*Wave with right hand, left thumb down*
*Both thumbs sideways*

TimelordSimone
2011-02-26, 07:29 PM
"Are we even sure we have thumbs?"

Ha.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-02-26, 07:30 PM
Oh god. Started off hilarious, and then WHAM. Nice work.

Tyrael
2011-02-26, 07:31 PM
Ye gods!

The OOTS chars don't have thumbs they have PAWS! :eek:

Assassin89
2011-02-26, 07:31 PM
If that's not proof that these fights are organized like the gladiatorial games during the Roman Empire, I don't know what is.

We also have an allosaurus to stop the debate over Tarquin's verdict. Not sure how long that things is going to survive for, especially since someone could cut it up from the inside assuming they survive the acid damage.

TerrickTerran
2011-02-26, 07:32 PM
All right...that was fun...and now Elan has something else to ponder at night.

Ganurath
2011-02-26, 07:33 PM
If that's not proof that these fights are organized like the gladiatorial games during the Roman Empire, I don't know what is.

We also have an allosaurus to stop the debate over Tarquin's verdict. Not sure how long that things is going to survive for, especially since someone could cut it up from the inside assuming they survive the acid damage.Not likely, since it seems to have made a point of not eating their weapons.

QDI
2011-02-26, 07:33 PM
"Recite bad poetry to the loser?"

Noooo, I prefer death!

cabbagesquirrel
2011-02-26, 07:34 PM
that's what every roman movie or television series with an arena is missing, a giant t rex to eat people! loved it. although it could be an allosaurus, due to the larger forearms

Porthos
2011-02-26, 07:36 PM
Fantastic call out/reference to the Thumbs Up debate. :smallcool:

Kiranvonstrom
2011-02-26, 07:37 PM
Wait, did Roy just get killed again?
Oh, well. Such is adventuring.

starwoof
2011-02-26, 07:39 PM
that's what every roman movie or television series with an arena is missing, a giant t rex to eat people! loved it. although it could be an allosaurus, due to the larger forearms

Definitely an allosaur based on the shape of the skull.

Also, HAHA, that guy got eaten by an allosaurus! HILARIOUS! :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-02-26, 07:39 PM
Wait, did Roy just get killed again?
Oh, well. Such is adventuring.

No, Roy has a dark blue-gray armor this time. The ones that died were the foreground mooks from the first panel of the previous page. Or, at least, they look exactly like them.

Yendor
2011-02-26, 07:41 PM
Oh man. That was awesome in all sorts of ways.

HUMVEE Driver
2011-02-26, 07:41 PM
First off, I was expecting more on this page (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). The anticipation for Roy vs. whoever has been built up so much that now no matter what happens it will be anti-climatic. Sometimes instead of prolonging things you just have to give the audience what they want, which is doubly fitting because we're talking about gladiators.

Porthos
2011-02-26, 07:42 PM
BTW:

Guard: Only if he wiggles his thumb.
Gladiator: Teabag him?
Guard: That's DOWN and wiggling.

Not going to comment on that one further except for this =====> :smallamused::smallamused::smallamused:

Irbis
2011-02-26, 07:43 PM
Is the Allosaurus mechanical? :smallconfused:

Cuz' I'm pretty sure jaw doesn't look like that on live animals, in all OotS style images I saw so far.

Istari
2011-02-26, 07:44 PM
That was great, return of the T-Rex FTW

Blue Ghost
2011-02-26, 07:47 PM
I wonder how Elan is taking this senseless bloodshed? He doesn't seem too bothered, but maybe he's learned to hide his disgust by now.

blackjack217
lol :smallbiggrin:

LOTRfan
We get to see the Allosaur! :smallbiggrin:

0tt3r
Almost to the big fight. I can't wait.

Thumbs up to this comic. Or sideways? Or...?

Porthos
2011-02-26, 07:48 PM
I wonder how Elan is taking this senseless bloodshed? He doesn't seem too bothered, but maybe he's learned to hide his disgust by now.

He's too distracted looking at the Fourth Wall, at the mo. :smallwink:

Irbis
2011-02-26, 07:49 PM

I was surprised he didn't start to argue about most dramatic hand-signs with his father.

After all, if the drama demands it, you have thumbs, the question is only how to make the moment dramatic enough for it :P

Aegeus

No, it's got two claws on each hand, so it must be a T-Rex. Allosauruses (Allosauri?) had 3.

pflare
Ha! Love it. you know I actually I have no idea what the actual live/die gladiatorial signals were

Porthos
2011-02-26, 07:51 PM
Allosauruses (Allosauri?) had 3.

If the Arena used to have an Olliesaurus, doesn't it stand to reason that thay have an Allosaurus now? :smalltongue:

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 07:51 PM
No, it's got two claws on each hand, so it must be a T-Rex. Allosauruses (Allosauri?) had 3.

Allosaurs. And, as someone above mentioned, the head signifies an Allosaurus. Tyrannosaurs had a distinct, broader head shape.

Morph Bark
2011-02-26, 07:55 PM
Clever girl.

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 07:57 PM
Clever girl.

Y'know, if he hadn't stopped to say that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0), he might have at least had a chance of survival. :smalltongue:

TheSummoner
2011-02-26, 07:59 PM
Ok people, we get it... Rich did his homework on Dinosaurs for this one and we applaud him for it.

Thats got to suck for morale though... Killing one of his own soldiers who, for all we know, did nothing to deserve it. I get that hes evil, I just thought he was a bit smarter than to do something like that... You want your underlings to fear you, but you don't give them a reason to think they'd have a better chance of survival if you were gone... (Ok, granted as far as they know, he's not in charge around there, but he's still the one who gave the order.)

John Cribati
2011-02-26, 08:02 PM
I... I have no idea what to say.

DougTheHead
2011-02-26, 08:02 PM

Or maybe he's been on the losing side of a massive castle siege, and spent a few years in the employ of a group that kills sentient beings for a living, and gained a prestige class earlier in the year that allows him to kill them as well, and is therefore really not the type of person to be squicked out by some blood and guts.

tcrudisi
2011-02-26, 08:07 PM
Sadly, I can relate to the 3 gladiators in this comic.

http://timbethanywedding.yolasite.com/resources/dinosaurGroupPhoto.jpg.opt608x415o0,0s608x415.jpg

starwoof
2011-02-26, 08:08 PM
Does anyone else find it funny that this comic is called 'Nitpick Your Battles' and we are nitpicking over exactly what kind of therapod ate the nameless NPCs?

