PDA

View Full Version : what I did wrong [3.5]

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 06:25 PM
As I am writing this down please note that I might not be of perfect understanding of the rules and which is why I am asking what I am doing wrong also thought of this after but I will break it into more easier to read chunks and probably add a bunch of punctuation because it saves lives

Okay First session please tell me what we did wrong, I already have an inkling

We start off in a dungeon since we just want to test the core of everything and how to do stuff I explain to everyone that this is a tutorial and we might have to remake characters and actually do rp (might not of said this but I said we will be doing rp part)

The dungeons is laid out before us (on a white board) with no monsters at all simply because, we don't have enough pieces and the ones we do are rather large, Its also because we haven't spotted them yet, the dm told us there is a pitfall trap in one of these rooms just to be nice, since we have no rogue.

our party is made up one ranger (much like how belkar is but he has no idea what the oots comic is, and not CE) one bard, a cleric who worships nurell (god of death forget name in phb), a wizard, and a druid(CN only relevant because he is rping his alignment rather well in the selfish way) we all use the same array off of the 38 point buy which was 17,17,11,11,11,11.

we walk down a hallway the cleric leading, as skeletons attack us it was equal spotting we all roll inititive, I believe they just jumped out. we were in a long single corridor, but the dm said that we could all fit there if battle arised, tightly, but we would fit.

The dm is new so I suggested since we are packed in a hall we take dex penalties 1,2,4,8. if 2 were in the corridor only 1 penatly, and double for each person squeezing in after since it would be hard to dodge if there are like 5 people in a cramped corridor(don't know if there is actually a rule for this kinda just made it up).

First round our melee guy gets knocked to 0 in one shot, it is the skeletons first turn and only one has gone, I having won third in initiative (second was the ranger first was skeleton) try to rebuke them both at the same time, but managed to roll a 4 on my rebuke check.

we eventually take out the skeletons with some problems, as the wizard thought he would cast spells as soon as he said the spell (new guy thought every spell was instant cast) and thought flare would hurt cratures thinking light is super effective on undead and after I told him that it did nothing, he had already cast it and then began to cast disrupt undead (not positive energy, like sunlight he thought attacks all had attributes and skeletons were weak against things with light attributes, like a flare or in pokemon how every pokemon has something that does double damage even though flare does no damage)

Our druid (who scored last on pc initiative) had alread squeezed into the hallway and I told him it would be rather hard to move after he attacks a skeleton with his sword. (scimatar)

The last skeleton tried to attack me but he didn't roll anything close to my ac as it was 18 (full plate cleric) and then the first skeleton attacks the druid hitting him for 5 damage.

My clerics turn once more I slam my scythe into a skeleton and killed him, by getting a nat 20 twice and rolling four on both of the damage rolls.(does 2d4)

The druid got behind the remaining skeleton by running through them and behind them getting a flank, he then rolls his dice to attack and he hits he then rolls damage getting a nat 20 on the attack roll.

Wizard pulls off disrupt dead, hits it for minimum damage (don't know if you add anything to this so we didn't) I miss horribly as does the druid wizard casts another disrupt dead and it dies as he got max damage he could.

We decide to rest after this the wizard almost out of spells and we each got 300 exp from those two monsters (both were 1/2 ecl I think they give about 150 exp each)

The druid set up a tent (using the survival skill) got a natural 20 the dm was like "its so sturdy it will survive earthquakes. " I also healed up the ranger to about 3 health (oout of combat healing rolled a d8 got three if this isn't how it works please tell me now as I did change it to be diffrent)druid used cure minor wounds not knowing it only heals one hp after I told him he shrugged and decided to not use it again.

My cleric takes first watch for the night and since my (2nd) character has yet to be introduced, (its the bard dm allowed me to be two characters) we introduce her basically as the wizard's player dream girl which had him yell irl.

After the meet and greet we slept until the morning in which we set out once more, this time I told the wizard he has to prepare his spells and that he isn't a sorc (though I am getting the feeling he will be happier as one since he can spontansiously cast anything).

We came across an azer and had no way of taking it down even though it had eleven hp only this time (unlike last time)it was in a doorway and no one ran behind the thing, he had 22 ac and not quite sure I assume you have to roll basically greater then that.

But some of us only have at best attack bonus of three that being the ranger with two punching daggers he takes -2 on attack rolls I believe. Even with inspire courage +1 we did nothing and he only attacked with his sword

Out of game I convinced the dm to let him have lesser ac so we could hit it and when we killed it we felt great everyone getting 600 exp from it (not sure how your supposed to do this so we each gor 600 exp for doing this).

we then come down another corridor and a blink dog comes from no where I quickly sate it with fasinate (also ranger left between encounters) (I rolled a 15+ my bard is level 2 didn't roll will save for blink dog) and diplomacy'd and it goes on its merry way(got 18 for that roll plus skill score was like 8).

We then continue and now 5 seconds later we come across a choker since the cleric is infront we instantly kill it since it has a finger of death spell once a day and is level 2 same as the chockers hd.(got another high number hit the creature and 1st in initive) We pretty much stop here I remember this not to the finest detail so editing powers GO (is going to try to rememeber every time we rolled dice but next time will even write down the numbers and such)

If anyone has thoughs on how to better edit this I will take that advice for next time let me just do some work before I hit start thread, also we never hit that trap and,

We got one treasure chest forgot about this it was between the skeletons and the azer Someone rolled search but no one wanted to go get it so I as the cleric got it and not until there was a magic item (dm said it was a magical wooden plank) did everyone come to there (next time I think there should be note passing)

If there is horrid grammar tell me some points and I will also work on that I don't want peoples eyes to melt and I have crap grammar sense.

Jopustopin
2011-03-01, 06:30 PM
If you guys are having fun, then you didn't do anything wrong. If you want to play by the "rules" of the game you guys should all crack open the PHB and read it.

Anxe
2011-03-01, 06:31 PM
Only thing wrong I noticed was the Blink dog and the Azer. They're a bit too strong for a 1st level party, and also they'd have no reason to get in a fight with you that I know of. Everything else seemed pretty normal for a learn-to-play session.

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 06:31 PM
I told everyone to do (read phb) so none have listened as we have only one hard cover copy and I am hoping we are doing some dice rolling wrong because if we get our asses kicked by 1/2 cr mobs then I need to some thought on how weak 1/2 ecl is and our dm was just looking for ecl 2 in MM

Anxe
2011-03-01, 06:33 PM
The same thing has happened to me as an experienced player. The first few levels are tough, which is why a lot of people like playing them.

Also, did the skeletons have the same penalty for the corridor that you had?

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 06:34 PM
The same thing has happened to me as an experienced player. The first few levels are tough, which is why a lot of people like playing them.

Also, did the skeletons have the same penalty for the corridor that you had?

they were just outside the hallway and in diffrent squares

Anxe
2011-03-01, 06:36 PM
Ah. Well strategy is nice. Next time have the strategy work in your favor instead of for the skeletons.

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 06:38 PM
I would think the running past the skeleton would cause him to be quite weak against attack

Anxe
2011-03-01, 06:41 PM
I was more thinking that you should've retreated to the other end of the corridor where your team came in. The skeletons probably would've followed you. Then the situation is reversed. You can attack them all at once, while they have to squeeze in the corridor.

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 06:44 PM
hmm Well I want to make sure we are playing by the rules and after a couple sessions I will be mkaing sure the dm makes a campaign but I feel like we are getting a bit too much experiance we are going by the chart should we be leveling up almost every other battle?

Savannah
2011-03-01, 06:47 PM
It sounds like you guys were making a lot of calls on the spot, so you might want to all go over those parts of the Player's Handbook after the game to see how the rules usually handle it. On the other hand, if you're all having fun, you're free to house rule stuff however you like.

if we get our asses kicked by 1/2 cr mobs then I need to some thought on how weak 1/2 ecl is and our dm was just looking for ecl 2 in MM

ECL (effective character level) and CR (challenge rating) are different things. ECL only matters if someone is playing a monster as a character. For a group of four 1st level characters, most of the monsters should be CR 1. However, CR is just a guideline, so the makeup and tactics of your group will affect what is easy and what is not. In addition, many players think that some of the CRs aren't quite right, so some creatures are more or less dangerous than their CR indicates. This is something you'll be able to judge better as you get more experienced in the game.

hmm Well I want to make sure we are playing by the rules and after a couple sessions I will be mkaing sure the dm makes a campaign but I feel like we are getting a bit too much experiance we are going by the chart should we be leveling up almost every other battle?

