PDA

View Full Version : Eberron (New Cyre) - IC

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-02-26, 03:19 PM
Elaine Silverwind

You are the oddball in the group. The other three seem prepared for a fight. Why you're here seems to be a mystery even to you. You walked by a construction site for what will some day be a House Deneith guild house and for some reason a note along a small completed building next door seemed to stick out, as if placed their by fate. Your sense of wanderlust (and the amount of coin you would earn) played a part in your decision to inquire. You said whatever you needed to say in order to stand next to the other three. (There were other applicants after-all 200 platinum tends to attract attention) You notice that they all seem to know each other. You find the half-elf kinda attractive and wonder why she doesn't pay more attention to what she's wearing.

Axiom Shardborn

Your interest in Cyre and the day of mourning somehow has led you in the company of two living beings. A gnoll, whom you are worried is bored and might do something that would get you some unwanted attention, and a half-elf who seems interested in the destruction of Cyre and was willing to mend some damage you sustained from a not so friendly encounter with the locals. She seemed interested in gathering funds and has found a mission that has a 200 platinum reward. You realize that the coin could also assist you in acquiring the things you desire and the half-elf might be like minded in her desire to understand what occured at Cyre.
Agate d'Lyrandar

You've been in New Cyre for almost a month now. You have found no leads that could help you in your search. It seems everyone here has their own theory of what happened to Cyre. To say that their is no consensus is an understatement. Every country, every faction, every church, and even every continent someone here thinks is to blame for Cyre. You assumed your quest would involve some danger (that's why you hired Kamden) but pretty much anything could be farther from the truth. No one here knows anything. With your funds running low you've made two hard choices. You decided to persuade a warforged (which you find utterly fascinating) to accompany you on a mission to locate two missing d'Deneith siblings in exchange for some much needed coin and you decided to cut loose Kamden. He seemed actually offended that you would cut him loose when you finally decided to do something interesting instead of "whining around town about your parents." He wants the coin as much as you do, and you admit, if it comes down to it, he might be necessary

Kamden

Those around you annoy you. You hide your annoyance like a giant behind a gnome. But you're getting paid, it's not much, but until you find better work what choice do you have? Some little elf or human (they all look the same to you) girl hired you as a bodyguard. You feel like a goblin nurse watching over a baby. She walks around town reading a book, expecting you to keep her from walking into things. She doesn't pay you much and you feel like everything here is a waste of time. Then about two days ago she starts yappin it with some chuck of rock about Cyre. She thinks you can't hear her when she "recruits" the 'forged to help her rescue some lost humans. Then she has the stones to tell you that your services are not needed anymore. Now you heard her say something about a 200 platinum reward. You had half a mind to cut her down right here for trying to cut you out of the money. You've been playing the part of a civilized creature for too long now and what occurred next surprised even you. She actually look scared as you merely threatened her (instead of cutting her down where she stood) and that made cutting a deal with her all the more easy. That amount of coin and you might even consider eating with a knife and fork. These d'Deneith humans better be alive.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-02-26, 03:36 PM
Nestled on the western side of the northern Seawall Mountains rest the refugee city of New Cyre. In the two years since the last war the city has grown from nothing to a bustling population of 4,200. This is most of what's left of the Jewel of Khorvaire. Two things of note about this city: It's brand new and it doesn't have much coin. Many people still live in refugee tents. Cyre war veterens with nowhere to go beg for coin on the street corners. Only two houses have even set up a headquarters here: House Cannith and House Jorosco.

On this fine day of Dravago the 15th, 998 YK you find yourself standing before the newly appointed House Deneith representative of this area to assist her in locating two members of her House. Her name is Kerowyn d'Deneith, a middle aged woman with years set upon her. She bears a medium sized dragonmark that snakes up her neck. She speaks informally and tells you:

"A Paladin of the Silver Flame and his squire payed handsomely for House Deneith bodyguards for what they said would be a short mission. However it's no secret that we have no bodies to spare for any missions until we have procured proper facilities to house bodyguards. But, it turns out," she says, "that two siblings of the house had just arrived in town, Talgen d'Deneith and his sister a wizard Shawyn d'Deneith. Since they were just passing through and were in no hurry they offered to assist the Paladin on his mission. This was over a month ago and I have heard no word of there whereabouts. It's ironic," she tells the four of you, "that House Deneith must hire outside the house, but I simply have no one to spare. The parents of Talgen and Shawyn have given me a letter of credit to be given as a reward. 200 platinum dragons for the safe recovery of their children. If they are dead then they will pay 50 platinum dragons for each one of their House Deneith signet rings that you are able to recover. "

