PDA

View Full Version : Simple Heroes

SpENster
2011-02-26, 09:17 PM
Hey, got the thread up, say hey here --> You are in a fairly decent sized city. I don't care about anachronisms too much, so lets say you are in a tower.

Good Luck!

Chained Birds
2011-02-26, 09:48 PM
Teller

Teller will attempt to identify the people around him using his senses.

"I hope I'm not encountering an enemy so soon."

He is looking for the vibrations created through either the sounds from someone's voice in response to his comment, or the movements of people's steps within the tower. These vibrations help him see the world clearly.

[OOC:I'll just place my character here to make it easier to look-up.]
Teller, Stone-mancer

-- Stats --

STR: 4
DEX: 6
AGI: 3
CON: 4
INT: 3

-- Background --

After losing his wife and eyes due to an unfortunate glass incident caused by a hurricane. He left his ruined home to prepare his body and mind in the rocky outposts to the north. After 6 years of training he learned to sense the world around him in a different light, and planned to use the strength he gained to defeat the evils of the world. He has a vendetta against anyone who wields the winds as a weapon as he believes someone caused the incident that destroyed his life.

-- Other Details --

Teller is a man with a medium build, strong hands, decent mind, and a unique perception of the world around him. His usual attire consists of some long pants, a loose tattered vest, and a white bandana over his eyes. If people bother to take a closer look at him, they would note multiple hair line scars over his body and some deeper one along the outlines of his bandana.
Although blind, he uses the vibrations in the ground to sense the area around him and the people and beings that exist in it. Though this technique took years to learn, he is no master, and is only able to use it to get a feel for the world around him. Because of his weakened perceptive capabilities, he is not known to engage people in combat; but with his well-crafted cane and his techniques, he can still put up a decent fight against many opponents.
He may not know the full details to why the city is in peril, but he will attempt to aid it at best as he can. Why? For his own reasons, why else?

-- Items --

Blindman's Cane: Attack: 3 + Dex Counterattack: 2dInt

-- Skills --

Stone soul: May sacrifice 1 intelligence to double your established counterattack points (after rolls).

Volthawk
2011-02-27, 01:21 PM
"Well, if you don't try anything, we'll get on just fine."

David is leaning against a nearby wall, his stick next to him.

Dave
---
Stats:
Strength: 4
Dexterity: 4
Agility: 4
Constitution: 4
Intelligence: 4
---
Background:
Dave has spent all his life wandering, early on with his father, but later on on his own, when his father got eaten by a bear. He's never stayed in one place for long, since it isn't really what he's like. For him, a life wandering all over the world is the life for him.
---
Items:

Walking Stick - Weapon (Attack:[Str] Counterattack: Str+Con)
Rope - Utility Item
---
Skills:

Sure Footing: 50% chance to add dexterity to counterattack score.

davidlewing
2011-02-28, 02:48 PM
OOC: Do we know how we got here? If there is a window I will walk up to it and look out.

Kel Jirgen

Stats:
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 3
Agility: 3
Intelligence: 3
Constitution: 6

Backround:
Kel's father, a soldier, spent much of his time teaching and training Kel to be a warrior from a young age, until he died when Kel was 12. Now 23 Kel had been a soldier as well for several years until the long war had ended. Now searching for a job, he found (whatever this group is).

Items:
- Canteen (occasional special choices in battle for victory, like all utility items)
- 3 X Med Pack; Have a 75% to eliminate any point loss to constitution that just occured. Uses up pack.

Weapons:
- Defense Blade: 3 attack, 12 counterattack

Skills:
- Survivor: If constitution reaches 0, you have a 50% chance to make it 2 instead.

SpENster
2011-03-01, 06:59 PM
Whoa, you are amazing, just what I was hoping for!

-The lot of you are walking together, though you may have never known each other. Only one of you is visible... this one calls themself the "party leader". None of you quite honestly have any idea what this means, including the leader. But the leader feels quite cool, as he is visible. The rest of you might feel sad.-

-A strange force compels you to "use the stick" to move around. Many of you try it; only the leader succeeds. This makes the leader feel quite cool. You might think to bring him down a notch by telling him that walking isn't much to be proud of, but you can't as only the leader can initiate party conversations and even then you can only tell him about key items or a generic catch-phrase that most likely makes you feel very stereotypical.-

-The strange force tells you to press the "A" button when you are near something to interact with it. Now, that smug leader feels nervous... he frantically searches himself for a button labelled "A" as he is the only one visible.-

-How odd, the window is flashing with a green "A" above it!-

Good luck! And thanks for all the patience.