EDIT: Also I am fairly certain it is an allosaurus not just because of the skull but because they mentioned an allosaurus several comics ago.

KuduzDrHector
2011-02-26, 08:09 PM
Roman helmets have no peripheral vision. I wonder how the romans got that big using them :smallbiggrin:

DougTheHead
2011-02-26, 08:15 PM
Roman helmets have no peripheral vision. I wonder how the romans got that big using them :smallbiggrin:

Those were gladiator helmets, which were different from Roman helmets and were pretty much made for style. Actual Roman helmets had some limited peripheral vision, but there was generally more than the gladiator helmets, and knowing what's to your left and right isn't that big of a deal when you're fighting in a phalanx, as Romans did.

Lurkmoar
2011-02-26, 08:15 PM
Oh goodness. I wonder if the metal helmets will give that dinosaur digestion problems...

Sire Brenshar
2011-02-26, 08:25 PM
Those were gladiator helmets, which were different from Roman helmets and were pretty much made for style. Actual Roman helmets had some limited peripheral vision, but there was generally more than the gladiator helmets, and knowing what's to your left and right isn't that big of a deal when you're fighting in a phalanx, as Romans did.

Actually, Roman helmets always had very good peripheral vision, at least compared with some of the other helmets of the ancient period, like Corinthian ones. Since Gladiators didn't fight in a formation it really didn't matter as much how well they could see. Also Romans didn't fight in a phalanx, or at least not the ones you're thinking of.

Anyways, great comic, though I'm a bit surprised that Elan shows more concern for his thumbs than for those poor blokes :smallconfused:

Zeofar
2011-02-26, 08:26 PM
Awesome comic. Loved Elan's line.

Is the Allosaurus mechanical? :smallconfused:

Cuz' I'm pretty sure jaw doesn't look like that on live animals, in all OotS style images I saw so far.

Allosaurs. And, as someone above mentioned, the head signifies an Allosaurus. Tyrannosaurs had a distinct, broader head shape.

Check out the moon in #742, too. Deep, man. Way deep.

Ikialev
2011-02-26, 08:29 PM
There's no dot after "Just wait for it".

The Pilgrim
2011-02-26, 08:37 PM
That gives a whole new meaning to the expression "two thumbs up"

Hardcore
2011-02-26, 08:38 PM
"Show 'em the finger" - how are we to interpret Tarquins gesture?

Edan
2011-02-26, 08:41 PM
Tarquin's line in the last pannel. I couldn't help but think of the first item on the Evil Overlord List (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html) about clear non vision obscuring helmets for legions of terror. Then in true brilliance it is taken flipped around and turned into comedic inversion gold. Face obscuring helmets ARE useful especially for disposable minions.

DougTheHead
2011-02-26, 08:42 PM
Actually, Roman helmets always had very good peripheral vision, at least compared with some of the other helmets of the ancient period, like Corinthian ones. Since Gladiators didn't fight in a formation it really didn't matter as much how well they could see. Also Romans didn't fight in a phalanx, or at least not the ones you're thinking of.

Anyways, great comic, though I'm a bit surprised that Elan shows more concern for his thumbs than for those poor blokes :smallconfused:
Well, sure, not a traditional (i.e. Greek) phalanx, but they still generally battled in close formation with their shield half covering them, and half covering the person to the left of them, leaving a small gap for their swords to get through. I'm not sure what else a formation would need to be designated a phalanx- circular shields? Spears you hold onto rather than throw?

The Pilgrim
2011-02-26, 08:47 PM
Ok people, we get it... Rich did his homework on Dinosaurs for this one and we applaud him for it.

Thats got to suck for morale though... Killing one of his own soldiers who, for all we know, did nothing to deserve it. I get that hes evil, I just thought he was a bit smarter than to do something like that... You want your underlings to fear you, but you don't give them a reason to think they'd have a better chance of survival if you were gone... (Ok, granted as far as they know, he's not in charge around there, but he's still the one who gave the order.)

Actually if you look close to panel 9 (not too close, you could end up eaten), you may see that there is only evidence of the Dino eating two bodies, not three. You can see the blue boots of Spartacus #45 and the Red-brown boots of Spartacus #27, but not the brown-grey boots of Generic Mook #2451.

ferrodoxin
2011-02-26, 08:47 PM
Roman legionaries did fight in formation but Phalanx is for greek hoplites I think - I do get my intel from a video game, though.

Ok here is something better;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_infantry_tactics#Deployment_for_combat

I think it matters more if you can see sideways in a formation, because you always have to check the man next to you and stay organised.

MoonCat
2011-02-26, 08:52 PM
*snrk* As a history geek I love that, and as an ethicist I hate Tarquin. But that is pretty funny Giant. Now I'm even more worried for Roy though.

Yendor
2011-02-26, 08:54 PM
Actually if you look close to panel 9 (not too close, you could end up eaten), you may see that there is only evidence of the Dino eating two bodies, not three. You can see the blue boots of Spartacus #45 and the Red-brown boots of Spartacus #27, but not the brown-grey boots of Generic Mook #2451.

The arm sticking out of the allosaurus' mouth on the right doesn't have a manacle on it.

Psyren
2011-02-26, 08:58 PM
Roy has thumbs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html), dunno about the rest.

(I hope that's his thumb anyway)

DougTheHead
2011-02-26, 09:01 PM
Roman legionaries did fight in formation but Phalanx is for greek hoplites I think - I do get my intel from a video game, though.

Ok here is something better;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_infantry_tactics#Deployment_for_combat

I think it matters more if you can see sideways in a formation, because you always have to check the man next to you and stay organised.

Yeah, I was using the terminology wrong. I tend to use "Phalanx" to mean any group of soldiers fighting with overlaid shields. And I think between the shields and the massive amounts of training soldiers went through, peripheral vision would only have been important to the people on the far side of any formation. The Greeks, who marched in a true phalanx, could have pretty tiny eye-openings in their helmets- the guy next to you was protecting half your body, so if his shield was still laid over part of yours, you knew you were still in formation. The Romans' tortuga formation worked off a similar principle.

