PDA

View Full Version : Contents of thieves tool kit?

Warsmurf
2011-03-01, 07:24 PM
Hi all, this came up in a game I played in years ago. But our fighter "companion" (see definition: Idiot), got himself arrested, the rest of the game almost was me busting him out as the rogue.
However my DM asked me for specifics of how I was going to deal with each obstacle. Which I was really happy to do buuuuut.
There were like 15 hinges that needed greasing.

This raised the question. What are the entire contents of a kit for opening locks and disabling devices? Is this printed anywhere? Or should I just make something up? (going to be a rogue again soon)

Thanks all

Flickerdart
2011-03-01, 07:35 PM
C4. Lots and lots of C4.

Sinpoder
2011-03-01, 07:37 PM
@^ Agreed!

Assassin89
2011-03-01, 07:38 PM
I think there is a picture of various tools in the PHB for D&D 3.5. As for opening locks, there is the lock pick or something used to cut chains.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-01, 07:39 PM
It is a great axe. Whether you are "opening a lock" (bashing a door) or "disarming a trap" (smashing the mechanism), the only thing you ever need is a great axe.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-01, 07:44 PM
The content's of a kit of Thieves’ Tools are exactly what you need for the job, just as the contents of a spell component pouch are what you need for any spell without costly material components. It's only fair for the DM to require details of how you go about using such tools if they also require precise details of the specific words and gestures of every single spell cast in the game.

D&D is a set of rules that are purposely simplified in many respects. Let's just go with that.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-01, 07:49 PM
It is a great axe. Whether you are "opening a lock" (bashing a door) or "disarming a trap" (smashing the mechanism), the only thing you ever need is a great axe.
Adamantine great axe.:smallamused:
In fact, I always call an adamantine two handed weapon a "barbarian lock pick."
But seriously folks, lock picks, oil for hinges, an open ended calender for listening without putting your ear to the door as well as helping with combination locks,a strong thin blade for prying the pivot from hinges, that's some of what I would take.

mobdrazhar
2011-03-01, 07:55 PM
there would probably also be a small set of bolt cutters, some screw drivers (both standard and watch sized ones), a small jimmybar. as well as the usual lock picks and oil

Jothki
2011-03-01, 08:02 PM
Acid probably couldn't hurt.

Maybe a tool that generates a burst of magical energy, as well as a minor source of antimagic. Not enough to actually stop a spell, but enough to tamper with a magical trigger.

Kerrin
2011-03-01, 08:09 PM
My thieves toolkit contains a wand with the Knock spell in it - waves hand - "It's magic!"

comicshorse
2011-03-01, 09:14 PM
Caltrops to discourage gaurds from any pursuit of you

Ravens_cry
2011-03-01, 09:31 PM
Other ideas:

A small sack of flour or other fine powder to reveal invisible creatures,
marbles to make enemies that insist on following you flatfooted

mint
2011-03-01, 10:43 PM
Lube, a knuckle duster and a autographed picture of Carmen Sandiego?

Dsurion
2011-03-02, 01:17 AM
Well, a modern set of lockpicks has at least 5-12 different picks just for a single type of lock (the pin-and-tumbler), plus a few torsion wrenches for leverage. While that's not exactly what's certain to be used in a D&D setting, it's a good start.

You'd likely have:
A very small saw
A few picks of different sizes and shapes
A small vial of specifically metal-dissolving acid
A small hammer and chisel
A bent probe, possibly made of copper
A wedge
A screwdriver

And a few other things, but that should cover most bases.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-02, 02:19 AM
I don't know about a regular Thieves' Tools kit, but it's pretty obvious what the masterwork version is:

http://www.instructables.com/image/F0VBHLFFU6LRGTT/Sonic-Screwdriver.jpg

Reynard
2011-03-02, 02:24 AM
Okay, open the PHB. Go to page 128.

See that list?

Buy all of it. Except things that just worse versions of other things. Like hemp rope when there's Silk right there.

Also, get Dungeonscape, and buy all of that as well.

Major
2011-03-02, 02:29 AM
I don't know about a regular Thieves' Tools kit, but it's pretty obvious what the masterwork version is:

http://www.instructables.com/image/F0VBHLFFU6LRGTT/Sonic-Screwdriver.jpg

Took me a second to realize that was a sonic screwdriver not a vibrator.

Eldan
2011-03-02, 02:55 AM
The content's of a kit of Thieves’ Tools are exactly what you need for the job, just as the contents of a spell component pouch are what you need for any spell without costly material components. It's only fair for the DM to require details of how you go about using such tools if they also require precise details of the specific words and gestures of every single spell cast in the game.

D&D is a set of rules that are purposely simplified in many respects. Let's just go with that.

Which is why Dark Eye is such a lot of fun to play :smallwink:
Spells fail if you get the words wrong. OOC.