PDA

View Full Version : Further musings of a French gamer... PC Backgrounds.

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-27, 02:50 AM
These are two further gaming related blog posts that I thought people might find interesting. The author, El, is a gamer living in France and one of my YouTube subscribers. His blog can be found here:

http://elromanozo.canalblog.com/

Dura Background, Sed Background :

Today, I'm going to talk about quite a big staple in RPGs : PC Background. If you're a GM, you know how important it is.

First of all, what is a background for ?

Well, it's not just a decorative feature for your character. It's not just put there to be classy, or to add theatricality to it, in spite of what many GMs and player think. These are all "side effects" of a background, for want of a better term.

A background is the character's part, its role... It informs us about what he has done, and what he would do according to his personality, personal history and opinions. The numbers and characteristics on the character sheet are its abilities, its capacities, merely what he can do. A background isn't just "what happened before the story began", although it can be. It's how the character reacts to certain things, and why.

I'd like to tell you right from the start that I have NOTHING against powergaming, min-maxing, creating a background that fits the numbers, or backgrounds that can fit on the back of a stamp. there's nothing wrong with that. How good a back story is, is completely unrelated to how long and complex it is. There's also nothing wrong with justifying one of your character's actions after the fact, or (sometimes) acting out of character : In stressful situations, in real life, you're not always rational and coherent with yourself ! Many situations experienced by adventurers in RPGs are the kind of unusual events that may very well make someone discover something new about his personality...

I would like to add that I am not condemning anyone for taking the "role" aspect of the game seriously (too seriously, for some) and put their characters through complex internal dilemmas, ban all "out of character" reaction, view each game as a "collaborative tale" or part of some austere saga... To each his own !

Whatever your game is, whether you play a psycho monster hunter or a subtle nuanced character, every character has a background. Every player sees his character a certain way, consciously or not, and has a certain list of things that his character has done, that he would do, and that he wouldn't do, or ideas about how the character would react. "Background" is just knowing the how and why.

Most people think that a background is just a "secret origins" story, whether your character is a super-hero or not... It can be, but it's not always the case. a background needs to be a part, a role, not the whole play !

What to do, then ? What's useful, as a background, for a PC in an RPG ?

First I'd like to talk about what NOT to do.

Most players have a very narrow, very definitive approach to background.

Many players see it as a useless chore (a concept which is to be avoided at all cost, because this is a game and it has nothing to do with chores), so they gather up some half-assed story they think will justify the numbers on their character sheet. Other players love backgrounds, and write them out extensively in whole chapters with introduction, development, climax, and epilogue where the hero leaves towards the sun setting on the horizon...

In the first case, the character has no discernable personality, no background element that's not a cliché or that can be exploited by the GM to make good stories. In the second case, the character-novel is so tight, so complete, that it's a work in and of itself, completely separate from any scenario or game world... Trying to exploit it for a scenario would be like trying to write a sequel to Moby **** !

The first character is a cardboard silhouette hiding a machine that would more aptly fit a video game, the second character is a castle in wonderland, and interesting yet abstract construct, a SimCity town, a complex creature that only belongs to the player and his world... I exaggerate, of course.

Almost no player knows how to write a background. I confess I had no idea until I recently analyzed exactly what it was about good backgrounds that I liked and bad backgrounds that I couldn't stand... It's counter-intuitive, for many people. It seems that, for many GMs, any background at all is sacred, respectable... It seems that most GMs think that quantity is as good as quality when it comes to backgrounds... In spite of the fact that there's nothing but gas in the fifteen pages or so that some players insist the GM read about their characters.

Speaking from experience, I know I cannot STAND long-winded, ill-written prose (or worse, poetry) that accompany the numbers on a character sheet. I like when a character is well conceived, but that's a rare find, even in books. As a GM, I have NO INTEREST in, say, what your character had for breakfast just prior to be turned into a vampire, or idiotic details such as "my character doesn't like cheese, except maybe cheddar and gouda"...

What I'd like to know about a character (and it took me some time to figure it out) are key elements.

Internal conflicts, motivations, unresolved issues, interesting people he has met, things that make him react, things and people he hates, things and people he loves... It can be many things, or just a few. Does he protect orphans because he was one himself ? Has he got a personal grudge with some evil guy ? He hasn't spoken with his brother since they argued eight years ago ? He loves his wife ? There's the stuff one needs to make interesting stories that involve characters on a personal level rather than just the "quest of the week".

