PDA

View Full Version : Marrying Marybeth (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Vladislav
2011-02-27, 07:25 PM
OOC is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189034)

The year 1600 AD (After Devastation) was an important year in the history of Galadorn. First, the young king Galen took the throne from his ailing father, and immediately set out to bring about peace both within the kingdom and outside its borders, by negotiating with the old enemy, Toldur.

On a more local scale, the port of Southhaven opened two new shipping routes to two of the largest islands in the Sorcerers' Sea, promising new prosperity to the already burgeoning city.

On an even more local scale, Marybeth, eldest daughter of Willem Castle, an affluent merchant, was about to be wed to her chosen on the midsummer day. The reception on the eve of the party was a lavish affair at the Castle mansion, and many guests were invited.

Well-dressed and well-mannered waiters were gliding between tables, set in the garden in neat rows. Dresses and tuxedos were lit by soft candlelight amid quiet conversation and din of glasses and silverware. The father of the bride addresses the attendance.

Thank you all, my friends and relatives, for coming! I'm sure you're as thrilled to be here on Marybeth's special day as I am. Please, enjoy this banquet, and our lovely bride will make an entrance soon, so be ready with thunderous applause.

[[Introduce your characters, and start roleplaying; game on!]]

Chained Birds
2011-02-27, 08:21 PM
Edward

Mingling with a group of guests, a gentleman wearing a lavished tuxedo is weaving quite a story;

“…Yohohoh! That’s what he sounded like whenever he laughed. He was a peculiar pirate indeed; made of bones, good fashion, and quite the singer I might add. But eventually he and I…”

The man canting such wondrous tales of his long-lasting life is the great, great uncle of the bride named Edward Castle. He is known to haunt the family during important events, such as this wedding, and is very charismatic and helpful to all. His usual attire consists of clerical robes of either black and/or white, while wearing a wizard’s hat that conceals his face in a shroud of shadows. But today, he wears a black tuxedo with white trimmings and black gloves; a spiritual symbol hangs down his neck and sways with each gesture he makes. He appears unusually pale with some scarring and stitching around his neck and other limbs.

HappyBlanket
2011-02-27, 11:55 PM
Brenda

Sulking in a distant corner of the garden, a somewhat grumpy Brenda Castle stood with her arms crossed and her expression much the same, her hair let down for just this particular occasion. Her bridesmaid gown, worn grudgingly after a not insignificant bout of convincing and shouting, is a pale blue dress of modest nature, it's midcalf hemline ruffling with every agitated kick of the wearer.

She almost didn't come, and for a considerable number of weeks she was certain she wouldn't. Brenda thoroughly disliked the groom, and had even thrown a small tantrum at her elder sister's announcement of marriage. It was only by Marybeth's plea earlier in the day that Brenda consented to even consider attending at all, and it was only by force that she became a bridesmaid. She still detested the compulsory gown, and still held her sister in contempt.

At least, that's the story Brenda insists on. But the satisfied and frequent checks to her dress' appearance, and the occasional excited smiles upon mistaking others for her sister, say otherwise.

One Tin Soldier
2011-02-27, 11:55 PM
A diminutive figure dressed in relatively simple clothes wanders about through the wedding guests. For a gnome, he is on the taller and thicker side, so he measures slightly above the waist on the humans around him. He is dressed rather simply compared to the people around him, with only a single pinned flower to spruce up his plain dress shirt.

"Excuse me, sir," he says politely, attempting to move around the tall, pale man blocking the way back to his table.

Chained Birds
2011-02-28, 01:01 AM
Edward

The tall man averts his gaze downwards at the gnome. He ceases his conversation with the other guests to engage the young one,

“Well, if it isn’t sir Ashtree the paladin. Hopefully you’re still in training and have yet to achieve your clerical powers. But that’s beside the point; what you need?”

One Tin Soldier
2011-02-28, 07:54 AM
Fonkin stared blankly for a moment, trying to remember who this man was was, and why he would greet him in such a manner. He looked about his person, looking for a clue, until he spotted a bit of stitching underneath the tuxedo.

"Ah, Mr. Edward Castle, isn't it? My apologies, I did not recognize you at first." Fonkin nervously made a little half-bow. Since you ask, I have been out of training for a year or so now, but do not worry. You do not have to fear for your health on my account."

"Now I was simply headed back to my table," he said, gesturing to a table behind Edward, "But if there is something else you wished to talk about, feel free."

Chained Birds
2011-02-28, 08:32 AM
Edward

With a large grin,

"Ho, no problems at all. Enjoy yourself young one, tis' a time for festivities and all."

He steps aside for the gnome to pass; afterwards, he begins engaging in some more light banter with the other guests.

One Tin Soldier
2011-02-28, 12:53 PM
Fonkin

"Have a pleasant evening," he said, then walked past the man to his table. He clambered up the tall chair, apparently designed for human children, and sat down to his meal, occasionally joining in the conversation with those around him.

Vladislav
2011-02-28, 02:54 PM
Some info on the groom-to-be:
Peter Brehm was a career soldier for years, stationed at the border of the Wildlands, repelling monster attacks and carrying out retaliation raids deep in the heart of enemy territory. During the brief civil war that brought the current King to power, his family took the wrong side; his father, a high-ranking officer, was killed, and Peter himself lost most of his fortune, receiving nothing in return but a nasty scar on his cheek.

He was discharged from the army, and moved to Southhaven, where he found a job as a clerk at the Castle family business. Merchant work was not in his blood, but he was a diligent and hard worker, and seems to be genuinely a good man, if a tad boring and uncharismatic.

What Marybeth found in him is anyone's guess, but regardless, a year later he asked for her hand in marriage, and she accepted. The father wasn't too happy at this, seeing as Peter had no money of his own, and was almost ten years older than Marybeth, but the young couple seemed very much in love, and he relented and gave his blessing to their union.

Seeing his younger daughter pouting in the corner, Willem approaches her. Is everything alright, my love? Don't you want to go and say hello to our guests?

HappyBlanket
2011-03-01, 04:09 PM
Brenda squirmed irritably, averting her gaze from her father with an indignant puff and a light stomp. When the moment passed, she returned her gaze somewhat more tolerantly, keeping her arms crossed but otherwise relaxing her features. Her spiteful scowl was lessened to a small pout of resignation, and her voice was steady, if pointed.

"I'm fine, I just..."

She rose slightly, standing on the tips of her feet with her head tilted upwards, scouring the crowd from as high a vantage point she could muster without leaving the ground. Much to her continued disappointment, her sister had yet to arrive (a disappointment relived every three minutes for the last half hour)

"...I don't like him." she said hotly, dropping to the flats of her feet once more. "Marybeth is being stupid."

Sinfonian
2011-03-01, 04:28 PM
An older man and his wife enter the mansion, holding hands and chatting among themselves about the wonderful decor of the party and the smell of the food. The man holds himself upright, with a proud bearing, and has a smile on his face. After they are inside, he shows Agatha to a seat and goes to get them some drinks.

A raven perched on his left shoulder, looks around for something eagerly. He speaks softly to it in Draconic:
"Be more still, Caut! I don't want to get feathers on the nice decorations. I'll get you something too, since Marybeth doesn't seem to be around at the moment to bribe you with food like she used to."
The bird bobs its head and settles down, though its head still searches around the room looking for the bride.

He knows some of the people around, nodding or waving warmly to former students and employers alike as he passes by them. Seeing the graying man in the tuxedo, he remembers something about an uncle, or something like that, that his student had mentioned many years before. He couldn't quite recall what was so special, but that the girl had been quite fascinated by her relation. He decides to make his way over there and perhaps see what the fuss was about.

He waits for a group to leave the man, allowing for a break in conversation to introduce himself. "Greetings. I was Marybeth's tutor, some time ago. Are you Marybeth's uncle? I seem to recall her mentioning you once. I believe you were used as an excuse that she failed to study, out of excitement at seeing you. Professor Biles, at your service." With a smile, he extends a burned and scarred hand to the man in the tuxedo.

Chained Birds
2011-03-01, 09:49 PM
Edward

After his group of guests dispersed, he greets the man, who addresses him;

“Well, any friend of the family in a friend of mine; Edward Castle’s the name. A pleasure to finally speak to you Prof. Biles, my young niece has spoken… fondly of you whenever the conversations turned to her study. I remember her jokingly bringing up using me for a project once, it was quite interesting to see her little mind at work; I’m glad I can thank you for steering that mind in the right direction.
Which reminds me, I haven’t seen my dear niece all day? It would have been enjoyable for her to introduce me to you or the other way around.”

Edward scans the guests in search of Willem,

“Ho, allow me to direct you to Willem, he should hear of your arrival.”

With a kind smile, Edward leads Bile to Willem and Brenda; noticing the angst Brenda is emanating.

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything?”

Vladislav
2011-03-02, 10:04 AM
Brenda, muffin... Willem whispers, holding his daughter's elbow, getting slightly red in the face. Please don't cause a scene. Now is not the time. Oh, hello Edward, Professor, glad to see you made it. I see Agatha is also here, and how are the boys doing? He turns around at Biles' approach, extending his hand for a warm handshake, still holding Brenda's elbow with the other hand just in case.

After some pleasantries are exchanged, Willem scans the crowd, frowning. Actually, Brenda, do you mind walking over to the cottage and seeing what's taking your sister so long? Peter wanted to go, but it's bad luck for him to see the bride before the ceremony, you know. Professor, maybe you can accompany my lovely daughter, I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about?

[["The cottage" refers to a small log house on the waterfront the Castles own in addition to their main house, it's no more than 5 minute walk from here, and it's where Marybeth is getting ready now.]]

This is for Brenda, anyone else Sense Motive DC 10 to open
She of course understands what this is about. Her father was pressuring her for months, if not years, to join her sister and take lessons from Prof. Biles. Being more of the physical type, Brenda resisted until now. Now he's using the opportunity to have her spend some time with the old tutor. How sneaky of him.

Edward and Fonkin
Please do find a reason to volunteer and join those two. :smallwink:

Chained Birds
2011-03-02, 10:35 AM
Edward

"You mind if I join the two? I haven't seen the bride at all since I've been here, and I do wish to give her the best of luck before she is given to the young man Peter. It's the least a great, great uncle can do."

With a pleasant smile, Edward doesn't seem like he will be eluded by anything Willem has to say to the contrary.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-02, 01:06 PM
"Excuse me," Fonkin said, walking over to the group. "I overheard you talking, and if it would not be too much trouble, I would like to join you as well. It has been some time since I have seen Marybeth. Or Brenda, for that matter."

Sinfonian
2011-03-02, 02:57 PM
Sense Motive:
[roll0]

The Professor catches the man's intention, acknowledging it with a slight nod. Willem always was a clever man, but he won't get his way on this one. Before heading out with the others, he brings back a drink to his wife and tells her where he's going. He offers his arm to Brenda, as a gentleman should, and whispers in her ear as he does so.
"No need to worry, girl. I've retired from regular teaching. You'll not hear anything from me to try to convince you to take my tutelage."

HappyBlanket
2011-03-02, 04:42 PM
"Yeah, yeah." grunted Brenda, shrugging off Willem's hand with a noticeably (and intentionally) dramatic sigh. She spared her father an exasperated glance, but took the Professor's outstretched arm regardless, a slight grimace forming along her lips. Unfortunately for her father, Brenda had little interest in studying beneath Professor Biles, having long decided to abandon any study of the arcane. True, she had once attempted to follow in the footsteps of Marybeth's work, but a few haphazardly brewed potions and one very ruined bedroom revealed to Brenda her very poor understanding of the arcane (though after a fit of frustration, she did manage to brew one potion that appeared to change color for a brief period of time, though she could not for the life of her understand why).

She grinned triumphantly at Professor Bile's reassurance, her trudging replaced by a relaxed stride. "I'm relieved" she replied, also whispering as they walked. "Father has been pushing me into arcane study for ages. I've nothing against it, but it's really not my talent."

"Good to see you, Edward." she said to her great great uncle, recognizing her uncle's "special occasion" face. She was genuinely pleased by the illusion of natural life, but too appreciated to see her uncle once more. "I know Marybeth will want to see you."

"And... Fonkin?" Brenda questioned, smiling also to an old family friend. She hadn't seen him since she was a child (though to many, she still was), though she knew from Marybeth and Willem that the gnome had spent the greater part of the last decade training to become a Paladin, or adventuring. "Marybeth and I haven't seen you since we were kids, I think."

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-02, 05:11 PM
Fonkin smiled at Brenda, glad she remembered him. "Yes, the last time I saw you, we were the same height. I'm always amazed how fast you humans grow." Especially your legs, he thought, as he lengthened his strides to match theirs.
"So, aside from not studying magic, what have you been doing?"

Vladislav
2011-03-02, 11:16 PM
After a short walk down Ivy street, you cross Pine avenue, and are near the so-called cottage. It is located right at the waterfront, and the salt constantly carried in the sea breeze have made the building look much older than it actually is. A few small fishing boats are bobbing by the pier, and some kids are playing with a ball, sewn out of rags, right on the street.

Marybeth, you recall, wasn't a fan of being exiled here for the final preparations with her bridesmaid, but tradition is tradition - the groom can't see her on their wedding day, until the last moment, when the carriage brings her to the ceremony.

Speaking of the carriage, it doesn't seem to be parked outside, as expected. Either the scoundrels from "Manny & Sons Tranportation" took the gold and forgot to deliver the goods, or maybe Marybeth already left and you missed her on the way? No, that's not possible, there's only one street leading from here to there, you would have seen her on the way.

Hmm.

Chained Birds
2011-03-02, 11:55 PM
Edward

“Ho, memories. I’ve seen many a wedding where the bride was housed in this very cottage. I hope you, Brenda, find a love that will lock you up in this place.
But it is odd that the carriage is not present. I could have sworn Willem paid Manny personally the other day; but I’ve seen people go against their word a countless number of times. Might as well intrude on the lass seeing as how we’ve come all this way; can’t be returning empty-handed and all.”

Edward walks over to the door and knocks a few times,

“Dear Mary, it is your uncle Edward come to check on you! I hope you don’t mind if Brenda and I intrude on you for but a moment?”

He turns to the other non-Castle members,

“I’m sorry gentlemen; this is a family matter until she leaves the building. It should take but a moment;”

To Brenda,

“Can you go in first? I don’t wish to embarrass her if she is in a compromising position.”

He gives Brenda a wink, and steps away from the door.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-03, 05:48 AM
"Well, I took up sword fighting not long ago." Brenda said to Fonkin matter-of-factly, referring to the crude, self taught manner with which she had learned to bludgeon. Her sword was less an instrument of the art, and more a mere chunk of sharpened steel, which she wielded with very little in terms of proficiency or expertise, preferring instead the catharsis of hormone fueled damage.

As they approached the cottage, Brenda eyed the spot where the carriage was supposed to be with some curiosity. Her glance followed over the empty space, tracing it down it's intended path over to the nearby children on the street and to the site of the ceremony.

She grimaced at Edward's nod to her own eventual stay at this cottage, biting her lip at the thought with some embarrassment. Red flushed over her cheek, and she found herself looking downwards, as if suddenly very fascinated by the ground.

"I-I don't think I'll soon be thinking about... About..." she spoke quickly, unsuccessful in her attempt to assert anything resembling indifference or coolness towards the thought. She instead decided to compensate with an indignant breath, a profanity under said breath, and a quickened pace as she approached the door, clearly flustered.

Doing her best to maintain herself, she gripped the handle of the door before calling out aloud to her sister: "M-Marybeth?" she yelled out, clearing her throat "...It's me, Brenda."

She pushed inwards on the door, reminding herself to close it behind her.

Vladislav
2011-03-03, 09:43 AM
Inside

The first thing Brenda notices in the dim light is the white blotch of her sister's wedding dress, crumpled on the floor in the center of the living room. The dress, however, is as empty as the house. Other than the dress, and a piece of paper on the floor, everything seems to be in good order. Except for a teapot in the kitchen, desperately whistling for attention, Brenda perceives no signs of life.

Outside

[roll0] 1=William 2=Fonkin 3=Prof. Biles
Touch attack [roll1]

The kids, kicking the ball around carelessly, almost hit Prof. Biles with the dirty thing, and only at the last moment does he manage to duck.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-03, 04:02 PM
Brenda wordlessly strides into the living room in confusion, scanning her eerily silent surroundings with trepidation. Kneeling by the dress, she inspects it briefly before turning her attention to the crumpled paper, unfurling the slip hastily.

Jumping to her feet, she turns her head frantically over the walls, seeking out any details she may have missed.

Search:
[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-03, 04:09 PM
A cursory search reveals the beige bridesmaid dress hanging in the closet, untouched. The street clothes in which you last saw your sister are nowhere to be found. The piece of paper is an open envelope, with your sister's name written on it in black ink, but otherwise completely plain. The envelope is empty. The kettle whistles louder yet.

Chained Birds
2011-03-03, 04:35 PM
Edward

Concerned over the silence, Edward calls out to Brenda,

"Dear nieces, what is taking you so long? We do have guests waiting."

He turns to the men,

"Honestly, women always keep us waiting around. It must be some sorts of conspiracy to make us males suffer the effects of tardiness."

He says this in a light-hearted fashion, not really meaning anything by it.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-03, 04:44 PM
"...She's not here." Brenda said to herself, iterating her thoughts.
"She's not here!" she yelled loudly over her shoulder, finally turning her mind to the incessantly whistling kettle. She leaves the closet containing the bridesmaid's dress open, but carries the tantalizing envelope with her, suspicious of it but preoccupied with searching the remainder of the cottage.

Leaving the living room, she ventures into the kitchen, inspecting the area.

Search:
1d20-1

HappyBlanket
2011-03-03, 04:47 PM
Search
[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-03, 04:50 PM
The kitchen is thick with vapors of water, pouring from the above-mentioned kettle, standing on a hot stove. Two teacups are set on the table. Marybeth always found drinking tea a good way to relax, you recall.

Otherwise, there's nothing out of the ordinary here. And most importantly, no one.

Chained Birds
2011-03-03, 04:53 PM
Edward

"What do you mean Brenda?"

He begins to walk in and find his younger niece scavenging around the area with a hint of desperation in her eyes. He then turns to the others with a false smile,

"One second gentlemen..."

Edward walks in and closes the door behind him. With a calm voice, he speaks softly to Brenda,

"Calm down dear; let's try to think about where she might have gone. Do you remember anything she said to you before she was sent here; anything at all?"

HappyBlanket
2011-03-03, 05:13 PM
"I mean she's gone." spat Brenda, stopping the source of the heat and steam. Despite her uncle's assurances, her face still showed signs of thorough confusion. "No, I don't think she mentioned anything, but..." she trailed off, suddenly remembering the missing carriage. She immediately made her way to the front door, giving Edward the found envelope as she passed.

"I found this in the living room." she explained, presenting the paper. "It's empty, but it's addressed to Marybeth."

She opened the front door suddenly, leaving it ajar to allow the other two entry into the cottage. The children caught her eyes first, and she approached the group with a stride in her step.

"There was a carriage here." she stated, gesturing to a spot next to the building. "There was a woman in this cottage who was supposed to take it somewhere. Did you see her?"

She recalled the two cups as well.

"Was there anyone with her?"

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-03, 06:08 PM
"Brenda, what...?" Fonkin attempted to ask Brenda as she swept past. Seeing that she was too preoccupied to answer, he walked in to the cottage. "Edward, what's going on? Where's Marybeth?"

Chained Birds
2011-03-03, 06:33 PM
Edward

"It would appear, [pause for dramatic effect] we've got a runaway bride."

He walks up to prof. Biles and hands him the envelope.

"Here, maybe you can tell me something about this envelope? You seem like a well-learned individual."

Sinfonian
2011-03-03, 11:52 PM
The Professor is quite perturbed by this turn of events, such a disappearance was entirely out of character for Marybeth. Even if she'd had second thoughts about her upcoming nuptials, she'd still have taken the problem head-on. It was part of why he liked her.

He turns to Edward and takes the envelope. "Of course, anything I can do to help. But first thing's first, let's see if there's something in the room that shouldn't be." He then will stand in the place where he has the best sweeping vantage point of the room and casts detect magic making sure to catch the envelope in the cone of the spell's effect.

If he detects something, he will continue to hold onto the spell until he has garnered all information he can. Otherwise, he will stop and look at the envelope, making sure that Caut also has an opportunity to look at it. If anyone notes this as strange, he will respond "The bird has seen more paper than most bureaucrats. He's graded tests when I got tired."
((OOC:I'm not certain what kind of check is most appropriate here, so I'll try a couple. Should get some information from something here.))
Spot (Professor): [roll0]
Spot (Caut): [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

Vladislav
2011-03-04, 02:32 AM
Prof. Biles doesn't find anything magical or special about the envelope, even with his familiar's help. There are also no traces of magic about the house, but a search reveals a few small muddy shoeprints in the living room.

The kids look at Brenda with slight trepidation, then look at each other. I didn't do anything, honest. One of them blurts. Just gave 'er a letter.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-04, 03:03 AM
"A letter." repeated Brenda, briefly glancing into the house. She paused momentarily in thought before speaking again, addressing the two children once more.

"From who?" she asked. "Where did you get the letter?"

Sinfonian
2011-03-04, 04:50 AM
After his examinations, Professor Biles sighs. "Sorry, but I can't find anything out of the ordinary from this letter, and nothing magical from the area." He hands the letter to Brenda. "She is your sister, I suppose you should get the letter."

Vladislav
2011-03-04, 09:39 AM
There was this tall guy, said give 'er a letter, then scram. So I did. There were, like two girls in the house, and one of 'em got mighty upset at the letter. So they got into the carriage and left.

Chained Birds
2011-03-04, 10:37 AM
Edward

With a gentle smile, Edward kneels down to the kids' level and addresses them about the subject at hand;

"Ho, which way did the carriage go young ones? Towards the coast? To the north? Left? Right? Any information would be just fine."

Vladislav
2011-03-04, 10:58 AM
They went that way. He's pointing east, toward the docks. Are we in trouble?
I told you we should have scrammed, like 'e said. The other boy adds.

Chained Birds
2011-03-04, 12:07 PM
Edward

"No, no, no; you're not in trouble. Here, buy yourselves a new ball for being such a great help. Every society needs a stool pigeon, and I hope you lot grow up to be just that."

Holding his smile, Edward reaches into his pocket and pulls out 1 gold coin, and hands it to the boy who gave him the information.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-04, 12:57 PM
"Yes, like he said, you have been most helpful," Fonkin said. He gave the children a warm smile, before turning to the three humans.
"Ok, so she went toward the docks. We should go and try to track her down."

Vladislav
2011-03-04, 01:05 PM
The kid accepts the coin with slight disbelief, testing it by the time-proven method of biting. Wow, a whole Florin*! Thanks! That's a lot more than the other guy gave us. The children then grab the ball, and walk away exchanging comments of the type See, and you were worried... and Me, worry? Nah...

1 GP = Florin
1 SP = Schilling
1 CP = Penny
Platinum pieces are very rare and don't have a common name

Chained Birds
2011-03-04, 01:11 PM
Edward

"Good call Fonkin, but we should find a way to inform Willem of what has just transpired. Hmm... I know! Prof. Biles, can you send your raven to deliver a message about what we’ve learned?
I do hope your raven can find us after delivering the message though, because we should head out a soon as possible after we get our supplies. I have a bad feeling that we might end up in combat against whoever swiped our fair maiden.
Let us meet back here in as soon as possible with our adventuring supplies. Oh, and Brenda, if you need your supplies back at the house, you might as well take your items and leave without detection. I can sense that Willem may not allow his youngest daughter to head out into danger while the other is captive."

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-04, 01:40 PM
Fonkin nodded, furrowing his brow. "I certainly hope that we will not need to fight, but you're right, we should be prepared. My adventuring gear is off at the inn, I'll go fetch it." With that, he turned and hurried off down the street.

Chained Birds
2011-03-04, 01:50 PM
Edward

"I left my items in a grave special place. I'll just make a little trip to the cemetary hidden area and be back in a bit. Good luck people."

Edward begins to leave, but turns back to the cottage. He sighs for a moment, then leaves to the place he left his supplies.

Sinfonian
2011-03-04, 01:57 PM
The Professr ponders Edward's suggestions for a moment and responds,
"I suppose I can send Caut, but he only speaks Draconic and Raven. So I'll have to send him to my wife to relay the message...I taught her the dragons' tongue some years ago so she could communicate with him. Messy business with him and a silver capped vial of alchemist's fire. Long story short: drapes are quite flammable.

Anyway, if we have to wait to get our supplies, it might be worthwhile to deliver the message in person since the house is so close.

Before we do anything else, we should have a look at that letter, see what we're getting into first. As for me, I had not yet had an opportunity to set down my things upon arrival, so I am still prepared from the journey here."

Chained Birds
2011-03-04, 02:14 PM
Edward

"Do what you must professor. You'll probally have better luck understanding that letter than I would. You can accompany Brenda, if you'd like to deliver the information personally."

...Now Edward leaves.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-04, 05:47 PM
Brenda lifts the flap on the envelope, showing the inner contents to the group at large. Unfortunately, the envelope is empty, and mostly unremarkable apart from it's recipient's name. "Marybeth" is scrawled on the outer surface, the only significant detail.

"She must have taken it with her." Brenda speculated, referring of course to the missing letter as she peered into the emptiness of the envelope. She then turned her gaze towards the docks in the East, where her sister and the bridesmaid were said to have gone. She stayed her tongue, but remained clearly distraught. Though she admittedly mused of Marybeth abandoning the wedding, she certainly did not expect it, and her concern showed.

Brenda twitched irately at Edward's comment about Marybeth, and the possible need for combat for her safety. She didn't appreciate the thought of her sister being in any position of peril, and hoped that the contents of the letter were of little concern. This too, she certainly did not expect. But if Marybeth was indeed in any danger, Brenda would gladly - eagerly, even - take up arms for her sister's sake.

"I won't let father see me." she confirmed to Edward, who she presumed to be correct about Willem's reaction.

As the group dispersed, she shouted out to their backs, her concern growing. "Don't bother meeting up here! Go directly to the docks!" she yelled, determined to reach her sister post haste. They might not have the luxury of time.

She darted away as quickly as she possibly could, her feet pounding furiously at the stone ground. Her own bridesmaid dress didn't exactly augment her movement, but she made her way to the house in no time at all. She nearly dashed through the front door, but stopped with a lucky glance through the window. A particularly talkative aunt happened to stand between her and her possessions, and she did not want to endure the ordeal of her family's socialization; "Oh my, look how large you've grown! Oh, do you have a boyfriend yet? Oh, aren't you the cutest thing?" The mere thought made her sick.

Stepping back, Brenda surveyed the house. The staircase meant going through her aunt, and Brenda could not be bothered to wait. Her room (and all of her stuff) was on the second floor - from the street, she could see the inner ceiling through the window...

Ah. The window.

Stepping back into the street, Brenda eyed the window ledge at length. It was slightly over 10 feet off the ground. Blindly confident in her ability to succeed, she runs in the direction of her house, reflecting on her absolute and infallible genius with giddy pleasure as she attempted to make the leap.

Jump DC 40:
[roll0]
(autofail)

Brenda ends up slamming against the side of the house, surprising her greatly whilst also granting her the attention of more than one random stander-by. More importantly, it shocks the aunt inside, who cautiously moves towards the living room door to investigate. Muttering a quick profanity, Brenda quickly moves back to the other side of the street before trying once more, this time reaching for the window with her arms instead of attempting to dive head-first into the gap.

Jump DC 8:
[roll1]
(autosucceed)
Maths:
Run: +4
Leap of the Heavens: +5 Competence
Jump Skill: +6
Ability Modifiers: +3
Reach: 8 feet

Though she once again attracted the attentions of surrounding citizens, she at least managed to plunge her arms through the window, the rest of her body flailing momentarily beneath. Grunting and kicking, she attempted to pull herself further inwards.

Climb:
[roll2]

She flails unceremoniously into her room, risking a peek outside at her thoroughly perplexed aunt, who is looking across the street below to no avail. Satisfied, Brenda hastily gathers a group of possessions, stuffing them into a sack. She slips off the ceremonial bridesmaid dress, tossing it to the side as she locates her equipment.

Studded leather straps over her chest, fastened tight by steel buckle. It lays over a white undershirt, and the sleeves bundle over the body segment of her armor, the shoulder pads resting over them. Bands of the studded material roll over her forearms, strapped accordingly, fitting into place. A belt fits armor over her thighs, laying against auburn garment.

A singular strand of string is whipped to her hair, fastening much of it into a lone ponytail behind her head. Her scabbard lays in her hand, the sword kept within it's confines. She gripped it tightly, moving the blade from the scabbard to catch a slight glimpse of the polished steel.

She was ready.

Sinfonian
2011-03-04, 07:48 PM
The Professor, having hustled behind Brenda on her way back to the house, winces as he watches her slam into the side of the house. I see what they mean when they say she isn't near as suited to studies as her sister was. Still, must admire the gumption of the girl. He enters into the house, ducking past guests and anyone else in his way. When he finds Willem, he quickly pulls him aside and speaks to him alone, the words leaving his mouth rapidly.

"Willem, you've known me for years and know that my word can be trusted. Don't panic, it won't do anything but harm. Your daughter is not in the cottage at the moment. She seems to have taken the carriage to the docks. We will go there and bring her straight back. We will return as soon as possible. I promise that things will be okay."

He places his hands on the father's shoulders, looking into his eyes as he says the last words, a reassurance from one father to another that he means every word. With that, he takes his leave from the father. With only a brief stop to kiss his wife goodbye, he leaves the party briskly (but not so quickly as to arouse too much suspicion). Having left the house, he hurries back to the meeting spot with all haste.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-04, 08:46 PM
Brenda catches Professor Biles in the corner of her eye as she glances outside her window. She briefly rechecks the cloth sack containing the majority of her supplies, and when finding herself satisfied, slings it over her shoulder. then hurriedly climbs out the window, jumping down to the street below (Jump DC 15, auto succeed).

She jogs quickly to the professor's side, her scabbard still in hand. She turns to him with a grin, gripping the sheath's strap tightly.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-05, 12:51 PM
Fonkin rushed down the road to the inn. It was not terribly far away, but it was further than the Castle mansion, and he was not the fastest of people. So he ran.
After a few minutes, he reached the building, and burst in to his room. As quickly as he could, he pulled off his dress clothes and began strapping on his armor, a set of banded mail. He stowed his shield on his back, hung so he could grab it at a moment's notice. He grabbed his pick, a finely crafted weapon that was worn but well cared for, and hung it from his waist. He looked at his other gear, including his crossbow and the assorted things in his pack. It was unlikely that he would need such things... But it was always possible. He quickly tossed the bow in the pack and put the pack on, adjusting the shield for it. Now confident in his preparedness, he left the room and hurried back toward the docks.

Vladislav
2011-03-05, 01:23 PM
Willem looks at the Professor's eyes, his expression switching from surprise to despair. I ... I don't understand ... they seemed so much in love. With the corner of the eye, he motions toward Peter, nursing his drink with one hand and nervously tapping his fingers at the edge of the table with the other. Well, I'm going to trust you to be discreet and efficient on this matter, as you always have. Thank you, my friend. I'll try to hold things together here. With that, he leaves to speak to some of the guests.

[roll0] minutes after they parted paths, Brenda, the Professor, Fonkin and Edward rejoin by the entrance to the docks. A few torches are throwing shadowy illumination on the scene, and a barbed wire fence blocks your passage. Two burly guards sit by the wide entry gate, which is at present securely locked by a chain. What do ye want? Don't ye know what time it is? Docks are closed for the night.

Chained Birds
2011-03-05, 05:19 PM
Edward

"Excuse me sirs, but we do have some nightly business to attend. We do have permission by Willem Castle to be here I might add, even though we show no paperwork to prove it."

Edward is trying to behave honest to the two men, without revealing their true motives for being there.

"Oh, and by any chance have you witnessed a carriage baring this description?"

Edward begins to describe the carriage in great detail to the gentlemen before him.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

HappyBlanket
2011-03-05, 07:20 PM
Watching Edward speak with the guards, Brenda is quick to step forward, interjecting as he attempts to convince them.

"Willem Castle is my father." she quips somewhat impatiently, standing to Edward's side. "Let us through."

Aid Diplomacy:
[roll0]

She speaks alongside her uncle, supporting his attempts to convince the guards.

Vladislav
2011-03-06, 12:18 PM
Busy night, eh? The second guard quips.
Shut up, Geordie, the first one cuts him off, then turns back to you. Castle has clout here at daytime. Now is night time. Docks are closed. Do I need to spell it to you? K-l-o-z-d. Now scram.

In case it becomes relevant, map:

{table]|_A|_B|_C|_D|_E|_F|_G|_H|_I|_J|_K|_L
1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK|G2| | | | | | |
4| | |KK|KK| | |G1| | | | |
5|==|==|==|==|==|==|GG|GG|==|==|==|==
6| | | | | | |Ed|Br| | | |
7| | | | | | |Bi|Fo| | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |
9| | | | | | | | | | | |[/table]

== Chainlink fence with barbed wire on top, 8' high.

GG = double gate, locked, same height as fence, also barbed wire on top.

KK = judging from the noises coming from this wooden shed, this is a dog kennel.

G1, G2 = guards (studded leather, crossbow, heavy mace)

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Things you need to know:
- melee attacks thought the fence at only possible with spears or rapiers.
- missile attacks take -4 penatly for cover.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-06, 01:38 PM
Brenda's brow furrowed, clearly irritated. It had taken them long enough to get here, and longer still trying to convince the guards to allow them entrance. What little patience granted by a teenager's hormones was all but moot by this point - it had actually vanished some time ago during Edward and her's negotiations with guards, and her irritability had long begun to fester since.

She suddenly grabs the gate in front of her, clenching the chains between her fingers with an agitated yell. "Listen you stupid inbreds!" she spits at them, her every word accompanied by the rattling of the fence. "The two of you apes are going to let us in, one way or another! I don't care when Willem Castle has clout, Brenda Castle is only two severed and empty heads away from having clout whenever I damn please!"

The darkened air rings out with the rattling of the fence, accompanied by a symphony of profanities and insults directed at mothers.

Intimidate:
[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-06, 06:34 PM
Sorry, you genuinely had a chance but they rolled too high
What's that, girl? Look, we're in here, and you're out there, and that's how it's going to stay. For the last time, scram, or we'll release the dogs on you.

The other guard, still not lifting his rear end from the chair, idly loads a bolt into his crossbow.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-06, 07:46 PM
What's that, girl? Look, we're in here, and you're out there, and that's how it's going to stay.

Move Action: Draw Bastard Sword
Standard Action: Attack Lock

"Not for long!" Brenda yells, grinning as she grips the hilt of her blade, her unworn scabbard still carried in her left hand. She flings the scabbard away, tossing it to the ground as she grasps the sword with both hands, hoisting it high above her head. She swings it down at the lock triumphantly.

Attack and Damage
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Vladislav
2011-03-07, 10:03 AM
Brenda's strike, powerful as it was, barely dents the lock, but she sure has their attention now. Shocked at her insolence, the guards finally had enough, and are moving from words to decisive action. The one sitting by the kennel (whose name is Geordie, apparently) releases the bolt he just loaded in Edward's direction, but it's stopped by the chainlink fence.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

He then tugs on a wire hanging down from the kennel side. This has the effect of opening a small secret door next somewhere in the area of C5. The dogs' barking intensifies, as they feel the scent of human (and gnome) flesh.

The guard that was next to the fence takes a step back, loads his crossbow and fires at Brenda. This one gets lucky, goes through the fence, finds a weak spot in her armor, and sticks deep and painfully in her side.

[roll2] dmg [roll3] <--- 8 dmg

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK|G2| |G1| | | | |
4| | |KK|KK| | | | | | | |
5|==|==|==|==|==|==|GG|GG|==|==|==|==
6| | | | | | |Ed|Br| | | |
7| | | | | | |Bi|Fo| | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = judging from the noises coming from this wooden shed, this is a dog kennel.

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Initiative order:
Guards 16
<---- we are here; PCs order is interchangeable. Anyone who goes before the dogs can take their turn now.

Fonkin 13

Prof. Biles 10

Edward 10

Dogs 6

Brenda 5

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-07, 10:31 AM
Fonkin gave Brenda an alarmed stare as she angrily smashed her sword down on the lock. Then, seeing the guards open fire on his companions and release the dogs, he realized that the time for talking was over and the time for fighting had begun.

As quickly as he could manage, Fonkin pulled his shield off his back, readying it for combat. He then drew his pick, moving between the dogs and his companions as he did so.

Move Action 1: Ready shield
Move Action 2: Draw weapon while moving to E7

Chained Birds
2011-03-07, 11:55 AM
Edward

Barely even noting the shot across his body, his slightly torn robes revealing a strong armor underneath, he sighs and releases his shield from his back; and his mace from his side.

"Why does this always happen when family is involved? Why can't it just be yard-work or clothing repair?"

Locks aren't his specialty, so he'll just remain on the defensive.

move action: draw shield
move action: draw mace

Sinfonian
2011-03-07, 06:58 PM
Professor Biles is still grimacing from the atrocious spelling demonstrated by the guard, but sees that Brenda has forced the situation into something much more interesting. This one really hasn't got much in her skull. I suppose her sister got all the brains there are to be had in the family. Now that something dangerous had started, best to dive in and get it over with.

He points toward the lock and wills a small glob of acid to strike it, hopefully melting through it.

He will make use of the Acidic Splatter reserve feat at the lock with a 2nd level acid spell still unused.
Touch Attack: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-07, 07:36 PM
The metal boils and bubbles under the stream of acid, and a sizeable damage is inflicted on the chain. A couple more of those, it seems, and the gate can be swung open!

This triumph, however, is replaced with alarm! Through the secret door that was just opened by Geordie, two large dogs pounce out, saliva dripping from their dirty fangs. Both growl and choose Fonkin as their delicious target. Go for the throat, boys! The guard shouts.

[roll0] dmg [roll1] <--- 8 damage
[roll2] dmg [roll3]
The gnome's armor stops one byte, but the other set of teeth finds its way into his shoulder. Fonkin can almost hear a fang screeching against his collarbone.

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK|G2| |G1| | | | |
5|==|==|ss|==|==|==|GG|GG|==|==|==|==
6| | | |H1| | |Ed|Br| | | |
7| | | |H2|Fo| | |Bi| | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = dog kennel.

ss = Secret door that just opened

H1, H2 = Hounds

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Initiative order:
Guards 16

Fonkin 13

Prof. Biles 10

Edward 10

Dogs 6

Brenda 5

It's now Brenda's turn

HappyBlanket
2011-03-07, 07:57 PM
Frustrated, but certainly not discouraged, Brenda lifts her sword and strikes once more at the quarrelsome lock.

Standard Action: Attack: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-07, 08:08 PM
The bubbling metal impresses the guards summarily. Shoot the wizard! Get him! They frantically screams to each other. Both reload, shuffle slighly for a better angle, and let fly at the Professor. Oh, the disrespect!

[roll0] dmg [roll1] <--- 1 damage
[roll2] dmg [roll3]
He get's lucky, emerging with but a minor scratch.

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK| |G1| | | | | |
4| | |KK|KK|G2| | | | | | |
6| | | |H1| | |Ed|Br| | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Initiative order:
Guards 16

Fonkin 13

Prof. Biles 10

Edward 10

Dogs 6

Brenda 5

It's now Fonkin's, Biles' and Edward's turn

Chained Birds
2011-03-07, 08:53 PM
Edward

Moving to intercept the arrows striking at the professor, Edward charges the dog in his path.

"Pardon me sir, but it would appear that you currently need a shield. I hope a fleshy one will suffice?"

Striking at the hound as he says that.

Full round: charge action (-2 AC / +2 attack bonus)
- move to E6
- attack: [roll0]
- damage: [roll1]
- crit confirm: [roll2]
- damage: [roll3]

Current AC-19 / Flat-18/ Touch-8

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-07, 09:37 PM
Fonkin's face wound up in a harsh grimace from the pain of the dog's bite. Twisting around, he manages to shake it off of him just as Edward runs up by his side. "Thanks for the help," he says quickly, then focuses and swings his pick at the dog in front of him.

Standard: attack H2

Vladislav
2011-03-07, 10:24 PM
Fonkin's and Edward's strikes hit naught but air, much to the joy of the guards, who goad the dogs on. 'git em, boys! Good job!

Sinfonian
2011-03-08, 08:31 PM
The Professor sighs when he fails to adequately damage the lock on the first try. "If at first you don't succeed...try, try, until it's a bubbling puddle at your feet."

As before using the Acidic Splatter feat, 2nd level spell unused.
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage (ignoring hardness): [roll1]

Vladislav
2011-03-08, 11:47 PM
The professor's second squirt of acid affects the lock greatly. It's almost ready to give way. One more of those, or a solid sword blow, and it'll break for sure!

The two dogs, goaded by the guards and having smelled (and tasted) blood, pounce on Edward and Fonkin. The Paladin sidesteps the attack, while the uncle swats the canine away with his shield.

H1 vs. Edward [roll0] dmg [roll1]
H2 vs. Fonkin [roll2] dmg [roll3]

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
4| | |KK|KK|G2| | | | | | |
6| | | |H1|Ed| | |Br| | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Initiative order:
Guards 16

Fonkin 13

Prof. Biles 10

Edward 10

Dogs 6

Brenda 5

It is now Brenda's turn

HappyBlanket
2011-03-09, 03:55 AM
Grinning expectantly, Brenda continues her livid barrage against the melted lock, swinging with abandon as she makes yet another furious blow against her target. Her swing is wild, and clearly much more destructive than her previous attempts.

If the lock breaks:
Brenda snarls triumphantly as her impact knocks back the gate's doors, watching the thoroughly ruined lock fall to the ground. She casts a glance to the two guards further in, her side throbbing with the pain of a crossbow bolt. She swears silently to herself, eager to return it's favor.

"Miss me?" she smirks, walking heedlessly into their midst.

Standard: Power Attack H5
If lock breaks:
Move: Move to F4

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 07:06 AM
Brenda puts all her heart in this strike, and it shows - the lock is smashed to pieces, and the gate swings open, allowing her to walk in. Cursing, both drop their crossbows, draw their maces and attack! Stupid girl, we're going to beat you up so hard your children will have a black eye!

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] Both indeed strike hard, seem to be more handy with the mace than with the crossbow, almost making Brenda wish she hadn't waded in there (or maybe not, for who knows what's in a sister's heart?). Anyway, she's barely able to duck their blows.

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
4| | |KK|KK|G2|Br| | | | | |
5|==|==|ss|==|==|==| | |==|==|==|==
6| | | |H1|Ed| | | | |Bi| |
7| | | |H2|Fo| | | | | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Initiative order:
Guards 16

Fonkin 13

Prof. Biles 10

Edward 10

Dogs 6

Brenda 5

Fonkin's, Biles' and Edward's turn

Chained Birds
2011-03-09, 11:30 AM
Edward

He notices Brenda and tries to resist the urge to protect her as she is a very prideful person,

"Show them how a castle fights Brenda!"

With that, he decides to bring down the bashing on the hound before him.

Standard Action: attack H1
- attack:[roll0]

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-09, 12:16 PM
"Hold on, we'll be right there!" Fonkin yells, as he makes another swing at the hound.

Attack H2

Sinfonian
2011-03-09, 01:11 PM
The Professor is unsurprised to see that Brenda just ran straight into a situation where she is outnumbered and probably tactically disadvantaged. He sighs and shakes his head slightly. He takes a step forward, to be sure that he doesn't accidentally strike the fence with his spell. A larger sphere of acid roils from his fingertips as he finishes the spell, and as it strikes toward its target, it lets off noxious fumes that form into a small cloud in the area.
Move forward to I6. He casts Lesser Orb of Acid at the guard in F3.
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0] (I think I take a -4 for firing into melee)
Damage: [roll1] acid
Whether or not the acid actually strikes the target, Cloudy Conjuration causes a 5ft radius cloud of smoke in F2. The guard is sickened while he is in the cloud. Moving out ends being sickened. It will last for one round.

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 01:22 PM
Our heroes are getting especially unlucky in their attacks, or maybe their enemies are lucky? Edward merely grazes the fur of one of the dogs, the other evades Fonkin with ease, and the old teacher's glob of acid flies wide. Apparently, attacking a lock is easier than a live target.

The dogs snarl and go for the throat; Fonkin is bitten again, and is feeling badly wounded, blood gushing from several cuts on his body.

vs. Fonkin [roll0] damage [roll1] <--- 6 damage
vs. Edward [roll2] damage [roll3]

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | |CC| | | | | |
4| | |KK|KK|G2|Br| | | | | |
6| | | |H1|Ed| | | |Bi| | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

CC = cloud of smoke (sickens within 5' radius)

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

Initiative order:
Guards 16

Fonkin 13

Prof. Biles 10

Edward 10

Dogs 6

Brenda 5

Brenda's turn

HappyBlanket
2011-03-09, 04:56 PM
Brenda grins proudly at her Uncle's encouragement, oblivious to exactly how close she came to a thorough and potentially life ending beating. Fury continuing to fog her mind, her thoughts remained dim and hazy as she relished in the skirmish.

With an inarticulate and decidedly primal grunt, she roughly plows an elbow into one guard's chest, launching herself in his direction with a brutish thrash with little regard for the swing of the maces.

Standard Action: Bull Rush guard in F3 to F2.
Strength Check [roll0]
If successful:
Move: To L3.

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 05:01 PM
target's AoO [roll0] dmg [roll1]
other guard's AoO [roll2] dmg [roll3], 25% chance of mishap [roll4]

and target's opposed STR check [roll5]

Ok, that was hysterical. The guard you bull-rushed smacks you for 5 damage, the other guard smacks his ally for 4 damage, and finally, the defender rolls a nat-20 on his opposed checks and stops you. I mean, honestly, given the stuff that took place so far in the fight, it would be foolish to expect anything else :smallbiggrin:

No, wait, he doesn't stop you. Sickened. Bull rush succeeded, woohoo!

Chained Birds
2011-03-09, 05:15 PM
Edward

Sighing heavily after seeing his niece get countered to efficiently,

"And people wonder why I take time out of my un-life to help the family out every year... Brenda, if you need your dear uncle's help, just ask and I'll give you a hand."

Attacking the dog again, Edward prepares himself for an accelerated aid.

Standard Action: attack same hound
Move Action: 5ft step to the right (on the map)

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 05:25 PM
As Brenda tries to push one of the guards into the black cloud, he smacks her over the head with a mace, but the other guard, trying to help, mis-swings and hits his own ally!

Geordie, you idiot, what are you doing? The guard yells, loses his concentration and his footing, and is pushed back into the center of the cloud. Brenda then escapes some distance away her foes.

Before they can consider their options, something else happens. Whoosh, whoosh. Two arrows fly out of the darkness in the direction of the dog attacking the Paladin. One of them hits, causing the canine to whimper in pain.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]
[roll2] dmg [roll3]

Anyone who takes the time to seek the source of the arrows, will find a hooded humanoid figure with a bow about 30' south of Fonkin (outside the map).

The guards bark brief commands at each other, and one charges Brenda, smacking her soundly, while the other, having now a clear path to the Professor, charges him, but the old teacher is able to sidestep the charge with surprising agility.

Brenda [roll4] dmg [roll5]
Prof. [roll6] dmg [roll7]

[[Edward went out of turn. No harm, since he missed anyway. It is Fonkin's and Biles' turn. I'll edit the map into this post in a moment done]]

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK| | | | | | |G2|Br
5|==|==|ss|==|==|==| |G1|==|==|==|==
6| | | |H1|Ed| | | |Bi| | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

CC = cloud of smoke (sickens within 5' radius)

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-09, 08:34 PM
Fonkin looked to the left to see who was suddenly aiding them in their fight. He was unable to identify the tall figure, so he returned his attention to the dog. He would have to thank the strange person when he was done.

Sinfonian
2011-03-09, 09:08 PM
Professor Biles is now remembering some of why he didn't much care for life on the road. His knees didn't particularly care for the motion of that sidestep. He decides that he should put up some kind of defense between himself and this hooligan. He takes a quick step away, and calls into being a layer of force around himself. Curiously, the spell emits similar vapors as the acid globule before, making those within it feel ill.

Biles takes a 5 foot step backward (into J6) and casts mage armor on himself. He uses that to invoke the power of the Cloudy Conjuration feat, centering the cloud on the space in front of him (I6). Both he and the guard are sickened for 1 round, or until they leave the area of the cloud.

Vladislav
2011-03-09, 09:19 PM
The dog in front of Fonkin, injured twice, whimpers in pain and for a moment it look like it's almost ready to start retreating. Batter, Mangle, hold your ground! Go for the throat! one of the guards screams at the dogs. This has the appropriate effect, and the retreating dog's attention snaps back to the fight. He and his pal attack the Undead and the Paladin.

vs. Fonkin [roll0] dmg [roll1]
vs. Edward [roll2] dmg [roll3]

However, the unlikely duo weathers this wave of attack unharmed.

It is Brenda's turn.

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK| | | | | | |G2|Br
5|==|==|ss|==|==|==| |G1|==|==|==|==
6| | | |H1|Ed| | | |CC|Bi| |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |
9| | | | | | | | | | | |
11| | | | | | | | | | | |
12| | | | | | | | | | | |
13| | | | | | | | | | | |
14| | | | |MA| | | | | | |[/table]

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

CC = smoke cloud (sickens in 5' radius and provides concealment)

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

MA = mysterious archer

HappyBlanket
2011-03-10, 04:21 AM
Having managed to stumble away as hastily as she possibly could, for a moment it appeared as if Brenda's mind had finally stopped to consider the full extent of her injuries. The crossbow bolt remained in her bloody side, and she felt her shoulder bloodied and bruised. A trickle of crimson trailed down her leg. A tiny but surprisingly vocal voice in the back of head (either her survival instincts or what mostly passed for a brain) told her repeatedly that she needed to run. That she was far too injured, and that she needed desperately to avoid fighting in any way. Her haphazard limp away from combat was an act from this line of thought, but a charging guard was kind enough to inform her that such was easier said than done. Another wound to add to her collection.

If there is something blocking movement to the East(?)/to Brenda's right (on map).
Her side aches and bleeds, and her mind desperately seeks out refuge. It finds none. She had escaped briefly, yes, but it seems it was only to drive further herself into a corner. True, withdrawal was still an option, but it remained a poor one. Many of her paths would surely result in a sound hit from the guard's steel, and the only one that didn't was not much better. Her newest wound was evidence enough to tell her escape was not a condition she would have for long.

Repeating the same action she had become so accustomed to, her blade raises once more, brutally swinging at the guard with reckless abandon. She grudgingly submits to the inevitability of her defeat, a not inconsequential part of her mind hoping it wouldn't be Edward who first came to "fix" her.

Standard Action: Power Attack.
Attack: [roll0] (guard takes -2 to AC for charging)
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

If there is room to move a ludicrous amount of room to Brenda's right (on map)
Throbs of pain course over her skin, genuinely frightening her. Her mind directs her to a spot away from the battle, a refuge for at least a brief moment.
Cursing her weakness, Brenda disengages from her pursuer, thoroughly disappointed with herself as she flees.

Full Round Action: Withdraw. Diagonal move to M2, then continue moving at double speed to X2. If moving to X2 is not possible, run as far right as possible, then expend movement North (assuming North is top of the map).

Vladislav
2011-03-10, 09:41 AM
Seeing nothing but a pile of large crates behind her, Brenda has nowhere to retreat. She decides to stand and fight back, and, possibly to her surprise, it works - her powerful smite catches the guard across the chest, cutting a deep gash, possibly breaking some ribs, and sends him for a close encounter with the ground.

The other guard, caught in a cloud of smoke, coughing and heaving, is slow to notice his partner's demise. His attention is focused on the Professor. He takes a step forward and swings his mace. Alas, it's very hard to hit anything in that smoke ...

[roll0] dmg [roll1] miss chance [roll2] (Sickened condition taken into account)

Vladislav
2011-03-10, 09:44 AM
At the same time, the hooded figure advances a step, and releases two more arrows. One of them hits the wounded dog and finally downs him.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]
[roll2] dmg [roll3]

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK| | | | | | | |Br
6| | | |H1|Ed| | | |G1|Bi| |
7| | | | |Fo| | | | | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |
9| | | | | | | | | | | |
13| | | | |MA| | | | | | |
14| | | | | | | | | | | |[/table]

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

MA = mysterious archer

Fonkin, Edward and Biles are up.

Sinfonian
2011-03-10, 10:11 AM
Having gotten a brief reprieve as well as a measure of protection from the cloud of smoke, he now has to contend with it as a troublesome thing himself. He again launches a glob of acid toward the guard in front of him. After he does so, the cloud disperses and the air is again clear.
Using Acidic Splatter again.
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0] (sickened accounted for)
Miss chance: [roll2] 1 = miss

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-10, 11:00 AM
Fonkin let out out small sigh of relief, glad to see that the vicious dog had finally been stopped. He turned to Edward, saying, "Let's take care of this dog quickly, Brenda seems to be badly wounded." With that, he swung his pick at the second hound.

Chained Birds
2011-03-10, 11:04 AM
Edward

"You did well dear Brenda, rest up for a bit but be alert."

Edward takes his attention away from the agile canine in favor of dealing with the guard. He charges the guard from behind in hopes of taking him by surprise.

Full Round Action: Charge G1 (+2 flank/+2 charge/-2 AC)
- Move to H6

Vladislav
2011-03-10, 11:58 AM
Fonkin plants the tip of his pick firmly in the dog's side, illiciting a steam of blood and a yelp of pain.

The Professor throws a glob of acid at the guard. Aaaahhhh! My face!! The man screams, clutching to his dismantling skin.

As Edward charges, he turns his back to the dog, and the latter uses the opportunity to bite his back, but to no effect. [[AoO]]

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

The injured canine, having seen his partner just fall, then retreats slowly in the direction of the kennel, away from Fonkin, baring its teeth. [[5' step back and Total Defense]]

map:

1| | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | |
3| | |KK|KK| | | | | | | |Br
6| | |H1| | | | |Ed|G1| |Bi|
7| | | | |Fo| | | | | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | |
9| | | | | | | | | | | |
13| | | | |MA| | | | | | |
14| | | | | | | | | | | |[/table]

KK = dog kennel.

H1, H2 = Hounds

Ed, Br, Bi and Fo = PCs

MA = mysterious archer

It is Brenda's turn.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-10, 04:18 PM
Miraculously triumphant, Brenda takes a breath of relief as the guard falls. She doesn't sheath her blade, but chooses wisely not to engage in any further combat.

A part of her wants to confront the archer in the distance, but she's far too wounded to risk closer movement to the remaining guard. She holds her ground, but keeps her sword unsheathed. Her eyes watch for any potential threats.

Standard: Total Defense

Vladislav
2011-03-10, 04:35 PM
The mysterious archer takes another step forward, and sends another arrow in the direction of the badly injured guard, piercing his side and sending him down in a pool of blood. The last remaining hound, still growling, retreats into his kennel, where he puts to use the metaphore "howls like a beaten dog".

With all resistance vanquished, Peter Brehm, no longer the mysterious archer, removes his hood and approaches you. What are you people doing here? And what in all hells happened to Marybeth?

Chained Birds
2011-03-10, 04:46 PM
Edward

"...hmm, do I know you? My memory is a little selective sometimes."

He walks up to Brenda and gives her a heavy pat on the back. The pat actually shoots a burst of positive energy into Brenda's body.

"Good show, just like a Castle. Hope that makes you feel better."

Action: cure light wounds (Twinned) [roll0]

HappyBlanket
2011-03-10, 06:18 PM
Brenda thanks Edward, removing the bolt as her wounds healed, the red somewhat fading and the pain subsiding. Sheathing her sword, she directs her gaze at the approaching Peter, who she glares at irritably. Her face contorts noticeably, and she moves away from him as he approaches.

"He's nobody." she tells Edward snottily, looking back to the inner area of the docks and away from him. The groom's most recent endeavor was apparently of no consequence to her; she hated him on principal.

Vladislav
2011-03-11, 09:44 AM
Sir, the newcomer addresses Edward, wincing visibly, I'm Peter Brehm, Marybeth's fiancee. We've just been introduced at the reception, don't you remember?

He looks around again. Why have the four of you snuck out of the reception here, and what happened to Marybeth?

Chained Birds
2011-03-11, 10:30 AM
Edward

Edward seems a bit confused but suddenly has a moment of realization,

"Ho, Now I remember; didn't recognize you with that secretive appearance.
Concerning Marybeth and why we are here, hopefully we'll find the answer to at least one of those questions sometime soon. I must thank you for your current aid, but your further aid will be unnecessary. Go back to Willem and wait for we brave, we few knights, to return you your maiden."

He takes out his shovel and starts digging a hole near the fence.

Action: dig hole with shovel at J7
- Strength check: [roll0]

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-11, 10:57 AM
Fonkin walked over to Peter and the others, stopping to talk quickly. "Peter, thank you for your help. I don't know what issue they have with you, but I'll try to explain in just a minute." With that, he walked quickly off toward the guards. He bent over the first one, trying to assess how badly he was injured.

Vladislav
2011-03-11, 11:25 AM
While Fonkin stabilizes the guards, Peter turns away from Edward somewhere between the words "thank" and "you". The rest of the phrase is therefore lost at no one in particular, as Peter is busy equipping himself with a mace and surveying the ground.

DM [roll0]

I tracked the carriage here. He finally says. It continued past the gate in that direction. He points toward two storage hangars by the shoreline, and a pier protruding into the sea between them.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-11, 07:59 PM
Once he was finished stabilizing the guards, Fonkin walked back over to Peter and the others. As he walked, he placed his hand on his neck and muttered a few words. Wounds from fighting the dogs quickly closed, though not all of them.
Lay on Hands: 8 hp

"There, they should hold up until help arrives. Speaking of which, we should get going. Peter, you said the carriage went that way, correct?" He points in the general direction of the storage hangars.

Sinfonian
2011-03-11, 11:24 PM
The Professor nods to the newly arrived groom-to-be, acknowledging his arrival. "I'd thank you for the help, but we can do all that talking later. Let's get moving before someone sees us or these guards and raises an alarm. The quicker we move, the sooner we can get Marybeth back to the house and out of harm's way." He takes a few slightly unsteady strides at first, knowing that he'll be feeling this for days. Regardless, he begins heading toward the buildings indicated by Peter.

Vladislav
2011-03-12, 12:28 AM
The group advances toward the two buildings, which are about five hundred paces away. The docks, true to the guards' words, are empty and deserted this time of night. You come across a patch of muddy ground, where recently-made tracks of a carriage are well-visible. Several ships, visible only as dark sleepy silhoettes, are moored by their piers, their masts swaying to the rhythm of the waves.

About halfway to your destination, you see a ship is also moored by the pier toward which you're going, but this one has its navigation lights on (you didn't see it before because one of the buildings was in the way). Several small figures of sailors are running around the deck, raising ladders and casting off lines. Looks like the ship's about to sail.

Chained Birds
2011-03-12, 12:37 AM
Edward (ninja'd = actions made before DM's post)

"Yes, yes, I'm coming. If the guards are not dead, then a shallow grave is quite useless..."

Edward places the unconscious men into a ditch after removing most of their clothing. Aka: looting and placing the unruly gentlemen is a compromising position.

"Ho, ho, Now no one will want to question these two."

Waits for all his allies to pass through the gate, he closes the gate and holds the remains of the destroyed lock where it should be positioned; then he casts a mending spell over the device. Afterward, he hurries he way back to join the group.
Strength check: move bodies to shallow ditch
- [roll0]
Search Check: brief search and looting
- [roll1]

casting mending on lock

HappyBlanket
2011-03-12, 07:06 AM
Brenda gave Edward a particularly concerned look as he began to dig his graves, and again when he creatively placed the guards within. Deciding it best not to dwell on his inspiration, she instead decided to regroup with the others, making a rather flagrant show out of staying as far away from Peter as feasibly possible.

Noticing the ship, Brenda whispers to the group at large.
"Didn't the guards say that the docks were closed?" she asked, her question wholly unnecessary (the guards had recently and thoroughly informed them of such).

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-13, 06:25 PM
"Yes, they did," Fonkin said back quietly. He looked at the mysterious vessel, setting sail at such a late hour. "I wonder who that ship belongs to?"

Sinfonian
2011-03-14, 10:41 PM
The Professor looks at the ship to see if it bears any markings which he might recognize from his long studies into current and past events in and around the city.

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]
and just in case it helps,
Knowledge (History): [roll1]

Vladislav
2011-03-14, 10:52 PM
The Professor recognizes that ...
The ship bears no markings, but the profile is typical profile for a Toldur three-mast caravelle, ideal for coastal navigation or island-hopping. A similar ship was captured by the Galadorn navy twenty years ago in one of the many wars with Toldur and serves as a floating museum. Such a ship could belong to the official Toldur navy or a high-ranked noble.

Sinfonian
2011-03-14, 11:05 PM
"It seems that ship means one of two things. Either someone important in Toldur has a gripe with the Castle family, or a noble has chosen to flex his power to take control of a museum. Either way, we should act quickly. I'm open to suggestions."

Chained Birds
2011-03-14, 11:22 PM
Edward

"There is always the method of just talking to them and finding out what they know. It just so happens I commandeered these guard clothe from a while ago. But I'm too large for this wardrobe, nor do I fit the gruff appearance of a guard."

Edward takes out a bundle of clothing he "acquired" before he left the gate.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-14, 11:56 PM
"A museum?" asked Brenda, confused.
"Well, Father does a lot of trading with Toldur imports." she mentioned, her fingers flexing on the hilt of her sword (previously one of Willem's wares).

She looked back to the ship, bending her neck to see the high mast.
"Maybe we should find out what they're here for?" suggested Brenda, wondering to herself if she'd be seen moving closer to the ship.

Chained Birds
2011-03-15, 07:35 PM
Edward

"Might as well checks things out. You only live once."

Edward walks cautiously towards the barge, and tries to grave the attention of any of the sailors.

"Excuse me gentlemen! Have any of you seen a carriage and a young girl around here?"

Diplomacy check: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-15, 08:58 PM
Two sailors are busy untying the lines connecting the ship to the pier, while several more are climbing the rigging unfurling the sails. Their uniforms are generic striped sailor shirts, with no distinguishing marks. A midshipman on deck barks out brief commands. The two men next to Edward give him a look as he speaks, then give each other a look.

Nifiga ne ponel.

One of them says in the Toldurian language, which Edward doesn't understand. They return to their work.

[[OOC: Edward needs to make a spot check please]]

Chained Birds
2011-03-15, 10:10 PM
Edward

"Ho, I'm sorry, but is there anyone here that actually speaks [insert name for common]? The guards did say it was alright for me to come in a search for my little niece and all."

Bluff: [roll0]

A blatant lie, Edward is till on his guard noticing that the sailors seem to be avoiding him for some reason.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-15, 10:58 PM
"This isn't getting anywhere." impatiently comments Brenda, stepping out of the shelter gifted by shadow and warehouse with little heed for any warning protests.

She relocates the muddy earth, then walks past it, closing distance to the ship. Her pace slows to a near halt, and her eyes inspect a patch of ground ten feet from the mud, searching for any traces of the carriage.

Search: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-16, 09:22 AM
The sailors shake their heads at Edward. They either don't understand what he's saying, or are doing a very good job of pretending not to. The appearance of Brenda from the shadows has a different effect. Noticing her checking the ground, the midshipman barks some frantic commands, and the sailors on deck grab axes and, not waiting for the lines to be untied, simply begin cutting them off. Sails are completely unfurled, and the two sailors next to Edward head back to the ship.

Chained Birds
2011-03-16, 12:44 PM
Edward

"Hold on there 'fella."

Edward shoots out spell at one of the guards, and proceeds to give chase the other as best as he can.

Standard Action: cast inhibit on 1 of the sailors running away
- DC 14 will save: subject delays his/her action til Edward's next turn.
Move Action: give chase the other
- 20ft

Vladislav
2011-03-17, 10:18 AM
Surprise round:

Edward casts his spell, causing one of the sailors to stop for a while and consider his options. He then moves closer to the other.

Round 1:

It is the PCs turn. Go for it.

Sinfonian
2011-03-17, 03:04 PM
Reacting quickly to the commencement of hostilities, the Professor moves ahead into position. He mutters "Here we go again! Another situation so quickly devolved into violence. Talking never works..." He hadn't seen so much aggression since the Bridgeworth twins, 2 decades before...he shudders at the memory of those raucous troublemakers.

Once in position to better launch a spell (or when he runs out of movement left), he casts a spell to disable as much of the crew as he can. Hopefully, that would stop them from casting off so quickly. A burst of golden dust blasts forth from a spot on the deck, interfering with the sight of several members of the crew.He will advance in Edward's direction 30 ft (hard to tell exactly from the map where he'll end up). Either way, he should be well within range (150 ft) to cast glitterdust on square H5. That should catch the midshipman, S4, and S5. Each needs to make a DC 17 Will save or be blinded for 5 rounds.

Vladislav
2011-03-17, 03:13 PM
Three men on deck are hit by the glittering cloud. They wave their hands, trying to swat some of the dust off, but the tingling sensation in their retinae is too intense, and they have no choice but close their eyes for the time being.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-17, 03:24 PM
Fonkin

Fonkin groaned as he watched the sailors run for the ship. "Not again," he mumbled. Seeing that they apparently needed to get to the ship, he started running as fast as his short legs and heavy armor would allow.

Full action: Run (45 ft) to F7 (bottom right) on large map

Peter

Following a logic similar to Fonkin's, Peter walked quickly and deliberately toward the pier, easily outpacing the gnome. As he neared the shoreline, he pulled out his bow. He wasn't certain that this ship had anything to do with Marybeth's disappearance, but he was ready to use more than gentle force to find out.

2 Move actions, moving to F7 (top left corner) on large map, draw longbow during second move

HappyBlanket
2011-03-17, 04:30 PM
"Ah! Damn it!" exclaims Brenda, cursing the ship as Fonkin and Peter approach from beyond the warehouse. She vigorously tears forth onto the pier, her feet beating upon damp wood as her hands fly to the scabbard lain across her back, ripping from it the steel of her blade. With an infuriated cry, she bolts down the pier and towards the ship.

Move: Diagonal move to F7, bottom right corner (5 feet), then straight to 10ft deep into F6. (Large Map).
Free Action: Draw Bastard Sword.
Move: Move to F5, top right corner. (Large Map)

Chained Birds
2011-03-17, 04:54 PM
Edward

"As always, Starting fights for no real reason; that's the way of the Castle."

Edward attacks the sailor in front of him, and proceeds to move forward if the sailor moves.

Standard Action: attack sailor [S2]
- crit confirm (20): [roll2]
Move Action: move onto the deck of the ship if guard moves from his position

Vladislav
2011-03-17, 11:26 PM
* Biles approaches and casts his spell, blinding three of the men on deck.

* Brenda, Fonkin and Peter close the distance to the best of their ability.

* Uncle Edward, with a fearsome swing of his mace, smashes the head of the sailor in front of him like a watermelon, splattering brain matter everywhere. He then tramples the fallen body, moving through the walkway on deck. From his vantage point, he sees a door [], opening to the interior of the ship.

+ Two sailors, S3/S4 hack at the lines with their handaxes. While S3 manages to cut his, S4 only cuts his line partially. The fact he's blind doesn't help, of course.

+ S1, declining to pass anywhere near Edward, tries to bridge the 10' gap to the ship with a jump. Having no running start, this will be difficult... Jump check DC 20 [roll0], if fails by 5 or less, can still hold on with a Reflex save [roll1] he somehow manages to hold on to the side of the ship, and climbs on deck.

+ S6 throws a dagger at Edward, and misses badly.
[roll2] dmg [roll3]

+ S5 and the officer, despite their blindness, draw their cutlasses and attempt to attack Edward, but achieve nothing except wildly flailing around.
[roll4] dmg [roll5]
[roll6] dmg [roll7]

+ The ship, only held by a single line, starts to drift away from the pier. Well, at least its left end does drift for about 10'. The right end is still moored. The central part therefore drifts by 5', causing the walkway to fall into the gap.

+ From the above-mentioned door, Edward sees ... a pool of light ... emerge. Yes, he can only see a flickering light, and nothing else. The light flies up to him, and delivers a very light touch, followed by, unfortunately, a very hard electrical shock. [B]Edward takes 11 damage.

+ From the same door, emerges a man, tall and well-dressed, dark hair, dark complection. He surveys the carnage that's beginning to develop on board.

[[to be continued. I want to see if Edward is down before I resolve the rest of the turn]]

Vladislav
2011-03-17, 11:32 PM
Seeing Edward's mace still stained in the sailor's blood, he decides to end this. From his outstretched hand, five bolts of energy fly, tearing Edward's body.

Edward only
You take [roll0] damage. However, strangely enough, you find the pain ... invigorating? You gain 5 temporary hit points.

The others see Edward go down to the brutal hail of magical power. The man addresses you, Why did you come here and kill my men? Leave, before your fate will be as his.

It is the PCs turn again.

Sinfonian
2011-03-18, 02:15 AM
In case Biles could see the spell that was cast:
Spellcraft to identify: [roll0]

Professor Biles sees Edward go down and is concerned about what exactly has happened here. He holds his action, waiting for something further to happen to make a decision on what to do next. He is no less committed to the goal of recovering Marybeth, but he is given pause as to whether it is doable via this course of action just now.

Vladislav
2011-03-18, 10:36 AM
Professor Biles ...
Recognizes the spell as Magic Missile, a simple evocation taught to first-year students. This one, however, looks like it was enhanced with a metamagic feat, although he can't quite tell which one

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-18, 01:34 PM
Seeing Edward fall to the mage, Fonkin continues running toward the ship, breathing heavily, while Peter picks up his pace and breaks into a sprint. He stops just as he reaches the edge of the pier, seeing that the ship had begun to drift away. "Where is Marybeth!?" he yells.

Fonkin: full action: run diagonal to bottom left of e6 on large map, then to mid-low right of e5 (large map)
Peter: full action: run to f8 of small map

HappyBlanket
2011-03-18, 03:23 PM
Brenda had run unerringly to the ship, halting only for the bolt of arcane might that had so coldly lit the deck. The paused shadows of those present burst wide over the pier's surface, framed by the horrific flash in the dark night. The dark haired mage did not so much as pause before sending forth yet another series of strikes, followed shortly by a dull thud upon the ship's deck. The man turns to those still on the pier, the whites of his eyes framed terribly in his dark skin.

A sudden chill rippled over Brenda's back, her uncooperative knees beginning to lock beneath her. A resilient pull within her skull was speaking; it told her to run. It told her to fear. It told her that she would not, could not, survive such a spell. But a pull in her chest told her of Marybeth.

Her hands tightened around her sword for support, and she inhaled deeply.

"Who are you! Where is Marybeth! Where is my sister?" she snarled loudly, her questions shooting one after another. Her knees remained frozen below her, shackled by fear.

Full Round Action: Run 60ft North, 20 feet from the right edge of the pier.

Vladislav
2011-03-18, 04:15 PM
The man bows politely to Brenda and Peter. Marybeth is safe, you have nothing to fear for her. You, however, most certainly are not. Your friend here has murdered a man of my crue, and I have full right to exact justice on you. I therefore ask you to leave peacefully, once and only once.

[[ooc: will wait a bit to give Sinfonian a chance to post an action; if he chooses to delay yet, we'll proceed with the turn]]

Sinfonian
2011-03-18, 04:30 PM
The Professor continues to hold his action, pending some further aggressive action by any party. He knows that the group is pretty heavily outmatched by this mage, and doesn't have any plans which can affect the outcome of this particular situation. He says to the others through gritted teeth, "I hate to my bones to say this, but we may have to come at this another way. We should take his offer. We'll go after Marybeth later."

Vladislav
2011-03-18, 05:53 PM
* From their vantage point near the ship, both Peter and Brenda note a small black winged creature on deck. Its wings beat rapidly as it hovers in the air just above the spot where Edward fell, and its talons are glistening ominously in the moonlight.

* The blind sailor hacks at the rope again, and yet again fails to cut through it, sticking his axe in the deck.

In the name of Azarath, must I do everything myself? The tall man bellows, as he casts another spell. A ball of roaring flame is created to the right of Peter and Brenda, spewing them with breath of intense heat. This incinerates the rope completely and frees the ship, and additionally chars a good chunk of the pier. With the sails completely unfurled, the ship accelerates slightly, and moves 20' away this time.

The man, as well as the flying critter, move to take cover behind the mast.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-19, 01:54 PM
The heat of the flames washed over Brenda, and she braced herself against the scorching air as the pier blackened with soot. When she looked back to the ship, it had drifted further, sending it out to sea with Edward still on it. Her eyes lay fleetingly on the mass of sailors surrounding her uncle, accompanied by the mage, who stood in their midst.

She thought her head was trying to say something again.

"Cover me!" she yelled back, already running forward to the pier's end. With a great leap she threw herself over the chasm between the charred wood and the ship, her teeth bared in primal vigor.

Jump DC20
[roll0]

She successfully lands on the ship's deck, already setting her eyes to the center of the boat, focusing on Edward. Circling away from a nearby sailor, she runs to his side, half of her attention on the waters below.
Move: Move to J8, jump 20ft.
Move: Finish jump in J6 (relative to boat). Diagonal move to I5, then straight to G5.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-19, 02:21 PM
Peter

Peter raised his arm, shielding his face against the intense heat of the flames.
"Right!" Peter yelled back to Brenda as she leaped across the water. He nocked an arrow on his bowstring and drew back. Seeing that the sailors on deck were still bumbling around blind, he aimed at the wizard, preparing to shoot if he moved to stop Brenda.

Standard Action: Ready to shoot at wizard if he attempts to cast a spell

Fonkin

Fonkin continued running up the docks, coming up behind the rest of the group.
Full Action: Run to F14 on small map.

Vladislav
2011-03-19, 02:57 PM
[[I assume Prof. Biles is delaying again. If he does something to affect this, I'll adjust retroactively]]

Brenda makes the flying leap onto the deck. The momentum of her move carries her past the still-blind soldiers, flailing their cultasses ineffectually, and close to where her great-great-uncle fell. The man behind the mast addresses her with contempt in his voice, but some veiled admiration can also be sensed. The tiny flying creature she glimped before is now nowhere to be seen.

So, you must be the crazy sister. Anyway, you're too late for him. He nods at Edward. He's not breathing, I think I accidentally killed him. No one can blame me though, he initiated hostilities first.

He continues, If you want to retrieve the body, I can donate a lifeboat for that purpose. But his armor, I will keep, for restitution to the victim's family. If you accept these terms, drop your weapon. It will be returned to you once you're on the lifeboat. Otherwise, I will be forced into further confrontation.

He readies the casting of another spell, but Brenda senses he is reluctant to harm her. The ship keeps drifting further.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-19, 04:11 PM
Brenda dives to the ground as she nears Edward, slipping her hands beneath his armpits with a grunt. She roughly drags him up onto the ship's edge, his body slumping over the railings unceremoniously as the man addresses Brenda. One of her feet is already mounted onto the safety fence, her left hand holding her sword and the other clutching the back of Edward's robes.

"Tempting offer." Brenda says to the man, looking over her shoulder to face him. She sheaths her weapon into it's leather scabbard, then looks back at the sea beneath her; ten feet beneath her, and not at all lacking in ferocity. "Alternatively."

Moments later, a limp mass fell to the waters.

Move: Move to Edward's square.
Free: Sheath Bastard Sword
Standard: Shove Edward off the boat.

Vladislav
2011-03-20, 08:11 PM
He doesn't like Brenda's defiance at all. He's starting to cast a spell ... at which point Peter lets loose an arrow; it's a good shot, and would have no doubt find its target if it wasn't for the blasted mast that got in the way.

by golly, missed by 1

Stupid child, have you and your friends no decency? You'd rather drown him than let a poor widow have a pension? Fine, be that way.

The man completes his spell, and five bolts of magic rake Brenda's body. [roll0]. Doesn't look like he has his heart into it, though. Could have done a lot better. Or worse, depending how you look at it.

To Professor Biles, it seems
there were no metamagic feats attached this time

And of course, the ship drifts further, its speed now 25' per round. It had also turned slightly, to a 45 degree angle relative to the pier.

Sinfonian
2011-03-20, 09:54 PM
Professor Biles shouts to Brenda to move quickly, "He might just be toying with you! Just get out of there!" Not that she would have planned on staying (though she had acted quite rashly before...), but out of not having anything else he can do to help her. Except just one thing, he can try to at least give him something slightly different to think about...
As the boat moves away, Biles casts acid arrow at the mage.
Ranged touch attack: [roll0]

And in case I forget later, if it hits it'll do another [roll2] acid damage next turn.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-20, 11:56 PM
Panting heavily, Fonkin finally approached the rest of his companions at the end of the pier, just in time to see Brenda fall to the mage's spell. "Brenda!' he yelled.
Double Move: move to G8
Turns out I don't have the standard action to use Detect Evil

Vladislav
2011-03-21, 08:42 AM
Brenda's fall prompted a commotion on deck. The tall man yelled a few commands, and the sailors, now free from the Glitterdust effect, grabbed the fallen warrior. While ducking the Acid Arrow, their leader yelled to the people huddled at the end of the pier, Don't anyone try anything else heroic. She's still alive, and will be returned.

The ship accelerated further, to a speed of 30' now. As the Professor can recall, the cruising speed for a ship of that type is 5 knots, or about 50'.

Vladislav
2011-03-21, 03:17 PM
So, I'm going to advance the plot a bit, in spoilers. If you don't take proactive action, just keep reading the spoilers as they unfold. If you want to do something, let me know at which point you stopped reading. You're on honor here.

The ship is now 100' away. You see Brenda being dragged below decks.

200' away, and reached full cruising speed, heading for the open sea.

At 500', a lifeboat is dropped.

The lifeboat proceeds to shore with great speed.

As it comes closer, you can see it's propelled by several large fish pushing it.

The ship is now 1000' away, and the lifeboat stops by the pier. The fish that were pushing it are gone. Inside the boat, lies Brenda, unconscious but alive. Her wounds were bandaged, and she is missing her Bastard Sword and studded leather armor.

Sinfonian
2011-03-21, 06:41 PM
The Professor's heart sinks as the ship sails off with both Brenda AND Marybeth. How could he ever see William again? He could think of nothing else, but to stand on the pier, helpless to do anything. When he sees the lifeboat coming toward the dock, he can't believe that the kidnappers were true to their promise to return this one (though privately he would have preferred for the other one to be the one to come back).

Even with Brenda back, mostly safe, he couldn't come back with only one of the three Castles he had been expected to return with. "I don't suppose either of you happen to have a long length of Rope?" He retrieves his everburning torch from his backpack and casts about the pier looking for some.

Sinfonian
2011-03-21, 07:11 PM
Spot checks: Professor: [roll0]
Caut: [roll1]

Vladislav
2011-03-21, 07:17 PM
The Professor notes a dark mass lying in the water to the left side of the pier. On closer inspection, it is revealed to be a carriage, driven off the pier and sunk in the water. The words "Manny & Sons Tranportation" are visible on the back.

As for rope, several coils of such are lying around. The closest one is the line that was previously cut from the ship, one end still tied to the pier.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-21, 08:33 PM
The start of this will be a bit earlier, when the boat just starts to sail off. That Detect Evil info needs to get IC somehow, dammit!
As Fonkin helplessly watched the ship begin to sail off, he briefly caught the eye of the wizard. As he did, he felt the nauseating sensation of evil pass through him, causing him to grimace in distaste.
When the lifeboat came back with Brenda still alive, he breathed a sigh of relief. "Well at least he keeps his word." He walks up, seeing that her wounds have been bandaged, then lays his hand on her, healing as much as he can.
Lay on Hands: 1hp
He turns and addresses Peter. "Could you help me get her out of this boat?" He gets into the boat, preparing to help lift her. "Then I'll need help getting out of this armor. We should go down and retrieve Edward. I think he's still ali... not dead."

Spot:
[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-21, 09:13 PM
Peter and Fonkin, with combined efforts, get Brenda out of the boat and onto the pier. As they do so, they find out the boat is for some reason littered with shards of glass, and they have to be careful not to cut their hands.

After Brenda was removed, Fonkin gives the boat one last look and discovers another object the doesn't belong. It's a ... bar of soap ... wrapped in paper. Very strange.

Brenda is gently set on the pier, still unconscious, breathing heavily. Her body took a great toll, but she'll live.

Sinfonian
2011-03-21, 10:32 PM
After making sure that Brenda is okay, the Professor explains his plan for the retrieval of Edward. The soap can wait for later. "I'm glad we've got her back, but we still need Edward. I hope he's still...okay after that, but at least he won't be getting any worse down there. Here's my suggestion, one of us takes my torch and a rope down to where he got dropped off and ties it to him. After that, we can just pull him up onto the dock and bring them both home where they can recover."

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-21, 11:12 PM
Fonkin idly sticks the bar of soap in his belt, then takes off his bags and weapons and begins removing his armor. "Sounds like a plan," he says.
After some time and help with his armor, he takes the rope and torch from Biles and stands at the edge of the pier. After a brief moment, he jumps off into the water.

Swim:
[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-22, 08:33 AM
[[ooc: good Swim roll!]]

With the Everburning Torch to illuminate his way, Fonkin manages to find Edward lying on the bottom, about 8' down. He ties the rope around Edward's waist just quickly enough to have enough air to come back up, heaving and gasping for breath. With combined forces, Fonkin, Biles and Peter pull Edward out onto the pier. He's lying there, next to the sailor he killed, both equally cold, motionless and breathless, but you can somehow feel the Uncle's spirit has not yet departed. It's quite spooky actually...

Sinfonian
2011-03-22, 05:40 PM
The Professor lightly prods the raven patiently sitting on his shoulder and addresses him in Draconic:"Go to Agatha. Quickly. Tell her there's been a problem and that we need for Castle to send us horses here at the docks as soon as possible. And before you ask: YES, you can grab a snack from the buffet, you'd only do it anyhow. But only after you've delivered the message."With that, the bird bobs its head quickly and takes wing into the night.

"That will get us some help in returning these two to a safe place. William will send horses and we can get these two back home safely. However, so long as we're waiting, we should see what all we can learn from this place while we're here."

He goes over and searches the body of the dead crewmember, looking for any clues. Since they have a while before help arrives, he takes as much time as necessary to locate anything that could help find out anything about these men. He uses 2 minutes to take 20 on the Search check for a 24.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-22, 07:29 PM
Fonkin nods. He joins Biles in his search for clues, taking a moment to carefully pick up a shard of glass from the boat, wrap it up, and place it in his bag.
Takes 20 on Search check, for 20
As he looks around, he remembers the feeling of looking at the mage again. The memory causes him to shudder again. "What could that man want with Marybeth?" he wonders aloud. "Whatever he says, I don't trust her safety with him. I can tell he is an evil man."

Vladislav
2011-03-22, 09:52 PM
The raven flies away into the night, detouring from its path only occasionally to chase a stray bat.

* The Professor finds the body is clad in a white-and-blue striped shirt, standard for Toldur sailors. The word Antonia is sewn into the collar with black thread. The few coins in his pockets ([roll0] gp, [roll1] sp and [roll2] cp) are also mostly Toldur money, minted with the dubious profile of King Phillip.

[[ooc: Gold is still gold, and silver is still silver. Albeit strange-looking, the coins are worth the same]]

* Fonkin finds out, searching the boat, that the shards of glass probably come from a flat sheet, possibly a window. There is a smudge of soap on one of the shards - maybe the window was broken by a bar of soap?

Not half an hour later, the cavalry arrives. Literally. Willem Castle, two of his servants, and a few spare horses gallop through the broken gate and onto the pier. What in the name of mercy happened here?

The raven also returns to perch on the Professor's shoulder. He seems happy, and full.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-22, 10:39 PM
Fonkin walks up to Willem, his head tilted back about as far as it will go. "Well for a start, the wedding will have to be postponed. Marybeth has been kidnapped. Her captors got away in a ship. We tried to retrieve her, and Edward and Brenda were both badly injured." He turns and gestures at the unconscious pair. "They need the attention of a healer."

Sinfonian
2011-03-22, 11:35 PM
The Professor gives his raven a quick pat out of thanks and turns to the newly arrived Willem. His tone is serious, but contrite. "What the paladin here says is true. We came here looking for Marybeth. We did what we could, but there was...much tougher resistance than we anticipated, and despite our best efforts, the ship got away. I believe there is strong evidence that Marybeth is alive and well, but first we need to properly care for your kin."

(Provided there's no immediate response, continue into the spoiler box, if there is, disregard):
He then helps the servants and Willem load the unconscious bodies onto the horses, before (if there's one for him) himself mounting. As they begin to return to the house, he addresses the clearly aggrieved man,
"I can fill you in on all the details on the way back to the house, but before we get to that, I need to know something. The evidence so far seems to point at Toldurians, led by a powerful mage. Have you any idea why they might have been after Marybeth? Have you or has she had any particular dealings with them?"

Vladislav
2011-03-23, 10:12 AM
Upon hearing the news of his kin, Willem jumps from his horse. He runs to Brenda and Edward, wringing his hands in despair. Only having made sure they are alive* does he regain at least a measure of his wits. The wounded are loaded on horses, and the sad procession sets out to back to the Castle residence. Along the way, Willem contemplates the Professor's question.

I have many dealings with them... Import, export, you know. And Marybeth, you know, she always had many suitors. Whoever would come into our house, would ooh and aah and "what a beautiful daughter you have". But you know, Marybeth, she would have none of that, her heart belongs to Peter. Gods know I have no idea why, but it does. I turned away three or four suitors the last month alone.

Amid this conversation, you arrive back at the Castle manor. The party had died down for obvious reasons, candles have been put out, music no longer playing, and all the guests left, except for one fat woman, who accosts you hysterically, screaming What happened to my daughter? Where is my girl? You recognize her as Justinia, the bridesmaid's mother.

Meanwhile, Willem orders the servants to open his emergency stash. Some potions are being poured into unconscious throats - don't worry, he knows his Uncle well enough to use the right potion - and Brenda and Edward regain consciousness.

* It's getting tiresome to type "haven't been destroyed" all the time with respect to Edward, so I'm just going with "alive". You know what I mean.

Chained Birds
2011-03-23, 01:57 PM
Edward

"Ouch, haven't had a moment like that in a while. Oh hi Willem, seems like so long has passed since we've seen each other, and it would appear you might not know what has happened to Marybeth. At least I can assure you we will be able to track her down fairly well if my small plan is still working.
By the way group, where did that dead sailor body go? I hope you haven't disposed of it yet."

Edward is not sure how much time has passed, but by the expression on Willem's face he probably hasn't learned too much.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-23, 03:50 PM
Brenda

She was looking at the incredulous face of the enemy, her smirk stretched wide across her cheeks, her eyes taunting him, mocking him. A single finger, that was until very recently wrapped around her uncle's robes, was unflinchingly lifted in a triumphant gesture at the sailors. Her knee tightened and she turned away to face the ocean be-

Thoroughly confused, Brenda blinks to consciousness, a Castle servant crouched over her. An empty vial is being held over head, the last drop hanging precariously on it's lip. Waving it away with an incoherently disgruntled mumble, Brenda gets to her feet uncomfortably, looking over herself; a few rips here and there, a few blood stains (her own), and the fading remnants of five bruises on her back. Her grumpy stupor is interrupted only by the creeping return of her memory and a dull stab of realization.

Marybeth was gone.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-23, 07:43 PM
Fonkin approaches the distressed woman, attempting to calm her down. "I'm sorry, miss," he says, "I presume you are the mother of the bridesmaid? I wish I could tell you differently, but your daughter has been kidnapped, along with Marybeth." Seeing the panic start to rise in her eyes, he quickly continues talking. "But don't worry, I'm fairly sure that they are unharmed, and we will get them back as quickly as possible. You have my word."

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 08:22 PM
The Professor waits a moment for the tension level to subside slightly, "Fonkin, I have a suspicion. If I'm right, then now might not be a bad time to look at what you recovered out of that lifeboat. I think it might be proof of life."

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-23, 08:38 PM
"You mean these?" He pulls the bar of soap and wrapped shard out glass out of his belt pouch. He hands the soap to Biles, and unwraps the glass.

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 09:34 PM
He takes the wrapped soap and removes it from the paper lining. "I might be wrong, but the soap may not be the important thing." He places the soap on the table and instead looks at the paper in which the bar had been wrapped, examining it for any sign of Marybeth. Should there be no sign there, he will sigh at his thought process having been incorrect, then examine the soap, similarly looking for marks.
Call for whatever checks might be appropriate.

Vladislav
2011-03-23, 09:44 PM
The paper is actually a hand-written note. It says:

Dear Marybeth,
I'm dreadfully sorry to do this to you on the day of your wedding, but I was called to the harbor on urgent business. I thought to be finished in ten minutes, but I slipped, fell and broke my arm. Please come and pick me up. Bring Deana with you, don't leave her there alone.

Dad

PS: If you didn't recognize the handwriting, it's because I have to write with my left hand.

There is also a single word scrawled hastily at the bottom with what appears to be a black eyeliner. The word is: HELP

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 09:57 PM
Can the Professor tell whether or not the scrawled bit on the back is anything like Marybeth's?
If necessary, here's a Forgery check to see if the Professor recognizes his student's handwriting at all:
[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-23, 10:05 PM
Having graded many of Marybeth's works, the professor believes the single word scrawled at the bottom definitely matches her handwriting.

Chained Birds
2011-03-23, 10:08 PM
Edward

"I'm really no good at investigation stuff. I need to concentrate more on getting my spells back to help Marybeth tomorrow."

Edward plops down onto the ground, shaking off any excess water he might have. Resting as best as an undead can, he waits till the morning where his spells can be prepared anew.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-23, 10:51 PM
Brenda is unusually quiet, standing passively to the side of the conglomeration with a dull stare in her eyes. Her fingers lay absently atop the table, occasionally fiddling with the soap with distracted tapping or absentminded rolling. She watches Edward collapse to the ground, remembering a very similar sight on the boat.

"...There was something else on the ship." she finally says, her free hand tugging at her sleeve anxiously, betraying her steadied voice.

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 10:57 PM
Biles breathes a heavy sigh of relief as he finally has something that shows that Marybeth is alive. He passes the note over to Willem, "This note is what convinced your daughter to leave so abruptly and go to the docks. That scrawl at the bottom, however, makes me hopeful. That means she is still alive. She saw them lowering the lifeboat down and got a message out. She's a clever girl.

We need to know more about these men before we can chase after them. I propose we allow Edward and Brenda to rest for the evening and go talk to the harbormaster tomorrow. There will su]rely be some information on that ship."

He looks puzzled as he turns to face Brenda, not verbally asking, but simply waiting for her to continue.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-23, 11:12 PM
"It had wings and talons." Brenda continued, glancing up to the knowledgeable Professor. "It was black and small." she said, lifting her hands for measurement.

"I saw it floating over Edward when he was on the boat, but it was gone by the time I got there."

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-23, 11:19 PM
"You're right," Fonkin says. "I didn't think of it at the time, but when I picked up the wizard's evil aura, there was a smaller one right above him. I bet that's what it was."

Vladislav
2011-03-24, 11:23 AM
Willem shakes his head sadly. So she was tricked. It was a daughter's love that led her into the hands of those bastards. He takes a moment to regain his usual practicality. Paying a visit to the harbormaster is a good idea, we can find who owns the ship, maybe even its port of destination. Any other thoughts?

Sinfonian
2011-03-24, 12:01 PM
"Not at the moment, no. But I'll keep considering it. Now, if you excuse me, I should go see to my wife and explain myself. First thing tomorrow, we'll get back to work getting your daughter back." With that, Biles rises from the table, and with a polite bow, leaves the room.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-24, 01:36 PM
"Yes, it's been a very tiring evening. I'll see you early tomorrow morning." With that, he leaves, headed off to his room at the inn.

Vladislav
2011-03-24, 01:43 PM
By next morning, you are a bit refreshed, and yesterday's scenes seem like a distant memory - or maybe not so distant, for some. Willem leaves to make some enquiries among his friends and business associates, and takes Peter with him. He is, after all, Willem's employee. You are welcome to join, he says, unless you have your own lines of investigation you'd like to pursue.

Chained Birds
2011-03-24, 03:45 PM
Edward

After rising from his rest, he concentrates on the spiritual energies around him and asks for new divine magic from them. After that, he simply gets up and addresses Willem's question.

"It'll be better if we split up our search for information. Even if I must chase the men who've taken my precious family away from me through the very abyss, I'll be sure to return Marybeth back in one piece... at least."

He looks around for the rest of the small group he recently went gallivanting with, and walks to them to see what plans they've got in store.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-24, 05:52 PM
"Well," Fonkin says, "I think we need to find out who this man is, and why he might want to kidnap Marybeth. It seems to me that it might be best if we go talk to Marybeth's friends. They might have seen this man around somewhere, or she might have told one of them something." He turns to Brenda. "Speaking of which, Brenda, have heard or noticed anything that might be related?"

HappyBlanket
2011-03-24, 08:01 PM
Brenda shakes her head negatively to Fonkin, straightening her modest street clothes absentmindedly.

"Marybeth and I were close." she began, a somewhat regretful tone hanging on her words. "...But I didn't recognize him." she answered, mentally comparing the face of the man to that of Marybeth's many scores of suitors. Brenda was often the one to drive said suitors away, much to her own delight and sometimes to the dismay of the elder sibling.
"...We stopped talking after Peter proposed." she then added, the regret wrapped around her voice joined by the subdued touch of lingering spite.

Saying the two were close was a precarious choice of words. Brenda was a clingy child, and she still was; she always tagged along with Marybeth, no matter the venture, and no matter the protests from Marybeth's circle of friends. But as far as Brenda was concerned, Marybeth's friends were her friends too. When Marybeth picked up a hobby, so did Brenda. When Marybeth went overseas, so did Brenda. When Marybeth studied alchemy, so did Brenda (the large scorch mark and the rebuilt wall in her room attested to the futility of this particular exercise). Brenda was only rarely far from her adored obsession.

"We could try the dock again." Brenda said, remembering her father's recommendation from the previous night. She only hoped the guards had since been changed.

Chained Birds
2011-03-24, 08:16 PM
Edward

"True, but people might be hesitant to talk to us after what happened with the guards and their dogs. We could also check out the carriage owner, and see if we can get in contact with the driver at the time. If he was payed off or witnessed something, we might be able to get what we need."

Not really much of a thinking person, Edward was never very good in group discussions. Being more of a man of action, he would constantly get himself into danger just to see if he could survive. But even he knew that some people have to be dealt with with a little more tact; so gaining as much information as possible would considerably help out.

Sinfonian
2011-03-24, 10:27 PM
After having had a good night's sleep, the Professor rises, grimacing slightly at the stiffness he feels in his joints. As he does each morning, he studies his spellbook to replenish his compliment of magic for the day. Following that, he kisses his wife and goes to meet the others to resume the search for Marybeth.

He concurs with Brenda's suggestion to return to the docks. The guards last night had said it was a different place during the day. Hopefully, there would be more talking and less arrows, swords, and dogs. "We should see what we can find out about that ship from the harbormaster, as well as see if we can find anything that might have not been visible at night."

HappyBlanket
2011-03-25, 09:55 PM
"Lets at least stop by. If they want to fight... Well, whatever." said Brenda with some apathy, locating her disorganized bag and slinging it in a rough arc over her shoulder. She felt a few coins slap against her back, protruding through two layers of material - one from her leather sack, another from a small knotted pouch within it.

She shoved her way past Peter, striding out the door and towards the docks - she remembered it's location well, having lived in the area and having visited it with Marybeth and her father.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-25, 11:04 PM
"Yes, I suppose the docks would be a good place to start." Seeing Brenda shoulder her way out the door, he walks out after her. He walks slowly, lost in thought. Edward's comment about the guards had him feeling guilty. He didn't like that they had been injured so badly, when they had just been carrying out their duty. A bit overzealously, perhaps, but they were still the city guard.
"Say, I'm just wondering, how much does clerical assistance cost?"

Chained Birds
2011-03-26, 01:56 AM
Edward

Noticing his niece's solace, Edward begins to follow her; turning to the gentlemen as he leaves,

"I guess I'd better chase after this one."

Edward runs past to Brenda, blocking her path. He stops her to place a hand on her shoulder, and say to her, in a fairly serious and calm tone (a voice that is usually never present), what he had on his mind;

"You've done well. Sometimes we must except our limitations and how fate may put us through several trials before allowing us to reach our goals. I was a pathetic man when I was alive. I accepted what fate offered, even if it made me diverge from my goals; giving up entirely if necessary. But you, you always look towards whatever goal you want to accomplish, regardless of the cost or what has happened along the way. Don't lose this trait of yours, even if everything around you crumbles to the ground. Your Great Grand Father would have been very happy to have know you."

He walks along after giving that brief speech, hopefully lifting her spirits in the process (Edward wasn't very good with words). Edward has his goals set on heading to the docks with the rest of the group.

Vladislav
2011-03-26, 05:25 PM
You quickly arrive at the docks, again. With relief, you note that the night guards are nowhere to be seen, and the entire daytime security consists of a single bored young man, who mechanically opens the gate for anyone, and closes it behind them. You wonder why not just keep the gate open. Oh well, he's probably someone's relative and needed the job. You find the docks a much livelier place during the day than at nighttime; there's plenty of vessel, goods, and people movement. The harbormaster's office is a mess. Employees are running around with pieces of paper, shouting often contradictory orders, while the harbormaster himself, a fat red-faced man, looks like he's constantly on the verge of heart attack. Finally, he seems to have a break between arguments, and you manage to get his attention. Who are you and what do you want?

HappyBlanket
2011-03-27, 03:50 PM
Brenda twitched irritably at her uncle's touch, looking to him with eyes filled with cold fury. Words of solace fell as muted sounds and clouded visions, and she was soon to shrug off his hand, walking a few steps behind him as they walked from her father's house.

She was silent and inexpressive for a few minutes, but she eventually drifted her gaze from the ground to Edward. She trotted forward, approaching her uncle's side. Her eyes stayed steadily ahead as she spoke, unflinching.

"Giving up." she said, echoing him without warning. "No, I haven't given up. Not at all." she continued, her thoughts dense with growing infuriation and frustration, bubbling from the fore of her mind. When she spoke next, her voice radiated anger and dripped with venom.

"I've accepted nothing. And the next time we meet that mage..." her words flared with spite at his mention, at the mention of her sister's kidnapper. "The two of us won't be the only Castles leaving."

When they finally arrived at the harbor, and when the harbormaster finally approached and Brenda gave him a reproaching look, she very nearly wanted to throttle the poor sack of flesh. Yet she relented to the others present; perhaps her own methods of communication wouldn't be much help at the moment.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-28, 09:53 PM
Fonkin walks up to the desk, standing as tall as he can to remain seen above the edge. "Excuse me, we are here on behalf of Willem Castle. There was a Toldurian ship that left the harbor last night, after the docks closed. If you can spare just a moment, we would like to know who it belonged to, and where it was going." He meets the harbormaster's eyes as best as he can, and a note of quiet urgency enters his voice. "Please, this is very important."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-03-28, 11:28 PM
Hmm. Left in the night, you say? A messy business, that was. Bodies were fished out of the water this morning, I heard. He leafs through some logs. Let's me see... ah, the Antonia, a three-master, port of registration at Angard, owned by ... hmm, no record of owner. Bastard skipped port without paying harbour tax, hate when this happens.

His eyes narrow, as he surveys your little group. Why did you say it was Toldurian? What do you know of this?

Knowledge (Geography) DC 10
Angard Island is one of the many islands dotting the Sorcerer's Sea. A medium-sized island, independant, ruled by local monarchy.

Chained Birds
2011-03-28, 11:39 PM
Edward

"...not much apparently. By any chance are there going to be any boats ready? We want to pay them back for leaving without paying their dues."

Edward tries to convey both a honest and a threatening tone.

Sinfonian
2011-03-29, 12:48 AM
Knowledge: Geography check to see spoiler box

[roll0]
"Registered to Angard, you say? How likely is it that such a ship would actually be from there, or might it just be a false port of origin? Is there anything else you can tell us about the ship? If it is right, that seems like a good place to look. Can you tell us anything about that?"

Vladislav
2011-03-29, 09:14 AM
He taps his fingers on the table and winks at Edward. Riiight. You don't know anything about it, but you're eager to go there right now and, uhm, avenge my lost tax. Better try pulling the other one. Anyway, none of my business. And there's no passenger line between Southhaven and Angard, so... I dunno, charter a boat or something. This office may be able to help you out, for a small fee.

He responds to Prof. Biles, False port? Could be. They were very secretive when in port. No shore leaves, no nothing. I believe, the owner was trying to negotiate a purchase of something, but it didn't work out. Possibly of something not quite legal. Again, none of my business. Surely you understand.

By the way, he turns to the group at large, as good citizens who seem to know something about this, you may want to talk to the sheriff. He and his men are at the pier over there, fishing something out of the water. And now, I'm busy. Anything else?

Chained Birds
2011-03-29, 09:29 AM
Edward

"Ho, what taxes? Anyways, if we need any more information, we'll be sure to catch you when you're not busy.
Unless anyone else has anything left to say, let's go speak to a certain sheriff."

If the others don't ask any more questions, Edward will simply wander over to the crime scene in search of a man fitting a sheriff-like description.

Vladislav
2011-03-29, 09:39 AM
Whoever returns to the pier:
A team of six workhorses is straining to pull Marybeth's carriage out of the ocean. The work is difficult, as the vehicle took in water and is very heavy. Two human-like shapes are lying on the charred boards, covered in black tarp. As you approach, a gray-haired military-type man who seems to be in charge of the operation lifts the corner of the tarp, shakes his head sadly, and replaces it.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-29, 07:38 PM
"Yes, I think we will be going. Have a good day, sir, " he tells the harbormaster. With that, he leaves and heads toward the docks.

As he approaches the pier, he notices the shapes under the tarp. He placed his hand on his forehead. There were only so many possibilities about who could be under it...

HappyBlanket
2011-03-29, 08:15 PM
Choosing not to continue floating about the harbormaster any longer, Brenda followed Edward and Fonkin to the pier, her eyes darting about the area with immediacy.

As they closed in on the pier, she dropped her gaze directly to the two tarps laying against the soot covered planks. Her body stiffened, and her pace came to an abrupt halt. She felt her fingers lock in place, dangling dumbly to her sides.

Edward had killed a sailor here, last night. No, he killed two. Yeah, two. Definitely two. She was sure of it. These were the bodies of sailors, and they both had broken skulls. Definitely.

She started to move briskly towards the gray haired man, rashly and unhesitatingly. She wanted to talk with him - though her steps seemed directed to the tarp at his feet.

Vladislav
2011-03-30, 09:48 PM
The man stands up and regards the approaching group. His face contorts in frustration. Please don't tell me you're the reinforcements I sent for. This is not the right time to be training rookies.

Knowledge (local) DC 15
His name is Terrance Mulk, local police chief, nicknamed "The Fox" for his ability to ferret out criminals

Chained Birds
2011-03-31, 12:08 AM
Edward

"Actually, I'm a cleric. Allow me to wish these poor souls my blessings. And while I'm doing that, you may engage in conversation with the scientific looking gentleman over there."

Pointing to Prof. Biles, Edwards then closes his hands and eyes in a basic prayer pose.

Sinfonian
2011-03-31, 12:18 AM
Knowledge: Local [roll0]

The Professor extends his hand to the police chief, keeping a professional demeanor when dealing with a respected official.

"Chief Mulk, I am Professor Biles. We're looking for something connected to this incident. Last night, Willem Castle's daughter was stolen. Today was to be her wedding. That carriage," he points to the object being labored over, "was the vehicle that brought her here last night. She was taken away by a ship, the Antonia, of Toldurian make and crew. We're going after this ship to recover the girl. Is there anything you can tell us about this carriage?"

Vladislav
2011-03-31, 03:19 PM
A priest? Well, definitely too late for a physician. Pray as you like, just don't disturb anything. He then turns to the Professor and listens to him intently.

Well, there goes my first theory. Looked like some kind of forbidden deal gone bad, with the carriage driver and one of the sailors killed, and the ship leaving in a hurry. Kidnapping, you say? And Castle's child, no less. Interesting. He walks to the carriage, currently tethering at the edge of the pier, and helps out the horses with a small shove.

Manny & sons, he reads the inscription on the side. A respectable business, hard to imagine them involved in something like this. More likely, wrong place, wrong time. This, he lifts the corner of the tarp, seems too young to be Manny, so one of the sons, I reckon. Poor bastard.

He scratches his head. I read the harbormaster's log. There's amazingly scant detail about the ship that was anchored here. Bet someone was paid to look the other way. Port of registration, one of those lawless islands, that's all I got. Gods know what else they were doing here, except kidnapping. Damn, my men are stretched thin as it is... he suddenly stops amid phrase.

Well, I told you what I know. But something's telling me you know more, am I right?

Chained Birds
2011-03-31, 04:20 PM
Edward

"Gods! Please take these dear souls to their respective afterlife, and may you leave their bodies behind as parting gifts for their loved ones. And may they one day, walk again hand in hand with their beloved once again, by whatever means you see fit..."

Finishing his small prayer, he begins to wonder whether they will find a boat that can lead them to the island in question.

"Sir Mulk (I believe that is your name), we know of various facts, but none as to why what happened here happened. All I truly know is out there, a young girl is in distress and we will do everything in our power to bring her back.
So, we'll be heading out to the lawless islands as soon as we find someone who can sail us there."

He hoped everyone else felt the same as him, or else Edward would feel very embarrassed for saying that out loud... If he could feel embarrassed.

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-31, 07:33 PM
Fonkin nods in agreement. "I'm sure we will find the answers as we go. When we return, we'll be sure to tell you whatever else they were doing."

HappyBlanket
2011-03-31, 10:51 PM
Brenda walked about the immediate area, her wandering eyes stopping to stare intently at Mulk as he inspected the corpse beneath the tarp. Her relieved exhalation, which she did not understand, seemed to be the first breath she had taken since arriving. A dim fog in her head subsided, and her thoughts cleared as if finally settling upon the ground in a neat garden of dew. Her erratic wandering slowed to a stop.

She found herself at the side of the carriage, looking within it curiously as the adults talked. It seemed they were preparing to leave, and she mulled over a few next stops. Regrouping with her father and that miserable piece of trash (hadn't he saved her just last night?) seemed like a good start, but there were others to deal with as well. In addition to speaking with her father, it seemed they needed to hire a ship as well, and visit other friends of Marybeth. Noticing the peculiar lightness at her side, she personally needed to perform an errand before setting off.

Catching something in the conversation, she turned to the group, still perched near the carriage. "The lawless islands?" she asked, the emptiness at her side pronouncing itself with her question. "What lawless islands?" she followed, having a less than admirable memory regarding the lands of the planet.

Vladislav
2011-04-01, 11:01 AM
Mulk nods. Fine. Don't leave town without me knowing. Not that you'll be able to. And don't call me Sir, I haven't been knighted yet.

Chained Birds
2011-04-02, 09:50 PM
Edward

With a small wave,

"Ho, will do sir- I mean sheriff."

Edwards wanders back to the harbor master's location, and patiently waits for the man to be unoccupied. Eerily standing out of the way of the busy man; waiting...

Vladislav
2011-04-03, 10:40 PM
Eventually, it's time for his brunch break. He sweeps the papers aside, takes a sandwich out of his bag, gets ready to take a bite and ... Oh, it's you again... what is it?

Chained Birds
2011-04-03, 11:46 PM
Edward

Smiling, Edward responds back to the man,

"Ho, it seems like you are no longer busy... I was wondering how long it will take before a boat will be charter-able? And if there is someone you know who will be willing to go to the lawless islands; for the right price."

Edward hopes he can get a boat from the harbormaster, but figures he would know of someone else if he hasn't the manpower or willing individuals available.

Vladislav
2011-04-03, 11:54 PM
He sets the sandwich aside and looks around carefully, possibly probing for unwanted listeners. Look, I have enough problems as it is with the law enforcement grilling me all morning. Theoretically, I may be able to arrange something, but not right now. Can you be a bit more specific by any chance? He pulls out a large map, showing the south coast of Galadorn and many sea islands, and sets it on the table. Theoretically, of course.

Chained Birds
2011-04-04, 12:24 AM
Edward

"Theoretically I shouldn't even be alive, but that's for another time."

Looking at the map, and point to the southern islands,

"Ho, the sheriff wasn't too specific about where those unruly men might have gone. By any chance, would you, theoretically, know which lawless islands would be between Southhaven and Angard; my geography is very poor. To be more specific, an island so a large boat can replenish supplies, or dock for sometime.."

Chuckling a bit, Edward seems be enjoying himself.

Vladislav
2011-04-04, 11:42 AM
Well, a ship of that size is perfectly capable of carrying enough provisions to make the journey to Angard in one leg. 'tis about a week at sea. Still, if they were to stop somewhere ... only thing along the way is White Shoal Island. Strange folk live there, I heard. Harmless, but spooky. They have this weird cult worship thing going. No one likes to moor there, let alone go to shore, unless they have to. Guess that's the only reason they haven't been overrun yet.

Chained Birds
2011-04-04, 11:58 AM
Edward

"White Shoal Island? Ho, thank you for the theoretical, geographical information; but do you know of anyone who could pilot us their. I don't mind if they're respected members of society, or pirates, or even cultists; any ride would be worth asking for."

Vladislav
2011-04-04, 12:02 PM
Theoretically, come back tomorrow, right before closing time. I'm very, uhm, busy today. He glances out the office window at the sheriff's men, still scouring the pier. You may want to, be uhm, ready for travel next time we meet. Just a thought.

HappyBlanket
2011-04-04, 01:07 PM
"I'm heading back to town." said Brenda abruptly, her voice a disgruntled mutter directed to nobody in particular. As much as she wanted to learn more about her sister's captors, she decided that she'd be better help searching elsewhere, as opposed to simply loitering about the docks to ask questions. She slipped away from the soaked carriage and towards the gates, intending to head home.

Chained Birds
2011-04-04, 01:13 PM
Edward

"Ho, ho, ho, I'll inform the rest to theoretically get ready for travel for tomorrow."

Leaving the harbormaster, Edward searches for the group he left behind, and begins relaying all the information he acquired; all the while, wondering where Brenda went. He relays the information after bringing the members away from the sheriff and his men, so as not to draw unneeded attention.

"...and that's about all I was able to find. At least we've got a potential boat for tomorrow."

HappyBlanket
2011-04-04, 03:43 PM
Brenda arrived at her house soon enough, passing the servants who yet remained and walking directly to the stairs with slow and deliberate steps. Marybeth's room was directly opposite her own (Brenda insisted when she was nine), and she knew it to be a place of solace and comfort. It would be her nowhere, for when she had nowhere to go. It would be a refuge. A someplace else. A sanctuary.

But of course, that was when Marybeth was in it.

It was odd to find the room empty, but she remembered the feeling; it reminded her of the day Marybeth announced her wedding. She wasn't there to wake Brenda that morning, like she usually was; instead, Marybeth was downstairs. With Peter, and with Willem. And when Brenda finally woke on her own, she asked Marybeth why. And Marybeth said she forgot.
That was when Brenda started yelling.

Her mind distant, Brenda ran her fingers through Marybeth's remaining possessions, picking out interesting things.

Search:
Take 20!

Vladislav
2011-04-05, 11:26 AM
Scouring through Marybeth's room, Brenda finds, beyond the obvious clothes and knicknacks,

* A drawer full of alchemical tools and substances

* A girlish-looking diary (is Brenda the kind of person to read it?)

* Several pencil drawings (mostly landscapes and cityscapes). One self-portrait. One portrait of ... Brenda!?

* Some jewelry, most of it gifts from potential suitors, including, you suspect, Peter.

* A fat research journal titled "Meteorology".

HappyBlanket
2011-04-07, 01:58 AM
Brenda rummages through the alchemical tools, finding some of it recognizable... She witnessed a brief flashback to when she was young, which she quickly shook away. With embarrassment and frustration in her mind, she slammed shut the box of tools, determined never to look at them again.

She pauses upon finding the diary, holding it in her hands with almost religious pride. Brenda had spent months, nay, ages trying to find this sacred tome of secrets; dark, forbidden secrets Brenda-kind was never meant to know. She placed her hand upon it's front cover delicately, slipping her fingers beneath. The parchment brushed against her hand teasingly. Pinching the cover's edge determinedly, she lifted the cover and... And let it close. No. She couldn't; it was an invasion of Marybeth's privacy, and Brenda would not allow herself to infringe on that.

Proud of her moral decision, Brenda lifted herself away from Marybeth's closet, leaving the removed drawers and piles of thoroughly handled clothing on the floor. She kept the diary, however. Unlike everything else in her sack, the diary was placed neatly and safely within it's confines.

The pencil drawings are of particular interest, and Brenda loses track of time looking over them, chuckling to herself every now and then as she admires her sister's work... But she's silent as she looks at her own face in her sister's lines.
She keeps the picture of herself and the self portrait.

She isn't that interested in the research journal... But what the hell, maybe she can use it to better protect the diary in her bag. She places the journal between the diary and the rest of her possessions.

She ignores the jewelry, refusing to take any for her self.

Her bag now filled with two sketches and two books, she heads out of the house once more. When she next returns, the coins in her bag are lonelier, and her armor has been replaced. A glaive is in her hands.

Vladislav
2011-04-07, 04:26 PM
In the afternoon, Willem returns from his wandering, and sits down the troops in the library for a briefing. I have been going through my commecial documents, and reconstructed a list of anyone who was ever interested in Marybeth. Most of them are either local gutless rich heirs, or pennyless scoundrels. No one that would dare, or even be able to, to pull off an operation like this. One was a foreigner however. His name, at least the one he gave me, was Marquis Nigual. Probably a fake name, as it mean "nobody" in Toldurian. Shady character. I remember, Marybeth and Deana came to my office last week to bring me lunch as he and I were negotiating a deal. He looked at her ... in a way I didn't like, and offered to walk her home.

I knew this man was trouble. Peter adds grimly. Should have challenged him to a duel right there.

Willem continues, And I should have slammed my fist and said no, but I didn't. And Marybeth was too polite to refuse. She never spoke of him again though, and as the shady deal he offered to me fell through, he never came to my office again. I would bet my fortune he's behind this.

He ends his tale and looks at you, So, what have you found?

Chained Birds
2011-04-07, 05:25 PM
Edward

"Ho, Not much. We did encounter a sheriff by some name (it's not that important) who directed us south to the lawless islands. I also received additional information from another source that leads us to a specific island. I've already made plans to head there immediately with this specific group."

He points to the individual members of the party,

"I figure a small group will be less likely to cause an alarm for the kidnappers."

One Tin Soldier
2011-04-07, 07:45 PM
Fonkin nods in agreement. "We should be heading out tomorrow. I'm curious, what kind of deal were you discussing?"

Vladislav
2011-04-07, 11:00 PM
He raises his head, surprised by Edward getting to the point so fast. Head out immediately? Did you secure passage already?! Which island is that?

Hearing Tonkin's question, he takes a deep breath, sneaking a peek at Brenda. Well... I didn't want my daughters to know, but among my business, are also weapons. All legal of course, I have full license from the merchant's guild. Still, not the kind of legacy one wants to leave. Doesn't matter now. About the deal... he wanted parts for heavy ballistas. Not just parts for repair, but full assortment, from which complete weapons can be assembled. Anyway, since he gave me what was probably a fake name, didn't have a port of destination, and didn't want to sign an export deposition, I had to refuse the deal. We parted amicably, or at least so I thought.

HappyBlanket
2011-04-09, 04:52 PM
Brenda suddenly averts her eyes at the mention of her father's wares, reminded of the Bastard Sword she once hid in her closet. She once had a chance encounter with a supply of such weapons, intended for sale by her father, and had since known well of their existence.

She mulled briefly over the man's intended purchase. Ballistas were no small matter, she knew that much. Nor were they cheap.

"...A specific island." she said, looking to the others. She felt her fingers clasp over her weapon as she spoke. "Then we know where they are?"

Vladislav
2011-04-12, 07:41 AM
Well? Willem breaks the silence. Do you know where they are?

Chained Birds
2011-04-12, 08:31 AM
Edward

"I'm not 100% sure where she is. All we know is a general area, a supposed island, and a direction. But all of these can lead us on a wild goose chase.
But, as previously stated, I will be heading there by my own means soon; with this small group. However, I'm uncertain on the price for the boat; so, if I may be so bold, can I ask for as much gold as you can provide for this venture?"

He says this with a gleeful smirk across his face.

Vladislav
2011-04-12, 09:09 AM
Which supposed island? Which direction? If it's a goose chase the three of you about to embark on, how do you know my girl is at the end of it? Why are you being so secretive?

One Tin Soldier
2011-04-12, 07:54 PM
"The ship was registered to Angard, so we will be headed there. It may have been a misdirection, but we may at least find a lead there. We also were planning to stop at White Shoal Island on the way, though I'm not quite sure why." With the last statement, he looks at Edward.

Vladislav
2011-04-13, 08:59 AM
He shudders at the mention of White Shoal Island. Please don't tell me you think my child was taken there. It's a crazy place, run by a mad cult. I can only pray she keeps her sanity, if this is the case. But, if the boat was registered to Angard... that's a relatively civilized place.

He sighs and turns to Edward. Old friend, you know full well that for the release of my child, I can provide whatever needs to be provided. And if the three of you set out ...

The four of us, Peter interferes. I'm not staying behind when my betrothed needs to be rescued from this mage's clutches.

Right. If the four of you set out, you can count on any help I can provide.

Chained Birds
2011-04-13, 09:30 AM
Edward

Lacing his fingers together,

"Ho, ho, ho, very well then Willem. We have a ship scheduled to leave soon. I ask that the members of this group prepare for a long and dangerous trip. As Willem says, he will front the bill for all expenses met."

He gets up from his seat, and begins to leave.

HappyBlanket
2011-04-15, 06:15 PM
"We're taking her back." Brenda snarls, perhaps more to reassure herself than her father. She jerks upwards from her chair, leading herself away with the marionette cross of those volatile fiends we call emotions. "From White Shoal, Angard... "

Her eyes pass briefly over the group, an ever so brief pause interrupting. She grunts softly, then decides to return to her room; perhaps she'd do some reading.

Vladislav
2011-04-15, 11:27 PM
Willem turns to Brenda, and jumps as if snakebitten. "We"? Brenda, muffin, what do you mean by that? You can't possibly entertain the idea of going there... not after you've seen his power, not after what he did to you. Honey, he softly puts his hand on his daughter's shoulder, you'll stay right here, and everything will be alright. You'll see. Marybeth will be home before you know it. I promise.

HappyBlanket
2011-04-17, 02:59 PM
Brenda halts, her knees locking and her body freezing at those most piercing of words; she felt as if something cold had sunk into the small of her back, digging into her with all too fatal precision. Like a strike to the heart, she felt a surge of warmth spill out from the wound, flowing outwards with all the pain and anger that blood can bare. So easy was it to hit the heart of someone so consumed by it.

She throws off her father's hand with a violent twist of her shoulder, stepping away as she turned to face him. Her teeth were bared, and she felt the flesh between her fingers pinch against the wood of war.

"Marybeth's my sister!" she said, a rush of that spilling warmth crawling over her neck for the first time that day. It felt distinctly as if something had ruptured, like the fingers clamped between her ribs had finally let go.

Finding her tongue at a loss of words, her mind thrashed wildly. She saw a brief picture of the mage, who had taken her sister. She saw Peter proposing, and now her father telling her to stay away. His promise meant nothing. She might never come home.

"I'm taking her back." she growled furiously. "There's nothing he can do to me that's worse than taking away Marybeth." she said, no longer entirely sure as to who she was referring to.

Vladislav
2011-04-17, 03:06 PM
Brenda, dear ... Spurned by his daughter, Willem looks around like a cornered animal, his eyes jumping between the men present. She's not listening to me anymore. Not much of a surprise, hasn't been for years, but this! This is crazy ... tell her, someone ... maybe she'll listen to you. TELL HER!

One Tin Soldier
2011-04-19, 07:37 PM
Fonkin shuffled uncomfortably. He glanced around, waiting for someone to speak up. However, after an uncomfortably long pause, it became clear that no one was going to do so. He cleared his throat and said, "It's, ah, probably not my place to say so, but I think Brenda would be a great help in rescuing Marybeth."

Vladislav
2011-04-20, 10:15 AM
Peter adds his voice, I know this opinion won't sit well with you, Willem, but he's right. The girl can stand up for herself. And not only for herself.

Willem shakes his head, having seemingly aged ten years in a minute. Nonetheless, the look on his face is that of optimism. You're right. She has grown. Brenda, you've grown so much. Now go out there and bring your sister back, and make me proud. I'm unfortunately too old to be of any help, except for material. Peter, open the vault, and all of you, get yourself equipped. He hands a small key to Peter and closes his eyes, waving his hand in the direction of the door as if to say, leave this grieving old man alone.

Calenestel
2011-04-23, 04:25 PM
Taking the key with a quick, slightly stiff bow the scarred clerk turns to leave. "This way, good people. This way."
He DID wish there was something he could do to comfort his future father-in-law (and he still considered the man thus, he would NOT consider the possibility that they would never get Marybeth back), but there really isn't. Except returning in triumph, and keeping Brenda alive and in one piece. Ironic really. Shaking his head, and turning his mouth into a tight, humourless smile the former soldier leads the rest to the vault, letting them into the old man's rather substantial treasures.
A hoard he had once considered an unattainable way back to his own fortunes. Now it wasn't that far away, but his goals and priorities were so completely changed that he didn't even consider it any more. Taking a bag, a heavy one, of sovereigns he then steps to the side and lets the other in. There were other things in there, gear strange and even magical, potions, scrolls, bars of metal and a shelve of more mundane, but even more important, ledgers, deeds and letters about various debts. All so familiar to him now, and almost worthless in his current state of mind.

Vladislav
2011-04-24, 06:53 PM
The next day passes in shopping for equipment and other preparations, and by evening you're back at the harbormaster's office. The docks are emptying, workers heading home, and sailors either head for a night on the town, if lucky enough to get a shore leave, or head to spend the night on their ships if not. Right... he speaks to no one in particular, not raising his head from the papers. Please put a harbor tax in the sum of 100 gold in that box over there, so we may proceed. I trust you.

Assuming you do drop the money, he leads you outside, and despite of the promise to trust you, checks the box on the way. You are led to a medium-sized ship two piers away, that's getting ready to set sail. Captain Harrows, these are the people I told you about.

Right. Harrows, a tall sinewy man clad in grey, surveys your little group from head to toe, and spits to the side. Get on board, there's a bit of room prepped for you aft. Your passage been paid for, so you don't have to work, in fact I'd rather you not interfere with the crew. Especially the lass. But, if we beat to quarters - for you landlubbers, that means, if we're under attack, I expect you to lend a hand. Are we clear?

Chained Birds
2011-04-24, 07:04 PM
Edward

Happily paying the toll and meeting the captain, Edward enjoys being on the rough seas once again.

"By all means captain, I've been through many an adventure on the high seas and will aid you in any way you see fit. Be sure not to crash, as that's how my previous adventure in the open waters ended, ho ho ho!"

Progressing to the quarters presented to the group, he waves along the rest of the party and bows in acceptance and appreciation to the harbormaster.

"May we see you again soon. I'll be sure to award you further if we so happen to survive."

Calenestel
2011-04-25, 02:26 AM
With a smile, equally be- and a-mused, Peter looks to Marybeth's "uncle". The undead had been a shock at first and even now he had a hard time keeping up with the almost flamboyant priest. He says nothing more, only nodding his acceptance, his agreement with Edward, like him the old soldier had been to sea before and with the same sort of agreement. Hefting his powerful bow, still curved despite being unstringed, Peter gets on board, walking the gangway with an air of impatience. Finally on their way!

HappyBlanket
2011-04-25, 03:32 AM
"Yeah, yeah." Brenda so graciously addresses the captain, snappishly brushing past him as she strides onto the ship's deck; she sticks out a finger and a tongue as soon as his back is turned, years of adolescent practice retracting both at the slightest hint of getting caught.

With an irritable twitch, she soon notices Peter walking several steps ahead of her, and makes a none too subtle point of bumping into him roughly as she hastens her pace. The sense of accomplishment broods, and the sullen Brenda basks in the glory of walking a grand total of three steps ahead of Peter.
Spite could be rather petty.

She casts a glance above to the darkened sky, turning to the captain casually. "So, where are we suppose to stay?"

Calenestel
2011-04-25, 03:42 AM
A slight twinge of irritation at being almost shoved into the water as well as the generall immaturity of Brenda and Peter then shrugs slightly. It wasn't worth fighting over. It pained him somewhat that she still, even in the face of Mary's abduction, wouldn't let her animosity slide. But the girl would just have to accept him in time, he wasn't going anywhere that was for sure. Laconically he stepped up on the deck, looking for directions as to where he was supposed to bunk.

Vladislav
2011-04-25, 02:34 PM
The group is led down into the hold, to a group of bunks aft, separated from the main crew quarters by a makeshift plywood wall. This flimsy barrier is held by a few nails and a prayer, and seems to have been put in place only today. A small arrow slit is the sole source of light and view. There's a box, apparently meant to be used as a table, no chairs to complete the set however, a small barrel of water, and in the box, rations to last a couple of days.

On the issue of toilet facilities, it is better to remain silent.

Right, says Captain Harrows, next stop, White Shoal island. If you vomit, clean it up, else the smell lingers for days.

Chained Birds
2011-04-25, 03:45 PM
Edward

"Ho, now this will be an enjoyable ride."

Laughing up a storm, Edward doesn't bother picking a bunk, as he doesn't suffer the usual ailments of sleep deprivation or fatigue while wearing his armor and sleeping on the hard ground.

Calenestel
2011-04-25, 05:39 PM
Grimacing slightly at the poor bunking conditions Peter then shrugs and props his bow in a corner. "What cannot be changed must be endured," he mumbles to himself almost too softly to be heard. But it WAS decidedly more primitive than his last, and only, naval campaign. Taking a top bunk, showing his choice by putting his backpack in it, he then unbuckles the girdle holding his quiver and mace, but not the longsword, and puts it in the same corner as the bow. After that he moves back up, for a nip of fresh air and a chance to clear his head somewhat.

abadguy
2011-04-25, 09:53 PM
Covered and hooded in a strange black cloak, Professor Biles climbs on board the ship. He is strangely silent, not his usual chatty self. His raven sits solemnly at his shoulder. He nods to everyone else, heads into one of the bunks before lying down into it, hood covering his face.

One Tin Soldier
2011-04-26, 11:22 AM
Fonkin walks into the room and grimaces. This looked like it was not going to be pleasant. "Well, at least it shouldn't be a long trip," he says as he sets his gear down. He pulls himself up onto the lowest bunk and gets as comfortable as he can.
"So professor, I was unsure whether you were joining us. I don't think I've seen you since we were at the harbor."

abadguy
2011-04-26, 11:32 AM
The professor snaps from beneath his hood. "Well yes, why wouldn't I be happy going along on a high spirited adventure to save a damsel in distress, especially on a fine sailing vessel such as this. On an ocean. With waves. Urrghhh...." He groans.
The raven caws in sympathy and seems to shrug its wings as it looks at the gnome.

Vladislav
2011-04-26, 12:20 PM
Man the capstan! Hoist the anchor! Flap those sheets, cast those lines! Move faster, you salt-devils!

Many running feet thud the deck above you, commands and profanities are yelled, and the ship starts moving as wind fills its sails. The sun sets as you leave the harbor, and soon, the shores of Galadorn are but a stripe of lights on the horizon. As the ship sets on its course, everything sets into a steady rhythm. The noises die down, and only a handful of crew are left above deck to navigate.

The night passes peacefully, for the most part, your sleep interrupted only by the ringing of a bell to signify watch change every three hours, and distant sounds of retching somewhere - apparently, even seasoned sailors get seasick once in a while.

At dawn, you wake up feeling uncomfortably. There seems to be something wrong... what? Ah yes, the ship isn't moving. Isn't it too early for your destination though? Worried voices are heard above deck.

Calenestel
2011-04-26, 12:40 PM
With a worried frown Peter sits up and swings his legs over the side of the bunk. He wasn't prone to sea sickness, he had never been, and yet he felt ill at ease. Then the lack of movement and the unhappy murmurs strikes him and he jumps of the cot quickly. "Wake up, all. There's trouble brewing." Quickly he pulls on his armour and buckles on his sword belt before hurrying up on deck.

Chained Birds
2011-04-26, 01:07 PM
Edward

Releasing himself from his state of "rest",

"Ho, now where is all this energy coming from?"

With equipment never removed, Edward approaches the door and opens it slightly. Peering through the crack, he try to identify the life-force signatures of anyone on deck. Although the sun is out, torch lights still cast light in the shade.

Spot: [roll0]
- attempting to spot anyone who seems out of place
- using lifesense to aid with this
Move Silently: [roll1]
- hopefully not needed, but made anyway

One Tin Soldier
2011-04-26, 07:40 PM
Fonkin wakes up quietly at the sound of Peter's voice, then follows his lead by pulling on his armor and weaponry. He follows the other two up to the deck, curious about what is happening.

abadguy
2011-04-26, 09:58 PM
The Professor merely groans and buries his head deeper into his hard pillow. "Don't call me unless its life and death." He raises the hood of his cloak once more, covering his face completely.

Calenestel
2011-04-27, 03:55 AM
Turning to glance at the professor the ex-soldier looks a bit concerned. He didn't know the man well, hadn't met him much really. But even he knew this was uncharacteristic of him. "Don't you mean life OR death?" he quips in an odd display at humour, and glancing towards "Uncle Edward" he then adds: "Or maybe not."

If (or rather when, I guess) that doesn't help any Peter will just shrug, shake his head slightly and hurry up on deck.

Also: I envision Peter as someone easily mistaken for humourless, but actually rather possessing that kind of dry wit that people tend to overlook. :smallwink:

Vladislav
2011-04-27, 10:32 AM
Those of you that go on deck see the ship stuck in a thick soup of seaweeds. The greenish surface stretches quite far in all directions, at least several hundreds yards, hard to see further in the murky-gray light of dawn.

The captain is also on deck, screaming at the helmsman, You scurvy dog, how did you put us in the middle of this, you fishbrain?
Sir, it was dark, and visibility was...
Dark!? DARK? A true seaman should be able to smell those kelps. You hear me, you should have smelled them! I'd keelhaul you right now if the water wasn't as thick as your mother's armpit hair. Now get out of my sight before I cut your useless nose off.

Having thus relieved his stress, the captain sets about to order rope ladders lowered to water level, and sailors to sit on them and push the kelps away with wooden poles, thus giving the ship some chance to move.

Chained Birds
2011-04-27, 12:23 PM
Edward

"Why captain, it would appear we've stumbled across the makings of a delicious salad. May I assist you in removing the delectable greenery?"

Edward has no difficulty seeing in the darkness, and steps over to the side of the ship. To be on the safe side, he seeks out the life-force given off down below, and is fairly worried about big animals swimming by.

Spot check: [roll0]
- living creatures give off light, and the larger they are, the brighter the glow.

Vladislav
2011-04-27, 02:40 PM
Edward
You note a large number "torches" swimming below the kelp, circling the boat semi-randomly. Could be sharks, or similar fish.

Chained Birds
2011-04-27, 03:02 PM
Edward

In a very calm and amused voice, Edward tells the captains and those listening what he sees;

"Ho captain, there appears to be aboleths swimming around in these waters. Or could simply be a bunch of sharks. In any case, I don't think it wise to simply jump into the waters without proper protection against large aquatic beasts."