PDA

View Full Version : How to made Discworld D 20?

Patitas
2011-02-26, 10:14 PM
Hi, im new here, and im trying to change the rolegame Discworld to D20. I have the original rulebook, but i dont understand the gurps system, and im trying to know if is posible to change it to a D20 mode. Someone can help me?
Thanks

Yukitsu
2011-02-26, 10:25 PM
First rule I'd invoke, is "one in a million" where if you can only succeed on a max roll, you automatically succeed.

Magic is semi vancian. You prepare your spells as normal, up to a certain amount, but instead of spells per level, it's prepared spells based on your MP pool. A few simple tricks can be cast spontaneously, and once you free up your MP pool, you can prepare new spells.

Lots of belief based abilities.

An actual rule stating you can't complain if you commit suicide in Ank Morpork.

bokodasu
2011-02-26, 10:49 PM
You could, but honestly I'd go with something like FUDGE. I think Discworld lends itself much more to the freeform side of things than to a rules-heavy d20. How many combats have you read in a Terry Pratchett novel?

DragonSinged
2011-02-27, 03:04 AM
You could, but honestly I'd go with something like FUDGE. I think Discworld lends itself much more to the freeform side of things than to a rules-heavy d20. How many combats have you read in a Terry Pratchett novel?

Depends. If it's a part of the Guards series, there are actually quite a few. The wizards sort of have them, too, but... they're wizards. They just handle them differently. Erm, except for Rincewind, that's why he's got that half-brick. (Dead men's pointy shoes!)

Eldan
2011-02-27, 12:51 PM
There's a lot of combat in pretty much every book, if you interpret it loosely enough. Tiffany defeats a few monsters. Sam Vimes kills Werewolves and fights murderers atop rooftops. In the Rincewind books, especially when the Grey Horde is around, there's lots of Sword & Sorcery style fighting.

I homebrewed an Igor race somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-27, 01:01 PM
Yeah, there's plenty of combat in Discworld novels.

Often it's not quite graphically focused on, but it's still there. And then there are the other aspects of a roleplaying game that isn't combat.

I think there's some kind of a Discworld setting already made, I think with GURPS. No idea if it's any good though.

I'd say it could work pretty well, if you pull off the general absurdity and humour and all the complex interactions between groups. I'd think that if a campaign was happening in some big city like Anhk-Morpork, you couldn't simply get away with easy generic "kill X" quests - there would have to be a lot of interaction between like a dozen factions. Various guilds, the guards, a few cults thrown in, gangs, etc.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-27, 01:18 PM
I think there's some kind of a Discworld setting already made, I think with GURPS. No idea if it's any good though.

It's GURPS, and it's a recommended read even if you don't actually play GURPS. Much of the material is easily adaptable to other systems, and it does give suggestions on how to deal with e.g. narrative causality, or having a Small God as a player character.

ffone
2011-02-27, 07:33 PM
Semi OT, but Sam Vimes (at some of the better, less drunk stages of his life) is IMO an unusually good example of a (likeable) Lawful Good character. Not just b/c he's a lawman but IIRC has has some occasional good lines / reflections about how he shouldn't do X b/c once the law starts doing X, it'll snowball.

Patitas
2011-02-27, 10:54 PM
thanks to the answers. Im trying to play with Gurps, but i dont understand some kind of rules,... i know D10 and D20 so i thought to change the game to the system i know :3. Im thying to do my best, but i think i need to read the rules more tham 10 times to understand all rules. One question more : all Gurps rules are D6? in the rulebook say you need to roll 3 dice to know if your character do a action or fail, but if your character have a skill over 18 its mean he never fail?
Thanks and sorry to ask too much:smallfrown:

Benejeseret
2011-02-27, 11:09 PM
I've DM'ed a detective-based game in Discworld all using Eberron-type rules.

The only real changes I made were a troll race ( I combined parts of Goliath with parts of Mineral Warrior template for a +1 template)

I found that the players were completely into the game and helped keep the world feel and theme with minimal vetoing or regulating. I told everyone to prepare for a who-done-it style murder mystery within a theme of the Watch and so no one played a magic user and so I found no issues.

Amphetryon
2011-02-27, 11:13 PM
Semi OT, but Sam Vimes (at some of the better, less drunk stages of his life) is IMO an unusually good example of a (likeable) Lawful Good character. Not just b/c he's a lawman but IIRC has has some occasional good lines / reflections about how he shouldn't do X b/c once the law starts doing X, it'll snowball.

Vimes' LG alignment is an oft-debated topic on D&D forums, actually. He flies into the Discworld equivalent of a Barbarian Rage every book that I can think of ("THIS IS NOT MY COW!"), which means a) he's not LG in the D&D sense b) he's got a PrC exemption to the alignment issue or c) you need to refluff Vimes' trademark flying off the handle as something other than Rage.

CheshireCatAW
2011-02-28, 02:09 AM
c) you need to refluff Vimes' trademark flying off the handle as something other than Rage.

A vocal reinforcement of "Smite Evil"?

Arbane
2011-02-28, 03:18 AM
One question more : all Gurps rules are D6? in the rulebook say you need to roll 3 dice to know if your character do a action or fail, but if your character have a skill over 18 its mean he never fail?
Thanks and sorry to ask too much:smallfrown:

As far as I know, GURPS only uses six-siders, right.

If your skill's 18 or higher, you still fail on a 17 and fumble on an 18. The big advantage to having skills over 16 is that it lets you succeed (barring bad dice luck) even with penalties on your roll. (Need to shoot that guy in the eye from halfway across the battlefield? -12 on the roll.)

Eldan
2011-02-28, 05:30 AM
On the issue of wizard: Discworld has a template called eight son of an eight son which gives wizard-appropriate boni and makes wizard your favoured class.

Also, all wizards have permanent Arcane Sight.

Shademan
2011-02-28, 06:07 AM
Vimes' LG alignment is an oft-debated topic on D&D forums, actually. He flies into the Discworld equivalent of a Barbarian Rage every book that I can think of ("THIS IS NOT MY COW!"), which means a) he's not LG in the D&D sense b) he's got a PrC exemption to the alignment issue or c) you need to refluff Vimes' trademark flying off the handle as something other than Rage.

you cant judge his alignment based on D&D classes. Unless you try to make him in a non-discworld game.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-28, 06:27 AM
On the issue of wizard: Discworld has a template called eight son of an eight son which gives wizard-appropriate boni and makes wizard your favoured class.
Makes sourcerer your favoured class. FTFY.

Eldan
2011-02-28, 06:28 AM
Gah. I fail.

I meant "Eight Son" is that template.

"Eight Son of an Eight Son" should have a pretty high level adjustment, seeing as it basically gives you the power of a sorcerer of probably epic level in D&D, including an improved version of Genesis.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-28, 11:50 AM

A ton. Men at Arms, for instance, is about a unit of soldiers. It has ridiculous amounts of combat.

That said, not everything should always be approached with combat. Plenty of powerful stuff in that world. If you all understand the world according to the novels, you should be fine. If this is not the case, and some people come in expecting a stock D&Dish world, they'll be very confused.

Sorcerers work somewhat different in Discworld as well.

Patitas
2011-02-28, 04:06 PM
Thanks to solved my question Arbane. Now i understand more about that sistem :smallwink: (i was lost).
And thanks all yours to the answers, im learning alot with this post :smallbiggrin:.