PDA

View Full Version : TWF with large great falchion

D Knight
2011-02-28, 11:17 PM
hi all am in need of help with this build. Race is Half brass dragon Warforged and no i will not change with the starting lv at 9th and we just leveled up to 10th. Stats are Str 26, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14 and all stat adjustments are there. class is Crusader and feats are Dragons Breath(not changeable), Addamintine body, and combat reflex. All books are open but not dragon mag. i also have an item from the MiC called strongarm bracers pg 139.

And yes you did read the race right my dm is allowing it.

Siosilvar
2011-02-28, 11:24 PM
I er... more specifically?

You want this character (9th level Crusader, half brass dragon Warforged and one preselected feat) to dual-wield Large sized two handed weapons, I presume?

Do you want this build built up to 10th level or built to 20th from where you are?

Also, I can't think of anything that would allow you to use a two-handed weapon in anything less than two hands. Monkey Grip, Strongarm Bracers, and Powerful Build only go so far - that is, getting you the size increase.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-28, 11:24 PM
hi all am in need of help with this build. Race is Half brass dragon Warforged and no i will not change with the starting lv at 9th and we just leveled up to 10th. Stats are Str 26, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14 and all stat adjustments are there. class is Crusader and feats are Dragons Breath(not changeable), Addamintine body, and combat reflex. All books are open but not dragon mag.

And yes you did read the race right my dm is allowing it.

What makes you think you're going to be doing any two-weapon fighting with that build?

D Knight
2011-02-28, 11:28 PM
BAD ME!! sorry did not see that it was a two hand weapon

Studoku
2011-02-28, 11:29 PM
I'm probably going to regret asking this but how does a warforged become half-dragon?

As for two-weapon fighting, I don't know of a way to even get the TWF feat without 15 dex (although I presume there's an alternate in one of the complete books- there usually is ;)).

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-28, 11:32 PM
I'm probably going to regret asking this but how does a warforged become half-dragon?

As for two-weapon fighting, I don't know of a way to even get the TWF feat without 15 dex (although I presume there's an alternate in one of the complete books- there usually is ;)).

Well, the other way is to be a ranger, but I automatically figured that was out. Ah, another way though would be to use Tiger Claw(?) maneuvers, though that's a bit limited, and would require feats as a crusader.

D Knight
2011-02-28, 11:34 PM
ok you asked. well it happened when dragons blood fell in to the creation forge just before i came out. cause you can argue that warforge are born in a sense and there fo are able to get the templet.

Darrin
2011-03-01, 07:44 AM
BAD ME!! sorry did not see that it was a two hand weapon

Not a problem for TWF. If your DM will allow you to add armor spikes or spike stones (4000 GP, Maug graft, Fiend Folio p. 214) to your composite plating, you can use those as your off-hand weapon. Or you can use an unarmed strike as an off-hand weapon (Bracers of Striking, Ring of Might, or Fanged Ring can grant the Improved Unarmed Strike feat). Some DMs will also allow you to add your slam as a secondary attack (-5 attack penalty, 1/2 Str bonus on damage).

If you use a medium-sized great falchion, with the Strongarm Bracers you can wield it one-handed with a -2 weapon size penalty. Add the Heavy property (+7000 GP, Magic of Faerun p. 179) and the damage goes up to 2d8, similar to a large-sized great falchion (3d6).

Or you can add more arms. Per Savage Species, permanence can be used on girallon's blessing. A two-level dip into Totemist can give you extra arms as a soulmeld. The Spare Hand (12000 GP, MIC p. 137) can wield a light weapon if you can get a 3rd-level infusion cast on it. You're already a half-dragon, you could add a Taloned Arm (Races of the Dragon) for 34000 GP. And we haven't even gotten into alter self or polymorph shenanigans, but briefly: change into a thri-kreen, diopsid, tako, or dolgrim. Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, Arms & Equipment Guide p. 135) can do this up to 7HD and has an indefinite duration.

If you can get your hands on an unawaked/lesser sunsword +1 (3000 GP, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p. 210), you can add the Morphing property (+1 enhancement, MIC p. 39) to turn it into a great falchion that can be wielded as either a light weapon (shortsword), one-handed exotic weapon (bastard sword), or a two-handed martial weapon (bastard sword).

Gnome Alone
2011-03-01, 11:37 AM
ok you asked. well it happened when dragons blood fell in to the creation forge just before i came out. cause you can argue that warforge are born in a sense and there fo are able to get the templet.

"I have told you people time and again, you DO NOT slay dragons on the production floor of my magic robot factory! Take them outside!"

