PDA

View Full Version : [slightly spoiler] When will Xykon show up again?

Geordnet
2011-02-28, 09:27 PM
It's been almost 70 strips and over 11 months since we last saw anyone from Team Evil, and almost twice as long since we've seen Xykon himself. Since he is, after all, the comic's lead villain, it's only a matter of time until he shows up again.

So, place your bets (in real fake money) on when Xykon (or Redcloak, the Monster, etc.) will show up, in terms of plotline or number of strips, (not calander time) and how so. Bonus points if you guess why he left on that mysterious quest of his early, and if he's got his phylacraphy back or not.

Winner of the bet gets an E-Cookie, the losers pester one of the admins until he gives it to him. ;D

My money's that he left early to look for Girard's Gate, but couldn't find it despite practically walking on top of it, and now he's off for Kraggor's Tomb. We'll find this out on strip #801, after everyone's gaurd is down. The Monster In The Dark will find the phylacraphy on the beach, but won't know what it is; nor will Xykon notice he has it. Redcloak might, but will keep it a secret. We might not know the Monster has it until strip #1313, where he finally steps out of the shadows... ;)

Edit: Fixed Typos

MoonCat
2011-02-28, 09:30 PM
I don't know when Xycon will show up, but I'm guessing Xykon is going to appear sometime just after the whole Tarquin issue is resolved.

Morquard
2011-02-28, 09:31 PM
Who's this Xycon you're talking about? Is he related to Zykon?

martianmister
2011-02-28, 09:40 PM
Xycon will never show up because he is such a loser.

http://xycon.deviantart.com/

NegativeFifteen
2011-02-28, 10:11 PM
The point being made here is it is spelled Xykon.

And we have no idea, no elements of the current storyline indicate when Team Evil will show up, except for maybe when the order finally gets info about Girard.

Edit: Upon thinking about it, I guess if one of the important gladiator matches were about to start, that be a good opportunity for The Giant to piss us off and cut to what Team Evil is up to.

Morgan Wick
2011-02-28, 10:27 PM
My guess is somewhere around #800, but not quite on the mark. Seems about right to wrap up the gladiatorial stuff, get info on Girard, and take off. Probably more likely to be later than sooner; we may be in the middle of an unbroken string right to the battle at Girard's Gate.

Geordnet
2011-02-28, 10:56 PM
Oops, lol xD

Fixed it, but that only shows how long he's been absent: so long I forgot how to spell his name!

It's been 114 strips and counting, he better be back soon or the noobs will start going "Who's Xykon?"!

Sylthia
2011-02-28, 11:16 PM
My guess: a handful of strips right after the gladiator fights, but before the Tarquin arc is fully resolved.

Morgan Wick
2011-03-01, 12:35 AM
By the way, I dredged up this old post from one of my many battles with David Argall:

Take at least 40 strips out of the next ~180-page book for Girard's Gate, then, and probably more. The Haley/Nale/Elan business also looks to take at least 40 strips and could, as you say, be split between multiple plots to expand it to 60.

Well, looks like 60 was an understatement, and by the time we get to Girard's Gate there won't be much more than 40 strips left in the book!

zql
2011-03-01, 10:51 AM
I think that now is Nale's time to come over. My bet is that Xykon would reappear on the very last strip of the current book, right after the order makes contact with Girard, around strip 850, with his "new trick" ready and set.

Sylthia
2011-03-01, 12:59 PM
A thought: Maybe what Tarquin knows about Girard and the gate he learned from Nale.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-01, 02:50 PM
He won't be back for a good, long while. Which is unfortunate as he's easily the most entertaining character in the strip. He already had a cameo appearance in this story arc ("Nuts") just to show us he's still around, and distressingly, that he won't be around until the arc is over. The Azurites had similar one-frame appearances. This could last a long time, folks. Xykon hasn't been out of the strip for over a year and a half and I'm betting another year or so before he reappears. :xykon: Especially with the slow updates.

I could be wrong, and I really hope I'm wrong. It's like reading a James Bond novel with no James Bond in it.

:redcloak: Bring back :roach: Team Evil :mitd: and Xykon! :xykon:

Leecros
2011-03-01, 03:02 PM
A thought: Maybe what Tarquin knows about Girard and the gate he learned from Nale.

He and nale aren't exactly on talking terms...

Dr.Epic
2011-03-01, 03:05 PM
It's been almost 70 strips and over 11 months since we last saw anyone from Team Evil, and almost twice as long since we've seen Xykon himself. Since he is, after all, the comic's lead villain, it's only a matter of time until he shows up again.

Xykon showed up here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html). That was like 40 strips ago.

Commander672
2011-03-01, 03:13 PM
I can think of no other surprising twist (although I wouldn't be surprised if their was no twist) than for the Oots to finally find Durwhatsit's mancave only to discover Xykon's already takin it over with a local army scavanged from the local climate. (phone call to Redcloak's hobgloblin army for some minion-on-minion action ensues) :smallbiggrin:

The odds of this are impossibly slim, I know, but then again consitering some of the previouse story arcs...