Any other information can be interesting, but is often unnecessary. A background isn't homework, you don't have to write pages and pages. As a matter of fact you probably don't have to write anything at all, unless you think you won't remember the details : you just have to talk about it with your GM.

I know that if, as a GM, I have to try and find little seeds of relevant information over thirty-six long paragraphs written by someone who only thinks he's a great writer, I'm going to miss a lot. DOn't bury everything under fluff. Don't do "diaries". Don't do goth poetry or elvish "lord of the rings/tom bombadil" style crap. Think key elements, key elements, key elements.

And you don't even have to do much to have a compelling character...

What do we know about Han Solo's back story ? Zilch. Nothing. And we don't care, we love him anyway.

What exactly are the key elements I'm looking for in a background ? There they are :

– ONE SINGLE concept

– Important events

– Motivations

– Intents

– Relationships

– Description

The Concept is the very nature of the character. It's a small catch-phrase that sums up what you're playing. For example : "Bitter ex-cop", "druid with a weak heart", "greedy sorcerer", "stern yet virtuous knight"... Nothing fancy, just the facts ma'am. Your character needs only one. Don't try and sneak more than one in. Two is too much.

It can even be enough of a background to play a great game, in and of itself. One of the reasons a player should always think about his character that way, is that because it forces him to sum up his character in one short sentence... It puts him face to face with whatever traits are major and important to this character, what he will play the most at the gaming table.

For the GM, a concept is an indication of who the character is, how he reacts, and how well this character will work with other PCs : Its function in the group and its major trait.

The important events come next, because they help ascertain the character's motivations. This is the "back story" part that's often inflated out of proportions. This isn't about writing a chronicle of the character's life... What good is it ? No, it's all about key elements, as usual. Just tell us about the events that truly changed your character's life. One doesn't need much : great heroes don't have much in that respect.

Take Batman, for example... The murder of his parents changed his life and gave him his motivations. There has been many a re-telling of that story by different authors, and details vary, but it's always the same short, brutal event. There's only one other short and brutal event in Batman's life, it's the bat incident. It's a good example : write it short, write one, two, maybe three major events. Details do not matter, only the way it has affected the life of your character.

Motivations are connected to everything else. Most motivations come to mind when one reads the important events. They're the key to a great background, because they help the GM know where the character will go if pushed in a certain way. For example, if your motivation is greed, then you're expected to accept paid jobs.

Motivations can be as vague or as precise as the player wants them to be... "Believes in justice for all" works just as well as "is looking for his sister's murderer". The important thing is it gives the GM, instantly, ideas about the type of story the player wants to have his character experience.

Another key element connected to the previous one is the Intent (or Intents) of the character. It informs the GM about what the character plans on doing, and what the player is planning for his own character... As well as what the player doesn't want his character to do, or to become. No man is fixed in time, a good character evolves, so it's a good thing for everyone to know what the player has planned in the beginning.

Does the character have a career planned ? The GM could choose to thwart it, or to offer opportunities to pursue it, or create a choice between career and love, for example. Does he hesitate to kill when not in self-defense ? Then the GM should not try to make the PCs part of an assassination plot... Are there certain things or people the charcter respects and wouldn't harm ? People that he cares little about ?... etc.

This allows the GM to create dilemmas for PCs, and also to avoid the all too common player rant : "My character would never do that, I refuse to work for X, I won't kill Y, I won't help Z..."

Relationships are also very important. I've seen too many players who had no idea what they were doing, make their characters some kind of an island... I've seem too many characters with no past no family, no friends outside of the adventuring group; a group they hadn't even met before the story began !

The "lone wolf" is a classic all too common archetype because it looks cool, and it seems convenient to those who don't have any story ideas. I believe it's a lost opportunity : Everyone has a past, everyone has a family, grew up somewhere, may even have had pets or servants, colleagues, friends, lovers...

From a GM perspective, helping a friend, working for a former lover, being betrayed, that's always a good story.

Last but not least, the Description is essential to the character. Of course it's important to know what the character looks like (portraits and miniatures are always a plus), were it only for flavor... But that's not where it ends, that's just where the description begins. What is really interesting is how the character sees himself, and how others see him.

