PDA

View Full Version : Buying a lappie

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-02-26, 10:21 PM
Alright, it's time for me to get a laptop and I'm not much of a techie. Would like some pointers if you'd be so kind.

Must
- Be under $500. Preferably no more than $400.
- Be a good traveler. Long-lasting battery, doesn't shatter like an egg, etc.
- Great keyboard. I hate how many laptop keyboards act. I plan on writing a lot on it.
- A lot of space.

Prefer
- Possibility of satellite internet connection.

So basically I need a sturdy internet/research laptop that I can write reports on without wanting to kill myself and can hold plenty of large photos.

Any suggestions?

Moff Chumley
2011-02-26, 10:25 PM
In that range, it'll probably be hard to find a good keyboard, but I'm no expert. If speed isn't a big deal, buying a used, older computer is probably a good idea.

Icewalker
2011-02-26, 10:28 PM
Any size question? You can get a awesome netbooks in that range. I got one a couple years ago for $300 which has I think 160 gb hard drive, and just operates perfectly fine. Keyboard is fine for me, some people seem bothered when they look at it, but it's the size of a normal keyboard, lengthwise.

Or was it 320 gb. I forget.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-02-26, 10:29 PM
This. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220773R&cm_re=asus_ul20-_-34-220-773R-_-Product) Asus UL20. Open box, unfortunately. If you extend your price range to around $700, you can check out the improved model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220950&cm_re=asus_ul20-_-34-220-950-_-Product), which is significantly faster and has about 50% more battery life.

Other than my first link, you're either looking at spending $600-700+, buying a netbook (all of which have pretty bad keyboards) or buying a full size laptop which is going to weigh at least 5 pounds. And as for netbooks, I'm writing from one right now, and yes, their keyboards are significantly worse than full-size ones. You can type no problem, just it won't be super comfortable.

Icewalker
2011-02-26, 10:33 PM
I disagree. Some netbooks have fine keyboards. I have nooo trouble typing from mine. Which has the same design as this: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/mini-notebook/NB300/NB305-N600

Don Julio Anejo
2011-02-26, 10:39 PM
Keyboards are pretty individual, but one look at your link and it seems your keyboard is almost exactly the same as mine (Asus 1000HE, 10.1", pic spoilered below). Which means I will more likely than not find your keyboard at least somewhat uncomfortable.

But obviously, the best advice would be for the OP to walk into a store and play around with netbooks. Or better yet, borrow one from a friend for a few days to see how the keyboard feels.

My lappy:
http://www.netbookreviews.net/wp-content/uploads/asus_1000he.jpg

Moff Chumley
2011-02-26, 11:30 PM
Naw, don't care about speed, but I don't trust anything used. Not had much luck with used products to date :smallannoyed:

Not to mention I'd like to get some kind of warranty dealio.

I don't blame you; you gotta be careful when buying computers used. I used to refuse to buy anything used, but it's just so... much... cheaper... ._.

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-02-27, 12:49 AM
I don't blame you; you gotta be careful when buying computers used. I used to refuse to buy anything used, but it's just so... much... cheaper... ._.
There is that...

A Lenovo T410 is what I see a lot of folk raving about keyboard wise and a few other functions. Normall $900+, but have found a few online that were merely used as display models for $300. Warranty and everything. Think that may be a good investment.

Castaras
2011-02-27, 08:36 AM
If your hands are small and dainty (like mine) then you'll probably be fine getting a $300-$400 netbook. The keyboards can take some getting used to, but there are a good number of netbooks with good enough keyboards to use for typing consistently.

Obrysii
2011-02-27, 08:39 AM
I have had a lot of luck with Toshiba laptops. You can get inexpensive, though modestly powerful, with large storage capacity, at many retailers.

But your list of requirements are going to go unfufilled at that price-point.

You just can't have a good keyboard, a durable system, satellite communications, highly portable, and good battery life for that price.

You'll get two of the four - take your pick.

Portability and good battery life? A netbook - preferably one with XP on it, or upgrade to 7 Home.

A good keyboard? Honestly? Buy a separate one and bring it with. Never seen a laptop, sans a titanic Alienware, with a good keyboard.

Castaras
2011-02-27, 10:07 AM
Portability and good battery life? A netbook - preferably one with XP on it, or upgrade to 7 Home.

Having played around with windows 7 on a netbook - it's not worth it. Get Ubuntu Netbook on there instead. Windows 7 is a bloated OS that doesn't run very well on the RAM that a netbook has.

Obrysii
2011-02-27, 12:47 PM
Having played around with windows 7 on a netbook - it's not worth it. Get Ubuntu Netbook on there instead. Windows 7 is a bloated OS that doesn't run very well on the RAM that a netbook has.

And Windows 7 Starter is even worse - you can't even change the background.

Has Ubuntu managed to get wifi drivers that work consistently? That would be the only hurdle I'd have with installing it on a laptop.

Elder Tsofu
2011-02-27, 01:55 PM
Wrote my master thesis on my netbook, and I've yet to complain about the keyboard. I actually find it better than most regular keyboards I've tried.

But as you say you hate most laptop keyboards I recommend that you try it before buying, whatever size you in the end decide on.
(I for one utterly despise the non-tilted keys on the newer netbooks I've seen)

Dubious Pie
2011-02-27, 11:32 PM
Get a Thinkpad X120e. Cheapo, but great keyboard.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-02-27, 11:44 PM
Thinkpads are nice. I'm absolutely in love with my dad's shiny T510. The only problem is that they're ugly and either expensive or big and clunky. Great everything though.

Obrysii
2011-02-28, 01:03 PM
Thinkpads tend to have really high build-quality and can survive just about anything you throw at them.

But they are ugly - they're business-class for a reason.

grimbold
2011-03-01, 11:18 AM
Thinkpads tend to have really high build-quality and can survive just about anything you throw at them.

But they are ugly - they're business-class for a reason.

agreed
they are pretty powerful though

John Cribati
2011-03-01, 06:06 PM
I got my Acer Extensa Laptop for Less than $600. It's 15" across, 160 Gig of Ram... but lacks suitable battery life. An hour and a half, Max.