PDA

View Full Version : What are the penalties for smoking Pot?

Sims
2011-02-27, 12:54 PM
I'm thinking -2 to Reflex hahaha! I wanna make my Gestalt Wizard Fighter meet them high.

Eldan
2011-02-27, 12:59 PM
Temporary Intelligence and/or wisdom damage, perhaps also dexterity damage, as you said.
In the long term, constitution and wisdom drain.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-27, 01:04 PM
I'd say, + wisdom, - charisma against non-smokers, - dex.

For long term effects, I dunno, possibly -con for general damage to lungs that one might get by inhaling any kind of really hot smoke often and long enough. Although that might not be the case if they're using various masterwork bongs or something.

So, pretty much no long term effects lasting more then 24 hours.

Last Laugh
2011-02-27, 01:13 PM
I think -2 search/spot should be in there somewhere.

Sims
2011-02-27, 01:15 PM
Do you think a Paladin would attack him on sight? Or even arrest him?

Waker
2011-02-27, 01:16 PM
-4 Concentration check.

Sims
2011-02-27, 01:17 PM
I'd let them take 10 even under pressure.

Vangor
2011-02-27, 01:18 PM
Check the BoVD for rules regarding drug use, might be a worthwhile basis for how to incorporate cannabis or use something more thematic.

No, the paladin would not attack on sight. He would only arrest him if usage was illegal and if the paladin had jurisdiction to do this. Otherwise, he might voice his opinion against doing anything illegal as well as dulling your sense and capacity to function.

Will say, be warned about drug references. In my experience, the people who make them won't stop, and they become terribly annoying.

The_Jackal
2011-02-27, 01:19 PM
Wisdom penalty for being under the influence, dexterity penalty for being really stoned. Long term use will inflict an intelligence penalty (chronic marijuana use interferes with short term memory). If they're smoking it, a constitution penalty for damage to the lungs may also be appropriate.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-27, 01:21 PM
Do you think a Paladin would attack him on sight? Or even arrest him?

A paladin is not a cop. I'd even go this far and say that an average paladin, unless stationed as some kind of a police officer, has no more legal powers then any other person. He's just a passing hero with his own goals and a lot of idealism.

And any kind of drug is not inherently illegal.

So, uh, no.

Plus, there's all that hobbit halfling pipeweed.

Christopher K.
2011-02-27, 01:26 PM
Obvious troll is obvious

Well, I'd say -5 to perception, probably some sort of bonus to will because they're somewhat oblivious.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-27, 01:39 PM
Honestly, I think a drug like pot would be better roleplayed than placed out through actual penalties.

From what I've seen, people smoking pot essentially have time distorted greatly. I imagine this would mean much lesser concentration. Yet, I haven't really seen a high person under that sort of pressure: I imagine it'd change things.

Memory is a big deal too: Essentially not having any. It'd show up in game as a minor concentration penalty, but you would have to roleplay it like you had a concentration modifier well below zero.

What's more, a pot smoking character would be fairly unaware. I have heard a great many cannabis smokers claim that they drive better or play music better high. It's almost never true. It's not so much that you get more artistic but rather than you think you're more artistic or whatever.

Don't try and roleplay the addiction aspect, because addiction to pot isn't really much of a thing. The standard issue is the idea that people who already smoke one thing might start smoking other things. I have no idea if this actually happens, and I'm totally aware that this would be the worst place to discuss it, so go either way depending on what you like.

Realize a wizard would be terrible high. The wizard relies on concentration. A lot. I feel like the best high characters would be wisdom or charisma based. A favored Soul could be using drugs to "connect with his God". A bard is sort of obvious. A sorcerer doesn't care what other people think. That sort of thing.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-27, 01:59 PM
I'd let them take 10 even under pressure.I like this idea, but I say they should have to take 8.