D Knight
2011-03-01, 11:48 AM
Or you can add more arms. Per Savage Species, permanence can be used on girallon's blessing. A two-level dip into Totemist can give you extra arms as a soulmeld. The Spare Hand (12000 GP, MIC p. 137) can wield a light weapon if you can get a 3rd-level infusion cast on it. You're already a half-dragon, you could add a Taloned Arm (Races of the Dragon) for 34000 GP. And we haven't even gotten into alter self or polymorph shenanigans, but briefly: change into a thri-kreen, diopsid, tako, or dolgrim. Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, Arms & Equipment Guide p. 135) can do this up to 7HD and has an indefinite duration.

If you can get your hands on an unawaked/lesser sunsword +1 (3000 GP, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p. 210), you can add the Morphing property (+1 enhancement, MIC p. 39) to turn it into a great falchion that can be wielded as either a light weapon (shortsword), one-handed exotic weapon (bastard sword), or a two-handed martial weapon (bastard sword).

yeah i thought about the blessing my self this morning. how much would that cost me? also never heard of the sunsword.

Darrin
2011-03-01, 12:43 PM
yeah i thought about the blessing my self this morning. how much would that cost me?

Paying for a spellcaster to cast a 3rd level spell is only 150 GP, assuming you find one with the minimum caster level (CL 5 x 30 GP = 150 GP). If it's the same spellcaster casting the permanency, then the minimum caster level per Savage Species is CL 13.

Girallon's blessing CL 13, 390 GP
Permanency CL 13, 650 GP
XP cost, 7500 GP
Total: 8540 GP

The biggest headache there is permanency can be dispelled, so you generally want the highest CL you can afford.

also never heard of the sunsword.

It's an "unawakened" version of the Sun Blade in the DMG (the original "bastard sword you can wield as a short sword" weapon). Actually, I think it's been in the game since AD&D module I6: Ravenloft. The version in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft borrows some of the Weapons of Legacy rules so you can perform some rituals to "awaken" it into the full Sun Blade version, but there's nothing in the text that says the lesser sunsword is unique or that a similar non-legacy knockoff would cost any different.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-01, 03:03 PM
The biggest headache there is permanency can be dispelled, so you generally want the highest CL you can afford. Actually, the biggest headache here is that Girallon's Blessing has been updated in Spell Compendium except without the note that this spell can be made permanent with Permanency.

Also the high CL need applies to both spells, because either spell can be dispelled. (If Permanency is dispelled then Girallon's Blessing will have long since passed the end of its normal duration. And of course if Girallon's Blessing is dispelled then Permanency does nothing.) You'd have to get high CLs for both Girallon's Blessing and Permanency.

dextercorvia
2011-03-01, 03:18 PM

Only about half of the traits of a parent get passed on. So, very rarely, when a Half-Fey Warforged and a Half-Dragon Treant love each other very much....

Darrin
2011-03-01, 06:38 PM
Actually, the biggest headache here is that Girallon's Blessing has been updated in Spell Compendium except without the note that this spell can be made permanent with Permanency.

There is no note in the original description of girallon's blessing that it can be made permanent. Whether or not a spell can be made permanent depends on whether or not it is mentioned on page 260 of the PHB (the permanency spell itself) or page 60 of Savage Species (supplemental rules for additional spells that can be used with permanency).

A spell printed in a later supplement may mention in its description that it can be made permanent (notably, the wall of <blah> spells in Frostburn and Sandstorm), but this isn't *required*, nor does the lack of it contradict anything on page 260 of the PHB or page 60 of Savage Species.

The major differences with the Savage Species version of girallon's blessing and the Spell Compendium version is the number of extra arms is fixed (no longer based on the target's size), the "extra arms can be confusing, make a Will save" and "no additional attacks" language has been removed, and the mechanics of how to treat four additional claw attacks is described. But there's nothing in the Spell Compendium that contradicts or supercedes the rules on page 60 of Savage Species. By RAW, those spells can still be targets for permanency.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-01, 07:03 PM
There is no note in the original description of girallon's blessing that it can be made permanent.
I didn't say the note was in the spell description itself.

A spell printed in a later supplement may mention in its description that it can be made permanent (notably, the wall of <blah> spells in Frostburn and Sandstorm), but this isn't *required*, nor does the lack of it contradict anything on page 260 of the PHB or page 60 of Savage Species.
The contradiction is that the Savage Species note is for that older version of Girallon's Blessing. Since the new version is substantially different and replaces the old spell in any campaign that uses Spell Compendium, whether a DM will allow Permanency for that different spell is going to be an individual choice. Use of Permanency with the newer Girallon's Blessing might fly, or not, depending on each DM's decision. That, to me, constitutes a headache.