PDA

View Full Version : How much is 1 XP worth?

Pard
2011-02-28, 12:31 AM
How many gold is 1 XP worth? Building a campaign that has one currency for both buying items AND getting new class levels. Need to find a way to make that work. I figure the easiest way is to convert XP into gold values and than to change the XP needed per level.

Figured that once we find a relationship between these two than we can work out a system.

Example: 1 xp = 10g
Normally it takes 1000xp to reach level 2. With this system it would take 10000xp to reach level two, but you are also getting 10x the XP from each encounter.

That should even the system out, right?

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 12:36 AM
Well magic item rules place a cost of 5 GP per 1 XP (as XP costs add 5 times the XP to the cost of a scroll or other single use item).

Goonthegoof
2011-02-28, 12:42 AM
Normally 1 xp is worth 5 GP.

Edit: Swordsaged.

Ashtagon
2011-02-28, 01:13 AM
How many gold is 1 XP worth? Building a campaign that has one currency for both buying items AND getting new class levels. Need to find a way to make that work. I figure the easiest way is to convert XP into gold values and than to change the XP needed per level.

Figured that once we find a relationship between these two than we can work out a system.

Example: 1 xp = 10g
Normally it takes 1000xp to reach level 2. With this system it would take 10000xp to reach level two, but you are also getting 10x the XP from each encounter.

That should even the system out, right?

3.x values 5 gp at 1 xp.
earlier editions value 1 gp at 1 xp (and required vastly more xp to level up, which translates into vastly more amounts of gold).

Pick your poison. Although it is worth bearing in mind that neither system regards gp:xp as being readily-convertible. That is, you can't just mark off xp and gain gold or vice versa.

Boci
2011-02-28, 01:14 AM
Do your rules allow for someone to level faster at the cost of equipment?

NichG
2011-02-28, 05:25 AM
I'm in a campaign that uses XP as currency for a large number of things. To buy an item, the cost was 0.06*(purchase price), or approximately 17gp per XP, which is slightly more than the XP component cost for enchanting an item yourself (which would be 0.04).

We could also buy stat points, feats, epic feats, class features, skill points, hitpoints, templates, and levels directly with XP for various rates. Its a pretty high power campaign, in part because of those flexibilities.

Pard
2011-02-28, 08:54 AM
Do your rules allow for someone to level faster at the cost of equipment?

Correct you are. And thanks everyone.

Kallisti
2011-02-28, 11:44 PM
I'm in a campaign that uses XP as currency for a large number of things. To buy an item, the cost was 0.06*(purchase price), or approximately 17gp per XP, which is slightly more than the XP component cost for enchanting an item yourself (which would be 0.04).

We could also buy stat points, feats, epic feats, class features, skill points, hitpoints, templates, and levels directly with XP for various rates. Its a pretty high power campaign, in part because of those flexibilities.

Could you post the various costs for all that? I'm curious.

Pard
2011-02-28, 11:49 PM
I'd like to expand on this. How much gold is a feat worth? How much gold is a skill point worth?

EDIT

How much gold for +1 ability

John Cribati
2011-03-01, 12:11 PM
A +5 Manual of Increased [INSERT ABILITY HERE] is worth 137,500 GP, so +1 would be worth 27,500 GP

A Bit steep, if you ask me...

blackmage
2011-03-01, 12:46 PM
If I'm understanding this system right, what you're looking for is like the level 4 stat boost more than a Tome of X, correct? A simple "10000GP per point" system could results in easily getting huge ability scores, particularly at higher 'levels'. I'd think that a scaling system of costs, like the Point Buy system, could be used. Multiply the point cost for increasing the stat by one by X GP.

EDIT: For feats, I'd give them as normal for leveling up in classes. If you want to separate it out...I think it should scale based on their current character level. Feat slots at higher character levels are more valuable because you qualify for better feats, so the cost should somewhat reflect that. 1/4 the cost to advance to the next character level?

Siosilvar
2011-03-01, 06:19 PM
I'd like to expand on this. How much gold is a feat worth? How much gold is a skill point worth?

EDIT

How much gold for +1 ability

27500gp for a +1 inherent.

Bonus * Bonus * 1000gp for a +X enhancement bonus.

Feats vary, skill bonuses are Bonus * Bonus * 100gp. Ranks are probably worth more than that.

Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

Boci
2011-03-01, 08:08 PM

I'm pretty sure a feat with little to know preqs is valued at 10k for a slotted item, I don't think its ever been directly stated as so, but that seems to be the average price for items that grant feats.

Qwertystop
2011-03-01, 08:22 PM
Well, 3 XP is worth the sum of:
1 Constitution point
1 casting of a 4th level spell
24 hours of torture

As seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9874234&postcount=19)

Since the torture has no RAW effect other than time, we can price 3 XP as the equivalent of 1 CON point and 1 4th level scroll.
The 4th level scroll costs 700 GP.
A Manual of Bodily Health +1 costs 27,500 GP, so it would cost 27,500 GP to recover the one point of CON loss, assuming the creature does not already have any inherent bonuses to CON.

Therefore, 3 XP is worth approximately 28,200 GP, and 1 XP is worth 9,800 GP.

:smallconfused:

I think my formulas must be a bit flawed, don't you? :smallbiggrin:
I guess the 9,795 GP difference must be the cost of being able to use someone else's life for your crafting.