PDA

View Full Version : Help with gestalt dungeoncrasher/lockdown (3.5)

PollyOliver
2011-02-28, 02:44 PM
Hi everyone.

My group has been slowly working on characters for a gestalt campaign that will theoretically (it's been delayed several times) be starting in a month or so. Most of us have our character concepts set and a build at least outlined, but one of the guys in our group asked for some help. He wants to play a lockdown sort of character that can keep enemies away from the squishier party members. He also really wants to try dungeoncrasher fighter, so he wants at least six levels of that, plus improved bull rush, to figure into the build. His concept for the character is basically to run up and smack the most dangerous foe at the beginning of the fight, possibly slamming him into a wall in the process, and then basically keep the foe close so he can't get to the casters. He also likes the idea of tripping, but realizes that feats might not allow him to do all of these things well. I have very little experience with tank-type characters, so was wondering if you guys could give advice on feats or classes, or even an outline of a build.

I was thinking at least a couple levels of crusader for thicket of blades, and maybe some factotum and/or warblade for INT to bull rush and/or trip attempts, if he really wants to do that a lot. For feats, we were thinking combat expertise and reflexes (obviously), improved bull rush and/or trip, depending, and power attack. Beyond that, we're not so sure. Stand still, mageslayer, and karmic strike look like they would make a pretty entertaining combination with thicket of blades, though. Maybe shock trooper, for slamming people into other people hilarity? I will say this, though: he doesn't want to use a spiked chain.

The character creation setup is a modified gestalt; tier 1 and 2 classes are played as normal characters, while tier 3 and below can be gestalted in any combination. We're allowed to take two prestige classes at once, but no dual-progression classes. We can't mix and match between gestalt and non-gestalt either (i.e. if you take a level in wizard, you can't later gestalt rogue//fighter, and vice versa). Two flaws are allowed. Starting level is 1. We have access to core, Completes, ToB, Stormwrack, Frostburn, Sandstorm, BoED, RotW, RoS, a couple of Eberron books, Dungeonscape, Draconomicon, and any online material. My DM's not a fan of psionics, but it's not outright banned. We're in a homebrew world, but Faerun/Eberron material is often okay, as long at its not super region/deity specific, subject to DM approval.

The player's rolled stats are 18 16 15 14 8 7.

If it helps at all, other party members are (roughly):
-Elf archivist
-Race TBD wizard (knowing the player, he'll spend half or more of his time buffing, so the fighter can count on pretty good buffs)
-Elf warblade//factotum twf (me; going eternal blade and maybe also dervish)
-Halfling dragonfire inspiration bard and thrower

and two "maybes":
-Race TBD beguiler//archer of some sort
-Race TBD wild shape ranger//rogue

Any suggestions for good feats or classes would be great. Races also, but we're thinking human might be necessary for the feat. Thanks!