PDA

View Full Version : Help with Warlock Dispelling Choice

Re'ozul
2011-02-27, 07:35 PM
I am building a lvl 13 Gestalt Pixie Warlock (using Enlightened Spirit cheese) with DMofDarkness's Warlock Fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184385).
I have already chosen my arcane mimicry spells from the Beguiler List.

My intent is building a trickster Pixielock who likes to mess with people. (And break into mean people's houses and nick their stuff for Robin Hood purposes)

Wanting to have at least one lesser dispel magic invocation, I have run into a situation where I find myself unable to choose between the two available ones.

Relentless Dispelling: Targeted Dispel Magic plus an automatic second one against the same target at the start of my next round.

Voracious Dispelling: Dispel Magic (however you like) that does damage to any target that you dispel something on to the amount of 1 per spell level. (but you only get one attempt)

Pro/Con:

Relentless: 2 for 1 / Targeted only
Voracious: As you like + damage/ only one

Extra Information: next level Enlightened Spirit gives me a touch version of a targeted greater dispel that heals friends. (Downsides obviously that it is touch, targeted only and only one per turn)

So I have three questions on them.
Which one is better overall?
Which one is better in combat?
Which one is better for sneaky purposes/out of combat?

EDIT: Something I just noticed. Can you use Flee the scene to teleport others with you? Making it appear for others as if you just made your companions invisible? (Since only your own image stays behind by RAW)

Urpriest
2011-02-27, 07:46 PM
Enlightened Spirit cheese? Pray tell. I've always heard it described as a fairly weak class, but there is a rather short supply of good warlock PrCs. How do you cheese it out?

Re'ozul
2011-02-27, 07:50 PM
Sorry for the misleading words. Its not really cheese, I just refer to it as such as I refer to all things that are not used as intended with those words.
I am taking Enlightened Spirit in parallel with the Warlock, my build being:
Warlock Fix 13//Pixie LA 4/Rogue1/Enlightened Spirit 8

Enlightened Spirit is supposed to be a PrC you take instead of warlock, but unlike most it gives fixed bonuses instead of advancing class features, so taking it in parallel stacks with the Warlock on the other side. Ultimately this is still a very subpar build compared to what else you can do, but its a way to bump up the warlock somewhat.

Kylarra
2011-02-27, 08:08 PM
I usually take voracious dispelling. My experience is that being able to mass debuff is better than single target double shots, since you usually have the action economy advantage on single targets anyway.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-27, 09:45 PM
I'm going to have to vote for voracious dispelling.
Since it seems like you're good with homebrew, I have to recommend checking out my fix for Enlightened Spirit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76466). :smallsmile:
I don't see any errata regarding Flee the Scene, so I see nothing saying that you can't bring others with you.

Re'ozul
2011-02-27, 10:21 PM
Hmm, I like the take on Enlightened Spirit, but the DM doesn't like Homebrew much and only allowed the fix because Warlock is usually Tier 4 and it doesn't make it too much stronger.
Since I take it in parallel, not much would change.
In fact, the only bigger changes would be to the blasts, which would increase 4d6 instead of +11, which is only a minor increase.
While I like the class, I'm not gonna chance DM disapproval over it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-02-28, 12:10 AM
Also keep in mind that Relentless Dispelling is TOUCH, wheras Voracious can be done at range. This is of importance in NOT getting clobbered.