Thanks for the link, too. That brought me back to the days of playing Rome: Total War. I assume that's the videogame you're talking about? From what I remember, it seemed to follow what I knew about the Romans from my teenage interest pretty closely. Of course, as this comic shows, that's not always reliable information.

The Pilgrim
2011-02-26, 09:02 PM
Well, sure, not a traditional (i.e. Greek) phalanx, but they still generally battled in close formation with their shield half covering them, and half covering the person to the left of them, leaving a small gap for their swords to get through. I'm not sure what else a formation would need to be designated a phalanx- circular shields? Spears you hold onto rather than throw?

Actually the Romans only fought in Phalanx formation in their earlier times (monarchic period).

The Roman Legion was a much more flexible and manoeuvrable formation than a Phalanx. The Phalanx was a very deep formation and the battle was basically a straight-up clash of front lines and push each other until one of the blocks yeld. While the Romans deployed in thinner, multiple lines that rotated, and maniples left a small gap between each other, to lure the enemy infantry and trap them with the second line and the flanks of the first (kind of "hedgedog defense" tactic). Also since the Roman formed in less ranks than the Phalanx, it allowed for a more extended line so they could envelope the enemy better.

The Pilgrim
2011-02-26, 09:03 PM
The arm sticking out of the allosaurus' mouth on the right doesn't have a manacle on it.

You are right. Then that issue is settled.

lvl 1 sharnian
2011-02-26, 09:09 PM
Lol I love how Elan is freaking out over thumbs rather than the 3 people that just got eaten

Gnoman
2011-02-26, 09:09 PM
Actually the Romans only fought in Phalanx formation in their earlier times (monarchic period).

The Roman Legion was a much more flexible and manoeuvrable formation than a Phalanx. The Phalanx was a very deep formation and the battle was basically a straight-up clash of front lines and push each other until one of the blocks yeld. While the Romans deployed in thinner, multiple lines that rotated, and maniples left a small gap between each other, to lure the enemy infantry and trap them with the second line and the flanks of the first (kind of "hedgedog defense" tactic). Also since the Roman formed in less ranks than the Phalanx, it allowed for a more extended line so they could envelope the enemy better.

A legion was just a bunch of little phalanxes. Each mandible was functionally identical to a standard Pahlanx, just much smaller.

DougTheHead
2011-02-26, 09:12 PM

Great, now everyone's busting out the Advanced Roman Military History on me. In my defense, police riot squads are regularly referred to as "phalanxes" despite being essentially a modified Roman formation (right down to the shields- you know your design was good if people are still using it 2000 years later!)

StClair
2011-02-26, 09:13 PM
Three out of three JP movies agree: someone being eaten by a carnosaur is always a crowd-pleaser.

ungolhir
I've heard a bit of debate on the subject of the thumbs up/ thumbs down gesture, but I must say that this comic takes it to an absurd level and I just love it. Great work Herr Burlew.

Cheers!

CelestialMagpie
Hooray for action!

Hopefully that is not how all the fights end :smalleek:

Swordpriest
2011-02-26, 09:24 PM
Lol I love how Elan is freaking out over thumbs rather than the 3 people that just got eaten

See, now, I interpreted it as freaking out about the people who were eaten, and babbling about the thumbs in a shocked sort of way. But I guess there's more than one interpretation to a scene....

The Pilgrim
2011-02-26, 09:34 PM
A legion was just a bunch of little phalanxes. Each mandible was functionally identical to a standard Pahlanx, just much smaller.

Except in that the romans fought with swords instead of long spears, and rectangular shields instead of round ones. So, in fact, a maniple had very little in common with a Phalanx in it's function. Every heavy infantry formation was not a "Phalanx".

The Phalanx fighting strategy was basically "first line contains the enemy with a shield wall, while rear lines push it back with their spears". The romans worked as "first line wears down the enemy, then falls back and the second line comes forward, fresh to battle the weared-down enemy line while the first line takes a breath and reorganizes. And if the second line fails, then the third line serves as back-up to hold the enemy while both the first and second reorganize".

Anyway, if people is gonna nitpick on that, the trope deseves his own thread.

JonestheSpy
2011-02-26, 09:52 PM
See, now, I interpreted it as freaking out about the people who were eaten, and babbling about the thumbs in a shocked sort of way.

My feeling as well.

BTW, anyone else wondering if the choice of an Allosaurus is a nod to Irregular Webcomic (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/615.html)?

Capt Spanner
2011-02-26, 10:04 PM
And the battle has finally begun. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-26, 10:09 PM
I thought thumbs up meant he dies (or send him upward (or send him to heaven)).

Zolem
2011-02-26, 10:17 PM
I thought thumbs up meant he dies (or send him upward (or send him to heaven)).

*sigh* OK, historical debate time. There were three positions to the tumb. Up, down, and sideways. Sideways put it to public vote whether the loser lived or died. Now the debate is on up and down. There are two camps for it, and I will present both, starting with the one I don't agree with.

The first camp stated that 'down' meant to lower your blade, as in 'lower it don't kill him', while up told them to 'raise the blade' for the killing blow.

The second theory is that down meant 'stab him' as the loser was traditionaly on his knees before the winner, and up meant 'let him rise'. It is beleived that this conotation is why thumbs up is good and tumbs down is bad in modern society, whoever as the meaning of gesters does change this isn't hard evidence.

Yendor
2011-02-26, 10:17 PM
Clearly thumbs up meant, "Confuse the hell out of both of them, then feed them to a dinosaur".

The things you learn here...

Sire Brenshar
2011-02-26, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I was using the terminology wrong. I tend to use "Phalanx" to mean any group of soldiers fighting with overlaid shields...
It seems to be a common mistake, but it's a pretty minor one. The others have already covered it quite soundly. Basically phalanx means unbroken line of soldiers fighting side by side, which the Romans did actually use during their early Republic, while later they adopted the more flexible "maniple" style of fighting, i.e smaller units fighting separately but with coordination. Also the Maniple formation tended to have more space between soldiers, rather than being shoulder to shoulder.

Thanks for the link, too. That brought me back to the days of playing Rome: Total War.

Oh... You don't play anymore :smallfrown:

Some of still do :smallredface:

pendell
2011-02-26, 10:26 PM

Erm , no.

Greeks fought in Phalanx (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_formation). The Romans fought as a legion. Polybius (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-maniple.html) compares the Roman tactics to the Greek phalanx in the link I just posted. Briefly, the phalanx wins over the Roman legion if you can arrange to fight in "country flat, bare, and without such impediments as ditches, cavities, depressions, steep banks, or beds of rivers: for all such obstacles are sufficient to hinder and dislocate this particular formation."

The Romans ensured that there was always a selection of such obstacles on the field when they engaged the phalanx, the terrain broke up the formation, then the romans would finish the job with their swords.

It's possible the gladiatorial helmets were modeled on the helms of Rome's enemies, since the first gladiators were enemy prisoners forced to fight each other to the death for the amusement of their captors. After suitably stylized to make a better show of course.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kareasint
2011-02-26, 10:43 PM
See, now, I interpreted it as freaking out about the people who were eaten, and babbling about the thumbs in a shocked sort of way. But I guess there's more than one interpretation to a scene....

We are talking about Elan here. He gets distracted easily. He may be in a state of panic about the thumbs and totally forgotten about the three mooks getting turned into a dino snack.

Tarquin took the position where if they don't fight, they are worthless to me. Feed them to the pet. Pure evil.

Gift Jeraff
2011-02-26, 10:50 PM
I figured he got distracted looking at his hands some point off-screen and didn't even notice the people getting eaten, though I like the idea that he was shocked by the eating, did a similar gesture to this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html), and since his hands were in the air he noticed their lack of thumbs.

Anyway, did the imperial referee guy get eaten as well?

deimos3428
2011-02-26, 11:00 PM

It's not an allosaur. Only two digits on the forelimbs = late Cretaceous tyrannosaur, though not necessarily T. rex. Of course in a world where people only have three digits, anything is possible.

Belsirk
2011-02-26, 11:00 PM
Hahaha
Excelente! Excelente! Tan buen comic que no puedo parar de reir y pensar en ingles... JAJAJA!!

Awesome comic!:smallsigh:

Porthos
2011-02-26, 11:11 PM
It's not an allosaur.

Notwithstanding any mistake regarding claws, it is an allosaurus. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0746.html)

Threeshades
2011-02-26, 11:16 PM
Go, Allosaurus!

Finally the Dinosaurs come into play :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-02-26, 11:23 PM
Clearly thumbs up meant, "Confuse the hell out of both of them, then feed them to a dinosaur".

The things you learn here...

Or he wants to declare thumb war.:smallwink:

Tobimaro
2011-02-26, 11:38 PM
Man, I was just like the confused group in the arena. I did not see that coming! :smallbiggrin:

And Elan getting worked up about his hand? Priceless!

SPoD
2011-02-26, 11:56 PM
If you are debating any aspect of the historical context of this strip or the shape of the allosaurus, then you are who this strip is making fun of.

Blaznak
2011-02-27, 12:03 AM
Dino for the Win!

DougTheHead
2011-02-27, 12:03 AM
Oh... You don't play anymore :smallfrown:

Some of still do :smallredface:

sadly, grad school is a major timesink. it's still on my hard drive, waiting for the day i don't have any more papers to write or grade.

QDI
2011-02-27, 12:05 AM
If you are debating any aspect of the historical context of this strip or the shape of the allosaurus, then you are who this strip is making fun of.

That is not the least funny aspect of this strip...

Dr.Epic
2011-02-27, 12:12 AM
Man, I was just like the confused group in the arena. I did not see that coming! :smallbiggrin:

I don't get how the guys in the arena didn't see it coming. Even if you're blindfolded and your ears are plugged, you'd still feel the earth vibrate from a beast that big.

Toper
2011-02-27, 12:29 AM
...Teabag him?
I can't believe the comic went there. Well played.

Xorbon
2011-02-27, 12:35 AM
Ha! And when I saw Elan's reaction (and before I read the text), I thought he was going to voice his shock and disgust. I didn't think it would be a punchline! :smallbiggrin:

Herald Alberich
2011-02-27, 12:42 AM
I don't get how the guys in the arena didn't see it coming. Even if you're blindfolded and your ears are plugged, you'd still feel the earth vibrate from a beast that big.

The allosaurus did whatever it was the T. rex did at the climax of Jurassic Park.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-02-27, 12:43 AM
Typographical error: period missing after "wait for it"

Conuly
2011-02-27, 12:55 AM

He was on tiptoes.

Dire Moose
2011-02-27, 12:58 AM
He was on tiptoes.

Technically, all theropods are, since they don't normally walk with their metatarsals touching the ground.

This comic reminds me, though... my revised Allosaurus in the homebrew thread is way overdue and needs to be done so everyone can improve their gladiatorial experience.

Amridell
2011-02-27, 01:02 AM
That was great.

I need one of those to stop fights at my school. Sure would end the bullying problem!

...on the other hand, the janitor bill would go up...

Belsirk
2011-02-27, 01:23 AM

Easy , the spectators didn't help them... enough noises for getting a good show :smallamused:

The_Weirdo
2011-02-27, 01:23 AM
Technically, all theropods are, since they don't normally walk with their metatarsals touching the ground.

Okay. What did this very strip JUST teach us about nitpicking? That it gets you eaten by allosauri, that's what!

brionl
2011-02-27, 01:41 AM
Once again, Elan puts his thumb upon the crux of the matter.

Acero
2011-02-27, 01:49 AM
That was amazing!

When I aw the thumb, was just thinking, "So he's gonna die?"

KingFlameHawk
2011-02-27, 01:58 AM
I don't know if anyone has noticed but in Panel 10 you can see that the troop on top of the dino is smiling. When I saw that I was thinking his thoughts were like "That's for eating my lunch yesterday, %$#*"

Dr.Epic
2011-02-27, 02:33 AM
The allosaurus did whatever it was the T. rex did at the climax of Jurassic Park.

You win this round nonsensical, overused cliches.

Falxo
2011-02-27, 02:38 AM
What's really funny is that I've read something about the gladiatorial thumb-pointing a few hours before this comic was online.

Of course, it's probably not that funny for people who aren't me.

But great comic anyway, as is any comic featuring dinosaurs :smallsmile:

ella ventic
2011-02-27, 03:00 AM
As to an allosaurus with only two claws, well, humans in OotS-world only have three fingers per hand, so what's the problem?

Or possibly two fingers and a thumb.

Hey look, it's like a theme! Nicely (though likely unintentionally) done, Rich!

Narren
2011-02-27, 03:14 AM
Having your own guards eaten in the arena has to be a wreck for morale. That handbook should really be updated.

Gnoman
2011-02-27, 03:16 AM
It should include the line "screw up and you'll be eaten by an allosaurus in the arena.

tigerhawkvok
2011-02-27, 03:19 AM

Technically, T. rex and other Tyrannosauridae often had a third vestigial finger, little more than a spur off the wrist, but visible. Depends on the individual/quality of the find.

Also, it's "T. rex". Saying "T-Rex" is like saying "H-Sapiens" or "G-Gallus" (instead of "H. sapiens" or "G. gallus"). I realize it's a common style, but it's flatly incorrect.

Themrys
2011-02-27, 03:50 AM
Clearly, Elan couldn't stand the shock of seeing one of his beloved dinosaurs committing such a cruel deed. His brain shut down and concentrated on thumbs instead.

I'd like to see the faces of the others on that...balcony or whatever it is called.

ThePhantasm
2011-02-27, 04:28 AM
First off, I was expecting more on this page (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). The anticipation for Roy vs. whoever has been built up so much that now no matter what happens it will be anti-climatic. Sometimes instead of prolonging things you just have to give the audience what they want, which is doubly fitting because we're talking about gladiators.

I don't think Rich is prolonging things. In fact, I'm excited to see some arena action going down without Roy on the scene. Lets get some good gladiator jokes in before the main event, shall we?

Welf
2011-02-27, 04:49 AM
Tarquin has the heart and the soul of a TV producer. :smallsmile:

HeseMCMXCI
2011-02-27, 05:13 AM
Thumbs up gor this one n.n

dps
2011-02-27, 06:11 AM
My feeling as well.

BTW, anyone else wondering if the choice of an Allosaurus is a nod to Irregular Webcomic (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/615.html)?

I figured it was a reference to Questionable Content, actually.

Psyren
2011-02-27, 06:46 AM
I can't believe the comic went there. Well played.

Eh, I think Belkar was worse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html) personally.

TLMonkey
2011-02-27, 07:22 AM
And here I thought it was a lil' strange Tarkin was letting that gladiator live... But of course! That's why people invented Non-peripheral vision helmets, so gladiators could get eaten by dinosaurs! Also, all that nitpicking about allosauri and T-Rexes... Didn't you just see what happened to those poor, poor gladiators?:smalltongue:

BTW, "Teabag him?"... What does that mean (sorry, mother language not English)?

Mehangel
2011-02-27, 07:55 AM
Uh the reference in question is directed to the ridiculing act of teabagging. I would've posted a link to wikipedia, however, there is a graphic image. Pretty much a male hazes another by placing his ball sack into the face of another as a sign of dominance over the other.

Irbis
2011-02-27, 08:13 AM
Check out the moon in #742, too. Deep, man. Way deep.

There's a small difference between not knowing how things work and drawing the dinosaur like a mechanical doll with movable parts when none of the big creatures in comic so far were drawn as such.

Ok, I might be overthinking this, but thick lines making both jaw and head separate like a paper cutouts are new.

Burner28
2011-02-27, 08:54 AM
:smallsmile::smallsmile:

Swordpriest
2011-02-27, 08:58 AM

Actually, I'm not sure if that would be the case, Jurassic Park notwithstanding. Elephants are set up to walk quietly with large, squishy pads on the bottom of their feet. That would be even more advantageous to a carnivore -- so I often wonder if the carnosaurs were surprisingly sneaky for beasts their size.

Skaven
2011-02-27, 09:29 AM
This reminded me of this XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcXWsibiiPk

ALso, this comic was awesome by default due to Dinosaur.

pendell
2011-02-27, 09:50 AM

Anyone can make as much fun of me for obsessing over those little details as he/she likes. I am a geek and I am unashamed. :) Obsessing over little details and overanalysis gives me joy , and if my silliness makes other people laugh, giving THEM joy in turn, I don't see how anyone loses.

The "do we even have thumbs", incidentally, was hilarious.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

LOTRfan
2011-02-27, 09:57 AM
Okay. What did this very strip JUST teach us about nitpicking? That it gets you eaten by allosauri, that's what!

Allosaurs. Please don't sic them at me for nitpicking! :smalleek::smalltongue:

Leliel
2011-02-27, 09:59 AM
Thumbs up-variable meaning.

Thumbs down-variable meaning.

Getting eaten by a trained dinosaur-STFU about hand gestures!

:smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 10:09 AM
Roy has thumbs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html), dunno about the rest.

(I hope that's his thumb anyway)

Guess which finger this is. :smallamused: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0191.html)

Ledrug
2011-02-27, 10:25 AM
Guess which finger this is. :smallamused: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0191.html)

Obviously the thumb, duh.

Seriously, though: how's Elan not even the least bit offended by senseless bloodshed in the ring?

JSSheridan
2011-02-27, 10:39 AM
Thanks Giant!

Shouldn't the copyright be saying 2011 rather than 2010?

SteveDJ
2011-02-27, 10:43 AM

Sorry, no. Why should a strip over 6 years old be given any such credit?

SteveDJ
2011-02-27, 10:45 AM
BTW, "Teabag him?"... What does that mean (sorry, mother language not English)?

Let's just say - possibly not appropriate for this forum. Might I suggest Google for the answer?

the_tick_rules
2011-02-27, 10:54 AM
Teabag him? I'm surprised thatt actually got posted.

arpin
2011-02-27, 11:07 AM

It's a simple question of priorities. Think about it: You are the type who devotes all of their focus to one thing. There are two choices:

1.Keeping track of anything in the gladiator ring that may kill you.

2.Figuring out hand signals.

I think we should all be able to see the more important thing out of these two.

The MunchKING
2011-02-27, 11:09 AM

Cause the Allosaur was THAT awesome!!

iowaforever
2011-02-27, 11:10 AM
i always wondered how dinosaurs were going to be drawn here.

on the subject on the Allosaur's hands, possibly one finger is behind another, thush blocking it from view

Woodsman
2011-02-27, 11:50 AM
That dinosaur is way too epic.