"It's unfortunate I can't be of more help then this. They were hired, off the books, so to speak. Although I do know that they stayed at the Seawall Inn on the south east side of town before leaving." She finishes and with a small smile she says, "It's hard to read some of your facial expressions, what do you guys say?" She asks awkwardly

Wiz
2011-02-28, 11:02 PM
Agate nods, "I'm in, as I believe are Kamden and Axiom." She gestures to the gnoll and the psiforged respectively. "We spoke about it before we came here." She nods to Elaine, "I'm also perfectly willing to share the job with a fourth, assuming she's willing to take equal risk with all of us and accept an equal share of whatever reward we might earn." She looks at Axiom and then up at Kamden, "Does that sound acceptable to you both?"

Shark Uppercut
2011-02-28, 11:12 PM
Axiom nods also. "I don't relish the thought of tracking a paladin...especially one a month gone. But necessity requires. I hope that they are alive, and still of sound mind."
As an aside to Kamden, "Kamden, I sure hope you can track people, because I certainly can't."

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-01, 02:49 PM
The brown-furred gnoll stands with his lanky arms crossed, clad in the light chainmail armor he never seems to take off. This close to Darguun, where there was probably no shortage of jobs requiring little but brute strength and a keen blade... and here he was, looking for two missing humans with magic tattoos. Or did they have magic tattoos? It was always a coin flip with the Dragonmarked Houses, and Kamden had certainly never given it much attention.
His voice is a gravely growl.
"Tell me if the missing ones have 'marks. Er... tell me if they have any... 'distinguishing characteristics.' ...Please."

d13
2011-03-01, 04:06 PM
Elaine

Re-tying herself with a Dragonmarked House wasn't exactly a thrilling idea, but it clearly was were the money was. And no need to be picky, when you have barely enough provisions to last a week.

Smiling the whole time, she nods in Agate's general direction when she answers a low "Of course, honey", but is a little surprised when she hears a gnoll speak the word 'please'.

This will be, at the very least, interesting...

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-01, 06:13 PM
Kerowyn smiles at Kamden and responds, "Not that I'm aware of. Although I didn't check their entire body. You don't have to track the paladin if you don't wish to; he is of no concern of mine. Although it might be a good idea to ask about where he was going. Paladin's of the Silver Flame have a tendency to stick out in people's minds."

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-03, 09:42 PM
"That's a prime idea. I suggest we investigate the Seawall Inn at once."
Axiom starts to seek out the Inn.

Wiz
2011-03-03, 10:07 PM
Agate turns, following, "Okay, perhaps we should stay together until we have some coherent plan that requires splitting up?"

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-03, 11:03 PM
Kamden follows, scratching absentmindedly under his chin. He was disappointed that their quarry had no distinguishing marks; it was hard enough telling one human from another as it was. He'd have to trust the others to know what to look for... the warforged, Axiom, certainly looked different from other 'forged he had seen. A newer model, perhaps... but didn't they end all warforged production at Thronehold? Kamden grunted, not really giving the matter much thought, plodding along on padded feet.

d13
2011-03-04, 04:26 PM
Elaine follows, reviewing mentally the spells she knew how to cast; a little weary of everybody else.

A big wild dog, and a machine made for war... Glad to be on their side, for now...

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-04, 05:15 PM
Is the Inn easy to find for out-of-towners? If not, Axiom patiently waits for Agate or Elaine to ask for directions.

If we find the Inn with no trouble, then Axiom walks in with everyone else.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-05, 03:00 AM
Kerowyn waves goodbye as you four step back out into the streets. A light drizzle falls down onto the four of you; light enough that it could almost be called a mist. The sun seems to be hidden for the moment and with nothing else to do you make your way to the south east side of town. None of you being familiar with the town you find yourself asking for directions.

Gather Information: [roll0] (Aelena)
Assist: [roll1] (Agate)

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-05, 03:11 AM
The Seawall Inn you find by asking the very first person you meet, a tall grizzled looking man who seems to take kindly with the female attention he's receiving.

You quickly make your way to the Seawall Inn, an unremarkable building in an area that seems out of the way. Nevertheless, a symbol of House Ghallanda sits above the double doors and without any hesitation you four walk into the inn.

