PDA

View Full Version : Far Realms monsters

Noedig
2011-02-28, 11:12 PM
Thinking about throwing some of these crazy gits at my party. Problem is that I can't find any rules on them. Help?

The Glyphstone
2011-02-28, 11:16 PM
Their HP is Fish. They have +Blue to attack rolls with each of their 9001/0 natural weapons and deal carrot damage per hit. All their stats are Sqrt(-1), and they move at Pi ft./round.

More seriously - the closest thing you'll find to published Far Realms entities are the Mind Flayers of Thoon in MM5, a group of Flayers who went to the Far Realms and "came back wrong (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CameBackWrong)". Otherwise, you'll have to homebrew.

Serpentine
2011-02-28, 11:17 PM
Aren't pseudonatural creatures pretty explicitly meant to be Far Realmsish?

Zaydos
2011-02-28, 11:18 PM
There's also the Psuedonatural Template (Complete Arcane and Lords of Madness) and Half-Farspawn Template (Lords of Madness) which are kind of the Fiendish and Half-Fiend templates for the Far Realm. There's also a Dragon Magazine (forget which one) which covered some Far Realm creatures. Finally Xoriat from Eberron is supposed to be roughly analogous to the Far Realm and its creatures usable as Far Realm ones.

Angry Bob
2011-02-28, 11:20 PM
1)Take a corporeal creature.
2)Apply the Half-Farspawn and pseudonatural templates to it, in that order.
3)Prepare for the game by locking yourself in a badly-lit room with a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories. Read them all. Pay close attention to the descriptions, that's what you're trying to emulate.
4)???
5)Profit.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-28, 11:21 PM
Nngh, yeah. You're better off just slapping pseudonatural on some other creature you like, or have a half-farspawn guy act as an agent for his crazy, inconsistently-shaped father.

LOTRfan
2011-02-28, 11:30 PM
If you're willing to use Eberron stuff, Xoriat is supposed to be Far Realms-esque. Throw a couple of Akleus at 'em.

Noedig
2011-02-28, 11:31 PM
That's another thing that comes to mind. I need a repository of Lovecraftian lore. Any ideas there?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-28, 11:38 PM
The Chaosium Call of Cthulhu rulebook is quite a good collective resource. In fact you can almost just throw the monsters there at your PCs as if they were far realm creatures (because they basically are) if you wanted to. You just need to adjust their strength bonus to D&D terms.

You can also use the d20 Call of Cthulhu rulebook. It isn't as good, but the stats are already compatible with 3.X editions.

zorba1994
2011-02-28, 11:40 PM
Honestly: Buy the a collection of H.P. Lovecraft's stuff (and At the Mountains of Madness), read it.

Now just use normal monsters, but describe them as the half-lit monstrosities from HP's best.

mobdrazhar
2011-02-28, 11:47 PM
isn't the stuff in Eldar Evils Far Realm?

Sdonourg
2011-03-01, 12:01 AM
Mooncalf from MM2 is from Far Realms. There is a Dragon Magazine Issue, full of Far Realms monster.

Angry Bob
2011-03-01, 12:05 AM
Of the critters in Elder Evils, I'm pretty sure only Father Llymic is from the Far Realm.

MrSinister
2011-03-01, 12:08 AM
Kaorti

forget what book they're from but they are denizens. Same book also has this weird flying mount thing they use, I THINK its called a Skybleeder.

Noedig
2011-03-01, 12:25 AM
Did a search for some ideas to compliment those given here.
Two words.

Slender Man.:smalleek:

mobdrazhar
2011-03-01, 12:40 AM
Of the critters in Elder Evils, I'm pretty sure only Father Llymic is from the Far Realm.

really? i was under the impressions that all of them were... will have to check it again when i get home

Shpadoinkle
2011-03-01, 01:38 AM
Their HP is Fish. They have +Blue to attack rolls with each of their 9001/0 natural weapons and deal carrot damage per hit. All their stats are Sqrt(-1), and they move at Pi ft./round.

Pretty much.

If you're looking for ways to generate how they appear, I drew up some random generation charts a while ago (can't find them now or I'd post them.) But I remember is had tables for body type, number of appendages, type of appendages, what kind of mouth it had (long snout, humanlike, or buglike, stuff like that.)

One of the first things I rolled up with those tables was a giant human hand, except it had two thumbs (one on either side), a large eye growing on a stalk (like a snail's) from where the wrist would be, and a human like mouth on the back that constantly emitted oddly musical tones (it wasn't singing, that was just the noise it made.)

hamishspence
2011-03-01, 03:52 AM
Epic Handbook has the Uvuudaum (native to the Far Realm) and the Neh-thalaggu (native to the Plane of Nightmares- which borders the Plane of Dreams and the Far Realm. As well as a more powerful pseudonatural template.

The issue of Dragon with Far Realm stuff was, I think, #330.

Tvtyrant
2011-03-01, 04:27 AM
Chaos Beasts & Gibbering Mouthers are examples of far realmy creatures; essentially find things that are really weird and tentacle/buggy. Psuedonatural Formians would be kinda cool actually...

drakir_nosslin
2011-03-01, 05:38 AM
Take a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122103), beginning at post 26 and a few posts down for adventuring in the Far Realms and monsters.

MrSinister
2011-03-01, 06:02 AM
In the Ravenloft book Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead has a slew of weird abilities you can tack onto undead that would go well with non-undead Far Realm stuff too. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the ability that no matter how far you run away or travel, the creature is always at the edge of your vision, behind you. Just stalking you.... speaking of Slender Man...

As an aside, has anyone tried to stat out Slenderman in 3.5 or 4e?

Thurbane
2011-03-01, 06:30 AM
Throwing the Pseudonatural, Half-farspawn or Anarchic template on a variety of Aberrations wouldn't hurt, either.

I was recently statting out a Half-Farspawn Truly Horrid Umber Hulk:

HALF FARSPAWN TRULY HORRID UMBER HULK
Huge Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 20d8+240 (330 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 sqaures), burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +14 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+37
Attack: Claw +27 melee (3d6+14)
Full Attack: 2 claws +27 melee (3d6+14) and bite +27 melee (4d6+7) and 2 tentacles +27 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 15 ft/15 ft.
Special Attacks: Confusing gaze, spell-like abilities, true strike
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., change shape, damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison, resistance to acid 10 and electricity 10, SR 25, tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +7, Will +15
Abilities: Str 38, Dex 12, Con 35, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +14, Climb +37, Concentration +23, Jump +33, Listen +26, Sense Motive +26, Spot +14, Tumble +14
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (claw), Multiattack, Quicken Spell Like Ability (greater invisibility), Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Awesome Blow, Improved Multiattack
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Change Shape (Su)
Confusing Gaze (Su): DC 23
Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day blur, blink, ethereal jaunt; 1/day - touch of idiocy (DC 15), stinking cloud (DC 16), greater invisibility, telekinesis (DC 18), scinitillating pattern, summon monster IX (pseudonatural animals or vermin only), implosion (DC 22). Caster level 20th. The save DC is Charisma-based.
True Strike (Su): 1/day
Languages: Abyssal, Terran, Undercommon

Lord Loss
2011-03-01, 09:15 AM
Kaorti

forget what book they're from but they are denizens. Same book also has this weird flying mount thing they use, I THINK its called a Skybleeder.

I was about to post this. they can be found in Fiend Folio. Kaorti are people who went into the Far Realm and came out a horrible abominations.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-03-01, 02:02 PM
Wystes are described in a couple of pre-made adventures as being of the Far Realm...

AtomicKitKat
2011-03-02, 01:08 AM
Start with Aberrations(Beholders, Illithids, Aboleths, pretty much everything listed in Lords of Madness), and work your way up from there.

dsmiles
2011-03-02, 09:45 AM
Also, there was a Cerebrosis article in a Dragon Magazine (the one with the mind flayer eating some dude's head, #330?) that detailed 4 or 5 far realms monstrosities, plus a couple of magic items, feats and spells.

Things that make you go alhmclasuhbealwtablcmanlkqwudcalg,s :smalleek:

Callos_DeTerran
2011-03-02, 10:45 AM
Also, there was a Cerebrosis article in a Dragon Magazine (the one with the mind flayer eating some dude's head, #330?) that detailed 4 or 5 far realms monstrosities, plus a couple of magic items, feats and spells.

Things that make you go alhmclasuhbealwtablcmanlkqwudcalg,s :smalleek:

Yeah...that's one of my favorite issues! Also has rules for when the Far Realm extrudes itself unto the regular world. Big fun!

dsmiles
2011-03-02, 10:50 AM
Yeah...that's one of my favorite issues! Also has rules for when the Far Realm extrudes itself unto the regular world. Big fun!Ditto. I based an entire 4e class around cerebrosis. :smallwink:

Thurbane
2011-03-06, 09:30 PM
You could re-fluff some of the Obyrith (sp?) Demons into Far Realms/Lovecraftian horrors. Those with the Form of Madness ability would seem especially apt. Check out FC1 - I think there's also one in Elder Evils, and possibly a couple in the later Monster Manuals (4 & 5).

If you can get a hold of the d20 Call of Cthulhu (3.0), some of the featured monsters would make great Far Realms denizens.

Land Outcast
2011-03-06, 10:54 PM
Great source for inspiration on far realm creatures, with kickass illustrations:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

begooler
2011-03-06, 11:24 PM

I'd camels to bezel you snarfle a cookie.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-07, 12:14 AM
I believe psurlons (MM II/LoM) are from the Far Realm, or descendants from former inhabitants. They're psionic worm-people!

