PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-26, 03:09 AM
So, I might be participating in a new campaign soon, and this means I have a chance to make a new character... After a lot of thinking, I realized that honestly I just want to make a character themed around hippos. Problem is, other than the title feat, I have no idea what it would take to do this.

Any ideas?

senrath
2011-02-26, 03:12 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure Sandstorm adds Hippos to the Druid/Ranger animal companion list.

Zaq
2011-02-26, 03:24 AM
I don't think that there's terribly much else you can do. I think that you can wild shape into a hippo if you're high enough level, but you knew that already.

That said, Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu is one of my favorite feats ever. Between the weird requirements ("A hippo! Stand back, guys, this one's all mine!"), ridiculously specific creatures ("You heard me. Is this or is this not a chaotic creature with the fire subtype? It's important!"), the fact that a hippo bites you across time and space if you fall out of favor, and the fact that you can rebuke hippopotami . . . what else could you possibly want from a feat?

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-26, 03:29 AM
I don't think that there's terribly much else you can do. I think that you can wild shape into a hippo if you're high enough level, but you knew that already.

That said, Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu is one of my favorite feats ever. Between the weird requirements ("A hippo! Stand back, guys, this one's all mine!"), ridiculously specific creatures ("You heard me. Is this or is this not a chaotic creature with the fire subtype? It's important!"), the fact that a hippo bites you across time and space if you fall out of favor, and the fact that you can rebuke hippopotami . . . what else could you possibly want from a feat?

There is nothing else I could possibly want. I just want to see how far I can take it.

Kaww
2011-02-26, 03:59 AM
Hit the zoo and make your DM cry.

Prime32
2011-02-26, 08:24 AM
http://www.spelljammer.org/monsters/conversions/Giff.html

Ravens_cry
2011-02-26, 08:46 AM
http://www.spelljammer.org/monsters/conversions/Giff.html
Off topic, but fun looking. You would be behind in feats, but it seems like a definite plus for a Fighter who just wants to smash stuff. The flavour text is rather contradictory. First it says, no they can't be spellcasters, then it says most can't use spelljamming helms.

Zaq
2011-02-26, 12:28 PM
Since Rebuke Hippos keys off of Turn Undead, then does anything that makes you better at turning undead make you better at rebuking hippos? Or does that not quite apply?

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 12:53 PM
And does it effect creatures related to hippos? Like Dire hippos and Giff?

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-26, 02:51 PM
Since Rebuke Hippos keys off of Turn Undead, then does anything that makes you better at turning undead make you better at rebuking hippos? Or does that not quite apply?

That definitely applies.

The being a Giff is an awesome idea, but the ECL would probably keep me from hippo summoning through summon nature's ally. Maybe I can instead focus on turn undead, and then use it solely for hippo based actions.

Is it possible to be a Giff Werehippo hippotaur? Or would the ECL way surpass 20.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-26, 02:56 PM
Well, the Scion of Tem-Et-Nu PrC would be worth taking if you can be pretty sure every fight in the campaign will take place near a river.

Wildshape Ranger or Druid, perhaps going into Beastmaster for more awesome companions, would be worth it. You could take Natural Bond and Wild Cohort for more powerful hippos and an extra hippo, respectively.

You could also go with the Bearington Bearman approach, such as by being a Giff Were-Hippo Druid; you could also ask for adapted versions of the Animal Lord and Bear Warrior PrCs. Unfortunately, I don't know of any Hippo Totem Barbarian ACF.

@V: Maybe it would be more cost-effective to find a way to give opponents the Fire subtype.

Also, is there an Elemental Plane of Hippos in your cosmology? You could open up a bunch of Planar Breaches to flood the world with hippos. If not, you could at least open some to the Beastlands for Half-Celestial hippos.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-26, 02:59 PM
Could you research a Baleful Polymorph/PaO that turns them into a hippo? Then you have a "you can't attack me" debuff!