The front area is a well furnished dining area. Tables and chairs are set up, and at this time in the day, not too many people are present. The bar appears to be run by a cheerful middle-aged halfling. You notice immediately an eye patch on his face. He seems to be in conversation with a younger halfling lass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Jopustopin/SeawallInn.jpg

The red area is the "bar"

Wiz
2011-03-05, 07:47 AM
A rather large, eclectic group enters the Seawall Inn. In other words, in New Cyre, nothing unusual at all. Agate walks up to the bartender, "Excuse me, I was wondering if you remembered two individuals who stayed at your inn about a month ago. A brother and sister of House Deneith? His name was Taigen, hers was Shawyn... she was a wizard."

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-05, 05:45 PM
The halfling turns to (Mia?) you and with a twinkle in his left eye speaks, "I don't recall anybody fitting the description; we do have a log book that I could look at. If they stayed the night here the room would probably be under one of their names. Of course information comes at a small premium. Care to purchase a drink while I look them up?"

d13
2011-03-05, 06:30 PM
"We might take up your offer later in the evening, if you'd be so kind as to look up those names."

Elaine slowly approaches the halfling, smiling.

"Consider it a gesture of good will. Isn't that what House Gallanda is about? Hospitality, and that stuff?"

If needed:

[roll0]

And, of course, I get the 1. I had forgotten how much the RNG hated me.
Good to be back home :smallannoyed:

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-05, 08:43 PM
Charming as a rock. I need to say something...
"First, it's g-H-allandra," says Axiom, pronouncing it slightly differently.
"And second, we're working in parallel with the local Watch, and I don't think you would ask them for money if they walked in here.
Bluff check [roll0]
Besides, you could help save two peoples' lives. Isn't that worth something?"

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-05, 11:57 PM
Kamden stands at the back of the group, arms folded, and stares off into space. Back home, 'investigations' often began with a headlock, and a few lost teeth. The gnoll often wondered how the soft races were able to take over Khorvaire.
Oh yeah. They just picked up the pieces where the goblins left off.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-06, 04:29 PM
The halfling looks at you and surprisingly changes his tune. It seems a little odd, you guys were not that convincing, but suddenly he becomes much more helpful.

"Oh the City Watch, why didn't you guys say so!" He jumps off his bar stool and moves around the corner, out of sight. A couple of seconds he comes back with a slightly large and well used book (well large for a halfling). He starts leafing through it.

"I hope it's my information that leads to saving these two's lives." the halfling says while leafing through the pages.

After a couple of minuets he looks back at you guys and says, "Sorry they must not have stayed the night here. I don't have a record of either of them on the books."

Shark Uppercut: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10496808&postcount=36

Wiz
2011-03-06, 08:02 PM
Agate nods, "Thank you for checking, but perhaps you can still help. I know that they left with a paladin. Do you by any chance recall him being in here? Perhaps you even saw them with him without knowing who they were?"

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-06, 09:51 PM
Axiom speaks up. "Oh, one more thing: The paladin had a squire. So it could have been a group of four. Or just the paladin and his squire."

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-07, 09:01 PM
The halfling thinks for a second then speaks, "I do recall seeing a Paladin in here about a month ago. He drank a wee bit too much and started going on about the Silver Flame. It's apparently "crusade" time again in Thrane. He was going on about killing were-rats somewhere nearby. They took the old road towards the Seawall Mountains. Can't say where-to no one uses the road anymore."

None of you have ever heard of a were-rat. Lycanthrope weaknesses are not common knowledge. None of you have ranks in Knowledge Local. You guys also don't have knowledge Religion or Knowledge History so you don't know why a Paladin of Thrane would be looking to kill were-rats.

Wiz
2011-03-07, 11:34 PM
Agate considers what the halfling is saying.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-07, 11:50 PM
"I wonder how a were-rat is different from a normal rat..."

Knowledge (nature) [roll0]

Really, I suppose all I could learn is how natural/unnatural a were-rat is, and if it's a rat variant. (like a dire rat is a rat variant)

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-08, 12:07 AM
The Halfling looks at the warforged like it's daft, "Um... well the biggest difference is that normal rat's can't turn into a human. They go crazy when any one of the twelve moons is full and slaughter people. Probably why the Paladin went to go crusade against them. I haven't heard anything about the creatures other than that paladin a couple of months ago. Anyway, that's what he told me they were."

The female halfling has been sitting quietly for a time but speaks up, "You're so helpful Javon!

The male halfling winks at her with a charming smirk.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-08, 11:03 PM
The halfling looks at you and surprisingly changes his tune. It seems a little odd, you guys were not that convincing, but suddenly he becomes much more helpful.

