PDA

View Full Version : Smithsonian Exhibit - The Art of Video Games

Lord of Shadows
2011-03-01, 05:15 PM
"The Art of Video Games" is a new exhibit coming to the Smithsonian from March 16 to Sept 12, 2012. Read the article here:

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/

From the article:

"The Art of Video Games is one of the first exhibitions to explore the forty-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects and the creative use of new technologies.

From February 14 through April 7, 2011, the public is invited to help select games to be included in the exhibition. You can vote online for eighty games from a pool of 240 proposed choices in various categories, divided by era, game type, and platform.

A valid e-mail address is the only requirement to vote. Once registered, you can vote for one game in each genre on each system, for a total of eighty votes. You can only vote for one game in each category, even if you do not vote at all in some categories. The winning game from each genre on each system will be included in the exhibition."

To go straight to the voting website:

http://www.artofvideogames.org/

I think I'll vote for Final Fantasy...

Enjoy!

Keld Denar
2011-03-02, 04:27 PM
This is pretty cool. Video games get a bad rap sometimes, but really are often amazing pieces of art. I've been to the Video Games Live concert now 2 years running. Video game music played by an orchestra. Its been going on for like, 10 years or so now, and its starting to really get some great critical appraise. Just because a song or score is from a video game doesn't make it any less art than a song or score from a movie or other media.

Three cheers for video game art in any form!

Ravens_cry
2011-03-03, 12:59 AM
I bet the good people at Extra Credits will love this.

Teddy
2011-03-03, 05:11 AM
This is pretty cool. Video games get a bad rap sometimes, but really are often amazing pieces of art. I've been to the Video Games Live concert now 2 years running. Video game music played by an orchestra. Its been going on for like, 10 years or so now, and its starting to really get some great critical appraise. Just because a song or score is from a video game doesn't make it any less art than a song or score from a movie or other media.

Three cheers for video game art in any form!

On this topic I must note that the Civilization IV theme Baba Yetu won a Grammy last month. My inner Civ nerd has been jumping in joy since I got to know that. :smallbiggrin: