PDA

View Full Version : One Piece game...M&M or BESM?

kornwiser
2011-02-28, 07:19 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to run a game in the One Piece universe for a few of my friends, and was wondering whether you all thought it would be better suited to be run in Mutants and Masterminds or BESM. I've never played either system, but I've read the rulebook for M&M a couple times and it seems like it can handle an anime-style game pretty well. I've only glanced at the rulebook for BESM, but from what I saw it had a pretty similar character creation format (spend points on stats and power effects), although I didn't read anything about how the mechanics of the system played out.

What do you all think?

horngeek
2011-02-28, 07:35 PM
I'm more familiar with M&M (specifically 2e), and I can say this: the standard effects, with a little work, can handle almost anything you can think up. Apparently, the same is true for 3e.

Aidan305
2011-02-28, 07:54 PM
My group used BESM for it. It worked well.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-28, 08:10 PM
If your game going to be Devil Fruit use heavy, I recommend M&M, because it is explicitly meant to handle superpowers, as well as being quite flexible.
I don't know much about One Piece, so take that advice with a grain or two of salt.

true_shinken
2011-02-28, 08:16 PM
M&M, no contest.

Mando Knight
2011-02-28, 08:19 PM
Both systems can handle this kind of game fairly well if you're clever enough to work with the rules. On the other hand, both can be fairly complex. I'd read through both and pick the system you like better.