Chained Birds
2011-03-01, 09:57 PM
Teller

"A? I wonder what everyone is seeing that I'm not. I'm just glad I don't have to fight yet; feeling only good vibrations from the lot of 'ya."

Teller doesn't understand the things he's been hearing all too well, but follows along with his trustly cane tapping the ground slightly. The vibrations from the cane help him see like path in front of him.

davidlewing
2011-03-02, 10:07 AM
OOC: Uhhh... this is kinda wierd. Cool though. I am not sure though how to translate what you said into something my character can react to. Hmmm... I guess I am going to try to press the A.

SpENster
2011-03-03, 12:53 PM
Yo, of course its weird. I aim to be weird, and the current flavor is jrpg. Imma do me some satire throughout... and its about to get survival horror.

Btw, ChainedMan, if you really don't wanna fight... sorry, it's about to begin.

So, one of you idiots (since none of you said it, we'll take it was the sloooow one that hasn't posted yet) listened to the voice and pressed the imaginary "A". Never EVER listen to the voice in your head, people! Didn't your parents teach you anything?

As a group you hover around the window and peer out on your city. Yesterday was a normal day, but now...

Out of the window: Evolutionary chaos, beasts everywhere, a giant eagle spitting fire... oh god, it's raining too! ... shaky camera, even though its a window You stick your heads to the top of the window and look down to the base of the tower. Oh God! Oh Shiva! You see a giant tentacled beast wrapping itself around the tower. It's green, slimy and appears to be almost plant-like. You notice it is dripping and the drops form tiny green heads, resembling those of a human with six legs. You notice three of them crawling towards your window!!!

What do you do?

6 minutes til crisis point!

In a far off corner of the word Shouzhou Mishiogou cackles incessantly, "At least in my game, you would've faced rats first.... you guys are screwwwwwwed!" He then peacefully sips a Mountain Dew and plays FFVII.

davidlewing
2011-03-03, 01:00 PM
OOC: Woah! I will have Kel search the room for anything to throw at them... You said six minutes, does that mean 60 rounds? or are we not using rounds like that? Also are there any doors or stairs? Maybe a ladder? Furniture?

Volthawk
2011-03-03, 01:07 PM
"Well...this is bad. Right...well, let's see. What have we got? I've got my walking stick and some rope. Thing is, using the rope will get us closer to that thing, so I don't think that's a good idea."

davidlewing
2011-03-03, 01:13 PM
OOC: Looking at all of our items, I see staff, rope, cane, canteen, medpacs. Not many options. I will stand at the window with my sword out ready to attack if they get close. If there is something to throw I'll do that first.

Chained Birds
2011-03-03, 01:18 PM
Teller

"I don't really understand what all the fuss is about; but I guess it's time to fight."

He readies himself to confront the horrors that creep towards him, tracking the bizarre scraping vibrations of beings crawling the tower's side. He readies his cane to strike at the window area as soon as he senses the creatures' presence.
But he is curious about the actions of the other members around him.

"I do hope this is the correct course of action... anyone?"

OOC...

Btw, ChainedMan, if you really don't wanna fight... sorry, it's about to begin.
Just playing in character until the battle starts :smallsmile:.

SpENster
2011-03-03, 02:53 PM
The soldier picks up a book to throw at the face-things coming towards you.

If his strength + 1d10 beats 8, he knocks one down!!

By the way, the book happened to be called "A Book of Most Awesome Spells" but eh, soldiers... amirite?

[roll0]

that totally smacks one down, good job!

But, the tentacle of the beast notices the cry of its spawn... its heading towards the window. As a result, only two are coming towards you now, but you make the surge faster.

Crisis Time: 3 minutes

davidlewing
2011-03-08, 11:43 AM
OOC: If there is anything else to throw I will... After checking to see if it is useful. Otherwise, I will continue to stand by the window with my sword ready. Are there other windows in the room? Or a way to get down?

Chained Birds
2011-03-08, 01:27 PM
OOC: If there is anything else to throw I will... After checking to see if it is useful. Otherwise, I will continue to stand by the window with my sword ready. Are there other windows in the room? Or a way to get down?

OOC...
Good question, what is the layout of the room? Are there doors we can run through and blockade? Are there other windows for these tentacled abominations to climb in through? Is there a random corpse we can feed to the monsters to distract them?

SpENster
2011-03-11, 12:33 AM
Great ideas, guys!

A criticism was that this was more of an arena game (which was kind of correct), and I went ahead and did a backdrop for it and your creativity is paying off.

Okay, so, I'mma give you some options.

The tentacle thing is coming along with 2 of the head thingies. So, you should prolly hurry. You've got 3 minutes.

