PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Seven Lost Rings of Mhzentul

arguskos
2011-03-01, 05:39 PM
In the AD&D Forgotten Realms supplement Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (my favorite game supplement ever), there is an entry for the Seven Lost Rings of Mhzentul, a collection of seven magical rings crafted a mage by the name of Mhzentul (go figure right?). For an upcoming campaign, I have an NPC who's obsessed with Mhzentul's rings, so I felt that I should update them all. I figured that, as long as I'm already updating them, I may as well post them here. They're not going to be perfect translations, but they'll be pretty close.

The majority of the Seven Lost Rings is a unique, powerful, ring of spell storing, and they all share two powers. First, the rings ignore each other for purposes of the number of magical rings a character can wear at once (so, you can wear all seven at once and use them all, but you can't wear any other ones, and would have to remove six in order to wear anything else). Second, all the rings have the ability to use a heal spell on the wearer at their option (standard action, mental activation), but doing so deactivates the ring in all other ways for 2 days. This heal power also purges the wearer of charms and unnatural changes in state (invisibility, petrification, polymorphing, etc). The Seven Lost Rings, unlike other rings of spell storing, have set spells and regenerate their spells every day. Each ring is a simple mithral band inscribed with a complex set of indecipherable runes (the language has long since passed out of memory) that somewhat indicate the function of the ring. The caster level for each ring is 20. Any spell with an asterisk will be detailed at the end of this post.

The Seven Lost Rings of Mhzentul!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/TheSevenLostRingsofMhzentul.jpg
Top row, from the left: ring of burning, ring of coldfire, ring of night, ring of scribes.
Bottom row, from the left: ring of stone, ring of the tashala, ring of wayfaring.

Ring of Burning: The runes on this ring seem to suggest leaping flames or burning of some kind, but little else can be determined from visual observation. The ring of burning contains the spells Agannazar's scorcher, Beltyn's burning blood, fire stride, Flamsterd's flamestrike*, and shroud of flame.

Ring of Coldfire: The runes on this ring are indicative of icicles or snowflakes, but like its warm brother, little else can be determined from visual observation. The ring of coldfire contains the spells cone of cold, icelance, moonfire, Snilloc's snowball swarm, and wall of ice.

Ring of Night: The swooping, swishing runes on this ring seem to resemble wings or wind currents. The ring of night is unique among its brethren in that it is not a ring of spell storing, instead granting two unique powers. First, the wearer of the ring gains darkvision out to 120 ft, or their existing darkvision increases in range to 120 ft (if it already is 120 ft or longer, this ability does nothing). Second, once per day as a full-round action, the wearer may call the spirit of the ring forth to serve them, the ring morphing into a maximum hit point gargoyle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gargoyle.htm) with HD=the character level of the summoner. This gargoyle obeys the commands of the summoner without question or hesitation, and serves for 24 hours, until destroyed, or until exposed to direct sunlight for 3+ rounds (at which point it is destroyed). When one of the above conditions is met, the gargoyle vanishes and turns back into the ring on the wearers finger. While in gargoyle form, the wearer loses the darkvision benefit of the ring of night.

Ring of Scribes: The runes on this ring are letters from dozens of other languages, all overlaid on top of each other in layer upon layer. If magic is employed to attempt to read the writing, it translates out to the word "understanding" over and over again, spelled out of almost 3 dozen languages. The ring of scribes holds two copies of each of the following spells: arcane mark, comprehend languages, erase, read magic, secret page, and true seeing.

Ring of Stone: This band's markings are seven repetitions of the same rune, presumably meaning something involving rock or earth. The ring of stone grants the ability to cast stone shape twice per day, and once per week (as a full-round action) can turn into a maximum hit point shield guardian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shieldGuardian.htm) with HD=the character level of the summoner. This shield guardian works exactly like the ring of night's gargoyle transformation, but is not subject to sunlight destruction.

Ring of the Tshala: The runes on this band are a simple consistent script that is outlined in leaping flames, similar to the ring of burning. The ring of the tshala holds the spells flaming sphere, fireball, wall of fire, delayed blast fireball, and meteor swarm. However, each time the ring is called upon to produce a delayed blast fireball or a meteor swarm, there is a 50% chance that the wearer is transformed into a tshala (use the elder fire elemental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#fireElemental) stats), or greater firetail, an elemental creature of destruction. This effect lasts for 10 rounds or until the wearer wills to change back (standard action, at-will during the duration). Upon turning back, and at the end of each round, there is a 10% cumulative chance that the effect ends and the wearer is subject to a triple-strength shroud of flame spell. This effect cannot be negated in any way, save by being dispelled (DC 31 to dispel), though it ends if the wearer dies from the damage. This damage cannot be obviated by any known method. The ring is unaffected by the damage.

Ring of Wayfaring: The runes on this ring are connected by a single unbroken line. The ring of wayfaring holds two copies of each of the following spells: find the path, Jhanifer's deliquescence*, Quimby's enchanting gourmet*, Spendelarde's chaser*, Tulrun's tracer*, and unseen servant.

Spell Sources:
Agannazar's scorcher, Beltyn's burning blood, shroud of flame, fire stride, moonfire, and Snilloc's snowball swarm can be found in the Spell Compendium as scorch, burning blood, shroud of flame, fire stride, moonfire, and snowball swarm, respectively.

New Spells:

Flamsterd's Flamestrike
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M, F (see below)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft+5 ft/2 levels) or Touch (see below)
Target: One creature or one object
Duration: 3 rounds or until triggered
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You complete the spell, and a column of flames roars into life around the target, trapping and consuming them in a raging inferno

A dual-function spell, Flamsterd's flamestrike can be cast in one of two ways, as either a trap on an object or as a direct damage effect.

As a damage dealing spell, Flamsterd's flamestrike deals 1d6 fire damage/two caster levels (max 10d6) to the target for each round of its duration. Any items on the target that would be susceptible to being lit on fire are damaged appropriately (magic items get the appropriate saving throws). As a duration effect, spellcasting is appropriately hampered, making Flamsterd's flamestrike a favored spell in spell duels.

As a trap, Flamsterd's flamestrike is cast upon an object and given a pass phrase. If a creature touches the warded object without speaking the pass phrase, the trap activates, subjecting them to the damaging effects of the spell, as above. The trapped object registers as magical if inspected magically, and can be dispelled as normal. A Flamsterd's flamestrike trap is permanent until disturbed.

Material Component: a pinch of saltpeter, a pinch of iron filings, a piece of phosphorous, and a pinch of ashes.

Focus (trap only): The item to be trapped.

Jhanifer's Deliquescence
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: Medium (100 ft+10 ft/level)
Target: 10 cubic ft/caster level
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: None (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

With a wave of the hand, the ice wall before you melts, freeing your passage.

This spell enables the caster to insantly melt ice, frozen liquids and other substances that freeze within 10 degrees of water's freezing point. Such melting does not involve heat, steam or the consumption of fuel.

Repeated applications of this spell can turn solids into liquid form, and 10 deliquescence spells equal the effect of a transmute rock to mud spell.

Animated or enchanted creatures of stone receive a save and a stone golem shrugs off the effects. Success negates the spell. Living cratures, even if stony, are unaffected.

Material Component: a piece of amber and a piece of ice.

Quimby's Enchanting Gourmet
School (Subschool) [Descriptor]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Range: Personal
Effect: 1 invisible, shapeless servant
Duration: 1 hour/caster level
Saving Throw: None

With a gesture, you cause a perfect cook to come into being, ready to serve your whims in the kitchen.

This spell functions like unseen servant but is far more focused on a singular role, that of cooking. The enchanting gourmet is a perfect cook, with ranks in Profession (cook) equal to your caster level. It can take any actions needed to perform its duties in the kitchen (cutting, measuring, carrying, stirring, minding the fire, etc), even fairly skilled techniques (such as sautéing or making a perfect roux). However, it can only make anything the caster has personally made at some point in his or her life.

Should something disrupt the smooth flow of cooking (such as an explosion in the kitchen, or a dragon showing up), the gourmet will seek the advice of the caster.

Material Component: a block of wood and some string.

Spendelarde's Chaser
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous

As the spell completes, the fuzzy feeling in your forehead fades, and you can think clearly again. Truly, this spell is a gift from the gods.