This arc just keeps getting better and better! :smallbiggrin:

Wardog
2011-02-27, 12:02 PM

I think the technically correct (i.e. scientific standard) plural for Allosaurus is just Allosaurus. I'm not sure what the proper Greek way of pluralising -saurus is. If you treat it as a naturalized English word, it would probably be Allosauruses, although that looks ugly.

Based on Wikipedia redirects, "Allosaur[s]" (and any other "-saurs") seems not a plural as such, but an informal name for one of the higher taxonomic groups.

Allosaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allosaur)=> Allosauroidea (superfamily)
Tyrannosaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaur)=> Tyrannosauroidea (superfamily)
Stegosaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaur) => Steosauria (infraorder)

Although Apatosaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatosaur) just redirects to Apatosaurus, so there doesn't seem to be any consistency in use (or at least no consistency in Wikpedia's redirects).

Is there any genuine paleontologist or taxonomist here that could clear this up once and for all? (Preferably before the whole forum gets eaten by an unspecified therapod).

JonestheSpy
2011-02-27, 12:05 PM

Because the Allosaurus in a recurring character is Irregular Webcomic, I just linked to a particularly amusing strip it was in, that's why.

Actually, I think it would be far more appropriate for everyone arguing about theropods to be suddenly cut down by a troop of gladiators.

Swordpriest
2011-02-27, 12:17 PM

Seriously, though: how's Elan not even the least bit offended by senseless bloodshed in the ring?

Maybe that's what his horrified expression indicates? :smallconfused:

factotum
2011-02-27, 12:31 PM
Because the Allosaurus is a recurring character is Irregular Webcomic, I just linked to a particularly amusing strip it was in, that's why.

You do realise that Allosaurus (the actual creature) predates Irregular Webcomic by around 150 million years, right? :smallwink:

LOTRfan
2011-02-27, 12:35 PM
I think the technically correct (i.e. scientific standard) plural for Allosaurus is just Allosaurus. I'm not sure what the proper Greek way of pluralising -saurus is. If you treat it as a naturalized English word, it would probably be Allosauruses, although that looks ugly.

Based on Wikipedia redirects, "Allosaur[s]" (and any other "-saurs") seems not a plural as such, but an informal name for one of the higher taxonomic groups.

Tyrannosaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaur)=> Tyrannosauroidea (superfamily)

Although Apatosaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatosaur) just redirects to Apatosaurus, so there doesn't seem to be any consistency in use (or at least no consistency in Wikpedia's redirects).

Is there any genuine paleontologist or taxonomist here that could clear this up once and for all? (Preferably before the whole forum gets eaten by an unspecified therapod).

I've seen it done both ways. As long as we agree that "us" doesn't change to "i" in this case. Dire Moose is a paleontologist, we could ask him.

grimbold
2011-02-27, 02:28 PM
the thumb signals have given me a lot to contemplate

Keejus
2011-02-27, 02:29 PM
I don't see why Elan would be too startled by this. Surprised, sure, but Tarquin has already made his habit of countering any kind of slights against him with gratuitous violence clear, and Elan's seen the dinosaur zoo already.

HalfTangible
2011-02-27, 02:36 PM
I don't see why Elan would be too startled by this. Surprised, sure, but Tarquin has already made his habit of countering any kind of slights against him with gratuitous violence clear, and Elan's seen the dinosaur zoo already.

That's not at the dinosaur. Re-read his last speech bubble and look where he's looking.

But wouldn't they have heard/felt the T-Rex walking up behind them? I mean he's not exactly Tiny Tim >.>

Herald Alberich
2011-02-27, 03:28 PM
You know, as bad as forcing prisoners to fight to the death is, and as bad as having a large, stealthy dinosaur eat them when they stop fighting and start arguing is, I think we all need to remember that it could be worse.

Much, much worse. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0548.html)

PsychedelicBard
2011-02-27, 03:39 PM
That's not a dinosaur, it's a space station!

Ha, loved the comic. But now I'm curious at whether thumbs up is for killing or living.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-02-27, 03:55 PM
That's not a dinosaur, is a space station!

Ha, loved the comic. But now I'm curious at whether thumbs up is for killing or living.

I have a book on gladiators, it says they're not sure what thumbs up and thumbs down mean, they just know that one means live, the other means die. DIE DIE DIE!

cabbagesquirrel
2011-02-27, 04:06 PM
You would hate to get a downward thumb with a wiggle, especially if you were fighting an ogre or *gulp* a golem...rock family jewels!

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 04:45 PM

Aha! You are a conspirator! Not that I found out with the above quote. :smallannoyed: IT WAS THE RING FINGER!:smalltongue: How was the teabagging thing even allowed though? (By Rich's personal comic filter, not the mods)

calar
2011-02-27, 05:14 PM
I wish I had a stealthy t-rex.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-02-27, 07:55 PM
I see no point in the nitpicking, T.Rex, Allosaurus, Verasaurus, Cankersaurus, Dire Veloceraptor, Giant Dire Composaurus, whatever, doesn't really matter...

What matters is that poor guard (yes, he was definitely eaten... it is his left arm sticking out of the Dino's mouth, as the gladiator had a shield on that arm, and the shield isn't on the ground afterwards). First he loses his job and can't pay his mortgage, then he gets a new lower paying job as a Gladiatorial Arena Guard instead of one of the Prison Guards, then he gets eaten... well, I guess he no longer has to worry about paying his mortgage.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-02-27, 08:00 PM

I thought that was the finger of death.:smalltongue:

Ranylyn
2011-02-27, 08:07 PM
*ignores the dinosaur discussion*

It's amazing how this arc has very quickly turned Elan into my favorite character. Once again, love him in the last panel.

The Pilgrim
2011-02-27, 08:58 PM

More like "Finger of Failure" :smalltongue:

Kish
2011-02-27, 09:11 PM
You do realise that Allosaurus (the actual creature) predates Irregular Webcomic by around 150 million years, right? :smallwink:
No! Before there was our solar system, there was Irregular Webcomic!

PsychedelicBard
2011-02-27, 09:14 PM
Well, before there was our solar system, there was mezzacotta...

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-27, 09:25 PM
Cause the Allosaur was THAT awesome!!
I'm still gonna go ahead and say it's a reference to the dinosaur itself and not a pretty obscure webcomic we don't even know Rich has heard of, let alone reads.

