PDA

View Full Version : Positive Necromancy

Milo v3
2011-03-01, 02:36 AM
In my campaign Healing spells are classed as Necromancy instead of Conjuration. And also for each spell that uses negative energy theirs a positive version of it.
So any positive versions of the negative spells.

Here an example:
Circle of life

School:Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Several undead creatures within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throws: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

A circle of life snuffs out the life force of undead creatures, killing them instantly.

The spell slays 1d4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level (maximum 20d4). Creatures with the fewest HD are affected first; among creatures with equal HD, those who are closest to the burst’s point of origin are affected first. No creature of 9 or more HD can be affected, and Hit Dice that are not sufficient to affect a creature are wasted.

Material Component: The powder of a crushed white pearl with a minimum value of 500 gp.

Agrippa
2011-03-01, 02:43 AM
That's pretty much just the same as circle of death frankly. And if you're going for an oppisite of circle of death why not have it raise the targets to life instead?

Milo v3
2011-03-01, 02:51 AM
That's pretty much just the same as circle of death frankly. And if you're going for an oppisite of circle of death why not have it raise the targets to life instead?

Its supposed to be a polar opposite, not a complete opposite. If its function is to different then it won't be equal to the orginal.

I wonder how "Energy Drain" would work as a positive energy version. These are the sort of spells I would like to see as Positive Energy spell but I don't really have any ideas on how positive energy would work.

Zaydos
2011-03-01, 02:59 AM
Are you familiar with Undeath to Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undeathToDeath.htm). It's a core spell it's the reverse of Circle of Death.

As for Energy Drain one possibility is temporary hit dice like from a bard's Inspire Greatness.

Milo v3
2011-03-01, 03:10 AM
Are you familiar with Undeath to Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undeathToDeath.htm). It's a core spell it's the reverse of Circle of Death.

As for Energy Drain one possibility is temporary hit dice like from a bard's Inspire Greatness.

I'm not familiar with bard's nor anti-undead spells. And thank you for telling me about "Undeath to Death".

What does the inspire greatness do?

Zaydos
2011-03-01, 03:36 AM
Inspire Greatness (Su)

A bard of 9th level or higher with 12 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting him or her extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally with a single use of this ability (two at 12th level, three at 15th, four at 18th). To inspire greatness, a bard must sing and an ally must hear him sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the bard sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependant. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability.

It isn't the best fit but it's a place to start. I think the best fit might be in Complete Psionic but I'm not sure.

Milo v3
2011-03-01, 05:05 AM
Maybe it fits. But is it balanced to turn a class feature into a spell. Which gets HD up no less.
I don't own any Psionic themed sourcebooks and all my knowledge of them (In D&D) comes from D&D Wiki.

Mayhem
2011-03-01, 06:37 AM
An undead creature gains temporary hitpoints from energy drain, so just do it in reverse like undeath to death. Positive enervation seems like the most useless spell concieved however, especially since it's 9th level:smallconfused:.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-03-01, 11:21 AM
An undead creature gains temporary hitpoints from energy drain, so just do it in reverse like undeath to death. Positive enervation seems like the most useless spell concieved however, especially since it's 9th level:smallconfused:.

There are a good number of spells that can provide temporary hit points, the only difference is they don't harm undead.

boomwolf
2011-03-01, 12:37 PM
Its supposed to be a polar opposite, not a complete opposite. If its function is to different then it won't be equal to the orginal.

I wonder how "Energy Drain" would work as a positive energy version. These are the sort of spells I would like to see as Positive Energy spell but I don't really have any ideas on how positive energy would work.

"Positive levels" giving bonuses as a mirror of "Negative level" minuses? (and the two cancel each other out)

Southern Cross
2011-03-01, 02:01 PM
Interesting idea. The question I'm asking though,if these spells are the reverse of standard arcane necromancy spells,what kind of arcane caster could cast them?

bloodtide
2011-03-01, 03:47 PM
You want to be careful. You don't want to make just opposite negative necromancy spells. That will be kind of boring and pointless. To make a 'positive vampire touch' that did damage, for example, does not add much to a spell list.

There are a ton of homebrewed positive energy necromancy spells around. You might look into them.

Circle of Life, is a bit of an odd name for a spell that just destroys undead. You might want a better name. And you might as well make it a positive energy spell too.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-03-01, 04:02 PM
You want to be careful. You don't want to make just opposite negative necromancy spells. That will be kind of boring and pointless. To make a 'positive vampire touch' that did damage, for example, does not add much to a spell list.

There is an opposite vampiric touch already, its called healing touch. It heals the wounds of the target by damaging the caster, as opposed to healing the caster by damaging the victim.

"Positive levels" giving bonuses as a mirror of "Negative level" minuses? (and the two cancel each other out)

That sounds kind of overpowered,
Enervation gives undead 1d4x5 temporary hit points, so a positive energy based enervation would do the same in theory to living creatures.

Milo v3
2011-03-01, 05:00 PM
I now know a better name for Circle of Life. "Death to Undeath"

The thing is positive and negative supposed to be polarised oppossite while perfectly equal.

Negative Levels turning into positive levels is not equal. It is amazingly overpowered.

bloodtide
2011-03-01, 05:36 PM
There is an opposite vampiric touch already, its called healing touch. It heals the wounds of the target by damaging the caster, as opposed to healing the caster by damaging the victim.

Well, that is what I'm talking about. Healing touch is not just vampiric touch with the energy changed. A positive touch would do damage and such just like vampiric touch, but healing touch does not do that.