Each minute you can do one of two things. A) Roll 1d(Your Strength) to help make a brigade with furniture. A total amount of 12 points will be required to stop it up. You will gain an additional point in rounds where more than one participate.

B) Search for an object; roll a 1d20! On an 18 an average object is found, on a 19 a decently good object is found and on a 20 an awesome object is found.

Also, dead body.
Volt, he will be your dead body, if you choose to sacrifice him in a bit and he isn't out of his coma. Currently he is in a coma.

Also, to mimic the nature of a disaster, I will periodically increase the minute count even if some haven't done anything (this is to not stop just because of possible quitters... these games die if you wait and then its over, ya know? and no offense Volt, if you are here)

This is minute 1.

Chained Birds
2011-03-11, 01:44 AM
Poor volt, hardly knew the guy.

I'll take the 2nd fastest approach and go for boarding up the window. (The fastest being the "throw Volt out the window" approach)

Any more aid would be nice, unless anyone wants to press their luck with a 15% chance of gaining an item.
[roll0]

Edit: hmm, maybe I'll be forced to use option "Volt" if the next rolls turn out like the above.

Volthawk
2011-03-11, 04:50 AM
Still here, just a bit lolwut at the whole thing. Since I didn't know what was here, and apart from that I have a rope and a stick, none of which would help. So yeah.

Chained Birds
2011-03-11, 10:17 AM
Still here, just a bit lolwut at the whole thing. Since I didn't know what was here, and apart from that I have a rope and a stick, none of which would help. So yeah.

So are we allowed to throw you down the tower to save out hides? And if you've got nothing better to do, help me out with whatever strength you've got.

Volthawk
2011-03-11, 11:28 AM
So are we allowed to throw you down the tower to save out hides? And if you've got nothing better to do, help me out with whatever strength you've got.

Hell no. Anyway, now I know what the actual situation is, I would help build up the barricade, but I seem to be in a coma due to confusion.

Chained Birds
2011-03-11, 12:01 PM
Hell no. Anyway, now I know what the actual situation is, I would help build up the barricade, but I seem to be in a coma due to confusion.

Well, I guess you'll be the barricade then. :smallbiggrin:

- But in all seriousness, I really have no clue if we can do anything useful before an imminent battle.

davidlewing
2011-03-14, 12:58 PM
Somehow my e-mail subscription to this thread stopped working... oops.
For the first two minutes I will try to build the barricade:
first minute: [roll0]
second minute:[roll1]
If, by this time the barricade is well enough built I will search for an item. In fact, if by some mathematical miracle we finish it by after the first minute I will search for an item on the second minute and then decide what to do for the third minute.

EDIT: What?! How bad of luck is that?

Volthawk
2011-03-14, 01:01 PM
EDIT: What?! How bad of luck is that?

Eh, 4% chance.

Chained Birds
2011-03-14, 01:13 PM
Teller

"Well this is foolish. There must be something else around here."

2nd minute: after realizing their attempt to barricade is completely useless; Teller searches (blindly)through the room for anything. [roll0]

davidlewing
2011-03-14, 01:21 PM
Yeah... unless Volt is allowed to regain consciousness and roll for the barricade I would like to change my decision for minute two. I definitely had not expected to roll so uselessly on the first round. If not that's fine. If you do allow me to change my decision I would roll to search for an item [roll0]

"I had a feeling using those cushions for a barrier would prove ineffective..."

SpENster
2011-03-16, 11:15 PM
First of all, all of your rolls are just "[roll0]"'s to me.
Second of all... Volt was in a "coma" bcuz he was quiet.
lol

Go ahead and make a new decision and roll it so I can see it please.

davidlewing
2011-03-17, 06:54 AM
Strange. They looked right before...
Okay, for the first round I will try to build the barricade: 1d5
umm... let me go test the roller thing... ill be back in a bit
Never mind... apparently the dice roller has been disabled due to site renovations. hmm... You want to roll it on a different site and post the results?

Second of all... Volt was in a "coma" bcuz he was quiet.
Sooo... does that mean he is out of the coma?

SpENster
2011-03-17, 08:28 PM
yes, lol, that means he is out of the coma.... it was a bad joke.

Game suspended for a couple of days, I suppose. It's spring break anyhow, here.

SpENster
2011-03-22, 12:10 PM
So, does everyone want to try rolling now and fixing their stuff?

Volthawk
2011-03-22, 12:13 PM
Dave shakes himself for a second, before looking around for something to help them.

[roll0]

Chained Birds
2011-03-22, 12:34 PM
With 1 last minute remaining, I'll do 1 last search [roll0]

davidlewing
2011-03-22, 12:34 PM
What minute are we at? [roll0] for the barrier unless we are on the last minute.

