PDA

View Full Version : odd question about enchanting shields as weapons

Matamane
2011-02-28, 05:39 PM
Say I have a regular shield which I want to use to make bash attacks with. I enchant it as a shield, and then I enchant it as a weapon. Is that correct?

If so, what if I have shield spikes? Do I enchant the shield spikes instad of the shield for use as a weapon, or do I enchant both, or do the abilities carry over?
What if I added shield razors in addition to the shield? Do I enchant all 3, or just the razors and spikes, or does one apply to all? Any advice would be great?

pres_man
2011-02-28, 06:46 PM
Say I have a regular shield which I want to use to make bash attacks with. I enchant it as a shield, and then I enchant it as a weapon. Is that correct?

Yes, though you only have to pay to make it a masterwork shield (only have to pay 150 gp not 300 gp or 450 gp). So a shield that gave a +1 to defense and a +1 to attack would cost = 1000 gp (for +1 shield bonus) + 2000 gp (for +1 attack bonus) +150 gp (for masterwork shield) + base cost.

If so, what if I have shield spikes? Do I enchant the shield spikes instad of the shield for use as a weapon, or do I enchant both, or do the abilities carry over?

Shield Spikes
When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack.
An enhancement bonus on a spiked shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but a spiked shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

I don't think the shield spikes are separate from the shield itself as a weapon. Adding shield spikes would have just increased the base price.

What if I added shield razors in addition to the shield? Do I enchant all 3, or just the razors and spikes, or does one apply to all? Any advice would be great?

I am not sure about shield razors, not home so can't look it up, but I would imagine that a reasonable assumption would be that you couldn't put razors and spikes both a shield. But if you could, I would think it would act like spikes, that is not be separate from the shield as a weapon and so would just increase the base cost.

Matamane
2011-02-28, 08:41 PM
Honestly, I have no problem with spikes and razors on the same shield.