PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What doesn't kill me...

Thurbane
2011-03-01, 09:22 PM
Inspired by the “Ways to power-up via damage to yourself thread”, I’m doing a thought exercise about a build that gets stronger the more it’s attacked. I’m considering using this as an NPC villain build in a future campaign.

So, my initial thoughts are either a Lashemoi or Turlemoi (MM5) for their Strength From Pain ability. Then throwing on the Spellwarped template (MM3) so that it gets stronger each time a spell fails to penetrate it’s SR.

So what feats, class abilities, items etc. “power you up” as you get damaged? We don’t use ToB, MoI or psionics in our games, but feel free to suggest stuff from these in general, if you like.

Cheers - T

CycloneJoker
2011-03-01, 09:30 PM
Sort of the Wolverine. It rages when it's hit. Does that count?

Qwertystop
2011-03-01, 09:38 PM
I think the way the Omniscifier gets his infinite bonus to all Knowledge skills has something to do with an infinite damage loop, Delay Death, and some way of getting recent damage as a boost to skill checks.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-01, 09:49 PM
Is this a new monster or building a character? I am afraid to admit I didn't really get it from the OP.

if this is for a homebrewed monster, I suggest giving Masochism (BoVD) as a spell like ability.

If it is a character... well the Robilar's Gambit + Karmic Strike+ Stormguard Warrior combo might work. (though it is quite feat intensive)

Thurbane
2011-03-01, 10:03 PM
It's for an NPC/monster build. Prefer no homebrew, please. :smallwink:

Master Thrower
2011-03-01, 10:21 PM
From Sword and Fist the ghost walker ,they get the ablility to play dead (not a joke) and if they are dropped below 50% and escape next time they face that same enemy they get a bonus equal to class levels in AC,Saves,Attack and damage

Waker
2011-03-01, 10:21 PM
Pain Mastery from Savage Species. Every 50 points of damage you take increases your strength by +2, lasts until the end of the encounter, at which point it exhausts you.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-01, 10:23 PM
Err Thurbane, by saying "but feel free to suggest stuff from these in general, if you like." you mean we can suggest things found in the books; but don't use the subsystem presented? (for example suggesing greater manyshot from the XPH)

If that is the case, I think I'll elaborate on the RG+KS+SW combo.

Stormguard warrior is a tactical feat from ToB which hasa great option that might work for your idea. Channel the Storm gives you a +4 untyped bonus on your attack and damage rolls, if you refrain from taking an AoO on your enemy.

Robilar's Gambit gives you an AoO when your opponent attacks you, so you start robilar's gambit, your opponent tries to hit you, you don't take the AoO and on the next turn you get a +4 to attack and damage. Good right?

Now if you add karmic strike, you don't even have to wait till next turn, when the enemy hits you can deliver an attack with the bonus from not taking the Robilar's gambit attack, or you can refrain from that attack and enjoy a +8 to attack and damage the next round.

true_shinken
2011-03-01, 10:23 PM
From Sword and Fist the ghost walker ,they get the ablility to play dead (not a joke) and if they are dropped below 50% and escape next time they face that same enemy they get a bonus equal to class levels in AC,Saves,Attack and damage

That ability is awesome. I love it.

Master Thrower
2011-03-01, 10:26 PM
That ability is awesome. I love it.

They are one of my favorite PrC. They arent the best for PC's but as recurring villians they are awsome :smallcool:

Thurbane
2011-03-01, 10:48 PM
Err Thurbane, by saying "but feel free to suggest stuff from these in general, if you like." you mean we can suggest things found in the books; but don't use the subsystem presented? (for example suggesing greater manyshot from the XPH).
Sorry for being unclear - I mean, I probably won't use it in my game (as these systems really don't get used in our games), but as a general discussion point or for others interested in a similar build, it may be useful.

Strangely, I was just reading the Ghost Walker PrC last night...I'm surprised I didn't remember that ability. :smallsmile:

Pain Mastery is another good suggestion, thanks.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-01, 10:56 PM
If that is the case, then my idea is invalidated :smallredface:....I'll try to think of something else; but not tonight as I need to sleep.

Lyndworm
2011-03-02, 12:40 AM
There's a Barbarian variant (pretty sure it's from Dragon Magazine, but I'm not sure) that gets Rage-like benefits when below 5*Brb level HP. That's all I have off the top of my head.

Thurbane
2011-03-02, 12:53 AM
There's a Barbarian variant (pretty sure it's from Dragon Magazine, but I'm not sure) that gets Rage-like benefits when below 5*Brb level HP. That's all I have off the top of my head.
Ah yes, that's the Berserker Strength variant from PHB2. Nice catch. :smallsmile:

Lyndworm
2011-03-02, 12:56 AM
It IS the PHb2! Well, I'm glad to know where I saw it, even if I was totally wrong.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-02, 01:06 AM
There are a bunch of things that give bonuses when you're at or below half HP, such as the [Item] of Valor set from Complete Champion. They're actually pretty cheap so you could get them all on the same NPC without too much trouble.

Stalwart Pact would be another example, but that's a one-shot thing.

Runestar
2011-03-02, 06:07 AM
BOVD has the sado spell which gives you attack/damage bonuses when you take damage.

Think there was one such build, basically a frenzied berserker build with robilar's gambit and a weapon of wrathful healing. His AC was practically zero, he was a damage magnet, but dished out plenty and healed rather quickly.

Heliomance
2011-03-02, 06:50 AM
The build to which you refer was called the Masochist (Hit Me Please). Sadly it's been lost to the Gleemax purge, but someone may have archived it.

Thurbane
2011-03-02, 08:16 PM
Hmm, a Vicious Wrathful Healing weapon might be in order...very expensive, though.

The Masochism spells seems great, but at only 1 round level, and for a non-caster, might be tough to wrangle. Sadly, it's range: personal, so no potions...unless I stick it in a wand and try to UMD it. Would have to pump the caster level a bit, too.

AtomicKitKat
2011-03-02, 09:04 PM
Pain Mastery was already mentioned, but there's a similar Feat a couple pages before/after that added Constitution as well. I just mentioned both last month. The concensus was that the bonuses don't accumulate(untyped, same source), but from a fluff point, they should. If only because that makes the Incredible Hulk more credible.:smallwink:

Thurbane
2011-03-02, 09:30 PM
The Crystal of Rubicund Frenzy (MIC) would be apt, too.