PDA

View Full Version : the lauge of anti rail roading

flare X2
2011-03-01, 01:17 PM
I have the published adventures necromancers spire and fortress of the yanti but for a reason. I had heard that it rail-roaded so I looked for a taster and by jove it did. So I went about making my own version where the pc's decend into the tomb and have to solve riddels with hidden morals to open the door to the kings corpse. but how do i do this withought having a collection quest or making it a straight line? Also if any one has any general tips for anti-railroading please show them.
Thanks in advance.

Zuljita
2011-03-01, 01:28 PM
to be honest i don't think its fair to criticize a pre-written adventure for railroading... that is what you get automatically when you use a pre-written adventure.

Yora
2011-03-01, 01:30 PM
To be fair, he only says that he wants to do something else with it. Not that they shouldn't have written it as it is in the first place.

But I just can't figure out the title of this thread. I assume there's a typo or something. What did you really want to name it?

Giggling Ghast
2011-03-01, 01:32 PM
But I just can't figure out the title of this thread. I assume there's a typo or something. What did you really want to name it?

"Lauge"? What the hell's a lauge? Is that like a luge?

Zuljita
2011-03-01, 01:34 PM
league is what i think he means.

flare X2
2011-03-01, 01:35 PM
leauge as if in leauge of extrodinary gentlmen. (is that how you spell it?:smalltongue:)

FMArthur
2011-03-01, 01:42 PM
I thought it was supposed to be laugh and couldn't figure it out.

flare X2
2011-03-01, 01:45 PM
okay now that we all know i can't spel can we consintrate on the subject?

Caliphbubba
2011-03-01, 01:54 PM
The best way to avoid rail-roading is to give the players choices. You need to either make it so they want to progress through the encounters because of character reasons or be prepared for them to do something else when the lure of treasure and adventure in that particular dungeon isn't what they decide they want to do.

In my games I tend to craft a world with NPCs and factions that have goals. The PCs can interact with these NPCs and factions in whatever way they see fit, but you can be sure that if they DON'T act upon them the NPC/Factions goals' will start to become realized. These goals are rarely things that the PCs will find advantageous.

So it becomes a choice of as to what they want to deal with, and what they want to save for later.

Once they make the choice, in my experiance they continue on with it till the end.

ClockShock
2011-03-01, 02:33 PM
First give them a key. Describe its appearance but not its function.

Let the players create their own adventure as they search for whatever damn thing it is that the key unlocks.

nedz
2011-03-01, 07:25 PM
For some reason I read it as The Gauge of Anti Rail Roading. Which almost makes sense, and is only out by one letter.
Actually I quite like that turn of phrase: Sigged.

Anyway, back to the point:

Don't run the adventures, just take any good ideas from them; oh and rework them for good measure.

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=nedz;10474069]For some reason I read it as The Gauge of Anti Rail Roading. Which almost makes sense, and is only out by one letter.
Actually I quite like that turn of phrase: Sigged.
QUOTE]

now only the first letters G.A.R.R

my thought could be stupid:
I say maybe take the BBEG and rework the entire campaign so they take place in the same place but try to derail the railroad so its alot more free and open