How was the teabagging thing even allowed though? (By Rich's personal comic filter, not the mods)
What "personal comic filter"? People who post in the forum have to abide by the rules there; Rich doesn't have any such restriction on the content he posts elsewhere on the site.

(The Great Erfworld Scandal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112431) proved that much, at least.)

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 10:30 PM
What "personal comic filter"? People who post in the forum have to abide by the rules there; Rich doesn't have any such restriction on the content he posts elsewhere on the site.

(The Great Erfworld Scandal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112431) proved that much, at least.)

I meant that I'm pretty sure the Giant has said several times that he keeps it PG since he knows kids will read him (I was really young when I began to read OoTS). That's what I meant by personal, though I knew some confusion was inevitable.

Nah, pointer of pointlessness.

JonestheSpy
2011-02-27, 10:51 PM
No! Before there was our solar system, there was Irregular Webcomic!

Before the Big Bang, even. (One of the Big Bangs, anyway) (http://irregularwebcomic.net/comic.php?current=2246&dir=next5)

Let's put it this way: if Tarquin and the Empress are overthrown and they elect the Allosuarus to head the new government, we'll know for sure.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-27, 10:55 PM
I meant that I'm pretty sure the Giant has said several times that he keeps it PG since he knows kids will read him (I was really young when I began to read OoTS). That's what I meant by personal, though I knew some confusion was inevitable.
There's no confusion; he did say the comic would remain PG-13, but nothing from the latest strip contradicts that. See this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6209222&postcount=254) post from the thread I just linked.

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 11:24 PM
There's no confusion; he did say the comic would remain PG-13, but nothing from the latest strip contradicts that. See this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6209222&postcount=254) post from the thread I just linked.

Well I'm not offended, I just wonder if teabagging would be mentioned in a PG-13 movie. I don't usually bother to pay attention, so will someone tell me if teabagging would be considered okay for that, if not plot critical (which this bit wasn't). I didn't care about the '****' in Erfworld, I''m happy to say I got it's meaning.

Herald Alberich
2011-02-27, 11:28 PM
Well I'm not offended, I just wonder if teabagging would be mentioned in a PG-13 movie. I don't usually bother to pay attention, so will someone tell me if teabagging would be considered okay for that, if not plot critical (which this bit wasn't). I didn't care about the '****' in Erfworld, I''m happy to say I got it's meaning.

Oh, probably. Mentioned, but not shown, just like here in the comic. It's a slang term anyway; to be offended, you have to already know what it means, so it's not corrupting anyone by being written here in the comic.

Unless you take this as inspiration to go look it up, which is of course easy to do, I suppose.

MoonCat
2011-02-27, 11:35 PM
Oh, probably. Mentioned, but not shown, just like here in the comic. It's a slang term anyway; to be offended, you have to already know what it means, so it's not corrupting anyone by being written here in the comic.

Unless you take this as inspiration to go look it up, which is of course easy to do, I suppose.

Okay, that makes sense. Which reminds me of the joke about the old lady who complained, because men were whistling dirty songs under her window as they passed by.:smalltongue:

Themrys
2011-02-28, 01:20 AM

I have no doubt that the innocent non-native speaker who asked what it meant does know know. And repents having asked.
Personally, I find that term (which I unfortunately looked up, yes, it is easy) in itself more offensive than a naked Elan. (That was just censored for the lulz, was it? He's a stick figure, there would've been nothing to see anyway)

From now on, I will only look up words that are used by Vaarsuvius, for I have trust in hir noble elvish social standards. :smallsigh:

ArqArturo
2011-02-28, 01:26 AM
Heheh, Death by Dinosaur.

TheRiov
2011-02-28, 09:41 AM
anyone else notice this comic is Copyright 2010 instead of 2011?

TLMonkey
2011-02-28, 10:43 AM
I have no doubt that the innocent non-native speaker who asked what it meant does know now. And repents having asked.

If you're talking about me... sort of :smallsigh:. But as I always say, you never know when you'll have to use this "apparently useless and/or offensive vocabulary", as I call it in front of my classmates :smalltongue:

But again, we are nitpicking too much! Didn't any of us learn the moral of this fable?

Themrys
2011-02-28, 12:01 PM
But again, we are nitpicking too much! Didn't any of us learn the moral of this fable?

"If you don't rebel against an obviously evil dictator in time, you get eaten by a dinosaur?"

Or do you mean "Nitpicking gets you eaten by a dinousaur"? In that case, I feel safe - I live in a relatively cold country and a dinousaur wouldn's survive here. Not in February, at least. So I can do all the nitpicking I want. :smallamused:

otakufan
2011-02-28, 12:33 PM
Personally, I find that term (which I unfortunately looked up, yes, it is easy) in itself more offensive than a naked Elan. (That was just censored for the lulz, was it? He's a stick figure, there would've been nothing to see anyway)

I think Haley would disagree there... :smalltongue:

the_tick_rules
2011-02-28, 12:40 PM
To quote Belkar

I think I just failed a spot check.

Themrys
2011-02-28, 02:09 PM
I think Haley would disagree there... :smalltongue:

Well, the cleric of Loki was able to cast a Sending spell to Durkon in spite of Haleys poor drawing abilities and the fact that there are probably lots of dwarves who are bald and have a beard and wear heavy armour.

So I guess Haley just sees more in-universe than we see when reading the comic. ;)

Conuly
2011-02-28, 02:20 PM
Let's just say - possibly not appropriate for this forum. Might I suggest Google for the answer?

With safesearch ON, thanks.

In very short, it's a sexual act, which sometimes has negative connotations for one partner - the "loser" in the gladiatorial games, that is.

homersolo
2011-02-28, 03:15 PM
Silly Elan, of course you have thumbs, and you have for hundreds of strips. See Belkar here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html

Themrys
2011-02-28, 03:57 PM
Silly Elan, of course you have thumbs, and you have for hundreds of strips. See Belkar here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html

If Belkar has thumbs, does that mean Elan has thumbs, too? After all, Belkar is a halfling...:smalltongue:

If we assume that everyone has thumbs in this comic, and index fingers (Roy does), the question is: Is the third finger a middle finger or a ring finger?

My guess is that Belkar has middle fingers and Durkon has ring fingers, but for the other characters, I'm not sure...