Lhurgyof
2011-03-07, 12:24 AM
What about the Kaorti?

I believe psurlons (MM II/LoM) are from the Far Realm, or descendants from former inhabitants. They're psionic worm-people!

Actually, they're from the Astral Plane and tried to link their whole race psionically, it failed and caused a huge rift which sucked them all into Dark Sun.

Edit: They may not have been originally from the Astral plane, and may just dwell in Athas' astral plane, I'd have to dig out the old AD&D monster compendium to check, though.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-03-07, 12:30 AM
Lords of Madness says that the psurlons 'arose in the Far Realm,' page 8. I guess these would be generic psurlons, as opposed to Dark Sun psurlons. *shrugs*

Lhurgyof
2011-03-07, 12:37 AM
Lords of Madness says that the psurlons 'arose in the Far Realm,' page 8. I guess these would be generic psurlons, as opposed to Dark Sun psurlons. *shrugs*

I'm guessing they changed the fluff from AD&D to 3.5 to adapt them to other settings. :smallsmile:

Edit: Just checked on Wikipedia. The only other AD&D supplements they showed up in other than Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium 2: Terrors Beyond Tyr was Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III.

Noedig
2011-03-07, 01:51 AM
I like what we've got so far. How about pictures?

Benly
2011-03-07, 02:52 AM
The module that first introduced the Far Realm introduces a few monsters which are explicitly from the far realm and establishes some others without pre-existing backstory as being far realm creatures. Off the top of my head and a quick skim: gibbering mouthers are established as far realm creatures, so are deepspawn, Gibberlings are creations of deepspawn and hence sort of "second-generation" far realms beings, wystes are far realm creatures, neh-thalggu are native to the far realm but have colonized other worlds, and the dharculus I believe debuted in this module.

For 3E, deepspawn and gibberlings are in Monsters of Faerun. The dharculus is in the Planar Handbook. Wystes are in Monster Manual II. The neh-thalggu is in the SRD, but is an epic-level monster.

Lhurgyof
2011-03-07, 12:33 PM
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t358/Gothenem/Psurlon1.png

Psurlons.

Land Outcast
2011-03-07, 12:40 PM
As I said...
Great source for inspiration on far realm creatures, with kickass illustrations:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=842&stc=1&d=1113090097http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=820&stc=1&d=1110926585http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=832&stc=1&d=1112394232

Noedig
2011-03-07, 01:20 PM
@Land Outcast: For some reason your first link to that site didn't agree with my computer, however now it does. Thank you for posting it.

alchemyprime
2011-03-07, 07:14 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080905012150/aliens/images/thumb/5/57/Emperor_Sea_Strider.jpg/300px-Emperor_Sea_Strider.jpg

This thing always looked LOvecraftian to me.

AslanCross
2011-03-07, 07:26 PM
Dragon 330 has a bunch of Far Realm monsters that like turning things into amoebic sludge.

Lords of Madness has the Half-Farspawn and Pseudonatural templates. Epic Level Handbook has the Ps3Ud0n4tur41 template. The Odopi from MM3, Rukarazyll from MM2 are also in the "That's pretty messed up" territory.

EDIT: All the Lovecraftian art you will ever need. (http://www.nightserpent.com/lovecraft.html)

The Glyphstone
2011-03-07, 07:48 PM
Now that i think of it, I actually wrote up a set of rules for randomly generated Far Realm beasts for an old GitP contest. It's not searchable anymore, but I still have the file saved - I'll try to update it and repost it.

dsmiles
2011-03-07, 07:53 PM
http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=842&stc=1&d=1113090097http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=820&stc=1&d=1110926585http://attachments.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=832&stc=1&d=1112394232GAH! :eek: Things that make you go arglblargl...

Thurbane
2011-03-07, 08:12 PM
The module that first introduced the Far Realm introduces a few monsters which are explicitly from the far realm and establishes some others without pre-existing backstory as being far realm creatures. Off the top of my head and a quick skim: gibbering mouthers are established as far realm creatures, so are deepspawn, Gibberlings are creations of deepspawn and hence sort of "second-generation" far realms beings, wystes are far realm creatures, neh-thalggu are native to the far realm but have colonized other worlds, and the dharculus I believe debuted in this module.

For 3E, deepspawn and gibberlings are in Monsters of Faerun. The dharculus is in the Planar Handbook. Wystes are in Monster Manual II. The neh-thalggu is in the SRD, but is an epic-level monster.
Gates of Firestorm Peak? man, that's a sweet module - I own a copy, but we never got around to running it back in our 2E days. :smallfrown:

...I'll have to try and do a 3.5 conversion and run it sometime.