PDA

View Full Version : Weapon design help-Hair of DOOM!

Kaim_the_angel
2011-02-26, 05:39 PM
Recently whilst watching (correction, Re-watching) The hellsing ultimate dvds I found myself staring longingly at somthing (no not seras :smalltongue:) Walters weapon to be exact. I can't be the only person in the world to think that is just a kick ass weapon right? So I call upon the great minds of Giantitp to help me homebrew a weapon made for bloodshed :smallbiggrin:
As a basis I'm gunna assume a relativly low damage dice, but a hell'uva crit range? as well as reach potential and a ranged grappeling basis? Of course I very rarly homebrew so I have very little idea where to start (Artist not a rules designer, i draw what smart people think up in there big brains :smallbiggrin:)
And with my poor base Idea lets get this ball moving!!
Hopefully......

Prime32
2011-02-27, 08:52 PM
It would help to say what the weapon is.

Land Outcast
2011-02-27, 08:53 PM
Well... weapons -as well as everything else- in Hellsing are over the things which are over the top :smallwink: .
Therefore, I wouldn't say Walter's weapon could be considered a mundane weapon in D&D 3.5, perhaps a magical weapon, or even an artifact...

Ok, I'll start with a base weapon "filaments" which has the stats of a whip, which is already an exotic weapon (difference: can be used to trip but can't be dropped):

1d3 subdual/x2. adds 10ft to normal reach but doesn't allow AoOs, and causes AoOs if used in melee

Then I'll add another Exotic Weapon Proficiency, requiring Dex 19+, Bab 10+ and EWP (filament), which allows to use a greater version of this, made out of some special material say "adamantine microfilaments" - A-microfilaments for short- the feat also allows to grapple with the weapon, at a -2 penalty:

1d4/19-20;x3. adds 10ft to normal reach but doesn't allow AoOs, and causes AoOs if used in melee

---------------------

There we have the chasis for Walter's weapon.
Walter is so badass that he has, aside from the two feats required to be proficient with these:
Improved Grapple, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse.

Next comes the magicla coat of paint, amounting to a measly +12:
+1 Wounding Vorpal Keen A-microfilaments of Speed

Now, we'd want to add an ability which reflect the way they are used in the anime:

Razor Line: Should a grappled opponent try a Grapple Check to end a grapple with A-microfilaments, he receives damage equal to the A-microfilaments wielder opposed grapple check (regardless of success or failure); he also receives 1 Con damage from the wounding enhancement.
Should the target try an Escape Artist check, the happens unless the skill check reaches a number equal to double the grapple check mad eby the wielder.
The wielder can also choose to tighten the strings as a standard action, automatically threatening a critical hit.

Walter's Weapon:
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/N/NO/NOS/Nosferatu001/1131057362_walter.jpg
+1 Wounding Vorpal Keen A-microfilaments of Speed:

1d4+1 plus 1 Con/17-20;x3

This weapon is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using it provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can make trip attacks with Walter's weapon. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can't drop it to avoid being tripped.

You can grapple with Walter's weapon at a -2 penalty.
Razor Line: Should a grappled opponent try a Grapple Check to end a grapple with A-microfilaments, he receives damage equal to the A-microfilaments wielder opposed grapple check (regardless of success or failure); he also receives 1 Con damage from the wounding enhancement.
Should the target try an Escape Artist check, the happens unless the skill check reaches a number equal to double the grapple check mad eby the wielder.
The wielder can also choose to tighten the strings as a standard action, automatically threatening a critical hit.

When using Walter's weapon, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails) and can't be disarmed.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with Walter's weapon, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.
Ta-daaaaa! What do you think?

Kaim_the_angel
2011-02-27, 09:16 PM
That is preety freaking sweet :smallbiggrin: I knew this was the place to come to for stuff like this :smallbiggrin: Have a cookie!
Now lets hope my DM smiles as much as I did reading this and let the bloodbath begin :belkar:
Oh and as for what the weapon is, i'm pretty sure Land outcast has explained it really well, but as back-up info goes, imagine a lot of cheese wire, at a range, removing your arm, and leg oh and head :smallbiggrin:

EDIT Also, what do you reckon the price on these bad boys might be?

Silverscale
2011-02-27, 09:21 PM
Over all I like it. I actually took the time last night to look up videos on Youtube to find out what Walter's weapon actually was but then I got distracted and fell asleep. Question is that 1d4+1 on each thread or what, cuz in the picture he has at least 8 threads?

Also can you imagine a rouge doing sneak attack damage with these. Seriously he could sit in the shadows easily catching enemies by surprise and therefore flat-footed and do insane amounts of damage in one round before the mooks even knew what hit 'em.

Actually that brings up another point. You didn't specify whether or not you could attack more then one opponent at a time with these as we see Walter do plenty of times in the Anime.

Land Outcast
2011-02-27, 09:36 PM
is that 1d4+1 on each thread or what, cuz in the picture he has at least 8 threads?Well, first, as I mentioned, I'd conder Walter as Two-Weapon Fighting with two of these.
Second: it'd be (1d4+1 plus 1 Con) for an attack with 4 threads

As we see in the anime, Walter rips apart mooks like they were nothing (and from what we see I'd guess he's got a Str of approx 26 and a Dex of, lets say 30): he'd be dealing 1d4+9 plus 1 Con

(without taking into account any sneak attack or weapon specialization)

I'd say he drops them each with a single attack. Then we see him fighting more powerful opponents, that's when the damage via grapple checks comes into effect (which is the main damage output, we could say).

You didn't specify whether or not you could attack more then one opponent at a time with these as we see Walter do plenty of times in the Anime.

Well, of course, as with any other weapon he could attack a number of times (and therefore, of targets) equal to the number of attacks he could make in a full attack.
For a +20 attack bonus, with all the two-weapon fighting chain of feats, and the speed enhancement, we could say he makes the following attacks*:
+19/+19/+14/+9/+4 and +19/+19/+14/+9

*just considering base attack bonus and weapon enhancement

--------------------------

Thanks for the cookie! :smile:

Silverscale
2011-02-27, 09:58 PM
Well, first, as I mentioned, I'd consider Walter as Two-Weapon Fighting with two of these.
Second: it'd be (1d4+1 plus 1 Con) for an attack with 4 threadsAh...so individually each thread is doing about 2 damage (not counting sneak attack/etc), but when you add them all together you see mooks turning into fine red mist all around you.

Well, of course, as with any other weapon he could attack a number of times (and therefore, of targets) equal to the number of attacks he could make in a full attack.
For a +20 attack bonus, with all the two-weapon fighting chain of feats, and the speed enhancement, we could say he makes the following attacks*:
+19/+19/+14/+9/+4 and +19/+19/+14/+9

*just considering base attack bonus and weapon enhancementYes but I'd also say that he is probably using Cleave and possibly even Great Cleave/Mighty Cleave (whichever one lets you keep going as long as you keep dropping opponents) to slice through multiple mooks with each attack.

Siosilvar
2011-02-27, 10:04 PM
EDIT Also, what do you reckon the price on these bad boys might be?

+1 Wounding Vorpal Keen Speed comes out to a +12, so 2,880,000gp each. Source. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm)