PDA

View Full Version : Starting a D&D 3.5 Level 20 Character and I need some ideas

Amurion
2011-02-27, 03:54 PM
So, our DM mentioned that he has a campaign in mind that starts at level 20. I'm the only one in our group that optimizes and I would like to make sure that our group survives if I can help it. I am planning on a Tier 1 class build, but I have no idea where I wan to go beyond that. As of right now any source is open and pretty much all alignments except chaotic evil are allowed. My stats are 18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14. We as players also have a choice of either using the normal magic system or unearthed arcana's magic recharge system. If anyone has some builds or advice they could contribute I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Darklady2831
2011-02-27, 04:15 PM
3 cleric, 3 wizard, 10 mystic theurge, and then another 4 cleric or wizard.
You'll have alot of buffs and spells from cleric, then you can load up on disabling and blasting spells for wizard.

Yukitsu
2011-02-27, 04:19 PM
I'd go with war weaver. Bloodlines optional depending on whether or not getting higher level spells is more important than getting better buffs for your tapestries. It lets you buff the entire party with 1 casting. Putting polymorph into a quiescent tapestry, then casting haste as your standard would make the entire party fairly deadly in melee.

Pick the magic recharge variant. You'll be able to put 4 combat duration buffs of level 5-8 depending on whether you took a bloodline, and dump them all on everyone as a move action, then reset them between combats.

Amurion
2011-02-27, 04:34 PM
One I was looking at was combing Wizard/Druid/Arcane Heirophant/Mystic Theurge to really capitalize on spellcasting variety.

Flavorwise, a Cleric/Walker of the Waste could be very interesting as well, just to play something a little different than your standard living creatures.

Silva Stormrage
2011-02-27, 05:21 PM
While not tier 1. The Dread Necromancer from Heros of Horror is a very good class. You can easily get massive amounts of undead from it and at 20 it becomes a lich. If your good at hiding your phylactery you are effectively immortal. If you want versatility you could always get the variant of advanced learning that allows you to learn a spell from any school but at one level lower than you normally would learn due to advanced learning. I believe the variant is in the PBHII

JohnDaBarr
2011-02-27, 06:22 PM
Its simple, just go pure Wizard and then do what you want
with access to lvl 9 spells you can practically solo pretty much everything

btw. I heard there is a arcane spell that allows you to swap feats you already know to metamagic feats but I cant find it anywhere

Demidos
2011-02-27, 06:31 PM
One I was looking at was combing Wizard/Druid/Arcane Heirophant/Mystic Theurge to really capitalize on spellcasting variety.

Thats a really good idea if your DM allows early entry (with something like heighten spell or precocious apprentice):smallbiggrin:

Amurion
2011-02-27, 06:35 PM
I'm hoping he will. Otherwise I may just have to go Druid/Planar Shepherd. Or undead Cleric, there is something very enticing about that build.

Silverlich
2011-02-27, 06:50 PM
Planar Shepherd/Beholder Mage. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-02-27, 06:51 PM
Planar Shepherd/Beholder Mage. :smallbiggrin:

At this point, why not Kobold Paladin 1? It's more merciful.

Amurion
2011-02-27, 07:17 PM
I'd go with war weaver. Bloodlines optional depending on whether or not getting higher level spells is more important than getting better buffs for your tapestries. It lets you buff the entire party with 1 casting. Putting polymorph into a quiescent tapestry, then casting haste as your standard would make the entire party fairly deadly in melee.

Pick the magic recharge variant. You'll be able to put 4 combat duration buffs of level 5-8 depending on whether you took a bloodline, and dump them all on everyone as a move action, then reset them between combats.

I like the support role that war weaver offers. Everyone has fun this way. I wonder if there would be some way to work it into arcane heirophant or mystic theurge.

sambo.
2011-02-27, 07:26 PM
either straight wizard or cleric comes to mind for a Tier 1 build.

wiz15/archmage5 would be an awesome place to start.

or sorcerer 15/archmage 5 (personally, i actually prefer sorcerers to wizards, but that's me).

or if you really want some cheese and can handle the minor drawbacks: paladin 2/sorcerer 13/archmage 5 and have some truly ridiculous saves.