PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice as a first time DM

GeekGirl
2011-03-01, 02:52 PM
Greetings all, as the title says, I'm looking for some advice. I've been playing table tops for a for a few years, but have taken my first role as DM. The main villain of the arc is a Drow necromancer (dread necromancer out of HH); I just need a good cohort for him and am not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

(forgot to add 3.5)

Yukitsu
2011-03-01, 02:56 PM
It'll depend more on his personality and resources than his class. Generally, pick someone with a good reason to be loyal to him, and who contrasts his abilities. In this case, a strong direct fighter type would be a good compliment.

Deathslayer7
2011-03-01, 03:02 PM
A cleric might not be a bad choice either.

Caliphbubba
2011-03-01, 03:14 PM
A powerful, freewilled, intelligent Undead fits thematically I would think. Probably something that could serve as a main melee type. So much the better it was created by the DN with Corpse Crafter feats, but giving free-will for exemplary service and/or co-inciding goals.

I think the last time I did a necromancer BBEG, one of his main cohorts was a Hooded Minion (at least I think that is the name of the template, it's from Libris Mortis.)

McSmack
2011-03-01, 03:18 PM
yeah I'd definitely go with either a cleric or a heavy melee type - perhaps a fighter or a barbarian. You could make the cohort undead for some added flavor - a vampire fighter or blackguard. Or do something crazy and give him a huge undead warg or something...
...that sounds like a good idea....I might use that
<grabs paper and starts writing>
....MWHAHAHAHA

Urpriest
2011-03-01, 03:25 PM
Incidentally, you probably shouldn't make the character a literal cohort, in the sense of the Leadership feat. If you're going to give the guy a lieutenant-type, you should probably just include both in calculating the encounter level.

GeekGirl
2011-03-01, 03:35 PM
Incidentally, you probably shouldn't make the character a literal cohort, in the sense of the Leadership feat. If you're going to give the guy a lieutenant-type, you should probably just include both in calculating the encounter level.

No its not a literal cohort. I was thinking cleric, but blackguard would also be fun. What race was my other concern.

It'll depend more on his personality and resources than his class. Generally, pick someone with a good reason to be loyal to him, and who contrasts his abilities. In this case, a strong direct fighter type would be a good compliment. I dont have the real details of his personality worked out, his overall goal is to become a Lich. I still have a few weeks before they will meet him.

Also thanks for all the responses so quick ^_^

Yukitsu
2011-03-01, 06:16 PM
Unlike rest, I'm going to dissent on the undead thing. The class gives him undead as class features, making his right hand man just another undead thing is kind of redundant. Same to cleric, as I find dread necros are actually closer to clerics than to wizards in practice.