PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need Wisdom!

Frenchy147
2011-02-26, 11:38 AM
Okay me and my group have decided to make a new campaign. All of the characters we are creating have to be based off of this quiz:http://easydamus.com/character.html
I got a Neutral Good Human Druid. The only problem is, I have a wisdom of 11. That means I will only be able to cast up to level 1 spells. Is there any Items, feats etc. that can help increade wisdom? I need as much as possible. (BTW we're stating off at level 1, so I realize there isn't many options, but any increase can help for at least a few levels)

SilverLeaf167
2011-02-26, 11:41 AM
First off, it's really stupid to force everyone to base their character on a silly quiz like that. Is this supposed to be kind of a joke?

An obvious choice is the Periapt of Wisdom from DMG, but overall, this character is practically unplayable because your spell level increases faster than you can plausibly increase your Wisdom.

Amnestic
2011-02-26, 12:19 PM
My suggestion would be to grab the Jermlaine race from one of the Monster Manuals (2 or 3). It has a +6 bonus to Wisdom, -6 to Charisma and a varied array of other stat bonuses and negatives. Dunno if there are any LA+0 templates which grant wisdom bonuses. If you can't handle being a small fugly thing, the Lesser Aasimar (Player's Guide to Faerun) has everything an Aasimar (Monster Manual) has, except it's Human (Planetouched) instead of Outsider (Native). A Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold offers higher stat increases though. Jungle Kobold is probably the best option.

And yeah, using that quiz is dumb. It takes no effort to get high stats if you just stretch the truth somewhat.

Zaq
2011-02-26, 12:30 PM
My suggestion would be to grab the Jermlaine race from one of the Monster Manuals (2 or 3). It has a +6 bonus to Wisdom, -6 to Charisma and a varied array of other stat bonuses and negatives. Dunno if there are any LA+0 templates which grant wisdom bonuses. If you can't handle being a small fugly thing, the Lesser Aasimar (Player's Guide to Faerun) has everything an Aasimar (Monster Manual) has, except it's Human (Planetouched) instead of Outsider (Native). A Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold offers higher stat increases though. Jungle Kobold is probably the best option.

And yeah, using that quiz is dumb. It takes no effort to get high stats if you just stretch the truth somewhat.

I think that the OP said that he had to be a human, so that probably won't help.

He did not, however, say how old he had to be. One of the easiest ways of getting high mental stats at low levels is to be venerable. Yes, your physical stats will be abominable, but if you can survive until you get WS, that won't be an issue.

Of course, WS is four levels away, but . . .

Amnestic
2011-02-26, 12:33 PM
Bah, you're right, but that just again highlights how dumb using a quiz is to denote your race/*alignment*/class/stats.

I'm guessing the only way is to go Venerable then.

jiriku
2011-02-26, 12:50 PM
Suicide. Seriously, you're first level. Getting yourself killed should be trivial. Don't buy armor, use a club for a weapon, and charge the first large group of enemies that you see. When you reroll, he'll either let you build a character as you wish, or give you another crack at the quiz, where you can change your answers.

Second alternative, be venerable, and prestige into master of many forms as quick as you can. While this would normally be suboptimal for a druid, with your 14 Wisdom your not missing all that much, and living in wildshape all the time will negate the penalties of being so old.

Squark
2011-02-26, 12:53 PM
Agreed. This was a spectacularly bad idea. Go venerable Master of Many Forms, or die.

Also, the test needs more variation. There's only Good, Bad, Average, and Excellent. It needs more degrees of badness, frankly.

nedz
2011-02-26, 01:23 PM
Multiclass out of Druid, what are your other stats ?
Druid 2 is probably fine, and at level 4 you can grab +1 Wis so:
Druid 2/X 1/Druid+2/X+3/...
Ranger/Scout/Rogue are obvious routes, but whatever you want really.
Take Practiced Spellcaster, again obvious.
If you focus all of your Stat boosts on Wis you can sensibly take Druid half the time. At some point your WBL will allow you to buy Wis boost items - which will allow you take take more Druid levels - and get the spellcasting.

Xyk
2011-02-26, 01:25 PM
I think someone mentioned it, but age will help. That's a simple improvement at level 1 and the only thing I can think of.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-26, 01:32 PM
You could try being a lesser assimar, I think they technically qualify as human. Or maybe I'm thinking of the alternate rules for planetouched in Races of Destiny. Either way, it would net you +2 to wisdom if allowed. Then if you start out venerable, you'll have a total of +5. You'll also have -6 to all physical abilities, though.

Dust
2011-02-26, 01:51 PM
If it was me?

Take the test again and lie. Lie like the ingredients list on microwave dinners. It's easy to get 20s across the board and wind up with the exact class/alignment you want. Race gets a little tricky, but dwarf is pretty easy to manage if you just hold true to the stereotypes.

You might not get away with this, but swear by the results. It'll make your GM see the foolishness of the whole thing, hopefully. And if it doesn't, he either needs to sit beside you and tell you that 'No, Frenchy, you're, ah, stupider and weaker than what you've selected,' or he needs to let you play your ubercharacter OR scrap the whole idea.

Frenchy147
2011-02-27, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the Ideas, I'll try to run by that Aasimar idea, and if not, there's plenty of ideas here.

And yes, I know the quiz is a bad Idea but were not trying to be super serious and we figured what the heck.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-27, 08:54 PM
Str 20 Dex 20 Con 19 Int 19 Wis 20 Cha 20. No, I didn't lie or cheat at all.:smallbiggrin:

dspeyer
2011-02-27, 08:55 PM
Get bitten by a lycanthrope. It's +2 wis and a whole bunch of other goodies, and you can do it in character in your first session.

You might die, but then you get to roll a new character.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-27, 08:58 PM
First off, it's really stupid to force everyone to base their character on a silly quiz like that. Is this supposed to be kind of a joke?

I can see it making for a fun short campaign, unless someone claims to have overwhelming scores in everything.

Yeah, try to get a race with a Wis bonus, PrC out fast, rely on wildshape, and get +Wis items. In the meantime I'd rely on Produce Flame, Entangle (great even with a low DC), and lean heavily on your Animal Companion.

Vknight
2011-02-27, 09:01 PM
It would make a good campaign unless someone got something like I did or its just not fair for everyone else.

Check Signature

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-27, 09:02 PM
Yeah, go for whichever race grants the best Wisdom bonus, and start at Venerable for bonus Wisdom.

Using a test tigenerate scores though is a bad idea. It produces useless characters 90% of the time, like a sorcerer with eleven charisma and eighteen Intelligence.

Vknight
2011-02-27, 09:05 PM
Or the most epic Wizard/Ranger ever!

I would love to use him in a campaign

dspeyer
2011-02-27, 09:31 PM
Get bitten by a lycanthrope. It's +2 wis and a whole bunch of other goodies, and you can do it in character in your first session.

You might die, but then you get to roll a new character.

Vknight
2011-02-27, 09:32 PM
So it help his character were telling him to go get bitten by a werewolf?

AWESOME!!

Narren
2011-02-27, 11:20 PM
Str 20 Dex 20 Con 19 Int 19 Wis 20 Cha 20. No, I didn't lie or cheat at all.:smallbiggrin:

Only 19 intelligence? You're dumber than half the people here! :smallbiggrin:

CycloneJoker
2011-02-27, 11:31 PM
Divine minion template. Then Master of Many Forms. There, you won the game.