Not usually. But it sounds like your DM was using creatures that were harder than they should be for your level, which will give you more XP.

if there is horrid grammar tell me some points and I will also work on that I don't want peoples eyes to melt and I have crap grammar sense.

Capitalizing the first word of a sentence and making sure you don't put in really, really long sentences would help, but I was able to get the gist of what you were saying :smallsmile:

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 06:51 PM
We at least didn't fight the blink dog I was like {Scrubbed} I read that part that thing is a beast its no Cr 2 (thanks I personally didn't know there was a diffrence between the two)

Kelvara
2011-03-01, 08:14 PM
Well, if you're asking about rules things, there's some stuff you did wrong. It doesn't necessarily matter, as the rules are supposed to be flexible.

Things I noticed, it looked like you said you crit the skeletons, but they're immune to crits (all undead are). Also, when you healed, assuming it was Cure Light Wounds, you get to add your caster level to that (which I'm guessing is 1) so you would have healed 4.

One big thing I noticed, and you're not gonna like this, is that the exp you're getting is supposed to be divided by the number of characters involved. So if 4 level 1 characters fight an Azer, you should get 600 total and each character only gets 150. You can use the Encounter Calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) to figure out exp.

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 08:24 PM
Well, if you're asking about rules things, there's some stuff you did wrong. It doesn't necessarily matter, as the rules are supposed to be flexible.

Things I noticed, it looked like you said you crit the skeletons, but they're immune to crits (all undead are). Also, when you healed, assuming it was Cure Light Wounds, you get to add your caster level to that (which I'm guessing is 1) so you would have healed 4.

One big thing I noticed, and you're not gonna like this, is that the exp you're getting is supposed to be divided by the number of characters involved. So if 4 level 1 characters fight an Azer, you should get 600 total and each character only gets 150. You can use the Encounter Calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) to figure out exp.
actually I VERY MUCH like this this takes a load off my mind

Edit: forgot to say thanks that was what I really cared about

begooler
2011-03-02, 02:25 PM
If you're having fun and not getting into arguments about the rules, your basically doing it right. Also, its good that you're checking to see if you followed the rules correctly so that you know for next time. Some people already mentioned some corrections. Here are a few more details, and places in the book you can look up the exact rules for the situations you are talking about.

The dm is new so I suggested since we are packed in a hall we take dex penalties 1,2,4,8. if 2 were in the corridor only 1 penatly, and double for each person squeezing in after since it would be hard to dodge if there are like 5 people in a cramped corridor(don't know if there is actually a rule for this kinda just made it up).

There are rules for squeezing into a space in the PHB in the combat section on page 149. Also, your allies may end up benefiting from COVER (PHB 151) from one another.

First round our melee guy gets knocked to 0 in one shot, it is the skeletons first turn and only one has gone
It seems unlikely... though entirely possible that the skeleton could do that damage with a single attack, if your friend started at full health. This makes me want to know whether or not the skeleton was using a full attack, or single attack. Was the skeleton already next to the melee character when it attacked? If so, then it could make a full attack, (which would most likely be 2 claws.) If it were more than 5ft away, it would have to take a move action to approach the PC, and then a standard action to attack, and would only get to make a single attack. (One claw, or one attack with its weapon) [/quote]

But some of us only have at best attack bonus of three that being the ranger with two punching daggers he takes -2 on attack rolls I believe. Even with inspire courage +1 we did nothing and he only attacked with his sword
There's not enough information here to know if you calculated this right, but for your reference, here's the rules on fighting with two weapons:
Off hand weapon is not a light weapon (example: a longsword or scimitar) and you don't have the Two Weapon Fighting feat: -10 penalty on off hand, and -6 penalty on main hand.
Off hand weapon is light (for example a dagger) but you don't have the two weapon fighting feat: -4 penalty on main hand and -8 on the off hand.
Off hand weapon is not a light weapon, but you DO have the two weapon fighting feat: -4 on main hand, -4 on off hand.
Off hand weapon is light, and you have the two weapon fighting feat: -2 on both. (This probably describes your ranger, IF he is at least level 2, with the two weapon combat style and punching daggers.)

If the ranger was finding it impossible to hit, even with inspire courage, here are some things he could do:
He could FLANK (PHB 153,) by attacking the azer while an ally held the position in the square on the opposite side of the azer. This gives him a +2 bonus.
He could choose to attack with one weapon instead of both. This would eliminate the two weapon fighting penalty for that round. He does not have to drop the off hand weapon, just not attack with it.
He could CHARGE (PHB 154) into position to attack the azer. This would give him a +2 bonus on his attack roll. He can only make a single attack with one weapon if he does so. If he charges into a flanking position, he would also receive that bonus.
An ally could AID (PHB 154) him, forgoing their attack that round to give him a +2 bonus.

What I would suggest in the future is that instead of changing the stats of the monster, you and your allies strategize to accomplish what you need to do- or run away if you decide you won't be able to survive. The Azer is a tough challenge for your characters, and the DM should be careful about throwing it at you, but in order to get the credit for killing it you should use the statistics as they are listed.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 02:43 PM
As for the two weapon fighting I thought the only requirement is dexterty 17, which he has he chose it as his first level feat, because I don't know much about rangers.(didn't know the weapon style thing) and I was quite tired of doing everyones sheet for them I asked him to fill out his character sheet. (got that four page one since its larger and has small things just for newbies) and he couldn't figure out how to how to fill in the attributes I believe my exact words with censors was like this

Ranger: I don't know how to fill out this sheet

Me: read it, it says right there
(hour passes has been writing characters sheets on mythweaver just for backups)

Me:you finish?

Ranger: I don't know how to fill out attributes

Me:did you read

Ranger :yes

*looks at the sheet not even a single pencil mark, besides the top with the names and weight and such*

Me:did you read under the underlines where it says attribute +racial

Ranger:how am I supposed to know that

Me: Well first its the dice you roll and the racial's YOU HAVE TO READ.

this isn't the first time I have had angry issues with this ranger I assumed he was just trying to get me to do it

and then much later, I found out what took him an hour to finish what he had done. he was looking for a really long name so no one could possibly pronouce it

other then that my dm doesn't know there is diffrent attacks I know fullround is lightly. about the skeleton though it used a d6 to attack +1 it past the rangers defense and +1 to 6 it landed on boom ranger down
other then that I don't want to overload my friends brain and I fear what the next dm will be if he gets chosen *forsees railroaded*

vampire2948
2011-03-02, 02:53 PM
I told everyone to do (read phb) so none have listened as we have only one hard cover copy and I am hoping we are doing some dice rolling wrong because if we get our asses kicked by 1/2 cr mobs then I need to some thought on how weak 1/2 ecl is and our dm was just looking for ecl 2 in MM

Check out:

www.d20srd.com

Has all the rules, I think, from the PHB. And most of the monsters (some aren't there due to trademark / copyright trickery).

Vampire2948,

Eldariel
2011-03-02, 03:06 PM
Azer is a fine encounter to a level 1 party; I've soloed an Azer with a level 1 Cleric (admittedly, one with 21 AC and 18 Strength). The trick is not attacking its AC (though 20 is an auto-hit and thus you'll drop it eventually); you have spells, and alternative attacks. It's easy to hit; grappling it works very well. Tripping it also lowers its AC and it's not especially good at either.

In 3.X, you are expected to have a fighting chance against most creatures up to your average party level+4 in single fights. EL 2-3 encounters for a level 1 party are more than fine.

begooler
2011-03-02, 03:17 PM
A second level ranger can get Two Weapon Fighting for free if he chooses that combat style. This obviates your ranger's need to take Two Weapon Fighting at first level, however, the DM may rule that since he has the feat already, he is allowed to choose another one he qualifies for when he reaches second level. (Or he chould choose the archery combat style and get Rapid Shot.)
Since he is a halfling, I imagine his dex is better than his strength, so maybe he would want Weapon Finesse, allowing him to use his dex modifier on his attack rolls with light weapons.
Anyway, it sounds like you are tired of building the ranger for him, so just let him figure out what he wants.

As for the instance of being attacked by the skeletons, I can't understand well enough your description of what's going on to provide any insight into whether you're doing it right, but I'm happy to if you want to explain the situation again.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 03:21 PM
sorry If I didn't make this clear he is like belkar in the way he has really bad wisdom and can't cast spells and trying to go the warrior kind of guy not a mix he is a elf its how he got 9 con

and edit: Vampire I do know of this and I told all the players to go there at least one of them assumes that because I have read the books.
we have one player who thinks, that I am going to take out of my free time to clip note him into the stuff that matters.
I am okay with doing an extra character sheet for the newbies. I am okay with printing out character sheets for everyone (wasting a ton of ink in which each cartidge costs like 30 bucks), as long as I don't have to go over every detail and tell everyone what to roll and when.
Thats not fun for me to me thats me not playing with anyone thats just me playing bymyself with split personality (don't have it). Its why I am going through a tut with them after 1 just battles and one real session at least one person has stopped asking me what to roll and when (he still asks about battle things but thats fine he made the most progress)

Typewriter
2011-03-02, 03:40 PM
Some thoughts after reading your post:

our party is made up one ranger (much like how belkar is but he has no idea what the oots comic is, and not CE) one bard, a cleric who worships nurell (god of death forget name in phb), a wizard, and a druid(CN only relevant because he is rping his alignment rather well in the selfish way) we all use the same array off of the 38 point buy which was 17,17,11,11,11,11.

Just out of curiosity, why did you use that particular array? 38 points is higher than normal, but a bit more diversity may have helped you guys out some.

we walk down a hallway the cleric leading, as skeletons attack us it was equal spotting we all roll inititive, I believe they just jumped out. we were in a long single corridor, but the dm said that we could all fit there if battle arised, tightly, but we would fit.

A standard square is 5 feet wide, so getting the enemies to follow you to an open area might have been helpful. Sounds like good improvization :P

First round our melee guy gets knocked to 0 in one shot, it is the skeletons first turn and only one has gone, I having won third in initiative (second was the ranger first was skeleton) try to rebuke them both at the same time, but managed to roll a 4 on my rebuke check.

You normally roll max HP on your first HD as long as it's not from race or NPC class. I'm assuming your melee guy had a decent HD, so that seems odd?

My clerics turn once more I slam my scythe into a skeleton and killed him, by getting a nat 20 twice and rolling four on both of the damage rolls.(does 2d4)

The druid got behind the remaining skeleton by running through them and behind them getting a flank, he then rolls his dice to attack and he hits he then rolls damage getting a nat 20 on the attack roll.

You can't critically hit undead, but a natural 20 is still an auto-hit.

The druid set up a tent (using the survival skill) got a natural 20 the dm was like "its so sturdy it will survive earthquakes. " I also healed up the ranger to about 3 health (oout of combat healing rolled a d8 got three if this isn't how it works please tell me now as I did change it to be diffrent)druid used cure minor wounds not knowing it only heals one hp after I told him he shrugged and decided to not use it again.

Natural 1/20 doesn't affect skill rolls (survival). Low level healing kind of sucks, it's a D8+Caster Level (Maximum 5 for cure light wounds). Sounds like you should have healed 1 more?

My cleric takes first watch for the night and since my (2nd) character has yet to be introduced, (its the bard dm allowed me to be two characters) we introduce her basically as the wizard's player dream girl which had him yell irl.

After the meet and greet we slept until the morning in which we set out once more, this time I told the wizard he has to prepare his spells and that he isn't a sorc (though I am getting the feeling he will be happier as one since he can spontansiously cast anything).

It's not quite that he can cast anything, he has a very small number of spells known, but can cast them very often and doesn't have to prepare. Wasn't sure if you knew that or if you thought they had constant access to all spells.

We came across an azer and had no way of taking it down even though it had eleven hp only this time (unlike last time)it was in a doorway and no one ran behind the thing, he had 22 ac and not quite sure I assume you have to roll basically greater then that.

A natural 20 would hit regardless, and you can do things to help your situation. Flanking gives +2 to hit, charging gives bonuses to hit, bless is a cleric spell that grants +1 to hit.

He could have chosen to stop attacking with two weapons, and lost the -2 penalty. He only would have had one attack, but when you're having trouble hitting... of course rolling twice means you have two chances to get a 20, so.... either way works.

Out of game I convinced the dm to let him have lesser ac so we could hit it and when we killed it we felt great everyone getting 600 exp from it (not sure how your supposed to do this so we each gor 600 exp for doing this).

I think someone already mentioned splitting XP amongst the party members.

we then come down another corridor and a blink dog comes from no where I quickly sate it with fasinate (also ranger left between encounters) (I rolled a 15+ my bard is level 2 didn't roll will save for blink dog) and diplomacy'd and it goes on its merry way(got 18 for that roll plus skill score was like 8).

You should have rolled a perform check, not a bard check, and your result is the DC the blink dog would have had to pass.

We then continue and now 5 seconds later we come across a choker since the cleric is infront we instantly kill it since it has a finger of death spell once a day and is level 2 same as the chockers hd.(got another high number hit the creature and 1st in initive) We pretty much stop here I remember this not to the finest detail so editing powers GO (is going to try to rememeber every time we rolled dice but next time will even write down the numbers and such)

Who has finger of death 1/day?

begooler
2011-03-02, 03:52 PM

A cleric of Nerull was mentioned, so I'm assuming it's this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Death_Domain) which may or may not have been used correctly.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 03:55 PM
Some thoughts after reading your post:

the cleric its part of his domain powersas he follows nerull and it says death touch not finger of death sorry.

I know about 20 being auto hit but Might have forgotten ohh wait he never rolled a 20 nat so that doesn't matter and, I have to read harder this is why someone needs to read besides myself (dm reads but hasn't gotten to the rules)

also didn't realized that I did that wrong too

Typewriter
2011-03-02, 03:58 PM
The Death domain power does a max of 12 damage at level 2 unless you crit, and a standard choker has 16 HP. I think something with the choker may have been off, but need more information first.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 03:59 PM
yeah I did that wrong *facepalms*

Typewriter
2011-03-02, 03:59 PM
the cleric its part of his domain powersas he follows nerull and it says death touch not finger of death sorry.

I know about 20 being auto hit but Might have forgotten ohh wait he never rolled a 20 nat so that doesn't matter and, I have to read harder this is why someone needs to read besides myself (dm reads but hasn't gotten to the rules)

also didn't realized that I did that wrong too

As someone else mentioned having fun is the most important part, I'm just throwing out thoughts.

You can critically hit with any power that requires an attack roll, so the clerics domain power could have killed the choker in one shot, but it would have had to be a crit on a good roll.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:01 PM
I wasn't doing it right in game I thought it was you kill a creature with as many HD as you have cleric levels and pretty sure choker has 2 hd

Yora
2011-03-02, 04:02 PM
The only thing that strikes me as particularly odd is the attribute array you guys use. Putting everything in only two abilities is not a good choice for many classes and even if you do the two 17s are 6 points wasted. Reduce them to 16 and you have the same modifier of +3, but you can boost up all your 11s to 12s and one 14, which gives you additional modifiers of +5.
Also, 38 is really high.

It does work, of course. But I think you really should bring that one up again and consider using a more conventional form of distributing points on abilites.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:04 PM
The only thing that strikes me as particularly odd is the attribute array you guys use. Putting everything in only two abilities is not a good choice for many classes and even if you do the two 17s are 6 points wasted. Reduce them to 16 and you have the same modifier of +3, but you can boost up all your 11s to 12s and one 14, which gives you additional modifiers of +5.
Also, 38 is really high.

It does work, of course. But I think you really should bring that one up again and consider using a more conventional form of distributing points on abilites.

I just wanted to cover the lower level stuff. and then asked what everyone wanted to do they just copied me after I said that what I did and yes I know 38 is high

Typewriter
2011-03-02, 04:05 PM
Also, 38 is really high.

That's what I was thinking as well. With as many people going down in one shot, some stat diversity towards CON might have been helpful :P

begooler
2011-03-02, 04:06 PM
The Death Domain power is a death effect, not an attack that does damage. He either succeeds in killing it, by rolling 1d6 per cleric level and getting a result at least equal to the creature's current HP- otherwise the effect does nothing. A nat 20 would not crit because there is no actual damage roll, however it would automatically hit, at which point he rolls his d6's to see if it dies.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:11 PM
I really thank some people uptop that this is a tutorial. and I am hoping that everyone reads some of the books I lent them as they only seem to want to go into one class ever (cept the ranger but he is still playing like his last class fighter) (want to make everyone remake characters)

Yora
2011-03-02, 04:18 PM
Here's a tip that comes from 10 years of DM experience:

Players will never do any preperation work at home that you ask them to do.
Ever! :smallbiggrin:

I try it every time I have a new group, and nobody ever bothers to even think about a character concept before the first session beginns. I don't think anyone has even read the background info I send them for the ongoing campaign.

Typewriter
2011-03-02, 04:21 PM
The Death Domain power is a death effect, not an attack that does damage. He either succeeds in killing it, by rolling 1d6 per cleric level and getting a result at least equal to the creature's current HP- otherwise the effect does nothing. A nat 20 would not crit because there is no actual damage roll, however it would automatically hit, at which point he rolls his d6's to see if it dies.

I misread that, thanks for catching my mistake.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:26 PM

I try it every time I have a new group, and nobody ever bothers to even think about a character concept before the first session beginns. I don't think anyone has even read the background info I send them for the ongoing campaign.

I am not dm but I might be next position swaps

and I would try, to read things on my own time, might take me a while I have one character I want to do its a changling who has major insecurity issues and shape changes to make her self fit in and be pretty. Made her a woman cause I think its even more touching she is trying to fit in when she is not just acting like a guy but she have a guy body.

and we have one guy who doesn't want to join in (brother of the wizard) who has read through the srd not once but twice I just don't see him as often as I see these forums

calar
2011-03-02, 04:31 PM
Next time you guys fight a high AC monster with low HP, use spells that require touch attacks or saves to negate. If you come up empty on those, have your wizard check out this nifty spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueStrike.htm

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:33 PM
Next time you guys fight a high AC monster with low HP, use spells that require touch attacks or saves to negate. If you come up empty on those, have your wizard check out this nifty spell. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueStrike.htm

my wizard friend is of the blasting variety he didn't look into identify until I told him that it scans magic objects which I just read up on its expensive long and only works on one item I feel its a bad spell now

calar
2011-03-02, 04:36 PM
my wizard friend is of the blasting variety he didn't look into identify until I told him that it scans magic objects which I just read up on its expensive long and only works on one item I feel its a bad spell now
On the contrary, identify is GREAT to have. It is one of the few sure fire way to know exactly what the magic sword you looted can do. As for price, in the long run 100g becomes trivial, even though it seems like a lot at level one.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:40 PM
its not the price its the time say you get a good 6-7 magic items in the dungeon in game thats 6-7 hours ingame time hell we could take a second wizard and clear another dungeon and get 6-7 more

Tyndmyr
2011-03-02, 04:42 PM
On the contrary, identify is GREAT to have. It is one of the few sure fire way to know exactly what the magic sword you looted can do. As for price, in the long run 100g becomes trivial, even though it seems like a lot at level one.

It is a lot at level one. I highly reccomend the artificers monocle from MiC as an early magic item(level 15). Free, unlimited identifies.

The time isn't a big deal. That's what you do during downtime. When you find loot, you shove it inna sack without touching it, in case it's cursed. Therefore, you don't generally need to have identify prepped during adventure days.

calar
2011-03-02, 04:43 PM
its not the price its the time say you get a good 6-7 magic items in the dungeon in game thats 6-7 hours ingame time hell we could take a second wizard and clear another dungeon and get 6-7 moreThats why you don't use it while in a dungeon, save it for after the dungeon while resting. Also 6-7 magic items is a LOT to get in one run at low levels.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 04:45 PM
Thats why you don't use it while in a dungeon, save it for after the dungeon while resting. Also 6-7 magic items is a LOT to get in one run at low levels.

I meant in a higher level one not saying its the worse spell and then I relized what was wrong with what I said unless its a sorc It couldn't even do 6-7 items in one day

dark.sun.druid
2011-03-02, 05:26 PM

Personally, I think that half of the fun is working on characters outside of a game. I spend much of my free time doing exactly that! I currently have 4 characters that I'm working on outside of my game, each with a different purpose. As a more extreme example, my friend has over 20 characters in the works, all of which are well built for the role they are to serve.

Of course, this is without being asked. I think that I would work on something out of game that my DM asked me to, but I bet there would be a lot of people who wouldn't, so I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Just thought I'd chime in! :smallsmile:

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 07:05 PM
hopefully We will add another newbie playerI can then ditch the cleric job and just be the bard as I will pretty much say cleric goes bye bye to everyone :D (we have a druid but no guy with heavy armor and big hit points)

Savannah
2011-03-02, 07:56 PM
You don't necessarily need someone to serve as a tank (heavy armor and high hitpoints). If you want to get rid of that character now, you can. You'll just have to be a bit more careful with your tactics in battle.

slaydemons
2011-03-02, 08:00 PM
I play wow so I understand the roles But I meant the other part of the big four hopefully we can get some sort of sneaky sneaky going on :smallamused:

big four being the classic four people decribed in the players handbook