PDA

View Full Version : Playing as a Coincidence? (3.5)

Qwertystop
2011-02-25, 05:47 PM
I've been trying to find a way to, as the title says, play D&D 3.5 as a coincidence. In other words, I would want to play as something that's very hard to detect and can move stuff around and make stuff happen (moreso than just a Sorcerer w/Greater Invisibility, Ghostform, and Mage Hand). I put a request in on the Request a Homebrew thread, but does anyone know of an already existing way to get this ? Any source is fine as long as you can tell me what the source is, including homebrew.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-25, 05:52 PM
At Epic Level the Void Incarnate (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030418a) PrC likes to be unnoticeable.

Get Hide in Plain Site and pimp your Hide score and you can literally choose to be unnoticeable because most effects only guard against spells etc. not mudane skills.

Cespenar
2011-02-25, 06:20 PM
Though not a very powerful choice, the Shadowdancer PrC can fulfill some or most of your needs.

Dimers
2011-02-25, 08:05 PM
How about as an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm), using the assume likeness ability to assume the likeness of an invisible stalker? You're incorporeal, basically always truly invisible, able to move things around at will, not detectable as psionic (and that means detect magic doesn't see you if the campaign has psi/magic equivalency), and you can use bunches of psionic powers of your choosing.

Qwertystop
2011-02-25, 08:17 PM
Where's the Shadowdancer?
Also, I was hoping to be able to do this at a fairly low level. My optimal point to reach is the ability to be a fairly useful part of a party without anyone in the party knowing it (without being told) at the earliest level possible, and being a good way along by level 5.

Of course, that's probably not possible, but it's what I'm aiming for.

EDIT:

How about as an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm), using the assume likeness ability to assume the likeness of an invisible stalker? You're incorporeal, basically always truly invisible, able to move things around at will, not detectable as psionic (and that means detect magic doesn't see you if the campaign has psi/magic equivalency), and you can use bunches of psionic powers of your choosing.
I can never remember, does the +4 LA stack with the 4 RHD, bringing me to an EL 8 who manifests as a 4th level telepath with a few extra abilities, or would I be EL 4?
If it's EL 4, that's great, but level 8 is a bit high considering that I wouldn't be able to work toward it level-by-level.

ffone
2011-02-25, 08:29 PM
Shadowdancer is a core / SRD PrC. Google "shadowdancer" and it should be 1st result. It has 10 ranks of things as prereqs so min level to get HiPS that way is 8th. You can also get HiPs and some invisibility spells from Assassin.

You can also get an inferior version of HiPS from the Dark template (LA +1), as well as a 'total concealment except in daylight' ability (similar to a shadow mastiff's) from the Shadow template (Lords of Mandess, IIRS it's LA +2, or maybe it wasn't for PCs a all).

IIRC there's an exploit for getting HiPS at level one w/o a LA - there was some feat in Drow of the Underdark for using one's Darkness spell-like ability to create a HiPS effect (intended for drow and tieflings that have it 1/day)... but I think the Warlock and-or Dragon Adept can get at-will Darkness.

Dimers
2011-02-25, 08:39 PM
I can never remember, does the +4 LA stack with the 4 RHD, bringing me to an EL 8 who manifests as a 4th level telepath with a few extra abilities, or would I be EL 4?

The former, EL8. I would think that's about as low as you can go to be intangible to the world whenever you want to be. It's a very powerful ability -- you'd make a nearly perfect scout, spy or assassin, and extremely hard to affect in combat.

If you're looking to gradually build up to being intangible, the Warlock base class might be okay. You can get flight and standard invisibility at-will eventually, so you'd be pretty hard to find if you didn't want to be found, and I imagine it'd be easy to homebrew a mage hand or telekinesis effect.

Qwertystop
2011-02-25, 08:46 PM
The former, EL8. I would think that's about as low as you can go to be intangible to the world whenever you want to be. It's a very powerful ability -- you'd make a nearly perfect scout, spy or assassin, and extremely hard to affect in combat.

If you're looking to gradually build up to being intangible, the Warlock base class might be okay. You can get flight and standard invisibility at-will eventually, so you'd be pretty hard to find if you didn't want to be found, and I imagine it'd be easy to homebrew a mage hand or telekinesis effect.

It wasn't that I prefer being able to build up to it, just that it's kind of annoying that in order to play as this, the campaign would need to start at level 8. I'd prefer getting it all at once for RP purposes, I just wish I could do it without needing a mid-level start.

Ah well, making this as a backup character anyway, so hopefully the campaign will get to at least level 8 before I need it.

Urpriest
2011-02-25, 09:17 PM
While it similarly only works at the mid-levels, Fiend of Possession, Ghost, and Pixie are all great for this sort of concept. Just don't take them all at once.

Dimers
2011-02-25, 10:19 PM
While it similarly only works at the mid-levels, Fiend of Possession, Ghost, and Pixie are all great for this sort of concept. Just don't take them all at once.

*snerk* :smallbiggrin: It takes quite a bit to make me actually Laugh Our Loud, but that did it. :smallamused: