PDA

View Full Version : BoED Vow Based Character

Pard
2011-03-01, 10:39 PM
I consider this a roleplaying challenge. It is by no means meant to be some super awesome min/max character. I am in a campaign which will be starting soon. My DM has given me the go ahead to take Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, and Vow of Peace. I can manage all this from level 1 because I start with four feats (normal lvl 1 feat + human feat + 2 flaws). This means I will still have one feat to use for anything I want (since Vow of Poverty allows me to take one of the other Vows).

I need a class. Something that will not be completely useless to my party. I have a big(ish) party, about five or six total players. I can be pretty useless in combat situations and I am sure that I will make up for that with excellent social skills.

Right now I am thinking of three classes. Factotum. Beguiler. Cloister Cleric.

What do you think I can should take? Any source from 3.5 is accepted. As I said I am playing a human.

Please don't waste my time by moaning about the feats and how they are for NPCs or how they are useless or w/e. This is an exercise in roleplaying. It is not meant to be a good combat character and I can accept that.

Black_Zawisza
2011-03-01, 10:45 PM
If you're looking for a roleplaying challenge, I would go with Beguiler. You don't see many Exalted Beguilers around :smalltongue:

Lord.Sorasen
2011-03-01, 11:07 PM
If you're looking for a roleplaying challenge, I would go with Beguiler. You don't see many Exalted Beguilers around :smalltongue:

Beguiler is actually a good choice. You get spells so you can rely less on magic items, have tons of powers which are non-lethal (which means the DCs rise from vow of peace), and can qualify for exalted Arcanist and learn a ton of new spells. You may lose a level of spellcasting, but actually advanced learning sometimes makes losing a level a good thing.

If your DM insists "No spell components" a psion can make a good choice for that "no killing people" thing.

EDIT: Have you talked to your DM about sainthood? With that many exalted feats, you could maybe qualify... And Saint is insanely powerful in a lot of ways.

Akal Saris
2011-03-01, 11:57 PM
I'd say that cloistered cleric is the strongest of those three, and possibly even the most fitting for the feats.

You might also consider the Healer class from Mini's Handbook if you're not necessarily interested in power, since the vows dovetail well with the Healer's fluff, and the class doesn't lose much from them. If Dragonlance material is allowed, the 'Healing Hand of Mishakel' prestige class from Holy Orders of the Stars requires a similar Vow of Peace and furthers the healing role.

For an odd character, you could go Beguiler 8/Apostle of Peace 2/Mystic Theurge 10, to get 9th level divine and arcane spells from 2 very different lists.