Since you had to phrase it like that:
Sense Motive, [roll0]
Edit: Blast these mediocre rolls.
Now...
The Warforged looks at the halfling like he's daft. "You imply that I should know what a were-rat is, yet you admit you only know because the paladin told you. Smooth."

Axiom steps back two paces and gestures at Agate and Elaine to from a huddle. Whispering: "Now what do we do?"

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-09, 12:36 PM
The halfling looks angry, "Hey I'm trying to help you here. You guys need to keep your 'forged under control. You think I believe you four are working for the City Guard? Get out of here.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-15, 03:17 PM
Kamden glares at the halfling, his voice a dangerously soft growl.
"Back up your words with steel, runt. I've been itching for an excuse to bite you in half."

Wiz
2011-03-15, 05:56 PM
Agate steps forward, holding up her hands, "Nobody is going to hurt anyone else here. We were asking for information... and we've received it." She turns to the halfling, "I apologize for my colleagues, we appreciate your assistance and we will leave now." She turns to her colleagues, "Let's go outside and discuss our next move."

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-15, 06:36 PM
Kamden and the Halfling stare each other down and there is an awkward silence after Agate stops speaking. Slowly the halfling turns to Agate and with a cold stare says, "Better keep your dog on a leash. Accidents are common around these parts, especially to outsiders. Friendly word of advice."

Wiz
2011-03-15, 07:32 PM
Agate nods, "Right... and being friendly to the right agents also helps. You never know when someone who feels that someone else insulted them might belong to say... House Lyrandar." She fondles her left ear, "Then, because of their hurt feelings, things get slowed up and necessary supplies don't come in on time. Nothing vital of course, but consumables for a tavern might get a lower priority." She smiles, "Just a word of advice... and thanks for your help!"

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-15, 08:14 PM
Kamden stomps out of the building, growling. He hated the pink-skinned races preference for 'word fighting.' He was still getting used to it, and with every passing moment he was beginning to regret insisting on joining this 'job.'

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-19, 09:58 AM
"Well, I think you've helped us adventurers who are working in parallel with the watch as much as you can."
Axiom gives an elaborate bow, lasting 20 seconds total. If he lets him, he shakes the halfling's hand.
Then he walks out to plot with the others.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-03-20, 06:10 PM
You guys step outside. The sun shines on your faces albeit with a nice little rain to keep you alert.

Wiz
2011-03-21, 07:33 AM
Agate looks at her companions, "The next move seems obvious... check the old road toward the Seawall mountains. See if we can find any traces of where the paladin went." She looks in that direction, "I have two days of travel food, and no other funds... what is everyone else's situation?"

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-22, 11:07 PM
"I have no food, no metabolism that requires food, and quite a bit of funds. I'm ready to go look for a month-old paladin any time."

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-23, 03:12 PM
Kamden scratches under his hairy chin.
"I've not travel-food, but could buy some if need be. Tell me how long we'd be on the road."

Wiz
2011-03-27, 08:25 AM
Agate looks thoughtful, "That's a good question... and I suppose it's up to us. The paladin could be up to a month of travel away, or much less depending on what happened to him. May I suggest one month of supplies for all of us... two weeks out and two weeks back, if we can afford it. If not, perhaps Axiom would loan some of his funds to party needs, to be paid back out of whatever we might recover?"

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-27, 08:21 PM
"I suppose I don't really need them anyway . . I can give about 120 gold pieces total. Ask and ye shall receive."

Wiz
2011-03-27, 09:47 PM
Agate smiles. "All I need is enough for rations, but I suppose others might suggest particular equipment they need. And you'll be paid back. Out of the reward or anything we come across as a party."

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-30, 04:51 PM
"Gold is a secondary concern to me-- any crystals we find, on the other hand, would be very interesting to me."
"I don't know the price of food around here, so tell me: how much gold do you need?"

OOC:
CockroachTeaParty and d13, are you guys still around?

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-04-03, 07:46 PM
As someone is about to respond to the warforged suddenly a loud explosion is heard overhead. Raining from the heavens is, quite possibly the largest Siberys Dragonshard you've ever seen. It's also the last thing the four of you see as within seconds upon first hearing it, it smashes full impact into you four. Fortunately the momentum of the dragonshard causes it to ricochet off the ground and, much like a skipping stone, bounces high into the air landing again some 3 miles outside of town. You four are mysteriously the only ones who suffered any damage.

[roll0] DC 40 Reflex save for half.