PDA

View Full Version : Step Over, Conquistadors! - A Campaign Log about Villainous, World-Conquering, Drow!

Lord Loss
2011-02-28, 07:17 PM
I recently started a new campaign (A phrase that’s become something of a catchphrase for me, I know, but this is the last one, I promise) with a very interesting premise and I thought I’d share it with the play grounders. It’s my very first evil campaign and it focuses on a band of Drow sent to the surface world in order to conquer it. I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out, but it’s going great. My players love the amount of freedom they get when playing in this campaign, but they also enjoy designing intricate plans to bring down whatever city, tribe or what-have-you that I happen to throw at them. I’m enjoying this immensely and I hope that you do to.

Before I get into the specifics of the campaign world and the first session, I thought I’d take an opportunity to tell you about my players. Only two could come for the first session, but most have come up with a character concept at the very least.

R. He’s a new D&D player who won’t actually admit he enjoys the game. He loudly complains about it at times, but shows up for every session and enjoys himself once we settle down and play. He doesn’t want anyone to know he plays and gets quite annoyed when I mention the fact that he’s designed his very own campaign plot for whenever he gets to DM and is eager to show it to me ( I haven’t actually seen it yet) … in hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have told you that.

C. He and D are my first two D&D players, back when we were a group of just three. He’s played in every single campaign I’ve ever ran and enjoys playing just about any kind of character. He’s a large source of comic relief, often coming up with insane solutions to simple problems, being a colossal jerk to NPCs and not paying attention when I describe things (albeit he’s Québecois and with the exception of myself, all the other players are Anglophone, so he sometimes loses track of what‘s being said, so this last one is more or less his fault). His last few characters have been described with the word “Brick” (One even being called Agent Brick), but he’s changed characters completely for this game. He’s playing a female Drow Priestess. And did I mention his reputation for… I’m fairly sure you can see where I’m going here.

D. The second member of the original trio. He is the player who most frequently attends my games (although he’s been busy recently, but I digress) and has a habit for playing angsty half-demon elves and/or Drow. I began this campaign with him in mind, whereupon he ironically enough told me that he always played angsty characters and wanted to try something new for a changed. He’s settled for a Warforged warrior of some sort, but he might change his mind once I tell him that I’ve re-acquired a copy of his favorite book, the Tome of Magic (he loves Shadowcasters).

A. One of my older players, he’s been playing with me almost as long as D and C have. He’s primarily a 4e player but doesn’t mind player 3.5. He is generally a great player, being good at problem-solving, role-playing and tactics, but admits to being difficult at times, hogging the spotlight or intentionally going against the plans of the GM or other players. Luckily, this comes up less and less over the years, he’s matured as a player quite a bit.

L. A friend of A’s. He’s my newest player and he enjoys D&D quite a bit. He doesn’t talk all that much but grasps new concepts very quickly, is a math whiz and can quickly come up with solutions to problems, albeit he doesn’t think outside the box too often. He doesn’t seem to enjoy role-playing all that much, but likes doing things in ways that lead to mass destruction and playing insane characters. When we played CoC, he wanted to know if there were rules for intentionally failing SAN checks or starting out with an insane character.

Finally, myself. I’ve been GMing for over five years and generally don’t enjoy playing in games nearly as much as I do running them. I also have a predilection for never finishing my campaigns ( I grow tired of them), a problem I seem to have solved by not planning out my plots (I have a few ideas in mind, but 90% of this game is improvised).

Now that we’re done with the introductions, onto the game itself. I’ll post the first session soon, but before that I’m going to get a few facts out of the way. Our party is composed of a Neutral Drow Wizard, a Neutral Evil Io-Rach Goblin Ranger (a Homebrew race that gets +4 Int, +2 Cha, -4 Con), a Chaotic Evil Drow Assassin and a Chaotic Evil Drow Priestess of Lolth. The races of the deep have had no contact with the surface world in eons, they have only now discovered how to undo the magic that keeps the two “worlds” separated.

So that’s that. Join me next time, when the Adventure Begins. We promise talking frog-dictators, democratic jaguar-people, machinations doomed to fail horribly, giant robots intent with unclear agendas, and other hilarity.

Please post any questions, comments and suggestions you may have!

DragonOfUndeath
2011-02-28, 09:49 PM
Subscribed.
This sounds interesting

Lord Loss
2011-03-01, 08:53 AM
I'm glad you like the premise, DragonofUndeath! Thanks for the support!

Session One: Today… The Jungle. Tomorrow… The MULTIVERSE!

The first half of this session was pretty bog standard, it felt fresh and new but as different as I would have liked. Once the PCs reached the surface and ran into their first “civilization” things really started to get interesting.

The story begins in the Drow city of Erlhei Cinlu, a large city that is currently recovering from the Priestess Wars, a civil war that took place a few years back. This war left House Tormtor in power and changed the status of just about every Drow House out their. Today, the Drow have overcome their differences in a grand effort to return to the surface world in order to conquer it.

