PDA

View Full Version : Portable Holes

Qwertystop
2011-02-27, 09:48 AM
Are there any cheaper versions of a Portable Hole? It would need to have an effect like that of a Portable Hole, as opposed to a Bag of Holding; that is, it would create a space inside a large object when applied to that object, and remove that space when removed, without destroying the contents (which would reappear when the hole is placed against another surface).
Also, is there any sort of device that would fit in a hole so that the hole seems shorter than normal, but can be turned to change the contents? I'm pretty much thinking a system of revolving shelves, made so that they fit flush to the sides of the hole. Think WALL-E's storage system, if you've seen the movie.

Kalim
2011-02-27, 10:59 AM
Enveloping Pits are 10'x10'x50', but they're also Relics, so you have to fit into the proper alignment to use them.

As for storage, build shelves inside it, it's fifty feet deep. Just make sure you keep a ladder in there, too.

Qwertystop
2011-02-27, 11:29 AM
Enveloping Pits are 10'x10'x50', but they're also Relics, so you have to fit into the proper alignment to use them.

As for storage, build shelves inside it, it's fifty feet deep. Just make sure you keep a ladder in there, too.

Emphasis was on "cheaper", and I'm pretty sure that an Enveloping Pit would be more expensive than a Portable Hole (10x10x50 instead of 6x6x10). Also, part of the point of the rotating shelves instead of normal shelving is so that the hole could be laid out, and the shelves activated so that only a few things seemed to be in the hole.

EDIT: The character who would be using this has just been denied, so this is now more of a for-future-reference thing.

Kalim
2011-02-27, 11:35 AM
Enveloping Pits, like Gloves of the Master Strategist, are cheaper than their inferior predecessors. It costs less than a Portable Hole, I'm fairly certain. At least the MIC version is.

The downside is that it's a relic, so it's pretty rare, and your DM might want you to raid a dozen Kobold villages to try and find one. You also have to be some sort of Neutral or Evil to make it function.

Asheram
2011-02-27, 01:10 PM
I hear a Portable foxhole, 5000gp. Magic item compendium or Heroes of battle

When placed on a flat surface, a portablefoxhole creates a shallow extradimensional pit 5 feet square and 3 feet deep.
When removed, everything within is dumped in the square the hole occupied.

Zaq
2011-02-27, 01:46 PM
Enveloping Pits, like Gloves of the Master Strategist, are cheaper than their inferior predecessors. It costs less than a Portable Hole, I'm fairly certain. At least the MIC version is.

The downside is that it's a relic, so it's pretty rare, and your DM might want you to raid a dozen Kobold villages to try and find one. You also have to be some sort of Neutral or Evil to make it function.

Specifically, you have to be LE, LN, or NE . . . or able to make a DC 30 UMD check.

Kalim
2011-02-27, 03:45 PM
Specifically, you have to be LE, LN, or NE . . . or able to make a DC 30 UMD check.

I'd forgotten which, since the character I myself had wanted one on qualified, being Lawful Neutral as he is.

I want one for him to put undead inside, hah.