PDA

View Full Version : Some great player conflict

Apophis775
2011-02-26, 01:21 AM
So, the PCs are traveling in a dungeon and run into a crying kobold. They manage to make him a friend, and agree to talk with his clan leader about recovering their lost clan dragon. Anyway, moments before the kobold they talked to leads them to their leader, the ranger (who has favored enemy dragon) askes the favored soul if she understands draconic, they says "If the dragon is evil, will you help me kill it?"

T_T

This resulted in 4 PCs surrendering and 1 dead (at the hands of another PC).

Ashram
2011-02-26, 01:41 AM
It happens. Was there any reason the ranger had Favored Enemy: Dragons? Some part of their backstory or did he just not like dragons? Along the same lines, depending on what level they are, they shouldn't automatically know what color dragon corresponds to what alignment.

Hopefully the ranger didn't take it too personally that the rest of the party violently disagreed with him.

Vknight
2011-02-26, 01:50 AM
I would that is why all my characters once they can get 'Explosive Runes' insribed along the inside of there clothing then connected to a large amount of alchemical explosives.
That showed the party when my character used Fireball then ran right into the center the fighter got a AOP. Dm said I get 4seconds before I fall to unconsiousness. "I read my cloak."
We calculated damage at enough and decided against rolling. Best part it was all fire and my guy was half RedDragon so he is at -1 then heals from a regeneration amulet and walks away.

But it makes sense to kill something that very well may be evil and a threat at latter points within its life. Also why did they not kill the kobold like reasonable people why let it live?

Ashram
2011-02-26, 01:58 AM
I would that is why all my characters once they can get 'Explosive Runes' insribed along the inside of there clothing then connected to a large amount of alchemical explosives.
That showed the party when my character used Fireball then ran right into the center the fighter got a AOP. Dm said I get 4seconds before I fall to unconsiousness. "I read my cloak."
We calculated damage at enough and decided against rolling. Best part it was all fire and my guy was half RedDragon so he is at -1 then heals from a regeneration amulet and walks away.

But it makes sense to kill something that very well may be evil and a threat at latter points within its life. Also why did they not kill the kobold like reasonable people why let it live?

A. Not every kobold is evil,
B. Just because YOU know that kobolds are usually LE, does not mean the characters do unless they've either cast Detect Evil OR they've had prior experience with kobolds. This is the same with dragons.

Apophis775
2011-02-26, 02:17 AM
these kobolds actually were trying to recruit the PCs to help rescue their dragon. the Kobolds (despite living near a human settlement) were uninterested in the humans, and more interested in raising their wyrmling. In fact, the PCs were there on a partly unrelated matter.

I actually encouraged the Pcs the work with the kobolds, and they had a pretty decent reward if they had saved the dragon. Sadly, they are currently imprisoned until play again.

Apophis775
2011-02-26, 02:21 AM
It happens. Was there any reason the ranger had Favored Enemy: Dragons? Some part of their backstory or did he just not like dragons? Along the same lines, depending on what level they are, they shouldn't automatically know what color dragon corresponds to what alignment.

Hopefully the ranger didn't take it too personally that the rest of the party violently disagreed with him.

Actually, he was a racist against dragons.

Also, it wasn't the rest of the party that disagreed, just the person who managed 3 sneak attacks.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-26, 02:26 AM
So this guy talks about killing the kobold's wyrmling, in draconic, in front of them?

... Where's the survival instinct? He might as well moon them, Braveheart style.

VacantPsalm
2011-02-26, 02:52 AM
...But it makes sense to kill something that very well may be evil and a threat at latter points within its life. Also why did they not kill the kobold like reasonable people why let it live?I'm an Artificer who is a nymph's hubby (nymph's kiss the right way, roleplaying it) and am going with the spontaneous feyish personality thing. I heard someone crying so I asked what was wrong. When he started acting friendly we went along with it despite him being a kobold.

DragonBaneDM
2011-02-26, 03:05 AM
I'm having a LITTLE bit of trouble understanding.