Edit: V must have a ring finger, s/he's married. Roy probably plans to marry, too...as for the chaotic humans, that's difficult to say. Maybe they have a ring finger on the one hand and a middle finger on the other? :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2011-02-28, 04:14 PM
Xykon definitely has a middle finger as linked before. The 3 fingers probably just change roles depending on the situation.

Morph Bark
2011-02-28, 05:05 PM

Since "saurus" is Latin (if it were Greek, it'd end in "-os"), the plural would end in "-i", so Allosauri is indeed correct.

It all depends on whether you prefer to use the actual Latin names or common English names for them. (Though in my native language, Dutch, we use the Latin names anyway, yet use Dutch pluralization for them. If done in the same manner with the common English names, the plural would be Allosauruses.)

robertc99
2011-02-28, 09:47 PM
With safesearch ON, thanks.

In very short, it's a sexual act, which sometimes has negative connotations for one partner - the "loser" in the gladiatorial games, that is.

Actually, given that we're talking about something done to a person just defeated in a comic. I choose to believe that this this (http://www.giantbomb.com/tea-bagging/92-142/) definition of teabagging that being used.

Anyone who thinks different has a dirty mind :-)

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 09:53 PM
I just though of something amazing to sum up this round.

Red vs. Blue!

Allosaurus wins!

Morgan Wick
2011-02-28, 10:23 PM
If I have another Latin class where the teacher brings up the gladiator/thumb thing, I'm sending them this comic... as part of my overall plan for OOTS world domination, of course.

Conuly
2011-02-28, 11:24 PM
Actually, given that we're talking about something done to a person just defeated in a comic. I choose to believe that this this (http://www.giantbomb.com/tea-bagging/92-142/) definition of teabagging that being used.

Anyone who thinks different has a dirty mind :-)

You do realize that the video game definition is based on pretending to do the real life version, right?

hamishspence
2011-03-01, 06:09 AM
Since "saurus" is Latin (if it were Greek, it'd end in "-os"), the plural would end in "-i", so Allosauri is indeed correct.

I thought they were usually treated as plural being the same as the singular?

So "Over there, you will see a pack of Allosaurus".

or something along those lines?

butterbow
2011-03-01, 07:10 AM
I'm also no native English speaker and didn't know what tea-baging ment; no I know I don't feel it's offensive, 'cause, you know, they didn't do it. I think just mention such a thing in a discussion (and it was an important one, because not knowing Tarwuins thumb signs seems to be very unhealthy) is perfectly approtiate. Plus "down and wiggling"... Hilarius! *giggles*

QDI
2011-03-01, 01:19 PM

All latin words in -us do not have a plural in -i (corpus/corpora).
All ancient words in -us are not latin (Basileus/Basileis is greek).
And anyway, if you want to follow the rules, you will have to adapt the termination to the position of the word in the sentences.

So it is a lot safer to just say "Many Allosaurus".

rewinn
2011-03-02, 03:49 AM

You DO know where Tarquin got the critter?
Allosaur R Us!

otakufan
2011-03-02, 10:53 AM
You DO know where Tarquin got the critter?
Allosaur R Us!

I'm sorry sir, but your Pun License has been revoked.

Lupusater
2011-03-02, 11:03 AM
It's simply appropriate that this comic spawned The Great Nitpick Fest of 2011...

otakufan
2011-03-02, 11:10 AM
Appropriate nothing. This was Giant's intention all along. :smalltongue:

Wolfram
2011-03-02, 04:35 PM
anyone else notice this comic is Copyright 2010 instead of 2011?

Copyright is effective upon creation.

DaveMcW
2011-03-02, 06:48 PM
Copyright is effective upon creation.

For single-author works, the only date that matters is the death of the author.

Warguert
2011-03-03, 12:31 AM
Long time reader, just wanted to say i love the comic.

blazingshadow
2011-03-03, 02:32 AM
For single-author works, the only date that matters is the death of the author.then what are we waiting for?

Runeclaw
2011-03-03, 05:57 PM
For single-author works, the only date that matters is the death of the author.

The creation date is also somewhat relevant, in the sense that another work which predates it can't be considered to infringe it, I would think.

Capt Spanner
2011-03-03, 07:46 PM
then what are we waiting for?

For Rich to finish the storyline, publish it all, reprint War & XPs, do another prequel (or two) and answer in depth every single theory anyone has ever published on TVTropes WMG page that wasn't specifically addressed in the other material.

blazingshadow
2011-03-03, 11:59 PM
so no killing then? can we at least torture him instead?

Yendor
2011-03-04, 12:01 AM
can we at least torture him instead?

Which part of "answer every single theory" was unclear?

Themrys
2011-03-04, 04:25 AM
When I was young, I wanted to become a famous author. Now, I am not so sure anymore...:smalleek:

Capt Spanner
2011-03-04, 10:34 AM
so no killing then? can we at least torture him instead?

Now, please. Do you think he'll give us real answers in that case? He'll just make them up. ("Of course! Redcloak was good along!" is a much shorter answer than "Well, actually it's a little more complicated than that. You see ... [nature of good and evil] ... [more philosophical discussion] ... so, in conclusion it's deliberately unclear on the matter, and I invite the readers / fans to draw their own conclusions without drawing any myself" is a) longer and b) probably will just lead to more WMG theories.

I think "mild stalking" (to the point of eavesdropping) is the most you can get away with here.

Guywiththecoat
2011-03-05, 10:32 PM
I like Tarquin. He has a dinosaur. Any arguement you make is invalid.

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-06, 10:22 PM
If we assume that everyone has thumbs in this comic, and index fingers (Roy does), the question is: Is the third finger a middle finger or a ring finger?
It's the little finger. Literally everyone's been rocking the devil horns throughout the whole comic.

All latin words in -us do not have a plural in -i (corpus/corpora).
All ancient words in -us are not latin (Basileus/Basileis is greek).
And anyway, if you want to follow the rules, you will have to adapt the termination to the position of the word in the sentences.

Isn't that a bit like saying "Many elephant"?

Anyway, yadda yadda yadda allosaur allosaurs (http://www.dinosauria.com/dml/writing.html).

xelliea
2011-04-05, 10:01 AM
Is it just me or does it look like he is wagging his finger, not his thumb?