PDA

View Full Version : [v3.5] The Life of a Dragon Solo Adventure

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 10:05 AM
Rain began to fall from the sky as night fell around your cave, some of the moisture spilling into the cave and causing an echoing rushing sound. The bones of your last kills, a pair of halfling travellers and their mounts, lie near the mouth of the cave.

They had been more prepared for you than the others you had preyed upon, one of them had yelled "The Dragon! The barkeep didn't lie!" and caused some magic effect that made him resistant to your flames - But not resistant enough.

After several hours, the moon becomes visible, and the rain stops. All is silent aside from the breathing of the red wyrmling sitting within the cave.

What do you do?

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 11:02 AM
As the rain begins to slowly leach into his cave Blaze lets out a small snort and a red flame licks across the stone and evaporates the water. The bones of the small halflings rolls around in his mouth and with disgust he spits it out and with a ring it clatters across the small cave which he called home.

As the rain slowly turns to a drizzle and then stops his thoughts turn to fire. He fumes thinking I have not been here yet a month and already these humans think to dare to attack me. I have not the strength should these humans decide to attack me. Well perhaps it is time to show these humans to not test my mettle.

With that Blaze stands up and flexes his wings. He runs to the edge of his cave and then he quickly takes to the air with fast furious flaps to gain altitude. Then he begins heading to the nearest village to his cave following the trade routes that the pathetic mortals used. He flies 300 feet above the ground a streak against the night.

OOC: Do I need to make a knowledge geography check to get there or do I know considering how I live nearby. I will roll just in case [roll0]

Also, I have been thinking of gesalt and was thinking of maybe eventually becoming a dragon ascendant from draconomicon. The caveat being while I can do gesalt and can levels and be both a dragon and another class I can never have levels of a single class more than I have of a age category for myself as a dragon. Does that seem alright?

Also, how much gold and what not do I have as a dragon or since I moved and left in a hurry I can guess it is relatively little despite my raids.

EDIT: Jeez I hope I don't need that roll to get to the village otherwise I'm not getting anywhere anytime fast. Also, I will be hustling and can travel 40 miles in an hour.

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 11:53 AM
OoC :

Have 4th level WBL.
Gestalt sounds fine as you described it.

IC:

Despite your poor knowledge of the surroundings, you manage to find the village by following the well defined trade road that your prey uses.

After a short time flying through the night, the road leads into a village, small fires are burning in various spots - But it seems quiet. Most of the humans are asleep, though you can clearly see a couple of guards at the point where the road meets the village..

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 11:57 AM
Blaze flies over the area and looks down at the small prey before him quickly he flies above them far above out of their sight and begins flying above the town and surrounding area looking for the fields and livestock as well as homes near the edge of town.

OOC: What is the name of the town and it's population. Also, is the town famous at all?

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 12:03 PM
Given your slight failure at geography, you cannot recall the town's name. You think it might have started with an E? You don't think it is at all famous, doesn't look anything special.

Judging from the number of houses, and the sizes, you guess about one hundred to one hundred and fifty inhabitants.

There're a few fields containing horses and livestock grazing or sleeping. The furthest outlying house is on the edge of one of the fields, and you can see a candle burning through the single window.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 12:08 PM
Laughing inside Blaze looks at the town before him and laughs a laugh for those in the dark of the night seems to come from nowhere. He flies swiftly towards the two guards and feels fire burning up his throat. He then spurts forth white hot red fire in a 30 foot cone at them and then quickly continues on flying while gaining altitude.

OOC: Breath weapon damage [roll0]
Time till next breath weapon available [roll1]
I am also using flyby attack feat which allows me to move after I breathe

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 12:20 PM
The guards are half-asleep at their posts, and don't notice you until you breath fire at them. Both fail to dodge, and are incinerated. The wooden house closest to them is also caught by your breath and begins to burn.

Half a minute later, a bell begins to ring loudly in the village.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 12:25 PM
Rising into the air Blaze grins with fire fuming at the edge of his mouth then he flies high and flaps his mighty wings as the fire begins to spread to the next house. Grinning Blaze flies to the opposite end of the village and breathes fire once again and then rises into the air. His cone of fire envelops multiple buildings and soon they are burning red hot.

OOC: Is it safe to presume it takes at least two rounds for me to get to the other end of the village and breathe fire once again. His tactic is to make fire appear all over the small village and then make it a ring that moves inward. Also, after each time he breathes fire he moves to a height of 100 feet in the air to stay out of easy sight.

