, with that much gold you could probably just deform spacetime and make Portals that way.:smalltongue: