PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Knowstone and sorcerer early entry?

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-26, 09:11 PM
Say you take the feat Versatile Spellcaster, and at level 5 trade in two second level spell slots for a third. Of course, you don't actually know any third level spells, and the normal trick here would be to take Heighten Spell, but this additional, effectively useless feat is a rather steep price to pay.

Could you, instead, use a level 3 Knowstone? These tasty little items are from Dragon 333, page 93, and simply add a single spell of the appropriate level to your list of spells known. Clocking in at 9k gp, this is pricey, but retains its usefulness as you level. Interestingly enough, this is also precisely the amount of gold that a level 5 character starts with, according to the WBL chart on DMG 135.

What do you guys think? Is this a valid early entry tactic? Am I right to think that it's almost strictly superior to the Versatile/Heighten combo?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-26, 09:42 PM
Might work with a REALLY really lenient DM, so yeah. Still that is a good trick though.

OtoH I disagree that heighten spell is a useless feat, it maintains your lower level save or X spell (glitterdust) relevant in the long term

Coidzor
2011-02-27, 12:06 AM
Anyone who allows early entry and knowstones I can see allowing this. Should be fine.

gbprime
2011-02-27, 12:48 AM
Your milage may vary. Some DM's won't allow entry into a PrC based on your equipment. If your DM is one of those, you'll have to pick up Heighten Spell instead. That plus Versatile Spellcaster is rock solid.