PDA

View Full Version : Good 4th level and lower Psionic Powers?

Aemoh87
2011-02-26, 08:58 PM
I saw a thread about ego whip and I rarely play with psionics. But what are considered the "best" powers between 1st and 4th level?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-26, 09:46 PM
Just a few personal favourites:

Astral Constuct is quite versatile and useful.
Vigor + Share pain+ Psycrytal=night unkillable psion
I am really partial to Dimension Step, really few things can beat a swift action teleport.
The already mentioned Ego whip.
Claws of the Beast and Jaws of the Wolf are two powers that scale really nicely.
Expansion is made of awesome.
For some reason that I don't understand, you can break the action economy with the first level power Synchronicity...so I suppose it is powerful

Vknight
2011-02-26, 09:48 PM
Those are the few I would list. But from personal experience I would include 'Mind Thrust'

Daftendirekt
2011-02-26, 10:19 PM
Psionic Repair Damage + Warforged = win.

Vknight
2011-02-26, 10:26 PM
Psionic Repair Damage + Warforged = win.

Not just win super win!

Zaq
2011-02-26, 10:26 PM
I find Mind Thrust to be unremarkable, honestly.

Anyway, most things that are good as spells are equally good as powers (like Dimension Door, Grease, you name it). Psionic Minor Creation is infamously good (Minor Creation is a 4th level spell for wizards, but it's a 1st level power for psions . . . and you don't have to have a piece of whatever it is that you're creating in the first place). Astral Construct goes without saying. Energy Ray and Crystal Shard are classics, but you don't need both; personally, I prefer Crystal Shard. If you're at a level where AC matters, Inertial Armor isn't bad (not spectacular unless you overchannel or wild surge it, but not bad). PsyWar powers can be good times . . . Hustle's uses are obvious and manifold, Claws of the Beast can be build-defining if you want it to be, Expansion is way better than Enlarge Person, and so on.

Plenty of good stuff if you poke around a little bit.

Spoilered for being a tangent: Someday, I think it might be interesting to play a midlevel character who only knows 1st level powers. Sure, you're gimping yourself a bit compared to a character who takes powers normally, but think about how many good 1st level powers there are, especially if you get access to discipline powers or alternate lists. Just off the top of my head:

Crystal Shard
Astral Construct
Vigor
Psionic Minor Creation
Dimension Hop
Inertial Armor

And that's without even getting into the PsyWar list for fun gishy stuff. I think you could play a pretty satisfying character with that. That's a quirk and a benefit of the augmentation system, I suppose.