PDA

View Full Version : Wandchucks? [3.5]

true_shinken
2011-02-28, 08:44 PM
I have a player in an upcoming game that decided on a Warforged melee Artificer, probably Artificer 4/Fighter 2. Now, this player is not really into mechanics, and he sometimes gets confused when playing a Rogue and trying to set up sneak attacks.
He texted me an idea of using wandchucks for his character. I immediatly thought - nunchuks with wandchambers. But I know there are some feats for using wands in melee, so I'd like to know if the playground can help me here.
Also, shouldn't nunchuks be double weapons? I'll just make them double weapons.

Welknair
2011-02-28, 08:46 PM
Yes they should. I'd say that Dual Wand Wielder from Complete Arcane should be had by any wielding these things... But frankly, what's the advantage of having wands in the nunchucks? Just to save a move-action to draw a new weapon? And wouldn't he still need Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use the nunchucks in the first place?

true_shinken
2011-02-28, 08:50 PM
Yes they should. I'd say that Dual Wand Wielder from Complete Arcane should be had by any wielding these things... But frankly, what's the advantage of having wands in the nunchucks? Just to save a move-action to draw a new weapon? And wouldn't he still need Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use the nunchucks in the first place?
Wandchambers are good for plenty of reasons.
1) You have a weapon ready while you cast the spell, meaning you still threaten an area
2) You don't spend a move action to get the wand
3) Your wand can't get sundered
But yes, he'd still need Exotic Weapon Proficiency, sure. Wandstrike + Dual Wand Wilder, sounds like a plan? (I know it sounds awesome, but does it sound like a plan?)

WildPyre
2011-02-28, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure you can consider nunchucks a double weapon. Double weapons are things like a staff where you can hit with either end without changing the way you hold the weapon, and with nunchucks you're using one part as a handle and one part as a flail. The handle part ceases to be a striking surface.

It would be like considering a nightstick a double weapon because you can hold either end and strike somebody, you'd still need to adjust your grip.

Ernir
2011-02-28, 08:55 PM
Refluff a quarterstaff as nunchucks, I say. There you go, room for four wand chambers.

Welknair
2011-02-28, 08:56 PM
Hmm. Yes, that does sound do-able. However, I think a Seven Section Staff would be much better for these purposes... Namely as both ends are still striking surfaces. If you aren't familiar with it (Exalted knowledge, FTW) it's pretty much a Nunchuck, but with 7 sections instead of 2.

true_shinken
2011-02-28, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure you can consider nunchucks a double weapon. Double weapons are things like a staff where you can hit with either end without changing the way you hold the weapon, and with nunchucks you're using one part as a handle and one part as a flail. The handle part ceases to be a striking surface.

But with a nunchuk, changing the grip is part of the attack sequence, it just flows from one attack to the other. And nunchuks suck already, throwing them a cookie wouldn't hurt.

WildPyre
2011-02-28, 09:02 PM
But with a nunchuk, changing the grip is part of the attack sequence, it just flows from one attack to the other. And nunchuks suck already, throwing them a cookie wouldn't hurt.

When used as a single weapon rather than a pair yes you do switch from holding one end to the other, but you also have to take into account that you're switching to your off hand when doing that, so... yeah you're opening up more trouble going into that.

**EDIT**

I'd see that more as dual wielding a single weapon rather than using it as a double ended weapon.

true_shinken
2011-02-28, 09:06 PM
I'd see that more as dual wielding a single weapon rather than using it as a double ended weapon.
Hm, I'm afraid adding a property like this would make nunchuks a tad too strong. One EWP for 'enchant one weapon and it works like one!' sounds like too much... maybe an 'Advanced Nunchuk Proficiency' thing. Dunno. Maybe I should just drop the idea. The point is about swordwandchucks, after all.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-28, 09:07 PM
I give you the 21 wand salute.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8660426&postcount=21

Just carry a tube over your shoulder with a strap like a bazooka, with a bundle of wands secured inside and pointed towards the open end. Then you can lift it over your shoulder and level it at your enemy as you cast...

Cog
2011-02-28, 09:11 PM
Double weapons only give extra attacks if they're wielded in two hands. If you want to give them a boost, then maybe...

'If he is proficient in their use and takes the full-attack action, the wielder of nunchucks may make one extra attack at his full attack bonus, but this and every other attack in that round takes a -2 penalty. The wielder may not claim this extra attack more than once per round, no matter how many nunchucks he wields.'

true_shinken
2011-02-28, 09:19 PM
Double weapons only give extra attacks if they're wielded in two hands. If you want to give them a boost, then maybe...

'If he is proficient in their use and takes the full-attack action, the wielder of nunchucks may make one extra attack at his full attack bonus, but this and every other attack in that round takes a -2 penalty. The wielder may not claim this extra attack more than once per round, no matter how many nunchucks he wields.'

Yeah, I should just do a Nunchuk Flurry feat. Or something.
Or maybe you should consider Bruce Lee was a monk.

Shyftir
2011-02-28, 09:28 PM
Pshhah! Bruce Lee was obviously an (mostly) unarmed swordsage.

Cog
2011-02-28, 09:31 PM
Eh, I don't think giving nunchucks a boost is a bad idea. Even as a martial weapon, they wouldn't have much going for them with their current stats: +2 to disarm doesn't even offset the penalty for using a light weapon. To make them exotic could certainly warrant something more. A first-level monk making three attacks at MAD-reduced Strength -4 sure doesn't sound gamebreaking, either.