Originally developed as a way to facilitate mental recovery from brewery research expeditions (ie. a hangover cure), it was later discovered to have useful side effects against other drugs and poisons.

When cast, the chaser automatically purges the target of all drugs (including alcohol) and negates their effects upon the target. If the target has already taken damage from a drug (ability damage or hit point damage), the chaser has no effect on that damage, only negating the drug, not repairing its effects. The spell has no effect on insanity or magically-fueled drugs.

If used on a target suffering from a poison, the spell grants another saving throw at a +4 bonus.

Material Component: a drop of holy water.

Tulrun's Tracer
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 hour/caster level

You complete the spell, and the string in your hands begins to glow, suddenly extending itself off into the distance, forming a glowing line for you to follow.

A greater version of [/i]locate creature[/i], Tulrun's tracer creates a magical line that follows the physical path of a single creature that was within 10 ft of the place the spell is cast at within one day/caster level. The tracer is a luminescent line that moves at 60 ft/round that tracks the path of the target creature until that creature either ceases to touch the ground for a lengthy period of time (ie. simply jumping isn't going to deter the tracer, but hopping on an airship will) or the tracer finds them, in which case it will follow them until the duration ends. Should the target teleport, change planes, mount a conveyance (such as a cart, a ship, or an aerial vessel), or die during the spell's duration, the tracer ends.

Spells of level 4 or less that obfuscate tracks or trails cannot stop the tracer, though more powerful effects can. The tracer is intangible and invisible to any but the caster. If the tracer ends, upon reaching that end, the caster is given a mental picture of the reason for the tracer ending. If the spell's duration expires without having found the creature or ending, the tracer fades into nothingness and the caster gains no such mental image.

Material Component: a piece of string.

arguskos
2011-03-02, 03:20 PM
Man, 62 views and not a word? These must be perfect! :smallcool:

Obviously not. Please comment? I'll be sad if you don't. :'(

Elfstone
2011-03-02, 03:40 PM
*snip*
A greater version of [/i]locate creature[/i],

Ill probably use these...

Any bonus for having them all?

Pricing?

arguskos
2011-03-02, 03:52 PM
Any bonus for having them all?
You can use them all.

Pricing?
Uh... I'm bad at that, so no? If someone wants to give me a hand, that'd be nice. If not, no worries.

boomwolf
2011-03-02, 04:13 PM
Seems like unique artifacts for me, meaning they are priceless...

Overall this is incredibly powerful, and should not be used unless they are some sort of plot-related set of artifacts and the BBEG is activly searching for them. (and slowly gaining them, making him more and more dangerous...)

PCs should NEVER get hold of more then one of these.

arguskos
2011-03-02, 04:21 PM
Seems like unique artifacts for me, meaning they are priceless...
Possibly.

Overall this is incredibly powerful, and should not be used unless they are some sort of plot-related set of artifacts and the BBEG is activly searching for them. (and slowly gaining them, making him more and more dangerous...)
Well, the ring of burning, ring of coldfire, ring of scribes, and ring of wayfinding are all fairly reasonably powered. The other three are somewhat stronger though.

I did kind of see them as plot-related items, or as items with a history and a unique feel that could be used for fun stuff.

PCs should NEVER get hold of more then one of these.
Well, I dunno, scribes and wayfinding seem alright to me. Burning too (wooo, fire damage). I could see a party with those three.

Cieyrin
2011-03-03, 04:02 PM
Deliquescence's clause on melting non-ice objects is weird and confusing. Taking 10 castings to create a Rock to Mud effect seems excessive and the clause after that about non-living creatures is just confusing. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2011-03-03, 04:20 PM
Deliquescence's clause on melting non-ice objects is weird and confusing. Taking 10 castings to create a Rock to Mud effect seems excessive and the clause after that about non-living creatures is just confusing. :smallfrown:
Fixed the clause about saves (was AD&D terminology I blindly copied to save some time). Should be clearer now.

Remember, this was an AD&D spell, meaning it was absurdly specific. Actually, I'm not entirely sure what deliquescence is meant for. :smallconfused: I think it just is supposed to melt stuff, which I guess is useful.