PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mech RPG recommendation

DontEatRawHagis
2011-02-27, 01:07 PM
I'm currently have played D&D(4e mainly with a bit of 3.5), Deep7 system based RPG, Spycraft 2.0, and Paranoia XP. I am looking for a nice Mecha based RPG to get a friend interested in bringing his Dice out from his closet. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw the Mechwarrior RPG but from what I hear even the 3rd edition is still bad.

Tengu_temp
2011-02-27, 01:15 PM
Mutants and Masterminds 2e with the Mecha and Manga splatbook. It's an open system so newbies might feel lost in it, but it's the best game for mecha I'm familiar with.

mabriss lethe
2011-02-27, 01:20 PM
Cthulhutech: Big F'ing robots vs. Eldritch horrors! What's not to love? (And the system is pretty neat too.)

DontEatRawHagis
2011-02-27, 01:39 PM
My friend is really into customizing his mech, adding laser cannons and taking away armor to make it faster. Stuff like that. Any of these bring the realism he is looking for?

9mm
2011-02-27, 01:45 PM
My friend is really into customizing his mech, adding laser cannons and taking away armor to make it faster. Stuff like that. Any of these bring the realism he is looking for?

Battletech sounds perfect. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185900)

mabriss lethe
2011-02-27, 01:50 PM
Maybe you should look into Mekton. (assuming you can find it in print) I've never played it, but one of its selling points is that you can build pretty much anything with its mech creation system

Tengu_temp
2011-02-27, 01:53 PM
I'd advise against Mekton. The mechanics are very rough and very early nineties. That was the time when RPGs were obsessed with rolling for everything and lots of pointless tables, and paid little attention to the game actually being balanced or fun to play.

M&M is an open system, so instead of picking classes and stuff you build your character from scratch, and end up with pretty much exactly what you want. Same with mecha.

Morph Bark
2011-02-27, 01:53 PM
Exalted. :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-27, 01:54 PM
What kind of mechs? How detailed do they have to be? Does the setting have to be sci-fi or can it be fantasy or something else?

I will recommend CthulhuTech and M&M, although Exalted and GURPS are alternates, barring any further information.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-02-27, 02:34 PM
What kind of mechs? How detailed do they have to be? Does the setting have to be sci-fi or can it be fantasy or something else?

Science Fictions is probably for the best. Closest he gets to fantasy is Zoids.

I was thinking about Battletech but thats more of a mini's game than what I'm looking for.