The full effect would probably be something like:
-2 penalty to intelligence and dexterity
-5 to search, spot and concentration
Has to take 8 instead of 10 on tasks, but can do so even when under pressure
Fluff

Note that you can get paranoid... which plays directly into a paranoid wizard.

Tengu_temp
2011-02-27, 02:10 PM
I'd say, + wisdom, - charisma against non-smokers, - dex.

Sounds really useful for druids. Which actually makes a lot of sense.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-27, 02:48 PM
I'd say -X to wisdom (and dexterity for the hardcore ones), but +4 on saves vs fear :smallsmile:

Long-term: Con drain, Wis drain and -2 on saves to avoid fatigue or exhaustion. Also: the time they can hold their breath is halved.

ChakraChanter
2011-02-27, 03:31 PM
Man, you guys got it all wrong. Cannabis improves the users ability to notice detail, and focus in on things with more clarity and inhibits philisophical thinking. You become slowed physically, but not mentally.

+2 to Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Reflex saves, -2 Fortitude saves, -4 concentration checks unless you take a fullround action to focus on what the specific task on hand is.

Eldan
2011-02-27, 03:36 PM
Have you ever tried to talk to a stoner when he was really high and you were really sober?

They don't get smarter in any way.

Gnaeus
2011-02-27, 03:37 PM
Long term effects should probably be 0. It has less long term effects than liquor or tobacco, and I have never heard of a DM giving out liver damage or lung cancer because a dwarf or a barbarian never passes a bar without taking a drink, or because a wizard smokes a pipe.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-27, 03:41 PM
It doesn't really matter, since a lot of the suggestions have been good already, but I'd just like to say from my own experience of being around people who were presently under the effects of it, that it should definitely give a wisdom penalty, and possibly intelligence as well.

I have no idea what goes on in their mind, but it certainly seems to hamper their judgment and deductive abilities, if nothing else.

BobTheDog
2011-02-27, 03:44 PM
Penalties for smoking pot? Depends on which country you're in. :smallbiggrin:

ChakraChanter
2011-02-27, 03:47 PM
Have you ever tried to talk to a stoner when he was really high and you were really sober?

They don't get smarter in any way.

Maybe the ones that are intially stupid:smallamused:

Eldan
2011-02-27, 03:49 PM
PhD students? Doubt it. I mean, sure they are weird when they aren't high, but while high... they don't make any sense, really.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-27, 04:41 PM
It makes you lose my respect. :smallamused:

goken04
2011-02-27, 04:51 PM
The BoVD has this. They call it Devilweed, but it's very clearly meant to be cannabis. And as others have said, it's all in how you roleplay it. I had a drug-lord who smoked the stuff all the time and the players severely underestimated him because of how laid-back he always appeared under the influence.

Pentachoron
2011-02-27, 04:53 PM
You should have to make a will save to avoid having to spend the next 4 hours rambling about how they should legalize the stuff.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-27, 04:54 PM
Man, you guys got it all wrong. Cannabis improves the users ability to notice detail, and focus in on things with more clarity and inhibits philisophical thinking. You become slowed physically, but not mentally.

+2 to Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Reflex saves, -2 Fortitude saves, -4 concentration checks unless you take a fullround action to focus on what the specific task on hand is.

Being able to notice details isn't the same as being able to actually use that focus. Maybe it's the exception with people I know, but every time I've been near a high person they've been completely incapable of paying any attention to anything. It's mostly freaking out about dumb things. And focus? Maybe, but the memory of that focusing is going to be completely lost.

You're slowed physically, but there are huge mental lapses of time, too. To be honest, a great many people I've seen high will later claim that they were really cool when high, or smarter or whatever. It's never been the case with me. But maybe I'm just totally wrong and the people I know are exceptions.

Woot Spitum
2011-02-27, 04:55 PM
The same effects as Tasha's hideous Laughter, followed by hunger.:smallamused:

averagejoe
2011-02-27, 05:18 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Please note that illegal drugs are an inappropriate topic on these boards.