It's all about the way the character acts, his behavior, his habits... Not necessarily his tics or his language, of his tastes in food (irrelevant most of the time, I've already told you that). Just list the important details. Again, you don't need to do much, just enough to help you play the character and make it distinctive for other players and for the GM.

It will help you get in character, and it will help the GM in how the NPCs interact with your PC. Ultimately, it's what helps the character to fit in the campaign world.

There you have it...

Ideally, every good background covers those six points. They can be more or less developed. It can take a few pages, or it can take... six sentences ! Your choice.

It has to be consistent, and the player and the GM have to discuss it before play.

One last thing : If one or more of those points aren't very detailed, or aren't even there, it can be interesting as well... As long as player and GM know about it and plan on acting it out. It can be extremely gratifying to discover things about your character mid-game, and making stuff up (reasonably) as you play ! I have a player with such a background, with no important events to speak of : He makes some stuff up, but he doesn't abuse that privilege, and I use that somewhat "blank" background to introduce some story elements of my own... And we all have fun at that table.

Sometimes, the really good ideas only come up at the gaming table. Sometimes, a background that seems really great on paper will be only "meh" or downright unplayable at the gaming table.

Everyone can churn out miles and miles of fluff... Is it interesting in the end ? It can be. But not if you're using it to play another Drizzt clone or implement some high-school bogus internal drama...

Then again, to each his own.

Luke Skywalker and the Dirty Dozen, or How to make do with a cliché Conan Character :

At the gaming table, when you ask your players to come up with a background for their PCs, there's always one of them (all of them if you're unlucky enough) who can only come up with the Conan story... Not necessarily for a barbarian character, but teh general idea behing the Conan back story. You know... "All my village/family/friends/loved ones/tutors/parents is/are dead, now I'm all alone and out for revenge ".

This clause, "X killed Y, Y was important to me, so X is my enemy", is the perfect background excuse to create a character without any link to anyone, without any relationships, a "lone wolf" (I believe I mentioned it in a previous article), often somewhat "dark", borderline psychotic, marked by destiny, obsessed by either his goal or his nemesis, like many a Solomon Kane, Conan, Batman and Inigo Montoya out there.

The character seldom attempts anything to actively pursue revenge, even though he will take action if confronted with his nemesis... Basically, it's just an excuse to play a certain type of character.

It's a very restraining type of background, if played out properly... But players seem to like it because of the "Me against the GM" mentality that's rampant at gaming tables everywhere. For many a player, sadly, this "traumatized" character background is an excuse to play someone who can be merciless, dark, almost inhuman, without any of the complications linked with duties, responsibilities, financial obligations, or human contacts... No family or friends that can be held hostage, no one you have to help if it's not in your personal interest... Some people use this as a pretext to ruin stories, insult or kill important NPCs, because their character is "full of rage"... There's no depth, no events that haven't been neatly tied up and could be exploited for stories, and no relationships to speak of because every person he ever met, up to and including the baker he bought bread from once when he was twelve, perished in atrocious agony, liquidated by some unknown big-bad. Or worse, in a natural disaster.

For a GM, it's hell. Not because of the background, because of the player behind it.

Of course, not everyone who comes up with this background is like that... They just think it's a cool story that saves time, even though it comes back so very often... It's a legitimate back story, so, as a GM, you have to make do with it as best you can... Even when you feel you're always facing the same character over and over again. You can't reject it, especially if this is a new player, or if he really want to play it that way... You can't ask the player to create a background and then limit their creativity !

What to do ? Well, for starters, don't get discouraged.

Facing a "smooth" background such as this one, a clever GM has the option of looking at it like it's a blank slate... Elaborate on it, start with this simple story and develop a whole saga. Many writers have started out with a hero believing his story was simple, until he discovered new things that changed his life, progressively, as the story unfolded. Here are twelve propositions to give some "umph" to an otherwise lackluster background :

1) The 99.9% solution :

Have you ever tried to raze a village ? Well... Me neither. But History (and a whole lot of tales and stories and myths) tells us that, at best, it's extremely difficult to kill everyone in any place. refer to the story of Moses, or the Sword of Truth, or any other like that... A 100% body count is very hard to reach. There's always someone who was having a stroll in a nearby forest, or who was in another town for business, or some unborn child in the uterus of some unmarried girl, a cousin in the next village, a disowned parent gone adventuring, a sister who changed her name by marrying in another village, an uncle you thought had died but was just gone, a sailor who was out at sea... Anything.

It's a convenient solution, and it's been used many times. Too convenient, you think ? Why, not at all. The character himself survived, didn't he ? That's proof enough.

Think of Superman, who keeps discovering people from Krypton over the years (his cousin, his dog, some bad guys, the whole city of Kandor...), or think of Luke Skywalker. he starts out as an orphan, and the "big bad" kills his foster family. In the end, he discovers that he has a father, a twin sister, and that they're both central characters to the story !

2) Not what you thought :

This solution is very much appropriate when the background of the character says or implies that all the relevant events happened during the early childhood of said character. It implies that he was perhaps too young to fully understand what went on at the time, that someone told him about what happened (as opposed to being a direct witness), or that he pieced many of the facts together retrospectively...

It could all have been a lie, a fairy tale, or a wrong interpretation of the facts. There's a thousand good reasons for that to happen... Someone could have wanted to protect him from the truth, someone could have wanted to hide his true heritage (royalty, prophecy, demonic ancestry or something like that), hide an even bigger trauma, hide the true nature of the character's family... Or even hide the character from a family that is still alive and looking for him... Worse : One could have wanted to raise the child to fight his own family. Simply saying "your parents were killed in an accident" also prevents many uncomfortable questions such as "why did you abduct me ?"...

Think of the man in the Iron Mask : He thinks he's a simple peasant, put in jail for crimes he didn't commit, when he is in fact twin brother to the king of France... Think of Luke Skywalker, again, and all the lies he's told about his family all through the movies, by his foster parents, by Obi Wan and by Yoda... All for the greater good, it seems (although that's a dubious explanation)...

3) A preferred haunt :

Your problem player has consciously decoded to eradicate every person he's ever known in his background ? Fine ! Make them come back anyway ! the very classic recurring dreams about loved ones is useful, but limited. Maybe you could stage the ghost of a parent, a lover, or someone relevant, as a recurring NPC... The character could even be "haunted" by several spirits, each one being good, evil, or just obsessed with the rest his own soul deserves. There's no avoiding the character's responsibility, then : He has to avenge the restless dead, otherwise they're just going to pester him for the rest of his life... Perhaps afterwards as well.

These spirits are immortal, of course, which prevents even the most psychopathic PC from destroying them. If you fancy playing in other genres, you could always replace ghosts with "hallucination from the PC's unconscious mind", "split personality" or "artificial intelligence lodged in the PC's brain/cyber implant".

A good example could also be Hercules and Xena, constantly harassed by gods (serving as family or lovers) appearing everywhere they go... Gods they cannot destroy, of course. There are many variations on that theme, including the one where, without so much as an explanation, Obi Wan suddenly appears as a ghost to Luke Skywalker in Star Wars...

4) Friends of the family :

Unless the character is an animal, he has to have been raised or trained by someone. If the player had his family killed in his background, there has to have been someone else to train him later in life... a mentor, a sergeant, a master, a retainer, an orphanage in which he had a friend, a school, an institution, the army... Anyone, good or bad. And if the character's mentor has died as well and he doesn't know who his parents are, bring the parents back !

If everyone is dead, if the orphanage has burned down, the country no longer exists, and so on, apply the 99.9% solution... Get friends and family of the deceased, it'll be a surprise. For example, Frodo is an orphan in the beginning of the Lord of the Rings... Even if he has friends, he leaves what little family he has back at the Shire. However, he later discovers that he has friends among the elves he didn't even know, through Bilbo !

Oh, and of course, there's always Luke Skywalker... That young man who wanted to become a pilot for the Empire will learn (through a friend of his family he didn't even know he had) that he has a lot of friends among the rebels, and a famous family...

5) Mordenkainen's faithful pup :

When you're really desperate, bring back pets. They can fill in for humans, and only the most callous and evil of PC would think of harming them gratuitously. They can be captured, threatened, they need care... Even if they don't do much in game, they can be the chip in the armor of a PC who otherwise fears human relationships... It's even better if the character has a familiar, steed or animal companion, because then the pet is tied to in-game bonuses...

Even if the class of the character doesn't allow it, you could allow squires, apprentices, pets (especially with the Prestige feat), supernatural companion, or something like that, letting your player think he's receiving a bonus, when in reality it's a plot hook... Remember Peter Pan and Tinkerbell : Peter realizes, against all odds, that he is capable of great deeds to save her.

And of course, life wouldn't be the same without another Luke Skywalker example... Luke hasn't got one, but TWO pet companions ! Two droids that are here mostly for comic relief, but who have to get saved and get the story going unexpectedly.

6) Bad memories :

Maybe the events that led to the demise of the character's family happened a while ago... And there's a good chance the character's background doesn't give many details. Exploit that ! It is conceivable that traumatic events could be distorted in the character's memories, and that some memories could be repressed... Or made up. The character thinks that X killed Y because many things seemed to point in that direction, but is it really the case ? The character remembers teh blood, maybe some silhouette, perhaps a murder weapon in the hand of a loved one... Nothing more. Is that enough to condemn anyone ? I think not !

In that case, much like what I said earlier, the past is a lie... However, here, the facts themselves seem to lie, and their interpretation by the PC himself. X may not have killed Y, Y may not even be dead... Even worse, the Charcater himself may have killed Y, but has somehow repressed this painful memory !

One should consider Wolverine, the X-Man : many people know his past but won't tell him, because it might be painful. And even if Luke Skywalker can't serve as an example here, a wrong interpretation of the facts about his beloved Padme is what plunges his father, Anakin, deep into the Dark Side...

7) Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain :

Let's go one step further in the whole "wrong facts" direction... Maybe someone staged the events to make the character (and perhaps others) believe that they happened a certain way... Maybe Y wasn't killed by X, maybe Y wasn't killed at all... Maybe Y stages his death, and the character didn't suspect a thing ! This Y person could reappear later on as a hostage, or even as the villain in the story, the one who manipulated everyone from behind the scenes...

Too easy ? It's not that predictable, and yet it's been done... How many villains "die" only to reappear in the next episode or the next movie ?

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones sees Marion Ravenwood being struck after having been kidnapped. Later on in the same film, she is very much alive and a hostage to the nazis... Oh, and... Remember Luke Skywalker ? That's right. His foster parents told him his real parents were killed by sand people... What if it was true ? What if Obi-Wan had lied to Luke, seeing that he would make a gifted Jedi anyway, telling him a nice little story about Vader killing his father so he would join the rebellion ? If you consider only the first movie, A New Hope, it's plausible... Later on, we learn that Obi-Wan did tell lies to Luke, but not the ones we thought...

8) Just a flesh wound !

While we're talking about staged deaths... What about coming back from the dead ? Clones ? Or, in fantasy settings, Resurrection through magic ? Reincarnation ? Androids ? demonic possession of the body of the deceased ? Doppelgängers ? Stasis chambers ? Or, even simpler, people who appeared dead, but later woke up, healed by some good Samaritan... Alas too late to reassure our hero that they, in fact, hadn't died... So, what about it ?

They're perfectly good plot devices, if a little genre specific, to revive most parents and friends seemingly lost by the character. Indeed, if the deceased are so important for the character and there is but a small chance to revive them or resurrect them (in D&D, it's perfectly plausible), then why would the character seek revenge and be all that psychotic ? he should endeavor to find enough money for a resurrection, that's all.

That kind of device is used in the movie Blade, where the hero's mother reappears as a vampire besotted with the bad guy near the end of the movie... And if you require a Luke Skywalker example, there is one : Luke starts out dueling Darth Vader because he wants to avenge his parents... However, he learns that Vader Himself is his father. From that point on, his goal is to redeem him. There is another "surprise resurrection" in those movies, when Han Solo is frozen in carbonite, then unfrozen in the next movie...

9) Flashbacks :

A character could find a link to his past through flashbacks or dreams about people he knew but died tragically. These newfound memories resurface although they had been forgotten, and all they're all that remains of the deceased to the PC... Those dreams can shed new light on the present, and the player is bound not to dismiss them lightly, because they're the only thing linking the character to his lost past !

Through a dream or a vision, it may even be possible to have entire conversations with dead people, and to pump them for advice. a bad guy could also use those dreams, eavesdrop magically on them, or manipulate them through technology or enchantments. The bad guy may also own a specific object that the character saw in a dream, a personal item from his past...

Superman has entire conversations with a computer recording of his parents that travelled to earth with him... The voices from Luke Skywalker's past rise through a recording or princess Leïa by R2D2 : Luke realizes that he is linked to this woman, that he may have seen her in dreams... He doesn't know anything else, but when she asks "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi..." He cannot refuse !