ThePhantasm
2011-03-01, 03:46 PM
He won't be back for a good, long while. Which is unfortunate as he's easily the most entertaining character in the strip. He already had a cameo appearance in this story arc ("Nuts") just to show us he's still around, and distressingly, that he won't be around until the arc is over. The Azurites had similar one-frame appearances. This could last a long time, folks. Xykon hasn't been out of the strip for over a year and a half and I'm betting another year or so before he reappears. :xykon: Especially with the slow updates.

I could be wrong, and I really hope I'm wrong. It's like reading a James Bond novel with no James Bond in it.

:redcloak: Bring back :roach: Team Evil :mitd: and Xykon! :xykon:

Well, IMHO, Xykon, like many charismatic villains (Darth Vader, etc.) is most effective when he is not overused but only really shows up now and again.

Sylthia
2011-03-01, 05:48 PM
He and Nale may not be on talking terms, but he may have discovered that Nale was now on the western continent and either captured him or scryed on him.

Narren
2011-03-01, 07:41 PM

I had no idea how long I'd been reading this comic until you said that. That blows my mind.

Geordnet
2011-03-01, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but remember that Nale didn't know anything about the gates until after he disguised himself as Elan and got Lord Shojo to tell him about it.

But yeah, now that I think about it Nale really should show up sometime in the Tarquin arc, since it'd fit in nicely.
I agree with the Xykon-on-the-Last-Page-of-the-Book theory too.

Edit: Maybe, if we're really, really goodevil, we'll get a Xykon strip as a Christmas present this year! xD

MesiDoomstalker
2011-03-01, 08:53 PM
I say that Xykon will pop up in a random one frame appearence at least 2 more times before he shows up for real. I also think he won't show up for real near the end of the current book or when oots finally finds Girard. Also he will be accompanied by Team Evil and had inexplicably recovered his phlactery. Then the begining of the next book will show what he's been up to. Just my 2 coppers.

Manga Maniac
2011-03-02, 11:14 AM
I can't help feel that Xykon's going to turn up at the last minute and deliver a superbly over-the-top fate worse than death to Tarquin, perhaps without even knowing who he is.

If he does know who he is, I wouldn't be surprised if it will be a tactical plan in order to take control of the place and get some more expendable minions. You only have so many reserves, after all.

But that's just me guessing.

Sylthia
2011-03-02, 01:27 PM
Before Girard's gate is resolved, Xykon will have to find his phylactery or give up looking for it, since he will be at Girard's gate before Kraager's per the oracle.

Dvandemon
2011-03-02, 02:36 PM
Oops, lol xD

Fixed it, but that only shows how long he's been absent: so long I forgot how to spell his name!

It's been 114 strips and counting, he better be back soon or the noobs will start going "Who's Xykon?"!

And then we'd go, read the GD strips :smallfurious: because seriously how do you know what's going on (and why they keep mentioning him)

Faramir
2011-03-02, 04:36 PM
We'll cut to him right after Tarquin says, "And now that the games are over allow me to introduce you to my good friend Girard."

redcodekevin
2011-03-02, 06:56 PM
[snip] he left early to look for Girard's Gate, but couldn't find it despite practically walking on top of it, and now he's off for Kraggor's Tomb
[...]

REALLY nice to see I was not the only one with this theory. In any event, it would make the Oracle's response still valid: he will be within 1000 feet of Girard's Gate but not see it either.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but it looks like Team Evil may indeed have the correct location for Girard's Gate (see the discussion of the locations in 300 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html)), which would make the theory moot.

TriForce
2011-03-02, 07:10 PM

i actually find this VERY plausible... i mean, its tarquin who said he wanted to arrest nale, and i for one, doesnt trust that man for a single pixel

redcodekevin
2011-03-02, 07:27 PM
i actually find this VERY plausible... i mean, its tarquin who said he wanted to arrest nale, and i for one, doesnt trust that man for a single pixel

As Geordnet said, Nale did not know anything about the gates prior to impersonating Elan (378 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0378.html)). If Tarquin knows anything about the gate it's more plausible that he knows it from Girard himself.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-03, 10:52 PM
We'll cut to him right after Tarquin says, "And now that the games are over allow me to introduce you to my good friend Girard."

Sense that make doesn't.

It's a puzzle. Try and decode it.

KoboldRevenge
2011-03-03, 11:53 PM
^ Doesn't THAT make sense?:smallamused:

Besides I don't think we'll ever see team evil again or have any forward movement with the plot at all. We will just keep being distracted on side missions and character back-story and never stop going through a endless circle of meaningless plot untill the characters realize what has happened to them and decend into madness killing each other in a useless attempt to give their lives meaning again!!!Ahahahhahaaa!! :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-03-04, 03:10 AM
^ Doesn't THAT make sense?:smallamused:

There was no question mark in my puzzle.

Leolo
2011-03-04, 05:26 AM
He is already there. Xykon is the elf who stares at V. :smallbiggrin:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-03-04, 06:53 PM
He is already there. Xykon is the elf who stares at V. :smallbiggrin:

Given that Xykon is a Sorcerer and thus has a limited spell selection, he may not have polymorph/shapeshift in his repetroire. We've already seen that most of his spells have combat in mind. Granted shapeshift can be very useful in combat, at Xykon's level there is few things he could turn into that would be an improvement from his base lich sorcerer form.

KoboldRevenge
2011-03-04, 07:54 PM
There was no question mark in my puzzle.

What puzzle... :smallconfused: