PDA

View Full Version : Non-Combat Elves

Milo v3
2011-02-26, 10:41 PM
In my campaign I don't want elves to have weapon proficiency as a racial ability.
What would be something I could swap the Weapon Proficiency for? It must be balanced, though. I don't have any ideas.

hivedragon
2011-02-26, 10:48 PM
in 4e they got fey step a daily use short range teleportation.

lightningcat
2011-02-26, 10:57 PM
Elves have always been masters of the forest, so maybe Woodland Stride (as the Druid ability) or something similar.

EDIT: Are you asking for 3.5 or PF, or something else?

Dalek-K
2011-02-26, 11:01 PM
Eladrin (High Elves) get the fey step power

Elves get the re-roll power

However if you are talking 3.5 (which I'm assuming from the wording of the OP) then you could do what I did and give them bonuses to a school of magic (their choice).

Milo v3
2011-02-26, 11:02 PM
Are you asking for 3.5 or PF, or something else?

Sorry about that.:smallredface:

Woodland Stride
What would happen if a Elven Druid got this ability? Their no way I can see it stacking.

Improved Focus in schools of magic
Maybe? But what they specifically get?

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 11:06 PM
What would happen if a Elven Druid got this ability? Their no way I can see it stacking.

Give 'em a +10 bonus to landspeed, maybe? Barbarians get that ability much earlier, so it shouldn't be too unbalanced.

Dalek-K
2011-02-26, 11:07 PM
There is a feat that gives you +1 CL to one school somewhere ... Give it to them for free (i'm checking for it now).

here we go this is what I'm thinking about...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellFocus

It's not CL but DC haha

Xefas
2011-02-26, 11:10 PM
How about one free feat out of those "+2/+2" skill ones that are horribly underpowered that no one likes (Alertness, Self-Sufficient, etc)? It might represent how, with being hundreds of years older than everyone else, they have a tiny advantage in life experience.

Milo v3
2011-02-26, 11:21 PM
Give 'em a +10 bonus to landspeed, maybe? Barbarians get that ability much earlier, so it shouldn't be too unbalanced.

I like that idea. It's pretty even with the feats.

Also I though about Spell Focus. But doesn't really equal proficiency with Longsword, rapier, longbow, and shortbow.

Also I want elves still balanced, so no horrible feat that is basically useless.

Dalek-K
2011-02-26, 11:37 PM
+10 to land speed is a bit.. Weak....

Maybe give them some level 0 spells for each weapon you take from them? 1/day usages.

Make sure they go with the elven feel

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 11:40 PM
+10 to land speed is a bit.. Weak....

Maybe give them some level 0 spells for each weapon you take from them? 1/day usages.

Make sure they go with the elven feel

The 10 ft. bonus isn't for Elves. It's the replacement for the Woodland Stride class feature (which would become a racial feature for elves). Druids are very strong as it is. Changing Woodland Stride to 10 ft. bonus to base speed really wouldn't hurt them.

Milo v3
2011-02-26, 11:45 PM
I'm going to use the Woodland Stride. Thanks. Here's my Elf (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/True_Elf_(3.5e_Race)).

Ashtagon
2011-02-27, 06:55 AM
In my campaign I don't want elves to have weapon proficiency as a racial ability.
What would be something I could swap the Weapon Proficiency for? It must be balanced, though. I don't have any ideas.

You could try giving the elves one of the options from Pathfnder here:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedRaces.html

You could also try improving their vision somehow (longer ranged low-light, darkvision, Spot bonus, etc).