Chained Birds
2011-03-22, 12:44 PM
What minute are we at? [roll0] for the barrier unless we are on the last minute.

Wow, we suck...

davidlewing
2011-03-22, 01:59 PM
Got to get rid of this bad luck!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Or maybe none of my rolls will work...

Volthawk
2011-03-22, 02:01 PM
Got to get rid of this bad luck!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Or maybe none of my rolls will work...

Don't preview before posting.

SpENster
2011-03-23, 12:03 AM
One would think that it is I that is to inform you of what is going on.... but I am thoroughly confused.

Rolls are dying at every corner... bad luck prevails.

So... for all thats going on with the forum and the stuffz I'm going to give you an offer.

I'll let you guys decide on one of the following:
1) 10% at making a barricade.
2) 35% at finding something thats worthwhile.

the whole party gets only one choice

when you've decided amongst yourselves one of you can go ahead and roll for your choice. 1d100 and at % or lower is a success.

I figure its the least I can do for you guys still paying attention to this game despite all the setbacks.

davidlewing
2011-03-23, 05:54 AM
I think I will vote to searching for something useful. Making the barricade probably won't matter for long and getting item would. Plus I am beginning to think the only stuff in this room are soft, downy blankets and they don't make good barricades.

Don't preview before posting.
Ah... ok, thanks.

Chained Birds
2011-03-23, 07:20 AM
I think I will vote to searching for something useful. Making the barricade probably won't matter for long and getting item would. Plus I am beginning to think the only stuff in this room are soft, downy blankets and they don't make good barricades.

I agree with this, based on how baddly we've been doing creating a barricade.

Volthawk
2011-03-23, 09:07 AM

Ah... ok, thanks.

I agree. Also, is there just the one window in the room (the one the creatures are coming up to)?

davidlewing
2011-03-23, 10:35 PM
So... Do we roll now? Or do we wait for Spenster to respond?

Chained Birds
2011-03-23, 10:38 PM
I'll do my (I guess) final roll for great justice!

Search check: [roll0]

...even before I see the results, I know nothing good will come out of shouting "For Great Justice!"

Edit: Actually, probably one of the best rolls we've ever gotten.

davidlewing
2011-03-23, 10:42 PM
One would think that it is I that is to inform you of what is going on.... but I am thoroughly confused.

Rolls are dying at every corner... bad luck prevails.

So... for all thats going on with the forum and the stuffz I'm going to give you an offer.

I'll let you guys decide on one of the following:
1) 10% at making a barricade.
2) 35% at finding something thats worthwhile.

the whole party gets only one choice

when you've decided amongst yourselves one of you can go ahead and roll for your choice. 1d100 and at % or lower is a success.

I figure its the least I can do for you guys still paying attention to this game despite all the setbacks.

umm... I think you were supposed to roll a 100. lol

Chained Birds
2011-03-23, 11:17 PM
Okay, if I need a 1d100,

then here's the [roll0]

SpENster
2011-03-27, 11:15 PM
all of you scramble to find something useful... to no avail

Though, booby prize, the soldier finds another one of those confusing book things that -might come in handy later- and decides not to chuck it.

The tentacle smashes through the floor below you, causing you to all fall! At least one of you sees the two creatures coming in after the tentacle, as well, attempting to avenge their fallen (but perhaps not dead) comrade. Luckily they have not hurt you yet.

Add your Dex to a 1d20 and if you get 15 or higher you avoid losing a point of your highest of strength or con (if both are equal, lose a strength point).

good luck!!

Chained Birds
2011-03-28, 05:46 AM
[roll0]

"I didn't see this coming!"

davidlewing
2011-03-28, 08:29 AM
[roll0]

"This could end badly..."

Volthawk
2011-03-28, 10:40 AM
[roll0]

"Oh really? You don't say."

SpENster
2011-04-07, 11:08 AM
Well, Volt, you're in luck. The world disappears beneath your feet before you get crunched on the ground.

Guys, and gals, I'm quitting the game. In the other half I realized the battle-system was going to be a bit cumbersome to do here. Thanks for sticking with it!

Chained Birds
2011-04-07, 11:16 AM
Too bad; it was entertaining while it lasted. :smallbiggrin: I'm game if you ever want to try this out again, but til then, later.

davidlewing
2011-04-07, 12:17 PM
Darn, it was just starting to get good. Though looking at the other thread now, I can see what you mean.
If anyone else comes in here, could you advise me on a simple (ish) game type to play? I don't know if I could just jump right into a full blown d&d game right now. But if that is all I can get, what do I need to know before I try to join one?