Fire Breath again [roll0]
Roll to wait if combat begins [roll1]

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 12:30 PM
All the buildings you target easily catch fire. Many of the villages are now out of their houses, fetching water or running around screaming. Around fifteen to twenty have fetched bows and are looking up at the sky. They don't seem to see you, yet, but they look ready to aim and fire at anything they do see.

Another ten or so villagers are running away from the village, carrying nothing.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 12:33 PM
As the people run outside the town Blaze flies overhead so close they can feel the rush of wind across their faces. He laughs and shouts in Draconic Bring me the fat barkeep of this village or you shall all burn.

OOC: Are the archers bunched up together?

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 12:38 PM
None of them understand your words. The archers are in bunches of 4-5, at various points in the village. One group shoots some arrows in your direction, but you are out of range, and the arrows fall short.

The people you fly over scatter, with some falling to the ground.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 12:41 PM
As the archers begin to fire at him Blaze shrieks with rage. Quickly he streaks over the village and breathes a mighty cone of death in front of him at the nearest group of archers which continues on ravaging the land. He then stays in the fire that he created its flames bathing him in its warmth.

OOC: Breath Weapon Damage against the archers [roll0]
Time till next breath weapon [roll1]

He will land in an area where the flames are high which should provide some concealment I believe and protection against the arrows.

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 12:53 PM
Some arrows are fired through the flames at you, but they are ineffective or miss you. There seem to be quite a few archers aiming at you, though, so you don't think you're very safe here.

There're a few corpses amongst the flames.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 12:56 PM
As the firestorm continues around him Blaze jerks back as some arrows almost find their way into his scaly skin. He then jumps into the air flying high and as fast as he can. He then looks down and looks to see how widespread the flames are in the village. He then goes to the edge of the fields where there was an outlying house on it. He then stays above it circling it a 100 feet in the air.

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 01:10 PM
The western and central houses in the village are entirely aflame, but the villagers seem to be having more success controlling the fires in other locations. Probably because they are closer to the well on the eastern side of the village.

The light in the house is still burning, but the door is open. Seems the occupant probably left to help with the village.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 01:17 PM
Wedging his way through the door the dragon peers around the small house. He then searches through it ripping past things he does not need. He snorts at the homliness of it and laughs inwardly.

OOC: Is it ok if some of my money spent was on a Bag of Holding? I will have left it at the cave as I can always go back later.

Search check around the house [roll0]

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 01:22 PM
OoC : That's fine.

The house is as you might expect, fairly poor, but homely. Looks like it has been inhabited a long time. A pot is bubbling over a small fire, and a candle burns on a table. Some furs in the corner form a sort of bed.

The house is empty of people.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 01:24 PM
Blaze snorts at the dwelling. He picks up the wood from the fire and tosses it around the room making sure some lands on the furs. As it lights he leaves and heads back to the village. As he approaches the village he looks for the well and for anyone near it.

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 01:31 PM
There're a lot of people near the well, running to and from it with containers of water. You spot at least eight archers standing around the area, too.

How far away are you? Are you flying?

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 01:45 PM
With a mighty roar Blaze descends upon the archers and the well unleashing a torrent of fire trying to bathe as many of them as he can within the flames. He then pulls up and quickly tries to gain height outside of bow shot.

OOC: I'm flying 100 feet up from the well and about 50 feet east of it. Hopefully given that its night the archers will have poor shots at me

Damage roll [roll0]
Time until next breath [roll1]

vampire2948
2011-02-26, 01:48 PM
You kill two of the archers nearest to the well. The other six turn and fire at where they guess you are. The darkness making that difficult.

One of them yells Get the monster! Fire!.

To Hit:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Possible Damage Rolls:
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Miss Chances if required:
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]

And one arrow pierces your wing, causing 7 damage.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-26, 05:43 PM
A mighty roar echos throughout the night as an arrow shears its way through Blaze's wing. His vision turns red as he climbs in height much like the red blood dropping from the sky like red rain.

After gaining height once more to a 100 feet Blaze pauses for a seconds as he wheels around in the air. He then rushes fast against the archers who fired upon him shouting Die you pathetic humans your blood shall boil he then releases a gout of flame at them and at the well burning them alive.