The characters have been assigned the following mission carry the Essence of Lolth, a powerful magic item, to the Gateway - the magical gate separating the surface world and the Underdark. Of course, there’s a catch. A ritual needs to be performed on the Essence of Lolth every five hours and, should you forget to perform it, you will die. Furthermore should the ritual not be completed adequately, chances are you will die. Looking at or touching the Essence leads to the same result.
Our motley crew of insidious scumbags were presented with two options: take the safe route that takes 17 hours to complete and travels through the territory of the Io-Rach Goblins, or take the short way (12 hours) that leads through Kuo-Toa territory, sworn enemies of the Drow. They quickly decided to head through the lands of Io-Rach (and when I say quickly I mean with more squabbling, arguing and infighting than I though possible for such a relatively small matter, although I let them argue because C wasn‘t quite done his character). The Io-Rach Goblins, despite their cheerful demeanor are some of the most murderous, evil little buggers you can find in all of the Underdark. They’re worse than even the Drow. They attained power or the surface world -and were eventually banished from it - for using a substance called Liquid Pain, which they extracted from victims through a mixture of torture and magic, to fuel a process that transformed their warriors into gigantic, relatively brain-dead creatures with terrible deformities and bigger muscles than Arnold Schwarzenegger. The goblins are also excellent bargainers and merchants.

The characters didn’t go far before running into an arachnid horror* , which they quickly recognized as a Shunned. It apparently knew the priestess -a fact which she denied, before recognizing it as one of her old allies, a Drow by the name of Shadner who had failed the Tests of Lolth and never been seen again. After a few minutes of talking, they struck up a bargain with Shadner, who was to provide them with guidance towards the surface in exchange for protection from the creatures of the deep. Shadner knew many shortcuts, reducing their journey’s time by nearly half (it took them almost exactly ten hours). They walked for a few more hours before running into a duo of goblin merchants named N’ac and Fen. They rode a caravan, which was pulled by their “brother”, a Io-Rach Brute (goblin who underwent the terrible metamorphosis detailed above). Their prices were far higher than those of most Underdark merchants, but after a bit of bargaining they brought the prices down a bit. Vice - the Ranger - bought some rations, the Assassin bought a few vials of poison and the Priestess bought a few doses of Liquid Pain, a substance which could replace XP during the creation of magic items. The characters then moved on, quickly reaching one of the morbid Io-Rach spawning pools, where the dreaded Brutes were created in a terrible process. Corpses and screaming goblins filled the pools of acid and a metal rack dropped those who wanted to undergo the transformation into the acid**
At the far end of the cavern stood a tent surrounded by freshly spawned Brutes. The characters headed to the tent, where a goblin wearing a top-hat and suit and holding a magician’s wand offered to let them undergo this “wonderful” transformation for a small fee of two-hundred and fifty gold pieces each, if they survived! They politely declined at first, but he followed them, continuing to badger them. They didn’t say much, but just picked up the little guy and dumped him in the drink, despite his offers to pay them to let him live. The Brutes didn’t seem to care (or notice?), so the characters went into his tent and looted it.

A few hours later, they reached the Gateway, where a large group of Drow and other races (Duergar, Deep Kobolds, Io-Rach Goblins, Lesser Drow, Svineblin, etc.) had set up camp. They had forgotten to perform the ritual until then, so they quickly began chanting… unfortunately, the priestess made an error and the cloth covering it was overturned, whereupon all quickly shielded their eyes, excluding a curious warrior who had been peering at them and quickly succumbed to a vile death, being eaten alive by spiders bursting out from his stomach.*** A Drow priestess came up to them and scolded them for their inability to complete the simplest of tasks, whereupon she took the Essence of Lolth and the ritual to open the door began. A few moments later, the warriors and spell casters were assembled near the Gateway and freedom was assured in a blast of gloriously blinding light. And then the screaming began.

The characters, having been punished for their error by being sent to the back of the assembled Drow, caught glimpses of what was going on, but only managed to regain their eyesight and stop their heads from spinning a few moments later, when a gigantic, white, robotic centaur with golden wings tore through wave upon wave of warriors. In seconds the battlefield was but a sea of corpses and only the five who had been smart enough to hide within the Underdark survived. The centaur-bot came forth, but two voices coming from its mouth began to argue about what they should do, one being male, the other female (it went something like female: Kill the weak! Male: protect the innocent! Etc.) before the male voice said “Return Sequence Initiated” and the creature disappeared in yet another flash of blinding light. Only the characters and the priestess that had scolded them upon their arrival survived.

