PDA

View Full Version : Jeopardy 2: Revenge of the hairless ape.

pendell
2011-03-01, 12:29 PM
Everyone remembers Watson, the supercomputer that beat all the Jeopardy champions?

Well, it seems we had a rematch. And Watson lost (http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/in-the-know/36-news/8433--rep-holt-beats-watson-the-computer-at-jeopardy).

To a politician of all things.

So I guess the quest for an unconquerable supercomputer is going to need a little bit more work -- possibly just some tweaks to the existing algorithm.

Possibly the set of people who are most skillful at Jeopardy does not match the set of people most likely to actually enter the game show and become champions. After all, most of us have, I don't know, jobs.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

KenderWizard
2011-03-01, 12:50 PM
I showed this to my boyfriend, because he and I watched a bit of the original Watson game, where Watson won, so I thought he'd be interested.

He was REALLY interested, as it turns out that guy Holt was an old friend of his (my boyfriend's) dad! Funny how the world works. :smallsmile: So thank you for sharing that, Pendell, it made my boyfriend very excited!

Icewalker
2011-03-01, 08:30 PM
He didn't lose to just a politician, look at the article you linked. The politician part isn't important: the guy is a five time jeopardy champion, nuclear physicist, Rhode scholar, etc etc. So, Watson is just on the scale of the best people, not superior to all people. :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2011-03-04, 06:33 AM
The supercomputer lost to a smart politican...must be a HOAX !

Eloel
2011-03-05, 08:15 AM
The supercomputer lost to a smart politican...must be a HOAX !

Smart politician.

That's why the computer lost - he couldn't identify his opponent, because his opponent is an endangered species.

Moonshadow
2011-03-05, 10:03 AM
Smart politician.

That's why the computer lost - he couldn't identify his opponent, because his opponent is an endangered species.

You mean that the computers opponent was a mythical creature, right?

Eloel
2011-03-05, 11:01 AM
You mean that the computers opponent was a mythical creature, right?

Or that, yea.