PDA

View Full Version : Level Adjustment [3.5]

dark.sun.druid
2011-03-01, 08:58 PM
In the Libris Mortis, there is a 0LA template called Umbral Creature which turns the base creature into an incorporeal undead. They get an incorporeal touch attack to do STR damage, the ability to create spawn, and an inescapable craving for strength that must be satisfied every day or they start losing WIS, and at 0 WIS the character is temporarily surrendered to the DM (until the craving is satisfied). BAB, Fort, Will, and Ref are based on HD*.

In Savage Species, there is a 5LA template called Umbral Creature which turns the bace creature into an incorporeal undead. They get an incorporeal touch attack that does STR damage, and a limit on the number of spawn they can control (2*HD). They do not gain an inescapable craving. BAB, Fort, Will, and Ref are by class level.

Is the difference in inescapable craving enough to justify the 5LA difference between these two templates, especially with the limit on the number of spawn that can be controlled by the SS version (there are other slight differences, but they are mostly minor)?

ALSO, it is probably important to note that the LM version can create spawn only from humanoids, and creates shadows, whereas the SS version can create spawn from humanoids, monsterous humanoids, aberrations, animals, magical beasts, giants, and dragons, and creates other umbral creatures (as opposed to shadows). In both cases the spawn are under the control of their creator.

* BAB = 1/2 HD; Fort and Ref = 1/3 HD; Will = 1/2 HD+2. My other question is would this progression continue if the creature takes class levels, or would the new progression be based off of the base saves for the class levels?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-03-01, 09:22 PM
...or would the new progression be based off of the base saves for the class levels?

This, just like how multiclassing from barbarian to wizard doesn't continue giving you d12 HD and good BAB. Can't really answer your other questions, sorry.

dark.sun.druid
2011-03-01, 09:30 PM
This, just like how multiclassing from barbarian to wizard doesn't continue giving you d12 HD and good BAB. Can't really answer your other questions, sorry.

Alright, thanks. That's what I was assuming, but I wanted to ask to make sure.

vikingofdoom
2011-03-01, 09:39 PM
For my copy of LM, the Umbral creature has a LA of -, which means that it can't be used as a PC or cohort at all. Thus, it has nothing in common with the SS one other than name, which should answer the first question. Not to mention that any creature used to qualify for it would have its own LA, because it can't be a humanoid (they become shadows).

dark.sun.druid
2011-03-01, 09:52 PM
For my copy of LM, the Umbral creature has a LA of -, which means that it can't be used as a PC or cohort at all. Thus, it has nothing in common with the SS one other than name, which should answer the first question. Not to mention that any creature used to qualify for it would have its own LA, because it can't be a humanoid (they become shadows).

Ahh, I just assumed that - meant 0 (as in no level adjustment) because that is the same symbol used to indicate no ability score ( i.e. CON: - ). Very well. This just means that I will have to make a new build now, as the 5LA version would make it so that I am not able to reach the prestige class I want until level 18. Thank you, this solves my problem (although not in a way favorable to me).

Doug Lampert
2011-03-01, 09:59 PM
Ahh, I just assumed that - meant 0 (as in no level adjustment) because that is the same symbol used to indicate no ability score ( i.e. CON: - ). Very well. This just means that I will have to make a new build now, as the 5LA version would make it so that I am not able to reach the prestige class I want until level 18. Thank you, this solves my problem (although not in a way favorable to me).

Right parallel, wrong conclusion.

No con score is definitely not the same thing as con score 0.
No LA is not the same thing as LA 0.

DougL

Thurbane
2011-03-05, 01:44 AM
It's also fair to assume that the Libris Mortis version is the 3.5 update of the Savage Species (3.0) version.