The players all agreed to sleep here for the night, spend the next few days scouting the surface world before reporting back to the Drow homelands, as it was no use returning just to report the opening of the Gateway. The next day, they went and took a look around. They could see a gigantic range of volcanoes and a swamp/jungle-type place, behind which stood a floating tower which emitted golden light. The characters headed for the golden tower (and, therefore, the swampy, jungle-type place), avoided yet another robot, this one having spikes on its back, upon which hung corpses and sat a peculiar little girl who was in all likelihood insane. Reaching the jungle, a group of strange, froglike creatures**** ran out. None of them spoke Common, Undercommon or any language the characters knew, so they communicated through hand-gestures. They agreed that the group would follow the frogs and went on their way, into the jungle. Negotiations were eased by the comforting presence of multiple long, sharp sticks held by scowling frogs.

They journeyed through the jungle, whereupon the frog-people were jumped by a trio of jaguars. The characters chose to watch and see what would happen and saw that the jaguars managed to kill a few frogs before two were killed. The last transformed into a humanoid, half-jaguar shape and took a frog-creature hostage. It spoke to the characters, explaining that he was Kahl-Ehan, a member of the Hijawel tribe. The introductions didn’t get very far, however, as Kahl-Ehan turned and ran, going back into his original form as he did so.

Shortly afterwards, the characters reached the tree-village of the frogs, where they were led to the leader of the frog-people. He actually spoke common, so he welcomed them to his village and explained that they were the Siv. When questioned about their differences with the Hijawel, he explained that the jaguars overvalued personal freedom and thought that just anyone should be allowed to rule, instead of a ruler carefully selected ruler chosen by someone who knew what he was doing and had the tribe’s best interests in mind (the previous ruler, that is). As the players put it (they didn’t tell this to the leader, obviously) “So the Siv are a dictatorship and the Hijawel are democratic). The characters were then led to their tent and had their weapons and holy symbols confiscated. The remark “I thought we were guests” was met by a dry chuckle from the leader.

Vice, however, had managed to slip in a blade and quickly cut a hole in the tent and began to sneak out, attracting the attention of the guards. They were quickly manacled to each other and left there, spending the night uncomfortably and gaining little sleep. The next morning, they explained themselves to the leader, saying that they had only meant to go make a truce with the Hijawel (stupid streak of SEVEN natural twenties). The leader laughed and told them that their initiative, whilst well-meant was useless, but, there was no harm in trying, and so he gave them an iron orb that floated around Vice’s head and monitored their progress.

The Siv handed Vice a map of the region, explaining that there were many, many small Hijawel settlements and two larger Siv ones, as well as one or many (they weren’t sure) Shifter settlements near a location known as the Cavern of the Moon. There were also rumors of werewolves living around there. The final location was a place known as the Temple of the Frog. The wannabe conquerors set off and, a few minutes later, Vice explained his plan to the others. In Abyssal. So, if the Siv leader happens to speak Abyssal, they’re screwed. As to the plan itself, it consisted of convincing both sides that they were soon going to be raided by the other and having them leave their towns, then either getting the Shifters or the Drow to come and burn down their empty villages and claim the natural resources. We’ll see how it goes (*facepalm #1*) .

The characters headed for the largest of the Hijawel settlements, but got lost and ended up in another settlement. Luckily this happened to be where Kahl-Ehan lived. They were informed that he was a Scout (and curiously enough, they didn’t get any weird looks due to their appearance). They were disappointed by his low status, until they found him practicing his combat in one of the largest rooms of the palace, the only building not made out of wood, but rather out of earth and stone. They were admitted to the room where Kahl-Ehn stood. Now, as for the negotiations, Vice had the largest bonus to diplomacy, so he conducted the negotiations and had the others talk to and distract the orb floating around his head by giving an update of what was happening. And that’s where the session ended (*facepalm #2*).

Images

* http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/DrowUnderdark_Gallery/104479.jpg

** http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_5.jpg

*** http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/DrowUnderdark_Gallery/104458.jpg

**** http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG78.jpg

If you'd like information on the setting or a copy of the map I handed the players, more info on the two tribes the characters encountered, etc. just post. Also, I'd like to know if you enjoyed the length and amount of description provided (too long, too short?), as well as the images. Did you like them? Join me next time when we see where this 18 INT character's insane plan leads!

Salbazier
2011-03-02, 09:14 AM
*Subscribed*

Be it drows or aasimar PCs are ever the same. Always making insane plans :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2011-03-02, 09:56 AM
Indeed :smallbiggrin:. This particular plan doesn't even near the stupidity level of some plans in our old campaigns...

Today should be the second session of our campaign, but before that I,d like to announce that we have a new player, RK. She's a friend of mine, A's and L's. She played a Druid in my friend's brother's 4e Campaign (in which I also play a Druid) and in my Dread One-Shot. She's the best role-player I've ever met and will be playing an outcast of the Hijawel Tribe. She's going to be Neutral (or perhaps good) and is interested in playing a Bard (She's never played 3.5, only 4e Essentials).