OOC: When I roll for my breath weapon wait time when it says 1 round does it mean I wait until the next round to breathe or I have to wait until after the next round. Regardless in order to get 100 feet in height will take me most of the remainder of the round and part of the second as I descend upon them so I should be able to breathe

Breath Weapon Damage [roll0]
Time until next breath [roll1]

vampire2948
2011-02-27, 09:47 AM
OoC : You have to wait one round, then you can use it. I think there're feats that reduce that.

One archer near the well falls, the others manage to survive with a few burns. Some more archers arrive from another part of the town.

Arrows follow you as you fly upwards.

To hit:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Damage:
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Miss Chance:
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]

Three arrows strike at your legs and wings as you fly upward, causing the people below to cheer if they manage to see it.

"You'll suffer for this, Dragon. No one attacks our town!"

The blaze is spreading more freely across the town, since the villagers have been cut off from the water by your last breath attack.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-27, 10:08 AM
Blaze howls in pain as blood falls from him causing people below to wince as his blood drops on their faces. Flying high he survey's the destruction of the town. Then he flies low far away from the archers and begins to breath fire starting around the trade routes near the town. He continues encircling the town slowing rising as needed making a ring of fire.

OOC: This isn't for straight damage this is for an effect. Basically Blaze is making a ring of fire that will affect the village. Also, how much damage did I take last round. After each breath Blaze flies up high beyond bowshot and eyesight and then descends on the opposite part of the trade route to burn.

vampire2948
2011-02-27, 10:14 AM
Sorry, you took 16 damage.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-27, 10:17 AM
Blaze flies high above the 200 feet in the air and looks upon the destruction that he has wrought.

OOC: What is the state of the village now and ouch. I think after this Blaze may continue on home. Although, I think a change of where I live will be in order

vampire2948
2011-02-27, 10:32 AM
OoC : Most of the village is in flames, you estimate that you can see about 40-50 people still alive.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-27, 10:38 AM
Blaze laughs a magnificent booming laugh over the darkness of the night. He then shouts in Common You may be asking why I attacked your little town. Only go to your barkeep should he be alive and you shall have your answer. Ask him who told dragon killers to come and find me. With that Blaze laughs and encircles the village for half and hour making sure it burns. He then speeds his way back to the caves.

vampire2948
2011-02-27, 10:47 AM
Your cave is how you left it, some of the interior has become damp from another downpour of rain.

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-27, 12:28 PM
Quickly letting out a snort of flame to dry his cave. Quickly he licks his wounds and puts his coins littered throughout the cave in his Bag of Holding. First, however he needed to rest and think of where he should move to as he was sure life would be difficult for him.

OOC: Geography check for a new cave. He is trying to remember any mountainous regions that are near forests much like he has now. He's also thinking something that is further away from the village. He will then sleep for 8 hours which should recover him 8 hit points.

Knowledge Geography Check [roll0]

EDIT: I think I may just know where an awesome cave is with a nautral 20 finally my luck changed. :smallsmile:

vampire2948
2011-02-27, 01:39 PM
Your knowledge of geography yields the following possibilities:

- A network of caves near a fairly small city. Very large underground complex, probably home to other creatures - Likely ones that burn well.
- A small underwater cave which lies under the largest river on the continent, close to where it joins the sea. Would be very safe.
- A mountain range in the extreme north of the continent. Only inhabitants are a race of primitive humans, and some dangerous fey. Mountains are sure to have a place to stay. Possible white dragons.

You also note that there's a Temple to Tiamat about two days-travel about eighty miles north-east [taking a route that dodges settlements that might be a danger to you].

Supercrazy DM
2011-02-27, 09:48 PM
As Blaze wakes from his slumber a new day dawns. The sunlight hits his scales and reflects it throughout the cave turning the cave into a bright red. He wakes up after a long deep sleep his mind racing as he realizes what he must do. Blaze takes one final look at his cave with all of his worldly goods in his small bag of holding.

He then leaps off his once home and then flies over to the village he destroyed. He flies 400 feet above it surveying the destruction. Then taking to the air he ascends to just over a thousand feet. Then he begins flying to his destiny. He takes flight to the network of caves which he will use to begin his eventual rule.

OOC: Considering how Blaze already has aspirations of being a ruler he would do well to learn from Timat. However, considering how he (at least in meta game terms with a dragon ascendent) will eventually become a quasi-god he may pose too much of a threat to her. As such going to the caves far away and being a bit secluded would be a wise decision I think. Also each night he will rest for 8 hours which will allow for natural healing to go into effect. Also, roughly how far away is this network of caves? Should I just presume it takes me more then 2 days to get there which would raise my hp to full again.

