PDA

View Full Version : help with a +1 template

skeetajeep
2011-02-28, 07:53 AM
I'm getting ready to join a 3.5 game where we get to pick a free +1 template and i'm wondering what the best ones for adding to CHA are. It has to be from a WotC book, so Dragon magazines are out but other than that everything else is fair game.

Goonthegoof
2011-02-28, 07:59 AM
Draconic (draconomicon) works, as does Evolved Undead if you can wrangle becoming undead.

The-Mage-King
2011-02-28, 09:36 AM
Dark template. It's pretty nice otherwise, and gives a land speed boost.

Also, here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7044.0).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-28, 10:52 AM
White Dragonspawn found in Dragonlance Campaign Setting. No Cha bonus, but +2 Dex and Con, +7 natural armor, fly speed, +1 level of Sorcerer spellcasting ability, breath weapon, natural weapons, low-light and darkvision, for only a +1 LA.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-28, 11:06 AM
Is a race allowed, instead of a template?

If so, I'd go with Half Giant, with Primordial (+0) and, IIRC, Unseelie Fey. It's from the Compendium, so it might not count, but it gives a Cha bonus for +0 LA, and the Primordial Half-Giant by itself without other templates gives, at level one, -2 STR, -2 DEX, +4 WIS, and +4 Cha with either Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate SLA, at CL equal to your HD +1, you also get +1 CL on any SLAs, included in the caster level above, AND you count as large for most things. Also, you dodge the X Person spells..

Coidzor
A list with sources and page numbers for easier reference. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List)

And can that free +1 template reduce a +2 template into a +1 template so you could buy it off at 3rd level? Because Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm)is quite nifty and CHA+4.

Too bad WOTC web is out. Since, Feytouched is an LA 1 that allows this transition to Half-Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) in exchange for 1 level....

Draz74
Half-Fey is +2 LA, but is very nice and Charisma-focused. Same with Phrenic.

You could take either of those and just actually live with an effective +1 LA, or you could take just the "first half" of Half-Fey, as offered in Savage Progressions (web article).

Darth Stabber
2011-02-28, 12:42 PM
While not a +Cha there is
Chameleon Template
Bonuses to stealth for Cha Rogues
Tongue that can deliver touch spells with reach for Cha casters.

Built a Chameleon Cleric once, delivering touch spells with your tongue is awesome.

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-28, 01:48 PM
Is a race allowed, instead of a template?

If so, I'd go with Half Giant, with Primordial (+0) and, IIRC, Unseelie Fey. It's from the Compendium, so it might not count, but it gives a Cha bonus for +0 LA, and the Primordial Half-Giant by itself without other templates gives, at level one, -2 STR, -2 DEX, +4 WIS, and +4 Cha with either Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, or Levitate SLA, at CL equal to your HD +1, you also get +1 CL on any SLAs, included in the caster level above, AND you count as large for most things. Also, you dodge the X Person spells..

Of course, Half Giant is +1 LA by itself... and Primordial adds (not replaces) Warlock as a Favored Class. Overall, Primordial is a pretty cool template for Giant-types if you want to make a caster.

IthroZada
2011-02-28, 02:35 PM
Along with whatever you find for a +1 LA, you can also get Magic-Blooded, a +0 template that gives +2 Cha, -2 Wis, some spell like abilities and skill bonuses. It's in Dragon Magazine #306.

Ah, I missed the no Dragon Magazine bit, my bad.

Tenebris
2011-02-28, 02:45 PM
Half-Fey is +2 LA, but is very nice and Charisma-focused. Same with Phrenic.

If we list +2 LA templates, a half-vampire is also worth to mention. Sure, only +2 Cha, but nice damage reduction and fast healing. Not to mention a charm monster at will, which DC can be increased shy-high with the Irresistible Gaze feat (mostly because it stacks with the Ability Focus).

Core +1 LA charisma-boosting template is definitely a Draconic creature (RotD). And... thats all I can think of.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-28, 03:15 PM
Dark Creature doesn't give a CHA boost. Also, I wouldn't recommend that unless you're playing in Faerūn and can use the superior version in Cormyr: The Tearing Of The Weave (Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight instead of the standard Extraordinary version in Tome of Magic).

Your best bet by far is Unseelie Fey from Dragon Compendium, pages 222-223. (That's a WotC book, as required; it just happens to be a collection of things previously published in Dragon magazine.) Unseelie Fey gives +2 CHA, wings, and is LA +0! Which means you can still add Draconic (Races of the Dragon, page 74) for LA +1 and another +2 CHA.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-28, 04:20 PM
I shadow Template the one in Underdark? I know chameleon is in the same book.

Coidzor
2011-02-28, 04:51 PM
I shadow Template the one in Underdark? I know chameleon is in the same book.

Shadow Creature (LoM 167) LA +2 - any corporeal abberation, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, plant, undead or vermin TC: Unchanged; animals or vermin become magical beasts
Shadow Creature (MP 190) LA +2 – any corporeal creature TC: Magical Beast

So it looks like Lords of Madness and... uh... Manual of the Planes?

Curmudgeon
2011-02-28, 05:36 PM
So it looks like Lords of Madness and... uh... Manual of the Planes?
That would be strictly or, not and. If you've got access to the 3.5 Shadow Creature template in Lords of Madness, you can no longer use the old 3.0 Shadow Creature template in Manual of the Planes.