You jump from "will you help me kill it?" to the aftermath of the attack. Ya left out the juicy part friend! =D

Praytell, what happened in between???

Ashram
2011-02-26, 03:06 AM
So this guy talks about killing the kobold's wyrmling, in draconic, in front of them?

... Where's the survival instinct? He might as well moon them, Braveheart style.

This right here. No offense, but if the guy didn't think to whisper this tidbit of information to the favored soul (Which would still allow for a Listen check, but still) then he probably deserved to get gutted by the rogue.

Out of curiosity, can you tell us the color of the dragon?

Edhelras
2011-02-26, 03:10 AM
The idea of "racism" vs. dragons is somewhat peculiar, I think. Usually, I would think of that phenomen as occurring between creatures that are generally of the same species, but divided into subgroups by easily recognizable clues, usually visual ones like skin color (but in DnD a lot of other visual clues; like height and facial hair (dwarves), shape of ears (elves), size and furriness of feet (halflings).
One might imagine a society where dragons in human shape lived among the populace, either elevated above, or looked down upon, the other humanoids.

But apart from that particular setting - which wouldn't necessarily be transferable to the dragon living with kobolds - it's a bit strange to speak of "racism" vs. dragons from a humanoid IMO. Like me, I thoroughly believe myself superior to cows, but I don't think about myself as "racist" vs. cows.

Maybe you meant "he just hates dragons", which is OK, but it would add depth to his character if there was any kind of back-story to it. Not just to add fluff and satisfy the RP crowd - but since this trait resulted in intraparty killing, it would be beneficial for the future of the group if this dramatic event had a solid "justification" behind it.

IF he has a general hatred vs. dragons (the typical reason being a dragon ate his Mum), then I think it would be quite reasonable for him to wage war against any dragon. In fact, independent of the dragon's alignment. He might just as well get into trouble by being hostile towards a friendly metallic wanting to help the party.

On the other hand, "favored enemy" doesn't have to, IMO, necessarily imply that you enjoy killing creatures of that kind. It might just as well signify an intimate relationship and knowledge about those creatures, which gives you all the other non-combat features of the Favored Enemy-feat. AND, in the event that combat ensues, also gives you a bonus on your attacks vs. that creature.

Anyway, sounds like an interesting quest idea. Where is that wyrmling's mother, BTW?

Vknight
2011-02-26, 10:32 AM
A. Not every kobold is evil,
B. Just because YOU know that kobolds are usually LE, does not mean the characters do unless they've either cast Detect Evil OR they've had prior experience with kobolds. This is the same with dragons.

Which is part of the fun.
He did so preperations were made. Favored Enemy was 'Kobolds', then 'Dragons' and so on and so forth.

Apophis775
2011-02-28, 02:35 AM
I'm having a LITTLE bit of trouble understanding.

You jump from "will you help me kill it?" to the aftermath of the attack. Ya left out the juicy part friend! =D

Praytell, what happened in between???

The Rogue sneak-attacked and dealt him a little more than half his health in damage, then won initiative and did it again. This left him unconscious and bleeding out. Perfect for his third sneak attack.

Hatchet91
2011-03-14, 11:09 AM
Sooo what may have happend was something along the lines we were given the choice of killing kobolds who were being freindly or kill the ranger who is kicking in doors yelling something about killing dragons every 30 seconds.
also the kobolds may have given us the option of dealing with him, or they were going to deal with us, which led to a sneak attack surprise which was followed by a sneak attack of winning inititive, which put him unconscios when a certain "fey type personality" tried to use diplomacy our way out of it where he failed and were told to "throw down your weapons" and the rogue may have "thrown" his weapon down for a sneak attack into the twitching ranger body. and then proceded to drop his weapons and play nice with the kobolds

(CN rogue with aspirations of spy master)

Fitz10019
2011-03-15, 08:11 AM
Spymaster, sure...
But he just met the Special requirement of the Invisible Blade.