EDIT: I am starting school again so while I can still post 5 times a day it will be at different times. I can post in the morning before 8 and then in the afternoon after 2 although I can do short posts on my phone during the day. Anyway I will still post as often as I can I just wanted to let you know that my times for posting will be a bit different.

vampire2948
2011-03-02, 04:09 PM
It takes you three days to reach the caves. They are set in a beautiful (if your dragon appreciates natural beauty) set of mountains, with a river falling through them in a series of waterfalls to the city below.

You sense an enterance behind one of the waterfalls into the cave network, and after flying over the area, you spot a few more larger openings. There are signs of habitation in small primitive signs, possibly warnings, outside some of the caves.

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-02, 05:08 PM
Blaze tucks his wings and goes into the entrance behind the waterfall. Snorting at the water steam erupts forth bathing him in his warmth. He then begins to slowly walk in his new abode seeing how far back his new home goes.

vampire2948
2011-03-02, 05:22 PM
The cave goes back a couple of hundred meters, with four splits off of it before a dead-end.

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-02, 05:23 PM
Blaze begins nosing his way to the first nose off depending on his keen sense of direction to remember wear he is.

OOC: He is basically just going to check the four different tunnels to make sure no visitors are there.

vampire2948
2011-03-03, 07:14 AM
OoC : Visitors? You're the visitor :P

IC:

You find nothing living in the first tunnel. But there are signs of habitation. Several bed-roll type objects are strewn about the floor, along with various primitive and mundane objects. There are a few small figures of various animals, including a few dragon figurines. Roughly whittled from wood.

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-03, 10:05 PM
Blaze looks around at the cluttered floor. Blaze looks intently at the dragon figurine and looks around noses around searching for more details tearing through the area looking for anything hidden.

Search Check: [roll0]

vampire2948
2011-03-05, 10:56 AM
You notice nothing significant which is hidden, a few more personal items. You think they likely belong to Kobolds or a similar Lizard-Race.

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-06, 10:38 AM
Blaze looks at the small figurines and a devious thought begins to form in his mind. Taking a deep breath he shouts "Lizard folk come here to your new master or I shall turn this tunnel into a black burnt hall of death.

vampire2948
2011-03-06, 03:33 PM
You hear nothing. It is likely that they've all run too far away to hear you properly.

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-10, 09:55 PM
Blaze snorts at the small bits before him and goes running down the tunnel as fast as he can

vampire2948
2011-03-11, 03:20 PM
The caves remain fairly constant, after a while you hear the sound of frantic scrabbling up ahead. You are faster than it, and you catch up.

The figure falls on the ground before you and talks in a tongue you don't know. It is reptlian, and seems to be some sort of breed of kobold, young, and male. It looks very, very scared.

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-11, 08:43 PM
Blaze looks at the wretch of the creature before him and says in both Common and Draconic "Take me to your masters or parents. Or I shall have you for a light snack." Blaze looks at it and puffs up ready to unleash a breath of fire at this puny creature.

vampire2948
2011-03-12, 11:30 AM
"Yes! Yes! Magnificently scaled one! I will take you too them! Follow!" the kobold says in very quick draconic. The creature stands and rushes down a tunnel, looking back at you occasionally to see if you're following.

After a short while, you come to a larger cavern with about thirty more kobolds in it.

"Here they are! Crimson master!" says the kobold, backing away from you.

A very old kobold in robes, with some draconic runes drawn on his face, kneels a respectful distance from you. He says in a quiet voice:

"Greetings, red one. You bless us with your presence. What can we, who are as dirt compared to your perfect crimson scales, do to assist you?"

Supercrazy DM
2011-03-12, 10:39 PM
Blaze looks around at the small group of creatures before him and laughs at them watching as they jump nervously. He then says slowly in a deep rumbling voice " You all here have managed to put together a small group of savages. I am Blaze the Firewrym and I have burnt down a village for a slight and I wish to conquer the elves

For too long have your people been taken over and cast aside as second options. I wish to conquer these elves and in return I shall grant you money and land of your own so you do not have to live in these caves. I wish to burn their forests to nothing but ash. Join me and pay me gold for me to teach you and fight for you and I will protect your people as you grow. Fight me and I shall wreak a vengeance that will be spoken of for generations.

OOC: Sorry for the slow posting still taking care of my girlfriend but she is on the mend now and I should be back to regular posting rate in a few days.