PDA

View Full Version : Resting and Recovering X/day abilities

Cogidubnus
2011-03-01, 10:25 AM
If I have an SLA that I can use, say, 5 times per day, does it come back after I rest, or 24 hours after I first used it?

This is in relation the Ring of Sustenance which allows you to treat 2 hours rest as 8.

Gnoman
2011-03-01, 10:32 AM
Depends on the DM. In my games, per day means per day.

Gnome Alone
2011-03-01, 10:38 AM
Depends on the DM. In my games, per day means per day.

Okay, but are you defining day as "a 24-hour period" or the period of time in which people are active? Because if it's the former, it seems like resting wouldn't actually help the PCs - instead their spells and such just regenerate at the stroke of midnight or something. That's actually less realistic than them regenerating at the end of, say, a 10 hour day of activity followed by 8 hours of rest.

Gnoman
2011-03-01, 11:38 AM
A day is 24 hours. That's why I bolded it. I also only allow spell slots to rearm in 24 hours.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-01, 11:42 AM
A day is 24 hours. That's why I bolded it. I also only allow spell slots to rearm in 24 hours.

That'd drive me loony, personally. Especially if you're, say, being sieged, you need to be able to recover between attacks, which means resting whenever you can. Of course, you can choose to avoid such situations.

Gnoman
2011-03-01, 11:46 AM
That's the price you pay for being a caster class.

Amnestic
2011-03-01, 11:50 AM

Do you have a fluff reason about the magic effects of 24 hours? After a rest makes a degree of sense. 24 hours seems...pretty arbitrary.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-01, 12:03 PM

That doesn't make much sense. I mean, two of the weakest classes are Paladin and Knight, whose defining abilities are a certain number per day (Smite Evil and Knight's Challenge). Take those away and they're just featless fighters.