PDA

View Full Version : Combining magic items

ffone
2011-02-28, 03:45 PM
The rules for 'combining' (the abilities of) magic items at creation time are usually staightforward: base-price-bonus'ed weapon and armor properties have a 'squared' formula, and for most other things you sum the prices of the component abilities after multiplying all but the largest by 1.5 (with an exemption on the 1.5 for 'multiple similar abilities and, as of MIC, some of the more common things such as deflection, natural armor, ability score enhancement, resistance to saves, and energy resistance).

For example, a ring of freedom of movement is 40,000 gp, a ring of feather falling is 2,200 gp, so (DM permitting as always) a combined one would be 4,3,300 gp.

What if you have two magic items that've already been crafted, and wish to create one which is the union of the two? For example, an item a PC has and one looted from treasure, or two looted items?

I haven't found a RAW/official way - if homebrewed, how would you go about it? Maybe something like:

max(0, Price of new item - sum of prices of old items) + some extra cost

the extra cost might be a flat value (like 1000 gp) or some percentage of the total or the cheaper component items' (for example, multiply by 1.6 instead of 1.5).

Crafting time would be 1000 gp / per day as usual.

Firechanter
2011-02-28, 03:55 PM
I'm not aware of any rules for that but I had the same thoughts myself before.

So far, the only official way I see is selling one item for half the market price, and having your original item enhanced in the usual manner. Technically, that comes down to merging two items by paying half of the lesser item's value, if we assume that one ability qualifies for the x1 price rule from MIC.

"Merge Magic Items" would be a pretty cool ability, though.

Re'ozul
2011-02-28, 04:15 PM
See wether they have overlapping abilities, (usually plusses to something, or resistance or the like) take the one that costs less (or whose non-overlaping component is more expensive) and consider that the base one. Take the non-overlapping component from the other and take half that cost.

That is the cost you pay to have the ability transferred to the base item. The secondary item is destroyed in the process.
Thats how I would go about it. Yeah it might lead to crazy multi-purpose items, but that is in my mind more realistic then always buying new stuff and giving away your old things.

Downsides: If you have a lot of overlap between items, this will destroy a valuable item, so you are still better off to sell those.
Upside: If you have no overlap, you get the ability for 1/3rd the price it would cost to enchant your base item further.

I don't think this way it would break games much unless your players start scouring every monster den for even the tiniest of magic items, which again could be fun.

hydraa
2011-02-28, 04:23 PM
The Artificer's ability retain essence can strip the XP out of the item and place into his craft reserve (at the loss of the gold value).
Using our example of a ring of freedom of movement is 40,000 gp, a ring of feather falling is 2,200 gp, so (DM permitting as always) a combined one would be 4,3,300 gp.

To build the combined ring from scratch

43300gp/2=21650gp and 1732 XP
(16237.5GP {14613.75 if also an apprentice} and 1299 XP if said artificer has the artisan feats)

To add feather fall to ring of Freedom of movement

3300gp/2=1650gp and 132 XP

(1237.5GP {1113.75 if also an apprentice} and 99 XP if said artificer has the artisan feats)

SO you can harverst the ring of feather fall for 1100 GP OR 88 XP towards adding its value to the previous ring.

Please feel free to correct my math if it is wrong

Darth Stabber
2011-02-28, 04:41 PM
Those maths are the reason I prefer running a nigh unlimited magic Item shop to crafting.

I just make small town shop holder into franchisees of a interplaner magic item conglomerate that is notified via magic traps of the needs and accepts payment and another trap to teleport the item from the werehouse demiplane to the trap assuming proper payment is enclosed? Magic Walmart - Too Tippy?

slaydemons
2011-02-28, 06:36 PM
hmm someone should add this to a some sort of homebrew artificier as a capstone ability

Amador
2011-02-28, 06:53 PM
Wait, can't Artificers already destroy the extra item and keep the XP cost of its creation in their crafting points. Then just craft the magic onto something else. Sure, it might have slight additional extra cost but that's what you pay for a swiss army knife magic item.

hydraa
2011-03-01, 11:26 AM
That is what I was referring to in the retain essence ability of the Artificer.

Now lets look at doing this merging the other way around

Harvest the ring of Freedom of Movement for 20000 GP or 1600 XP

Now Add ring of freedom of movement to the existing ring of feather fall

add (40000+1100)GP/2=20550GP and 1644 XP

(15412.5GP {13871.25GP if apprentice} and 1233 XP if said artificer has the artisan feats)

This will will take 42(33) days vs 4(2) days of crafting (with the artisan feat) but nets a extra 6128.75GP OR 367 XP left over from merging the two items

So it appears that if you have the extra time then adding to the more expensive to the cheaper item appears to be more cost effective

Again please check my math
(artisan feats are from ECS and apprentice(craftsman) is from DMG2)