10) New evidence, new trial :

A character could find an old link to his past, forgotten or unknown, through new elements supplied by the GM in-game, such as a diary belonging to a long dead friend, or letter written by his parents before they died... Maybe our hero thinks all his family was killed, until he finds an old trunk somewhere, and within it some letters that his mother exchanged with an unknown guy... Is he a lover ? An uncle that no one talked about ? Is he family ? Friend ? A protector he didn't know existed ? A grandfather or a mentor ? Perhaps his real father... Could it be someone alive and well, preserved from the disaster that killed the rest of the family ? Following those leads could constitute a fascinating personal quest, and could link the character directly to anything the GM wants, in spite of his bland background...

I could use the same example about Luke Skywalker and the Leïa recording, because in essence Luke discovers new evidence about his family... Another example is the whole movie and book The Bridges of Madison County, a story in which siblings burying their mother find letters indicating a secret yet steamy romance with some unknown guy that she ended because of her duties as a wife and a mother.

11) The butler did it :

If all members of a family are dead, there may still be a loyal servant, a butler or a valet, who stayed behind to serve and protect the "young master", minding the sole survivor of the family like Bruce Wayne's Alfred Pennyworth. And if he has been killed ? All is not lost... In medieval times, there were whole families of servants indentured by debt of blood to serve certain noble houses ! they take an oath to serve their lord when they become adults. Remember the phrase "My family has served yours for generations, my liege", it certainly was not spoken in vain in the middle ages. As you can see, even if the actual servants died, maybe a cousin or a relative of the servant family the character knew has survived the catastrophe and may yet serve again, be it only as a recurring NPC should the player refuse to be "burdened" with a manservant in his travels. At any rate, to honor the memory of his dead parents, the PC would have to respect the oath taken by the servants and maybe even help them out from time to time, to thank them for their devotion... It's only fair and consistent !

In the movie Dragonslayer, Galen the apprentice inherits his master's powers as well as his manservant... In Dune, Paul Atreides is helped by his retinue, Duncan, Gurney and Thufir, his former teachers and the former advisors to his father... As for Luke Skywalker, he get two droids from his father, and his father's old master, Obi Wan Kenobi, becomes his master as well !

12) All my families are waiting :

If there is no possibility that the character has any family here and now, it may very well be that he has one in the past, or in a parallel universe... I know, I know, it's cheesy, but hear me out... The GM could really have a ball with this ! He could put the character in certain circumstances where he could join loving members of his family in some other reality, or bring them back from his own past, or something like that... The classic dilemma is that he would have to choose between that and the new friends he has made, and all that he has accomplished up until now. This is a tale about letting go of the past... It's always poignant.

There are few examples of this, save in Star Trek (a series that uses parallel universes and time travel dozens of times, and none of them in any plausible manner, but never mind that...), because it doesn't apply to every genre... But it could very well apply to your home game if you're not afraid !

In the second Conan movie, the evil queen herself tries to bribe Conan by showing him she could resurrect his deceased love Valeria... In the end, Conan chooses to save the world, realizing that the queen may have lied anyway.

And what about Luke Skywalker ?

Well... What about him ?

In a parallel universe, he probably would have been less of a brainless sod... That may be why no one asked him anything of the sort. He would have accepted. He's easily manipulated...

Luke Skywalker is the textbook psycho "hero", who hears voices telling him to "use the force", sees ghosts, gets lightsaber-happy, is impulsive, has little to no back story prior to the beginning of the movies, and who is a little too glad about having destroyed a giant space station the size of a moon (twice), thus killing all its staff (millions of people, maybe billions if you take into account the sheer volume of the thing) just to help overthrow a legitimate government !

Be that as it may, I hope this dozen of dirty tricks to play on your unsuspecting players have inspired you, and shown you that a problematic background is an opportunity in disguise... An opportunity to use that blank slate to do exactly what you want, and involve the player(s) exactly the way you choose, mingling the PC's life inextricably with the campaign.

It may not be what he wanted, but I bet you he will like it anyway !

TurtleKing
2011-02-27, 02:54 AM
I'm sorry could you make a synapsis of that post my ADHD is acting up.:smallsmile:

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-27, 02:58 AM
I'm sorry could you make a synapsis of that post my ADHD is acting up.:smallsmile:

There is a whole lot of rather in-depth info about what a PC background is and how to build one that suits your wants and needs. He is far more well spoken than I. :)